Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Changes with aging......any tips ?

What changes (Training, Nutrition, Supplementation) did you after 35, 45, or even later, and what helped you really ?

for me, Close to 54 now......i use much more machines in my workouts than in may below 45 years, but hit the free weights also, but "lighter" "more reps" "proper form", searching more to get a pump. For my heavier sets i use more machines, like Hammer-Strength V-Squat, Icarian Squat machine, Hoist plate-load series,....

in my daily Food intake i nowadays take more care to eat less sugar, more komplex carbs, high Protein, but also more Whey-Isolate, or Aminos like Leucine,... cause i think the Digestion lacks more and more as you get older.....i eat the first 35 years of Training between 5000-6000 calories a day, and this is much work for your stomach. So 40 % of my Protein is whey-Isolate or even Hydrolysate. My Bodyweight at 3600 kcal a day is now stable (+/- 5-10 lbs in last 2 years) at 250 - 260 lbs. In my 30´s 40`s i was about 50-70 lbs. heavier than today, but i feel now more "fit", and not only bigger & stronger.

so, what helped you.....? thank you....
    6 "3" 260 lbs. mid 50....still love this sport.... go and do something for yourself, not for others....it´s your life, your health, you only get one, take care, and when you see results the fun to work out will be greater with time....but it´s all about small steps...fast results you can loose fast...steady and slow results last much longer. So take your Sport bag, and enjoy your workouts, and the Feeling when you finished a good workout.

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Charly41 View Post
    What changes (Training, Nutrition, Supplementation) did you after 35, 45, or even later, and what helped you really ?

for me, Close to 54 now......i use much more machines in my workouts than in may below 45 years, but hit the free weights also, but "lighter" "more reps" "proper form", searching more to get a pump. For my heavier sets i use more machines, like Hammer-Strength V-Squat, Icarian Squat machine, Hoist plate-load series,....

in my daily Food intake i nowadays take more care to eat less sugar, more komplex carbs, high Protein, but also more Whey-Isolate, or Aminos like Leucine,... cause i think the Digestion lacks more and more as you get older.....i eat the first 35 years of Training between 5000-6000 calories a day, and this is much work for your stomach. So 40 % of my Protein is whey-Isolate or even Hydrolysate. My Bodyweight at 3600 kcal a day is now stable (+/- 5-10 lbs in last 2 years) at 250 - 260 lbs. In my 30´s 40`s i was about 50-70 lbs. heavier than today, but i feel now more "fit", and not only bigger & stronger.

so, what helped you.....? thank you....
    A couple of things have kept me in the gym for 24+ straight years with never a layoff or a gym injury other than a rare minor ding:

*Always warming up adequately before any heavy lifting.

*Deloading on a strict schedule.

*Never compromising form in order to lift more weight or add reps.

*Sticking like glue to a structured progression scheme (IOW, not loading up the bar just to "see if I can lift it").

*Staying far away from '1-rep max' attempts.

*Hitting calorie/macro/micro requirement every day without fail.

*Allowing myself plenty of sleep time.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Charly41 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    thank you.....i agree ! my warm-up i never skip......and also 1-rep max i would not do anymore.....and my longest layoff Training was 2 weeks after a serious injury/Hospital,....
    Attached Images
    6 "3" 260 lbs. mid 50....still love this sport.... go and do something for yourself, not for others....it´s your life, your health, you only get one, take care, and when you see results the fun to work out will be greater with time....but it´s all about small steps...fast results you can loose fast...steady and slow results last much longer. So take your Sport bag, and enjoy your workouts, and the Feeling when you finished a good workout.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    OP, I'm 58. As I've aged, I've noticed/done the following in the gym:

- I noticed that I just couldn't recover properly from a full-body 3-days a week workout and now only hit each muscle group twice a week.

- I still push myself and workout approaching failure, seeing that I plateau much more - but I just don't worry about it. I know some at 58 will tell you they are still adding weights to their lifts and that's great, but that's "for" me. I just tend to get sick and/or really tired/worn down.

- I warm up much more thoroughly.

- I watch mt nutrition closely to make sure I'm giving my body what it needs to fuel my workouts.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Interesting question. I am 50 now, been lifting on and off sine mid-30's. One big change I made was higher reps which are bulk of my work nowadays. I also upped the volume and frequently go with two workouts a day if time allows. I don't eat as frequent as used to, and generally sceptical about 6 meals a day feeding pattern. Same goes with water, those gallon a day ideas did not work well for me, happy medium is somewhere at half a gallon for me. But all that is hardly age-related, perhaps just an experience, adopting what works and abandoning what doesn't. What changes with age, for me anyway, is being more open-minded and observant and careful about not getting injured. Again, not because I get injured any easier with age, just understanding the importance of it. I still delve to heavy sets just for the fun of it. Maybe 50 is too early for age-related scaling down or whatever older people do, because I don't feel it.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm 64 and started training at 18. I've been through all the phases of what works and what doesn't. As you age you need to not focus on max weight. When Frank Zane was asked what he'd change as he aged he said he wouldn't have trained as heavy for so long and this is the best advice I can give you.

