Thread: Losing fat

xil1821 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Losing fat

I'm about 5'8" and 162 lbs. My goals are not the same as most people here. I used to be overweight by a little bit and dropped it all. I'm very active and healthy and even though it doesnt look like it from the pictures, Im pretty fit. My strength and endurance is good from bodyweight exercises, functional training. For perspective, I can easily do around 15 good formed pullups - my max being 27. I havent tested it lately but I also maxed around 80 pushups.

Im not looking to be huge or shredded although respect those of you who put that amount of dedication in. Im going to do IF (16/8) with around 1500 cals/day and continue doing functional training. For example, spending time training on courses similar to american ninja warrior. How long would it take me, for example, to get somewhere like this? (remove spaces)http ://superherojacked.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/tomholland.png

Again, I'm not looking for a bunch of people to say I need to gain 20 lbs of muscle. It just isnt my goal. Maybe when I lose some more fat ill slowly bulk but not the focus now.

Any tips?

(remove spaces)
    https ://ibb.co/jGSj2v
    https ://ibb.co/djhv9a

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to get that look or similar, you're going to have to gain a decent amount of muscle. You're also going to have to follow an actual lifting program instead of just functional training or ninja warrior courses.

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    If you want to get that look or similar, you're going to have to gain a decent amount of muscle. You're also going to have to follow an actual lifting program instead of just functional training or ninja warrior courses.
    This seems to contradict most of what I've read re training. I.e., many people only functional train (Tom Holland, Stephen Amell, plenty of non celebs). Tom Holland is 141lbs. Are you saying I need to lose *more* than 20 lbs of fat?

Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Derekcerva has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by xil1821 View Post
    This seems to contradict most of what I've read re training. I.e., many people only functional train (Tom Holland, Stephen Amell, plenty of non celebs). Tom Holland is 141lbs. Are you saying I need to lose *more* than 20 lbs of fat?
    Im getting a broken link. if he is 141 what is his height? Height to weight ratio makes a huge difference in physique. No you don't need to gain huge amount of muslce if you want to be athletic it may be of detriment. But going on a slow gaining phase Maybe .25-.5lbs/wk could help you add some good quality muscle and may give you the appearance of being leaner.

Side not 1500 calories seems very low, what if your current activity like?
    Force Factor Rep
    https://www.forcefactor.com/products
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/store/force-factor/force-factor.htm

Follow us
    IG: @ForceFactor
    FB: @ForceFactorFitness

UNLEASH YOUR POTENTIAL

Originally Posted by Derekcerva View Post
    Im getting a broken link. if he is 141 what is his height? Height to weight ratio makes a huge difference in physique. No you don't need to gain huge amount of muslce if you want to be athletic it may be of detriment. But going on a slow gaining phase Maybe .25-.5lbs/wk could help you add some good quality muscle and may give you the appearance of being leaner.

Side not 1500 calories seems very low, what if your current activity like?
    He is 5'8" same as me. Sorry. Re images, you have to remove the spaces, I cannot post links. Let me know if your opinion changes once you see pics. I'm in an office 8-5. 2-4 days I week I do non-specific training (boxing, mixed sort of "activity"). I'm now adding every morning trying to get some more focused training in, things like TRX bands, pull ups, pushups which I haven't done in quite a while. So many 15-25 minutes each AM. Again, my goals are not what most are here. I'm not focused on x reps by y sets of z exercise. Overall activity levels and losing fat is the game.

Does anyone else have feedback?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Your goal physique doesn't have a lot of muscle, so your bodyweight approach is probably fine. The one possible exception is abs. Everyone has abs. Technically, you can lose enough weight to reveal them, but if your abs are naturally small and undeveloped, you may have to get skinny to reveal them.

You should start doing some core work and WEIGHTED ab work to start developing some ab size. I'd normally suggest weighted squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts. In your case, google building abs for some ideas. You don't need to do endless sit-ups and crunches. I actually use P90X Ab Ripper routine along with some weighted curls woodchoppers (and plenty of core work with weights.)

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    Your goal physique doesn't have a lot of muscle, so your bodyweight approach is probably fine. The one possible exception is abs. Everyone has abs. Technically, you can lose enough weight to reveal them, but if your abs are naturally small and undeveloped, you may have to get skinny to reveal them.

