Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Thumbs up How difficult would it be to attract new trainers/instructors to my studio?

I would like to officially open a fitness studio in my area, but have very little idea of the market demand for this.

The location I have in mind is approximately 2,200 square feet and I would like to renovate the space to include an aerobic fitness floor, mirrored walls, a front desk and cafe area, and mini spa services (simple, yet upscale/trendy environment at a downtown location).

The primary source of revenue would be fitness studio rentals. Ideally we would like to rent the studio out to group fitness instructors/trainers for about $1,500 per month. This would include use of the studio for any 3 days a week up to 2 hours each session.

I find this to be a good deal considering the trainer would have the ability to market themselves and obtain their own clients. They can charge anything they want.

Example 1: 15 regular clients X $300 per month = $4,500 earned per month - $1,500 rental fee = $3,000 net
    Example 2: 15 regular clients X $50 per session X 9 sessions per month = $6,750 earned per month - $1,500 rental fee = $5,250 net

We would also offer variations of this and also different variations for personal trainers who would like to train groups of less than 5 clients. Personal trainers for individuals or smaller groups who would like to rent out the studio would likely be charged a small initial membership fee + 30% of each session.

So my question is, how reasonable does this sound? Will I have a difficult time finding group instructors and personal trainers that have 15 regular clients and would like to rent out the space? I do have a marketing plan which includes commission to my team (some are fitness models) for finding new instructor/trainer contracts, but I would like to better understand the market and whether or not it will be reasonable to charge $1,500 per month for use 3 days per week (max 12 days per month) up to 2 hours each session.

If I could find 5 instructors to do this every month, that would bring in $90,000 per year. Well enough to continue to grow operations and function efficiently. If we had a few slow months at only 2-3 group instructors, that would be okay too.

Thoughts? Is $1,500 per month unreasonable? The studio would be welcome to Male/Female instructors of any age, yoga, training, dance, zumba, etc. Location would be an area comparable to a small city like downtown Tampa or Orlando. There are several corporate/franchise gyms in the area, but not many standalone fitness studios that I'm aware of. Maybe a few small yoga rooms, but nothing too wow about it (mostly senior/middle aged crowd). This studio would stand out due to our fitness models and marketing which will only bring more revenue to the instructors as well by bringing them more clients.

No heavy free weights, only a few cardio machines, dumbbells, and other light workout equipment. Thanks guys.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-28-2017 at 07:59 PM.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    The reason to pay rent is to have access to a membership base. Anyone can set up a studio, but where do my clients come from? In a big gym with 2,400 members there'll be 80 or so willing and able to pay for personal training, during a busy Monday there'll be 40 people there, so 1-3 will be interested in PT, having the chance to work the gym floor and talk to those people are what PTs pay for.

If I already have 15 clients of my own and a good income, why would I pay you rent? I can just open my own place and pay rent on that instead.

If the "primary source of revenue" is trainer rentals rather than gym membeships, then you have admitted that you do not expect to be able to get and keep gym members for PTs to work with. I can't get anyone off the gym floor if the place is empty. So no, I wouldn't be getting $6,750 a month.

You'll get some PTs to sign up, 19 year olds fresh out of PT school who don't know any better. But they'll all fail, and you'll have to find more, and so on. Thus your business model will be based on having everyone fail. This is dishonest and morally wrong. It helps neither gym members nor trainers. People like you are a large part of what is wrong with our industry.

iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) iFitnessStudio is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I was following you up until this:
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Thus your business model will be based on having everyone fail. This is dishonest and morally wrong. It helps neither gym members nor trainers. People like you are a large part of what is wrong with our industry.
    Why does your comment have to go that far and make this assumption? I understand maybe you or others are frustrated, but there is no dishonesty or wrongdoing intended.

