Thread: Forearm pain

CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Forearm pain

Started working out again and keep getting this annoying pain on the underside or my forearms, it seems to run right alone the bone, on both arms. Seems to be worse after training biceps. Any advice greatly appreciated.

rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rsid97 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Seems like it could be a tendon problem.

Are you warming up correctly before your lifts? Are you running a proper program with minimal balancing issues?

TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TheGymJim has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have exactly this issue.

I don't know what the issue is, but I do know what causes it:

Fixed supination + isometric flexion of the forearm. This is why you typically won't get pain when doing rows or chin ups, since, although your hands are supinated, there is no forearm flexion involved to hold the weight up. You will probably also find that whilst there is discomfort during your set, there is a sharper pain when releasing your grip from the bar.

I.e a supinated grip (underhand) curl, using a barbell. This fixes your supination so that you can't rotate your wrists, and curling involves isometric forearm flexion to keep the bar in place in your hands. This is why you will feel it more during bicep work. You may also feel it during some pressing movements.

Whilst I have not found a solution as of yet, but some workarounds I have used in order to continue training biceps are:

- Reverse grip curls (pronated grip rather than supinated and isometric forearm extension rather than flexion)
    - Hammer grip rope curls (wrists are able to move, so supination isn't an issue, and much less forearm flexion)
    - Bayesian curls (one arm cable curls whilst leaning away from the machine. Again, wrists are able to move and there is less forearm flexion)

Play around with these variations. The secondary advantage of these is that you will build up your forearms and brachioradialis, thus strengthening your forearm/wrist which should help to prevent recurrence of the pain once you've rehabilitated your forearm and can curl again.

Once again, this is just what works for me, and it hasn't yet solved the problem (still can't do regular curls without pain) but it's a decent workaround.
    Current PRs: (S/B/D) 145kg / 100kg / 180kg // 2018 goal PRs: 160kg / 110kg / 190kg

log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174500821

Fat fake natty mansloot of the FMH crew

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CT2018 View Post
    Started working out again and keep getting this annoying pain on the underside or my forearms, it seems to run right alone the bone, on both arms. Seems to be worse after training biceps. Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Warm up properly.. and perhaps find an alternative exercise than the ones you are currently doing.
    For example, skull crushers agitate my elbows so I prefer dips and close grip

CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50) CT2018 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TheGymJim View Post
    I have exactly this issue.

I don't know what the issue is, but I do know what causes it:

Fixed supination + isometric flexion of the forearm. This is why you typically won't get pain when doing rows or chin ups, since, although your hands are supinated, there is no forearm flexion involved to hold the weight up. You will probably also find that whilst there is discomfort during your set, there is a sharper pain when releasing your grip from the bar.

I.e a supinated grip (underhand) curl, using a barbell. This fixes your supination so that you can't rotate your wrists, and curling involves isometric forearm flexion to keep the bar in place in your hands. This is why you will feel it more during bicep work. You may also feel it during some pressing movements.

Whilst I have not found a solution as of yet, but some workarounds I have used in order to continue training biceps are:

- Reverse grip curls (pronated grip rather than supinated and isometric forearm extension rather than flexion)
    - Hammer grip rope curls (wrists are able to move, so supination isn't an issue, and much less forearm flexion)
    - Bayesian curls (one arm cable curls whilst leaning away from the machine. Again, wrists are able to move and there is less forearm flexion)

Play around with these variations. The secondary advantage of these is that you will build up your forearms and brachioradialis, thus strengthening your forearm/wrist which should help to prevent recurrence of the pain once you've rehabilitated your forearm and can curl again.

Once again, this is just what works for me, and it hasn't yet solved the problem (still can't do regular curls without pain) but it's a decent workaround.
    I did try these alternative exercises and there did seem to be a slight let up in the forearm pain, but its recently returned. Its kinda depressing as its stunting my progress. In my arm workout I do also incorporate pull ups, not sure if this is another possible cause for the forearm pain. I do make sure I fully warm up and stretch the forearms now. Its just so annoying, think I may need to see a physio. I can not do any arm work for a week and the pain is still there.

If I lay my arm out infront on me (palm facing up), the pain runs right along the bone on the bottom left hand side, on both arms.

FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500) FAT40 is not very helpful. (-500)
    When i started i'd a similar problem but it was the muscles at the top of both arms around the elbow area. Was panicking i had damaged something, then rested them after some good advice on here and started arms with a slightly lower weight and progressed up and only stretched muscles when i went to bed, not before a workout. now i've no issues. I wouldn't work the arms for at least 2 weeks, rub some deep heat relief on the sore areas and stretch them. Add more deep heat relief before bed and stretch. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by FAT40; 02-02-2018 at 07:17 AM.
    with the right frame of mind you can achieve your goals

Thanks for info. I've reluctantly decided to take 2 weeks off gym work and rest up. So annoying, but I need to get rid of this pain before moving forward, I think is the best solution. In the meantime I'll try the stretching like you suggest.