Closed Thread

Thread: Foot cramps?

...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Question Foot cramps?

About two weeks ago, I started doing a little cardio after lifting. Often, when using either the elliptical or rowing machine, one or both of my feet start to cramp up, usually after fifteen to twenty minutes of work.

I'd like to know if any of you have experienced something similar, and of course, how you solved it.

I used to get a lot of calf cramps. Those all but disappeared once I started taking potassium. However, this doesn't seem to be preventing foot cramps.

thank you

drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50) drewkawa will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ...Kennedy View Post
    About two weeks ago, I started doing a little cardio after lifting. Often, when using either the elliptical or rowing machine, one or both of my feet start to cramp up, usually after fifteen to twenty minutes of work.

I'd like to know if any of you have experienced something similar, and of course, how you solved it.

I used to get a lot of calf cramps. Those all but disappeared once I started taking potassium. However, this doesn't seem to be preventing foot cramps.

thank you
    Here ya go....

How are foot cramps caused?

Foot cramps have many causes. Some of the most common causes for foot cramps are:

Stress or fatigue in the foot - An overworked foot is often susceptible to foot cramps.
    Poor circulation - Foot cramp is caused by lack of oxygen being carried to the foot.
    Lack of potassium - This important mineral, found in salt, helps regulate body chemistry and keep you foot cramp free.
    Dehydration - Lack of water in the muscles contribute to foot cramps.
    Changing hormone levels - Foot cramps may occur while muscle tissue adjusts to these changes.
    Pinched nerves - Caused when the electrical impulse from the brain cannot reach the muscle, this can cause foot cramps, numbness and other symptoms.
    Alcohol or tobacco use - Since both lend to dehydration, poor circulation and toxicity, these are a triple threat for foot cramps.
    Nutritional deficiency - A healthy diet, complete with all essential nutrients can keep muscles and nerves functioning normally.
    Environmental toxicity - Certain -poisons- we encounter (via factories, contaminated water, etc.) may play a role in increased foot cramps.
    Chemical sensitivity - Some prescriptions may change the conditions in the body and make foot cramps more likely.

Treating foot cramps
    No matter what the cause of a foot cramp, there's ways to relieve the pain. Here are some tips for treating foot cramps:

Slowly pull the foot away from the cramping position and hold it there until the foot cramp disappears.Try massaging the foot for five to 10 minutes until the foot cramp feels better.
    Take a dose of aspirin or ibuprofen to relieve a foot cramp
    Elevate your foot to the level of your waist.
    If the foot cramp comes from an athletic injury, apply an ice pack around the foot cramp, no directly on it.
    Use moist heat on the foot cramp three times a day if cramping is chronic
    Try a warm foot soak
    Wrap the foot in an elastic bandage, if necessary
    Stay off your foot and give the foot cramp a chance to heal.
    See a doctor about chronic and persistent foot cramps.

Link: http://www.footcare-central.com/Arti...oot-cramps.htm

Foot Cramp Stretches

Stretches and strengthening may or may not help and it depends on what the cause of the cramping is. I recommend that you check with your doctor if the exercises I suggest do not help and the problem persists.

Here are stretches for your calves and your feet. Hold each stretch until your muscles feel looser and repeat two to three times with each leg. Do these every day.

Calf Stretch (gastrocnemius muscle)

1. Lean against a wall with both hands, and keep your back straight.

2. The leg that you want to stretch should be straight back with the heel flat on the floor.

3. Bring the other leg forward with the knee bent.

4. Move your hips toward the wall while keeping your rear foot flat on the floor.

5. Put a folded towel under the ball of your foot (keeping heel down) to lift the foot and increase the stretch.

Calf Stretch (soleus muscle)

1. Take the same starting position as the stretch above.

2. Lean forward with your hips, but this time bend the knee of the rear leg. This will put the stretch lower in your calf (near the Achilles tendon) and will also stretch the muscles in the foot.

3. Hold on to the back of a chair if you need balance.
    Here are strengthening exercises. Repeat 12-15 repetitions, three sets each. Do these every other day.