That is a good point about renting space where there are already members, however, my perspective is that many fitness trainers don't have the means to start their own studios otherwise they would be everywhere. It requires quite a bit of startup capital and even luck to find a good location. Why pay $3000+ a month and the headache to run your own business (rent space, utilities, wages, overhead, etc.) when they could pay $1,500 a month and have a professional studio available for them? All they do is sign a contract, get a key, schedule their classes, and they're good to go. They could market themselves as they wish, and the studio would also market to obtain memberships.

As for the personal trainers "failing" this hadn't crossed my mind at all. But my intention would be to build relationships with them hoping they would eventually grow enough to start holding their own larger group sessions.

If a personal trainer pays $50 for initial membership and does 5 individual sessions per month at $50, they earn $250 - 30% fee - $50 membership = $125. They can of course not rent our studio and go about their own means, but by paying a small fee would be a great way to be a part of the studio and market themselves with our brand, eventually becoming a group instructor if they perform well.

Do you really consider that to be dishonest? Perhaps I could pay them $20 per hour for 5 large 1 hour group sessions per month. They would only make $100 (minus $50 membership fee) compared to $125 for 5 individual sessions where they have the opportunity to quickly grow their own earning potential.

Thanks for your feedback, I look forward to your response.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-28-2017 at 08:28 PM.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by iFitnessStudio View Post
    I was following you up until this:

Why does your comment have to go that far and make this assumption? I understand maybe you or others are frustrated, but there is no dishonesty or wrongdoing intended.
    Maybe it's because you have your business formula backwards. Why are you interested in opening a studio...to sincerely educate and help people to live healthier lives, or to make money? If your PRIORITY is to make money before anything else, then you will just be looked upon as another Planet Fitness, 24 Hour Fitness or the latest infomercial snake oil gadget, etc...all things wrong with this industry.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    No one is going to pay you 1500 a month. No one.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    That is a good point about renting space where there are already members, however, my perspective is that many fitness trainers don't have the means to start their own studios otherwise they would be everywhere. It requires quite a bit of startup capital and even luck to find a good location.
    Not really. You can start in your own garage with, depending on your training style and how well you shop, $1-10k of gear. Site rental obviously varies hugely based on location, but if it's just 1 trainer with 10-20 clients then they don't need much space, as I said a garage will do, especially if there's a nearby park.

Why pay $3000+ a month and the headache to run your own business (rent space, utilities, wages, overhead, etc.) when they could pay $1,500 a month and have a professional studio available for them?
    In most places they won't have to pay $3k a month, if as I said it's just them. You need basically 1m2 or 10sqft for each client, on average. Halve it if you do split shifts, ie train people not only mornings or evenings, but both. No PT needs 2,200sqft for 10-20 clients, it's literally ten times bigger than it needs to be.

You need more space if you're doing group classes or if you want to have non-personal training members to subsidise the rest. Likewise, 10-20 clients doesn't require hiring any staff, dealing with 100+ people certainly will.

Yes, paperwork and all that is a hassle, but the PT will have to do some of that anyway in your place, and honestly if a PT can't handle paperwork and numbers they won't be successful wherever they are.

The reason trainers don't all do this is that setting up and running a place is simple, the hard part is getting and keeping clients. Anyone can put a bunch of kettlebells or barbells or whatever in their garage and hang out a sign, but will anyone come and pay them? PTs pay rent at a big gym for access to the membership base. That's it. This is why they pay more rent for a 5,000 member gym in a major city's central business district than a 1,000 member gym in a small town with a dying industry.

You're talking money numbers, but are forgetting more important numbers, where the money actually comes from: gym members and clients. Gym members have a thousand different places they can go to, why will they go to your place? Likewise PT clients. Without members your only income is PT rental, and without members PTs have no reason to pay you rent.

And once you've got them, how will you retain the members? People go to and leave a place because of 1. friendliness of staff, 2. cleanliness of the facilities and 3. overcrowding. Having staff permanently on the gym floor deals with the first two issues. But if staff are paying rent to train people there, they won't be on the gym floor reliably - the unsuccessful trainers will be looking for somewhere else to go, and the successful ones will just train their clients and then get off the gym floor. So there'll be no staff to be friendly, and the facilities will get dirty. So you'll have a massive turnover of staff.

