Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
    FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Still cutting, is good idea to start StrongLift 5x5?

Hello all,

I started with 77 kg (170 lb) and over 20%BF 15 weeks ago and I have been losing weight (mostly fat) restricting my diet by 200 calories a day approx, eating tons of protein. I have been going to the gym 3 days a week, a walk regularly, etc.

Now, after 15 weeks, I am at 68.2 kg (151 lb) and 14.2% BodyFat according to a InBody Body Composition Analysis. I am still 3.2 kg away from my goal, 65 kg (144 lb) and I hope to be very close to 10%BF by then.

I hope I can reach my goal weight in about 7 weeks. Then I will start bulking.

Searching the web I found this StrongLift 5x5 program and I buy it, it is what I want to do, it not very different to what I am doing in the gym now, the difference is that I have been doing some other "assistance" exercises as well in the 4-8 rep range working only one muscle group for day.

SL5x5 seems to work best why bulking, not cutting. So, my question is, do I wait 7 weeks to start SL5x5 or it is ok to start right now?

Thanks.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    What lifting plan are you on now?

FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FFTesla has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    What lifting plan are you on now?
    I go to the gym 3 days a week, work a muscle group, 1 hour session, 5-7 exercises, 4 series of 4-6 reps. Usually I end very exhausted, I lift as heavy as I can.

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by FFTesla View Post
    I go to the gym 3 days a week, work a muscle group, 1 hour session, 5-7 exercises, 4 series of 4-6 reps. Usually I end very exhausted, I lift as heavy as I can.
    If you're currently only hitting your muscle groups 1x per week, YES change to a better plan like stronglifts now.

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    If you're currently only hitting your muscle groups 1x per week, YES change to a better plan like stronglifts now.
    Great. My main concern is that I still cutting and do not know if SL is better if I am bulking. For sure SL is superior to what I am doing right now.

Thanks for your advice, really appreciate.

Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000) Luclin999 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Stronglifts is primarily a plan for building strength/muscle and as such it assumes that those are your goals and that you will be in at least a slight calorie surplus (or at least at maintenance) while following it.

Because of this, you can expect to stall out considerably sooner than you probably would have if your were otherwise not in a calorie deficit.

Another factor is the lifts themselves. Stronglifts is designed to start you off with relatively easy, low weight sets and build you up somewhat quickly from there. On the other hand, when cutting it is generally advised for you to continue lifting at the highest weight for each set that you can manage so as to work the muscles as fully as possible and thus retain the most lean mass for as long as you can.

So if you go ahead and start the Stronglifts program and follow the instructions, you will be spending the first several weeks of it working with weights that are going to be "easy" for you and that will not be giving your muscles the amount of stress recommended for a cutting program.
    ~ Like Tae-Kwon-Leap, my goals are not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    Stronglifts is primarily a plan for building strength/muscle and as such it assumes that those are your goals and that you will be in at least a slight calorie surplus (or at least at maintenance) while following it.

Because of this, you can expect to stall out considerably sooner than you probably would have if your were otherwise not in a calorie deficit.

Another factor is the lifts themselves. Stronglifts is designed to start you off with relatively easy, low weight sets and build you up somewhat quickly from there. On the other hand, when cutting it is generally advised for you to continue lifting at the highest weight for each set that you can manage so as to work the muscles as fully as possible and thus retain the most lean mass for as long as you can.

So if you go ahead and start the Stronglifts program and follow the instructions, you will be spending the first several weeks of it working with weights that are going to be "easy" for you and that will not be giving your muscles the amount of stress recommended for a cutting program.
    Good point.

That's part of my confusion. Actually I am lifting some weight that will be paired by SL programm by week 8-12 or so, except barbell row that I haven't done yet and deadlift which I do light at the moment.

If I keep doing what I am doing, and start SL5x5 once I start to bulk I will be lifting light weight starting the program.
    If I start today, I will be lifting light right now and could ruin my cutting plan, losing some muscle.
    If I start today, do the "light" SL5x5, add some "secondary" exercises, I won't be following the program (which specific says to not do that). By the end of my cutting, SL5x5 weight will be close to what I am doing right now, doing a natural transition.

Confuse confuse confuse

Thanks for your help.

okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000) okayest is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You can do AllPros while cutting.
    Started at 176, working to 110, got to 128, now currently bodybuilding for 2

Originally Posted by okayest View Post
    You can do AllPros while cutting.
    Or Fierce 5. You need to be on a plan with more frequency than you current one so don't wait til you finish cutting to change.

JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) JoeLiberto has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My experience.... I'm cutting and I'm doing SL5x5 it may not be the best idea as mentioned above but it was a lot better than the bro split I was doing. I have found it to consistently work at dropping weight for me. Yes I've stalled out a couple places but that seems to be normal when on a cut. SL gives you a good base at core workouts and you will learn how to progress up in weight as well as learning how to properly lift and work on form. please take my advice with a grain of salt because its what has been working for me but plenty of people have more experience then myself.