Pay attention to what your body is telling you. Recovery goes downhill with every year after 50. You can hit the gym 6 days still if you want but the volume will be much less per session. Machines become more a part of your training. If you want to train for life you need to be smart about things and realize that you won't be 20 forever and adjust accordingly. There are outliers that train heavy into later years however they're the exception and usually are the thicker built guys and usually have higher bodyfat. I see those guys all the time. Usually shorter, shorter limbs.

Diet needs to change. You start holding fat differently and easily as your activity level. both structured activity and NEAT tend to take a drop. Calories will get lower in order to stay reasonably lean.

Bottom line is unless you love to train you probably won't make it long term in the gym. You'll need to accept declining PR's and just take comfort in the fact that you look and feel better than 99% of the rest of the population.

Cheers!
    TW
    Last edited by Tommy W.; 06-14-2017 at 05:42 PM.
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) latverian41 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    bro, I don't know how much advice I can give.

I'm 42. Been into working out and fitness since 13 and a half. All my friends bought guitar mags I bought muscle and fitness and flex. I guess it was all I had to deal with what was going on around me at that age.

But at 42. I don't feel any different than I did at 22 or 32 other than I aquired a drug addiction in !my mid 30s. Which has destroyed my life. (STAY AWAY FROM DRUGS MATES AT ALL COST)

Thankfully I still have a youthful look and I try and stay positive about my future albeit not easy to do with my surroundings.

If I had to give you some advice it would be drink tons of water. Stsay away from negative people or dishonest and criminal type people. Find good friends who are there for you. Maybe join a softball league or take up golf. Stay active and around good people.

Having friends and those around you that motivste you to keep pushing is a wonderful thing

You are still young enough to have a meaningful life. Don't waste the next ten years

Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Kirkor has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'm interested to know some of the thought process behind going more towards machines rather than free weights for an older trainee. Is it that stabilizers and/or proprioception degrades overtime?

Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Zocas is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Kirkor View Post
    I'm interested to know some of the thought process behind going more towards machines rather than free weights for an older trainee. Is it that stabilizers and/or proprioception degrades overtime?
    Curious for above post also. I would think it would be the opposite just going with higher reps.

Originally Posted by Zocas View Post
    Curious for above post also. I would think it would be the opposite just going with higher reps.
    Feeling changes sometimes Athletes don´t feel really cause they coming slowly over years, and you always thinking "i´m Feeling same". But if this is the truth i´m not sure......

When you built a certain muscle mass, and hold that Standard for years, it´s also easier to hold on that mass, cause your Body accepted that mass over years, and the loss "if" is slower to those Athletes who not adapted there Body to that muscle mass for many years. My rep-range is "wider" than in my younger years. But after 50 years the rep-range below 5 reps not happend many times.
    The bigger Problem in my opinion is the Digestion of Food and Supplementation. The Digestion System also get´s older, and worked for 3 or 4 decades more than a "normal" Person. I´m looking for supps which are easy to Digest, and also take sometimes with my whole-regular meals digestive enzymes. Simple Sugars nowadays i only drink-eat shortly after Training, and maybe early in the morning with my first Shake of the day...

Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I've often thought of this. My theory is that the joints just cant take free weights as well and the difficulty of overall recovery seems to be more magnified with the small stabilizer muscles.

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500) weightpile is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    64 here, I prefer free weights although I use a few of the machines especially for legs. Like most of the replies I too have been working out since the age of 20. One thing I can share that was a wake up call for me, the widow maker, said I should be dead. It hit me after my cardio workout at the park, knocked me down, no one home, phone outside, and that 800 lb gorilla just kept on pounding my chest. Passed out after about an hour of it, wife come home few hours later rushed me to the hospital. Long story, short version: I do not push myself like I use to with cardio if it's hot out.
    Still pumping iron, cardio is walking, and I watch my supplement intake now days. I will not quit the weight pile, that's like telling me I'm too old to ride my motorcycle.
    Your post sounds like you're on the right track.
    'On the Internet, everyone squats. In real life, the squat rack is always empty'.

dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dazlittle has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Charly41 View Post
    thank you.....i agree ! my warm-up i never skip......and also 1-rep max i would not do anymore.....and my longest layoff Training was 2 weeks after a serious injury/Hospital,....
    Nothing to add other than I hope I look half as good as you do at 54!!