Staff will stay on the gym floor if you pay them to do gym shifts, and introductory appointments for new members, and clean the place up. And then members will stay.

There's a lot you have to learn.
    Last edited by KyleAaron; 06-28-2017 at 09:22 PM.

Originally Posted by 401Delta View Post
    Maybe it's because you have your business formula backwards. Why are you interested in opening a studio...to sincerely educate and help people to live healthier lives, or to make money?
    It's a business just as anything else. If I have the means to open a studio and employ others while providing a service that others are happy to pay for, I don't see the issue. Sure, there are probably a number of struggling personal trainers, I'd be happy to learn about their concerns and implement/incorporate a strategy to make everyone happy. Do you have any suggestions?

All my business plans incorporate charitable activities and giving back to the community, and we would likely hold various showcasing events and networking opportunities for everyone.

No PT needs 2,200sqft for 10-20 clients, it's literally ten times bigger than it needs to be.

And once you've got them, how will you retain the members? People go to and leave a place because of 1. friendliness of staff, 2. cleanliness of the facilities and 3. overcrowding. Having staff permanently on the gym floor deals with the first two issues. But if staff are paying rent to train people there, they won't be on the gym floor reliably - the unsuccessful trainers will be looking for somewhere else to go, and the successful ones will just train their clients and then get off the gym floor. So there'll be no staff to be friendly, and the facilities will get dirty. So you'll have a massive turnover of staff.
    The PT will be sharing the studio with others. Also it's not a gym, it's simply a 2,200 sq. ft. fitness studio available to be rented...particular targeting the instructors/trainers who have accumulated a number of clients and would like to offer larger group sessions. My staff would include a part-time front desk person and also a general manager...other than that, the independent instructors, trainers, and all other members will be responsible for themselves.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    No one is going to pay you 1500 a month. No one.
    Can you elaborate please? I've researched quite a bit and it does not seem unreasonable, but I'd like to understand why you make this claim. Some trainers get paid hourly, others pay a percentage, and others pay a flat fee. A flat fee tends to be the best option for group trainers. If $1,500 is too much, I'd like to understand precisely why so I can re-evaluate my model accordingly.

As I've worked the numbers, if a personal trainer can obtain 15 regular clients (combined with my company's efforts) who pay them $200 per month for 9 sessions each month (that's only $22/session), they will earn $3,000 and net $1,500 after our rental fee. Compare that to if they were to be paid $50 per hour (high wage) for 9 1 hour group sessions. They would only make $450 per MONTH, while I made all the money off memberships.

The plan is that these independent instructors will have the freedom to market themselves and rent our studio rather than the studio marketing and managing hundreds of memberships.

Beyond help.

People should really work in an industry they plan to open a business in.

Beyond help.

People should really work in an industry they plan to open a business in.
    This type of comment does not help. And you haven't brought up any serious concerns yet despite all your input. Why would a trainer work for a corporate gym as a group instructor and get paid scraps when they can promote themselves and charge their own fee at a private studio? To my understanding, most gyms don't even allow independent trainers to use their facility.

Also, by the way, the nearest facility I've found by a quick search that rents out their studio charges $45 per hour + $5 per head. So ($45 X 9 1-hour sessions) + ($5 X 15 heads) = $405 + $75 = $480.

That is cheap compared to a $1,500 flat fee, but it is not a prime location and those trainers are likely not able to charge anywhere near $200 per month at that location. Our location would be a fitness studio niched in a high traffic downtown area.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-28-2017 at 10:07 PM.

Annnd my calculation for the other place is off... forgot to multiply the headcount by 9 separate sessions.

So $405 base fee + ($75 X 9 sessions) = $1,080 rental fee for a smelly old gym studio in a small ran down part of town.

Compared to $1,500 flat fee for a professionally marketed and independently ran name brand studio in downtown.