Heel Raises

1. While standing with shoes on, lift your heels off the floor (end on tippy toes).

2. To accentuate the movement, stand on the edge of a step with heels off the edge (like a back dive off a diving board), and lower heels below the step, then raise. Hold the wall or banister for balance.
    Towel Pull

1. Sit in a chair barefoot with your toes on the edge of a towel. Start flexing (curling) your toes and pulling the towel to draw it up under your toes.
    Marble/Pencil Grab

1. Pick up marbles or pencils with your toes while sitting or standing barefoot.
    Make sure that your shoes fit well in addition to the stretching and strengthening. Tight shoes, and even tight laces, can cause the muscles in the feet to cramp, particularly if you do long periods of exercise. Exercising on a cardio machine like the Elliptical, where the foot remains in the same place for long periods, can also cause cramping. Try the following if you experience cramping while on the Elliptical: (1) shifting your feet, (2) leaning your weight on your arms, (3) pedaling backward, or (4) stopping and getting off to walk around.

It's not always easy to determine the cause of cramping. In addition to the exercise conditions listed above, cramping can also be caused by medications (for example, diuretics), nutritional deficiencies, hydration status, and circulatory problems. As I mentioned above, you should check with your doctor to rule out medical causes if none of the exercises help and the cramps continue.

Link: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/ma...ticlekey=79901

Video:

Drew
    Last edited by drewkawa; 08-03-2009 at 06:18 PM.
    "Anyone seen my coffee?"

ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ntrllftr has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Could be the type of shoe you are wearing.

Every day counts.

-[][][]---------[][][]-

I has a PHmuthaf'nD in Broscience!

ntrllftr > azstrengthlosscouchpotato

Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Old_swole is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by ntrllftr View Post
    Could be the type of shoe you are wearing.

^^^THIS^^^ if you are wearing a shoe with a high arch and your not use to it it can get pretty painful.
    O35 5'8" Crew

...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ...Kennedy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks for the replies so far, I'm still reading the didactically pedantic one.

I should mention that this happens with or without footwear. I use running shoes for the elliptical, but row barefoot with my feet strapped in to pads...

Onomatopoeia == good buzz bhaputi's Avatar
    bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bhaputi is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I have nothing to add, except the fact that I quit the elliptical for the exact same reason. Hit the stair stepper or treadmill - you get a better cardio workout anyways

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    GOD...Dont you hate it when you get foot cramps right in the arch of the foot?!!...Plus I have goute in my left big toe area and when I get a foot cramp in that foot its like crazy....lol...I get all nutty when it happends...hurts...sux...painful...but yet funny too.

Originally Posted by mikieson View Post
    GOD...Dont you hate it when you get foot cramps right in the arch of the foot?!!...Plus I have goute in my left big toe area and when I get a foot cramp in that foot its like crazy....lol...I get all nutty when it happends...hurts...sux...painful...but yet funny too.
    Let me get this straight, next time it happens, I just laugh it off?

Thanks for the advice...

mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikieson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ...Kennedy View Post
    Let me get this straight, next time it happens, I just laugh it off?

Thanks for the advice...
    well...sure..after you jump in pain and roll around like a nut "like me"...then you can only emagine what you looked like while doing all that..so yea, its funny to think about..

Originally Posted by bhaputi View Post
    I have nothing to add, except the fact that I quit the elliptical for the exact same reason. Hit the stair stepper or treadmill - you get a better cardio workout anyways
    I work out at home exclusively, but you've given me an idea, if the cramps don't go away, I might try doing ten minutes on one machine, then ten minutes on another instead of twenty or more straight minutes on one. Thanks.

dakotaj has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Did you figure this out yet?

So, I have noticed that after about 10 minutes of constant cardio (I have been doing T25), both of my feet cramp. The entire foot cramps, not just the arch, top or heel. I will have to completely stop the workout and pick my feet off the ground and shake them off until the pain goes away. It goes away fairly quickly and I can get back to what I was doing, but it will begin hurting again if I start doing continuous cardio. The pain does not seem to linger. I stay hydrated and drink at least 2 liters of water prior to working out. I just had my blood work done and the only abnormality is that I am low on B12. I wear currently wear asics. My feet do not hurt unless I am specifically doing constant fast-paced movement with my feet. I can walk all day without cramps.