Great job.
    Instagram - @dazlittle123

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    I have always used a mix of free weights and machines, and have never really given a thought as to why I should change that just because I'm older. I look at all of the equipment in the gym as tools in my tool box, to be used to do whatever specific job I need to do. I see no difference in injury potential between the two methods providing all the items I mentioned in post #2 are followed, and as such, I have never trained fearing any exercise.

Individuals need to assess their own current condition and abilities, and then choose a path that they can feel confident in following. In this day and age, from what I gather from posts all over this site by the minute, the bigger problem is in older beginners not having anyone to guide them through their first year or so in order to show them the right path. Advice here (from long-term, regular posters who demonstrate their knowledge through their avatars, progress pics, training journals, etc.) can certainly help, as can certain youtube videos (geez; that's a double-edged sword though), but it still comes down to the individual putting in the time and effort to learn how to properly train (and eat).
    Last edited by ironwill2008; 06-28-2017 at 01:34 PM.
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I will be 53 on June 23rd, been training for over 30 years, what has kept me going is lifting light, medium and heavy and never staying consistent with only one of the 3. I never just lift heavy, light or medium I just alternate and to me that has kept me going all these years.

However, as of late, the last 2 years or so. I do more compound lifts than anything else, my main lifts are Squats, Deadlifts, Bench, OHP and BOR.
    On the list for Bannukah

Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Marius_Ursus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I just turned 48. When I started lifting at the age of 27, my training was very sporadic, and I had no idea what I was doing. As I matured in my lifting approach, I still was very inconsistent. A big part of that was based in emotional baggage my perfectionist mom passed on to me. I felt like if I couldn't do exactly what I had laid out, there was no point in doing anything...very defeatist. My diet was trash, too. I ate a lot of Burger King and ice cream.

Unlike Will, I pushed my maxes way too often and injured myself a lot. I also ended somehow really screwing up my spine a few years ago. Now I have degenerative disk disease, sciatica, bulging disks, and spondylolthesis. I still mix up barbell, dumbbell, and machine work. I can't do any ballistic lifting anymore (cleans, snatches, kettlebells) because of the problems in my lower back. There's a chance that I can improve with more strength recovery using slow weight lifting. My doctor's answer when I asked her if I'd ever be able to lift Oly again was, "I don't know. We'll have to see what your spine does."

I pay much closer attention to my diet now. I no longer eat added sugar...except once in a while on Friday. That's my "relaxed diet" day, but even then I rarely overeat or eat junk food. I eat a lot more fruits and vegetables now, a lot more nuts, and a lot more fish. If I want something sweet, it's usually fruit.

I don't think any of the above has to do with age so much as health concerns, though. Maybe those are closely related, maybe not. I haven't given it much thought.
    "Blessed be the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1

Also, taxation is theft.

Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Desparado is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Being older has taught me to stay away from certain exercises. In my younger days I ignored my body telling me that dips weren't compatible with MY shoulders, same us upright rows. Straight bar barbell curls would sooner or later aggravate my elbows so I stopped doing them. I guess when you were younger you felt invincible, and when you did get injured you recuperated much faster, so it was easy to be hard headed about exercises that you know may not be agreeable to you.
    "Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a$$holes"

William Gibson

"...I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul."

William Ernest Henley

kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kimm4 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm 48 and have been lifting for over 32 yrs. I haven't made any changes yet.
    National Level Competitor (Female BB)

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    The biggest change I have noticed at 59 is that I dont get tired gradually like I did before. Nowadays in the gym I can go from still feeling energized and strong towards the end of a session to hitting the wall in very short space time. Sometimes not even getting though what I planned to do.

Working out regularly is also a must. Taking a week off a certain lift like squats means there will be hell to pay with soreness when I do squats again. For this reason I use light squats as a warmup every time I train.
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000) Leddyman is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll be 54 in August. I don't lift quite as heavy as I used to. I feel like I could injure myself so I try to take it slow adding weight to the bar. The biggest difference for me is diet as well. I am eating smaller portions of meat and supplementing with whey protein. I make sure I get plenty of vegetables and fruit.

Overall I'm just more careful. I'm still stronger than 90% of the people that come into the gym. I don't lift as heavy as I could, but I'm in it for the long haul

Deadlift today was:
    warmup bar only 10 reps x 2
    warmup 135 10 reps
    185 8 reps
    235 8 reps
    235 6 reps

Lat pulldown 3 x 10 reps @ 135
    seated cable row 3x10 reps 150
    one legged SLDL 3X10 reps each leg 25 lb medicine ball (trying to stretch the hamstrings)

Cardio 20 minutes elliptical

Like I said, could do more, but recovery is key for me. That is back for the week.

Tommorrow is shoulder day with OHP and seated dumbell presses plus front-side-rear- raises and rotator cuff work.
    Yesterday was chest.
    Thursday is rest and Friday is legs. Rest 2 days and repeat. One body part a week compound lifts and ancillary work
    There could be 5 or 6 ninjas in this room right now.