This type of comment does not help. And you haven't brought up any serious concerns yet despite all your input. Why would a trainer work for a corporate gym as a group instructor and get paid scraps when they can promote themselves and charge their own fee at a private studio? To my understanding, most gyms don't even allow independent trainers to use their facility.
    I've explained it to you, but you don't have the base of knowledge even to understand the explanation. So the following will be futile for you, but may be of interest to others.

No, gyms don't allow independent trainers. They take them on as employees (waged) or contractors (percentage or rental), and the PT then works the gym floor to find clients. They may or may not be paid a flat rate to do group classes, group classes being essential for female member retention.

There is a sticky explaining this sort of thing. But you've done so little research into the industry you haven't even read the stickies in this forum. It has over 1,000 views, evidently none of them are yours. I'll even link it for you.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=174182751

As Ronin said, nobody is going to pay you $1,500 a month to train people at your gym. They won't even pay you $500 a month, because you don't even know how you're going to get members. You don't know your target demographic, or how gyms are structured to attract various demographics. For example, permanent staff are necessary if you want any older people, free group fitness classes if you want women, and so on. Nobody will pay to work an empty gym floor, and if they can get 15 clients on their own to come to the gym, they'll just open their own place instead.

At the moment you're like a guy who's never worked out trying to design a programme, it's just a big jumble of self-contradictory ideas that'll take you nowhere. You should look at the franchises around and see how they do things. Unstaffed 24hr gyms to staffed community gyms to training gyms like crossfit to small PT studios, each is structured a certain way for a reason. Success leaves tracks. Follow them.

Well your opinion is a bit shortsighted and logic is flawed.

So you're telling me if a PT has the means to instruct a group exercise class, they wouldn't want to rent a professional studio for $1,500?

Here is a pricing structure for PTs based on a $60/hour goal:

"fitnessmentors.com/pricing-structure/"

And as you can see from the given example, a private 4 session per week schedule can be priced around $960 per month.

SO:

**If a reputable PT sticks with the private 4 sessions per week schedule and has 5 individual clients, they will earn $4,800 per month.

**If a reputable PT can obtain 15 clients for group sessions at a FRACTION of the cost (say $300 per month), they will earn $4,500 - $1,500 fee = $3,000 per month

So be honest here, would it be easier to obtain 5 clients on your own at $960 dollars? Or would it be easier to obtain 15 clients at $300 for group sessions?

In addition to going the group session route, this will also simultaneously boost your marketing capability to upsell and offer enhanced private sessions to your clients.

Be honest, are PTs working the floor at a gym like LA Fitness making $3,000+ per month? Sure, they could be, but they are subject to an hourly rate structure and a little commission perhaps. The gym might charge $400+ per month for a member to receive 5 sessions per month. So why wouldn't a reputable independent instructor want to build their own list of clients, charge them LESS than what it costs to receive personal training at a gym, and have a far GREATER earning potential?

I am truly at a loss with your logic. In my opinion, the private studio would be a win for everyone, clearly. The only issue would be limited space so once the studio has built a reputation and surplus, we could branch to other areas and offer the same excellent value and service.

You are complaining about PTs getting ripped off, yet advising me to check out the very gyms that are ripping others off and setting them up to fail. You are suggesting for me to follow the order of those gyms while I am here thinking outside the box and offering a better value.

Sorry, but your input doesn't make sense...and you have a poor attitude to match it.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-29-2017 at 06:21 AM.

Nobody will pay to work an empty gym floor, and if they can get 15 clients on their own to come to the gym, they'll just open their own place instead.
    Elaborate how this even makes sense? If someone can get 15 clients to do group training, where will they do the training? At their home? At a gym (which you just confirmed tend to prohibit independent trainers)?

