MisterOptimist is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Aiming for atheletic build. Goal time range and adjustments Qs

I'm 36 years old and I've started training aiming to reduce body fat and long term goal is to have an athletic build.

Currently I'm 176cm tall (5"9), I don't expect that to change πŸ˜€

91.4kg (201.5 lbs) and 25.1% body fat

Now I was unsure what weight I should expect to have and body fat % to achieve this goal. I just entered it all through the calculator here in body space and it has marked it at 84.5kg (186 lbs) and 8% bf.

Goal date set to April next year.

First question is that goal set too high/low or just right in your opinion?

I've started training again for the last four weeks and have maintained a .5kg loss per week from 93.5 - 91.4kg on a 500 calorie deficit.

Now my second question is diet adjustment to achieve this goal. Should I be considering getting to a certain weight, maybe 80kg then slow bulk on a 10% calorie surplus and adjust to a deficit as my weight gets back up to near 90kg?

My training history, I've been on off last five years due to injuries and laziness. I've just recently done training with a trainer and set me up on a five day program which I will change up every six - eight weeks. The personal training I wish I had done years ago as every muscle trained hurts the next day and during the session I find myself fatigued and sucking in air which to me shows I wasn't really challenging myself with effective training and form. All sessions are under an hour which hurts more than what I was doing in sessions from an hour and a half to two hours.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    5'9" 186 lbs @ 8% BF is completely unrealistic. I didn't even say unrealistic by next April. Its unrealistic for most guys...ever...in life.
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

MisterOptimist is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by wesleysh21 View Post
    5'9" 186 lbs @ 8% BF is completely unrealistic. I didn't even say unrealistic by next April. Its unrealistic for most guys...ever...in life.
    To be honest my main goal when I started training is to get between 12-15% bf range. No real time frame on that just looking at getting results each week.

Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Jtbny has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MisterOptimist View Post
    To be honest my main goal when I started training is to get between 12-15% bf range. No real time frame on that just looking at getting results each week.
    There is your answer. Look to build on progress each week. Train smart, train hard, and results will come. The variable in the entire equation is you.
    ☻/
    /β–Œ
    / \ Don't care what you do crew.

Former natty ☠ 101- lift heavy things consistently over time as often as you can recover from.

drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) drudixon has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    fact

πŸ…ΎπŸ…ΌπŸ…΄πŸ…ΆπŸ…° πŸ††πŸ…΄πŸ…°πŸ…ΏπŸ…ΎπŸ…½ EjnarKolinkar's Avatar
    EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've started training again for the last four weeks and have maintained a .5kg loss per week from 93.5 - 91.4kg on a 500 calorie deficit.
    Seems reasonable on the surface. Why not keep that up a while and see how things shape up? At some point if you get tired of dieting, you can move the cals back up a while, or ease into a surplus. It's great to think you can pre-program a destination, but most have to plod a long and make adjustments as they go.

If you have no serious training history it can take a while to build up basic strength and muscle mass. Perhaps pop by the workout program forum and have a look at some of the sticky topics there also the beginner thread in this forum is good.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000) Juggertha is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Goals are good, but try to set some sort of schedule to it. It doesn't have to be STRICT, but a time table may halp ya push a bit.
    I don't lift weights, I flex under duress.

My 12 month progress thread
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=155962953&p=1113020323#post1113020323

Powerlifting in disguise induced_drag's Avatar
    induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) induced_drag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yep. I think most people have little concept of just how much (or little) LBM they have or would have at certain bodyweights.

5'9 185 @ 8% would be pretty built.

I can use a pic of myself from 5 years ago. Im 5'9 btw. Imagine me in this pic about 10lbs leaner (same mass). I never bothered to cut that far back then, but I would imagine it would have made me look even bigger than I was at the time. I was 194 and probably 11-13% when this was taken.

On a side note....I am not sure if I should laugh or cry when I look back 5 years and realize just how little real "progress" I have made. When we start bumping up against our limits it really comes down to unmeasurable progress. No sour grapes for me....but I fight for any progress these days. 5+ years after this pic and I am right at 200lbs and sub 10% (so about 2lbs a year if you average it out). And that is post nattie status in full disclosure. (lifetime natural in the pic though)

RAW lifts
    635 Dead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mATRBZ0gwdg
    585x7 Dead reps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yf2ZkdNNNQ
    420 Bench (paused) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJ2_Q-TLIB8
    535 Squat https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdgVaiTi4-8&feature=youtu.be

richardgavel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 36 years old and I've started training aiming to reduce body fat and long term goal is to have an athletic build.

Currently I'm 176cm tall (5"9), I don't expect that to change ν ½νΈ€

91.4kg (201.5 lbs) and 25.1% body fat

Now I was unsure what weight I should expect to have and body fat % to achieve this goal. I just entered it all through the calculator here in body space and it has marked it at 84.5kg (186 lbs) and 8% bf.

Goal date set to April next year.

First question is that goal set too high/low or just right in your opinion?

Now my second question is diet adjustment to achieve this goal. Should I be considering getting to a certain weight, maybe 80kg then slow bulk on a 10% calorie surplus and adjust to a deficit as my weight gets back up to near 90kg?

My training history, I've been on off last five years due to injuries and laziness. I've just recently done training with a trainer and set me up on a five day program which I will change up every six - eight weeks. The personal training I wish I had done years ago as every muscle trained hurts the next day and during the session I find myself fatigued and sucking in air which to me shows I wasn't really challenging myself with effective training and form. All sessions are under an hour which hurts more than what I was doing in sessions from an hour and a half to two hours.
    If nothing else, you have a math issue. Based on your current numbers, you have 50.6 lbs of body fat. Let's assume you get to your goal weight and ALL the loss is fat (which likely won't happen). That would be 186 lbs and 35.6 lbs of body fat or 19.1% body fat. You have 2 choices, which are going to affect your timeframe.

1 - Cut down to your goal weight and then eat at maintenance, which will slowly add muscle and reduce fat down to your BF goal.
    2 - Cut down to a lower BF%, say 10-12%, whatever that weight might be. Then eat at a surplus and build additional muscle (and some fat) up to your goal, which will require you losing about 30 lbs of fat.