You should start doing some core work and WEIGHTED ab work to start developing some ab size. I'd normally suggest weighted squats, overhead presses, and deadlifts. In your case, google building abs for some ideas. You don't need to do endless sit-ups and crunches. I actually use P90X Ab Ripper routine along with some weighted curls woodchoppers (and plenty of core work with weights.)
    Thanks for the feedback. Looking at my pictures, do I need to gain significant muscle? How much weight do I need to lose? What sort of time frame do you think? It's not necessarily end goal, just somewhere reasonable to get to work from. I'm doing some dedicated ab work now actually.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Thanks for the feedback. Looking at my pictures, do I need to gain significant muscle? How much weight do I need to lose? What sort of time frame do you think? It's not necessarily end goal, just somewhere reasonable to get to work from. I'm doing some dedicated ab work now actually.
    No way to say on the weight. My GUESS is you'll need to lose 20-25 pounds. The thing is, how do you feel about weighing 135-140 pounds? It'll be hard for me to say about muscle mass, until you drop at least 10-15 pounds, then we might have a better idea.

My gut feeling is that at 140 pounds, you'd look pretty close to your goal physique. My advice for now would be to continue to cut at a reasonable pace and continue to do your bodyweight exercises. But consider doing things like put a backpack with some weight in it on your back for the pushups, pull ups, and dips. In other words, add a little more resistance when/where you can. You can even elevate your feet onto a chair or ottoman or something like that for your pushups to make them more difficult. The increased resistance will encourage your body to save/protect muscle while you cut fat and, in some cases, you can actually build muscle during a cut if your a new "lifter" (your body doesn't know if your lifting weights or your body weight), but you have to be taking in plenty of protein.

Good luck. Feel free to pm me if you'd like. I'd be interested in how it works out for you (results).

Originally Posted by CommitmentRulz View Post
    No way to say on the weight. My GUESS is you'll need to lose 20-25 pounds. The thing is, how do you feel about weighing 135-140 pounds? It'll be hard for me to say about muscle mass, until you drop at least 10-15 pounds, then we might have a better idea.

My gut feeling is that at 140 pounds, you'd look pretty close to your goal physique. My advice for now would be to continue to cut at a reasonable pace and continue to do your bodyweight exercises. But consider doing things like put a backpack with some weight in it on your back for the pushups, pull ups, and dips. In other words, add a little more resistance when/where you can. You can even elevate your feet onto a chair or ottoman or something like that for your pushups to make them more difficult. The increased resistance will encourage your body to save/protect muscle while you cut fat and, in some cases, you can actually build muscle during a cut if your a new "lifter" (your body doesn't know if your lifting weights or your body weight), but you have to be taking in plenty of protein.

Good luck. Feel free to pm me if you'd like. I'd be interested in how it works out for you (results).
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm working on the slow cut now. I do some higher resistance stuff in the form of speed and holds (holding at top of a pullup, ex) but will certain begin adding some weight.

My scale with bodyfat says I'm 13.6% this AM. Seems low.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    My scale with bodyfat says I'm 13.6% this AM. Seems low.
    Ignore that, those things are wildly inaccurate.

Quick update as to where I am. I've yo-yoed a bit but currently 155 and look like this https :// ibb.co/RzH7Vxy (remove space)

Online body fat calculators peg me around 17% which feels like it might be right. My chest has gained just under an inch in the past year or so. How much more weight does this audience estimate I need to lose to get at least partially visible abs? Assuming 17% is real, losing 8lbs would put me around 13%. Any additional feedback?

Bump

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    You might not get there without building some more muscle first. Perhaps limit yourself to 150lbs and if there is no sign of them, don't push it further, just do a mass gain phase

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    You might not get there without building some more muscle first. Perhaps limit yourself to 150lbs and if there is no sign of them, don't push it further, just do a mass gain phase
    What weight would you think I need to get to in order to have some visible abs?

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    What weight would you think I need to get to in order to have some visible abs?
    I don't know but like I said, it's not worth it if you have to look like a scarecrow in the process. Abs is only one part of a good physique - which requires more time dedicated to muscle gain than fat loss - by a LONG way. No, I am not talking about "huge bodybuilders", I am talking about more modest "lean and muscular" type goals.

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    I don't know but like I said, it's not worth it if you have to look like a scarecrow in the process. Abs is only one part of a good physique - which requires more time dedicated to muscle gain than fat loss - by a LONG way. No, I am not talking about "huge bodybuilders", I am talking about more modest "lean and muscular" type goals.
    Yea I agree with that. I'm just trying to figure out a baseline, even if I don't get there now.