So you're claiming they will just magically start their own studio for less than $1,500 per month? I can tell you that for anyone to even start their own professional studio, you will need a couple tens of thousands of dollars. So having just 15 clients alone won't pay the bills of your own studio unless you can fork up the required start up capital as well.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-29-2017 at 06:44 AM.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Give it a go and report back in 12 months. One of you two will be right.
    www.dreesperformance.com

It is time that PT schools stopped working with these dodgy rental gyms to funnel naive young PTs to them. It's a system based on exploiting ignorance and is wrong. But since PT schools won't stop it, all we can do is spread the word: no new PT should sign a rental agreement with a gym. Please spread this around.
    Also, this is your advice from the thread you linked me to, which I've already read. You claim yourself, no NEW PTs should enter into a rental contract. I absolutely agree which is why my pricing model, as mentioned way above, will be a percentage base for smaller individual sessions (aka the newer less established PTs) and there will be a flat rental fee of $1,500 for the more established PTs who have the ability to obtain minimum 15 clients and charge whatever they want. Also being a 2,200 sq. ft. studio, it can easily fit 30+ people at once. That is extraordinary earning potential and opportunity in my opinion.

Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    Give it a go and report back in 12 months. One of you two will be right.
    Working on it, and definitely will do.

401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) 401Delta has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sorry, but your input doesn't make sense...and you have a poor attitude to match it.
    I think it's clear who has the poor attitude . I also think you can use the replies to this thread as an indicator that it'll likely be moderately difficult to very difficult to attract new trainers/instructors to your studio, based on your business model .

I think it's clear who has the poor attitude . I also think you can use the replies to this thread as an indicator that it'll likely be moderately difficult to very difficult to attract new trainers/instructors to your studio, based on your business model .
    Where is the valid reasoning? I am not seeing any justification that it would not work. Members at gyms are paying $400+ for what...5 individual sessions? They could easily buy into a $200-$300 for 9+ group sessions per month.

Even if the price of renting the studio was dropped to $1,000 instead of $1,500, enabling even MORE personal trainers to afford the studio, the business model would still be successful, though I'd imagine at that price point it would cause scheduling conflicts and be inefficient for business. But it's always possible to offer lower price points for promotional purposes to attract new trainers every so often, if needed.

Honestly for this model to be successful, we would only need 2-3 trainers to rent the studio per month. Anything more than that is excellent.

Not to mention, the studio would be equipped with LIVE streaming capability for their virtual clients abroad.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-29-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Where is the valid reasoning? I am not seeing any justification that it would not work. Members at gyms are paying $400+ for what...5 individual sessions? They could easily buy into a $200-$300 for 9+ group sessions per month.
    Are you implying that a client is going to benefit from a group session the same as they would with an individual session? And what type and quantities of equipment will you have to offer? Will you be able to accommodate any type of fitness goal i.e. strength, hypertrophy, etc?

Are you implying that a client is going to benefit from a group session the same as they would with an individual session? And what type and quantities of equipment will you have to offer? Will you be able to accommodate any type of fitness goal i.e. strength, hypertrophy, etc?
    I'm not implying anything other than if there are anywhere from 2-5 personal trainers in the area that would like to rent a studio that can accommodate up to 30 people for $1,500 per month to offer group and individual sessions and charge their clients any amount they want for their services, then my studio would be a great option for them. What they earn is what they keep, all they do is pay a flat monthly rental fee of $1,500.

I have budgeted $3,000-$4,000 for additional equipment expense if needed. That includes dumbbells, mats, steps, exercise balls, etc. and is in addition to the few cardio machines that I would like to include as well.

I'm not implying anything other than if there are anywhere from 2-5 personal trainers in the area that would like to rent a studio that can accommodate up to 30 people for $1,500 per month to offer group and individual sessions and charge their clients any amount they want for their services, then my studio would be a great option for them. What they earn is what they keep, all they do is pay a flat monthly rental fee of $1,500.

I have budgeted $3,000-$4,000 for additional equipment expense if needed. That includes dumbbells, mats, steps, exercise balls, etc. and is in addition to the few cardio machines that I would like to include as well.
    So, in other words, you're offering an empty room that can only be used at certain scheduled and limited times for $1500 per month? My local 24 hour gym charges $300 per month + monthly membership ($39) & insurance ($20) to train clients there and they have $100k worth of equipment AND 800 current members to market to. The only requirement to bring in new clients is that they pay for a gym membership.

That, is your logical reasoning why I don't think it will be easy for you to attract trainers to your studio ($1500 vs $359 and a better product). There is only so much you can do with an empty room.

My local 24 hour gym charges $300 per month + monthly membership ($39) & insurance ($20) to train clients there and they have $100k worth of equipment AND 800 current members to market to.
    Okay so they charge a $300 flat fee per month which allows you to train your own clients in their gym? They don't take any percentage of what you earn? Is that $300 a one-time fee for yourself per month to train others as a PT or is that a per client fee?

Renting my studio would cost you 30% so if you train 1 client 4 sessions in a month and charge $50 per hour, you will make $200 less 30% fee ($60) = $160.

So would you rather pay $300 + membership to train at your gym? Or would you pay $60 + $100 one-time fee for a total of $160 at my studio? I think that is an individual choice, obviously you would like to have access to all the equipment for strength training, whereas my studio isn't niched for strength training. It is niched for GROUP exercise classes.

If you wanted to train 15 people at once at your local gym on a regular schedule in their studio, you're telling me $300 + membership is all it would cost?

Okay so they charge a $300 flat fee per month which allows you to train your own clients in their gym? They don't take any percentage of what you earn? Is that $300 a one-time fee for yourself per month to train others as a PT or is that a per client fee?

Renting my studio would cost you 30% so if you train 1 client 4 sessions in a month and charge $50 per hour, you will make $200 less 30% fee ($60) = $160.

So would you rather pay $300 + membership to train at your gym? Or would you pay $60 + $100 one-time fee for a total of $160 at my studio? I think that is an individual choice, obviously you would like to have access to all the equipment for strength training, whereas my studio isn't niched for strength training. It is niched for GROUP exercise classes.

If you wanted to train 15 people at once at your local gym on a regular schedule in their studio, you're telling me $300 + membership is all it would cost?
    You have no equipment. What am I going to do with your empty room? Teach Zumba? Bring back Tae Bo? Body Pump? And if I did bring a single client, then what? Jumping jacks & crunches? I get the feeling you don't really know anything about fitness.

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Do people really pay $200-300 per month just to take group classes?

The gym I go to has a whole bunch of group classes I could take with my membership, which is $20 per month. And the membership is not only for group classes, of course. The main part is a large weight room with full equipment, and plenty of cardio equipment.

I know there are high end gyms that are much more expensive. But for $150 per month, you can go to a fancy gym that has a swimming pool, hot tubs, a restaurant, meeting rooms, etc., in addition to all the exercise classes and weight/cardio equipment you could want. So I have problems picturing people pay $200-300 per month to take exercise classes at a studio that has nothing else to offer.

You have no equipment. What am I going to do with your empty room? Teach Zumba? Bring back Tae Bo? Body Pump? And if I did bring a single client, then what? Jumping jacks & crunches? I get the feeling you don't really know anything about fitness.
    Yes, obviously your skillset is strength training. There are a countless assortment variety of group exercise classes available that don't involve use of heavy equipment.

Originally Posted by RK42 View Post
    Do people really pay $200-300 per month just to take group classes?

The gym I go to has a whole bunch of group classes I could take with my membership, which is $20 per month. And the membership is not only for group classes, of course. The main part is a large weight room with full equipment, and plenty of cardio equipment.

I know there are high end gyms that are much more expensive. But for $150 per month, you can go to a fancy gym that has a swimming pool, hot tubs, a restaurant, meeting rooms, etc., in addition to all the exercise classes and weight/cardio equipment you could want. So I have problems picturing people pay $200-300 per month to take exercise classes at a studio that has nothing else to offer.
    Yes, you'd be surprised. Have you ever been to NYC, LA, or MIA?

I think you guys are really missing the point here. If you are a reputable personal trainer and you have 10 regular clients paying you $500+ a month each and meeting them at random various locations (their home, this gym, that gym), you are earning $5,000 per month.

If you are a reputable personal trainer and looking to expand or grow your business, if you pay $1,500 to rent a professional studio, you can now offer GROUP exercise classes on your own and include a private studio training when obtaining new clients for yourself. So instead of limiting yourself to 10 individual clients, you can now have 30+ clients (some are paying higher costs for your private training, others are paying $XX to access your monthly group exercise classes. Fill in whatever dollar value you see fit. $50 for 10 new group exercise clients is $500 and the opportunity to convert them to private training clients where you can charge much more.

In addition, not only can your clients be local, they can be located anywhere in the world with our virtual platform.

This $1,500 is not for your start up college level personal trainer. The entry-level trainers will only be charged a small one time fee and 30% of their price.

The $1,500 is for the REPUTABLE personal trainers who would like to expand and grow their earning potential. Sure, they might be able to buy their way into offering personal training at a local gym, but will they be able to offer group training at the gym as well? Absolutely not. That is why a private professional studio is their best option to expand their business. And it comes at a cost of $1,500 where they have access to a private studio in a high traffic downtown location.

They can have their original 10 clients and charge their original $500 a month for each for up to 10 private training sessions.

Then they can have 10 group exercise clients and charge $100 for unlimited access to their group exercise courses during the month. If they convert just 1 of these per month to private training at their $500 price, they've already made up the cost of renting the studio.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-29-2017 at 09:50 AM.

*edit: Deleted my previous post.

At this point, I honestly think you guys are joking with me. I don't want to give out the secret ingredients to the success of this business model so I hope you all can appreciate the information I did provide. Feel free to use it to develop your own business models and ideas if you'd like. All the best.

PS I appreciate the critique and discussion.
    Last edited by iFitnessStudio; 06-29-2017 at 10:02 AM.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would ask yourself two questions:

1. Why is there not a studio already like this in the area?
    2. Is it possible to convince trainers to come to my studio and pay 2-4x more than what they are paying now for an empty room with no equipment?
    www.dreesperformance.com

Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    I would ask yourself two questions:

1. Why is there not a studio already like this in the area?
    2. Is it possible to convince trainers to come to my studio and pay 2-4x more than what they are paying now for an empty room with no equipment?
    1. Several reasons, but mostly because this particular area is a bit outdated and finally coming into the 21st century.

2. Yes, and the secret to this is what makes it all work.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)

Can you elaborate please? I've researched quite a bit and it does not seem unreasonable, but I'd like to understand why you make this claim. Some trainers get paid hourly, others pay a percentage, and others pay a flat fee. A flat fee tends to be the best option for group trainers. If $1,500 is too much, I'd like to understand precisely why so I can re-evaluate my model accordingly.

As I've worked the numbers, if a personal trainer can obtain 15 regular clients (combined with my company's efforts) who pay them $200 per month for 9 sessions each month (that's only $22/session), they will earn $3,000 and net $1,500 after our rental fee. Compare that to if they were to be paid $50 per hour (high wage) for 9 1 hour group sessions. They would only make $450 per MONTH, while I made all the money off memberships.

The plan is that these independent instructors will have the freedom to market themselves and rent our studio rather than the studio marketing and managing hundreds of memberships.
    It's simple. Most trainers earn less than $4000 a month. No one is going to pay Uncle Sam 20 percent and you 40 percent.

You should consider $500 a month but even that may need to be dropped.
    To succeed at doing what you love, you often must do many things you hate.

Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    It's simple. Most trainers earn less than $4000 a month. No one is going to pay Uncle Sam 20 percent and you 40 percent.

You should consider $500 a month but even that may need to be dropped.
    You are missing the whole point. But that's okay. More business opportunity for me. Thanks for all the input.