I like fake boobs that look real and real boobs that look fake.

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The main things I've noticed:

1) More warmup, rehab and mobility work is necessary
    2) My total recovery capacity is lower
    3) Metabolism is slower
    4) Easier to injure myself if I do something stupid

60 is when things started changing and this year at almost 65 it's a big drop in recoverable volume

Pro Choice
    Non Christian
    MAGA
    2A Advocate
    FJB

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I got to spend some time with Don Reinhoudt a bit ago. After all the WSM, Powerlifting, lifting with the 70's Steelers stories, he talked with me a lot about him getting back into the gym. It was so cool to hear him talk about just getting back into it, using machines and keeping things light just to be able to move again and try to get more healthy. Just to listen to that same type of story from a guy that was at that level was just awesome. I also wonder how many people using the Nautilus press machine (or whatever it is they have) have any idea that the old guy that just politely wiped off the machine when he was done is generally considered one of the strongest people to ever be on this space rock.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

time to relax......train only 3 times a Week in a good equipped gym in Thailand, taking every day 1 massage, 1-2 hours, food here is very good, but because of high temperature and huminty i'm in a minus of 400-500 kcal. a day.
    Attached Images

Location: Cinderford, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I think proper warm up stuff is very important before even thinking about going heavy, but once warmed up, I train as hard as my body and mind will allow - and not one injury in the past year, even though my routines are always based on heavy compounds plus a couple of power moves.

Also, calorie intake. I see a lot of posts in this section about 'cutting and bulking'. I have found that isn't really an option for me. I have to consume around 2000 calories per day and anything over, no matter how hard I train and no matter what my fitbit tells me regarding calorie expenditure, if I go over this for any length of time, I will add fat. A good, constant diet is a must, and even on the 2000 calories per day, I keep fat off but can still build a little muscle and still get stronger.

So, for me, it's proper warms ups and keeping the calorie intake in check.

starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) starscream606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    What have you guys found is the most efficient warmup? Cardio? Lifting light prog higher? How many sets and reps?
    MAGA

Originally Posted by starscream606 View Post
    What have you guys found is the most efficient warmup? Cardio? Lifting light prog higher? How many sets and reps?
    i always starts a workout with a General warm-up, Cardio, only 10-15 minutes, starting at low Watt-Resistance (75) work up each 15-20 Seconds, go upt to the range around 250 Watt, and reduce for the last Minute to 150 Watt. This General warm-up help raise your Body temperature and activate your heart-System. After i start with lights weights, and working grad. up to my first real workout set. How many sets i Need depends on which exercise i do first, and how heavy i go on this. For upcomming exercises i do less sets before the working sets compared to the warm-up for my first exercise. Generally i do 5-6 warm-up sets, sometimes more, cause my strength Level is not that bad....

fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000) fbcpastormk is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm 44 now and I have incurred at least 2 major training injuries after 40. I need to train smarter and not necessarily harder. Don't get me wrong, I still lift heavy, but it takes me a little bit longer to get there. I also am learning the whole "mind muscle connection" thing. 2 surgeries makes you change how you think I guess.
    “I am not where I want to be, but I am not where I used to be”

Tired of being lied to resurrected's Avatar
    resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000) resurrected is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have completely given up any type of sugar.
    I do not warm up as use to. It seems I really don't need as much.
    I lift as heavy as I can for 8-10 reps
    I ignore the fact I am 60
    I push myself even harder than I did in my 30's
    I have been using more of a protein blend for the casein. Except after a workout.
    I pretty much use machine for the most part. They are designed to work the particular body part you want after all.
    I remember age is just a number and means little
    I don't accept I can't for an answer.
    I do however experience the digestion symptoms most older men experience. But I try to keep the [protein intake at a max along with omega 3 as my main fats
    I also like to use a test booster, after all as we age it declines immensely. Body fat storage, man boobs etc. seek a doc that understands hormones and is not afraid to prescribe. ( most are still old school and misinformed)
    I have not had injuries for 20 years now. ( well except one major issue, but that is over with I hope)
    Just cause we age means nothing. Don't stop believing, cause we can be sexy still.....
    Last edited by resurrected; 06-29-2017 at 06:22 PM. Reason: addition

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Number one is recovery for me.
    At 60 i can't train like when i was thirty and recover fully for the next training session.
    I can't eat as much as i did when younger without a weight gain(fat) because the metabolism has slowed so an adjustment has to be made.
    Getting enough protein is important factor in keeping muscle size.
    I eat at least one gram per pound of body weight and more if possible.
    Training is way more instinctive and depends on issues i may have.
    Do what you need to do,stimulate but don't annihilate the working muscle.
    i don't go as heavy as often meaning weights that are 5 to 1 rep maxes are done less frequently.
    Machines and free weights with what feels good for the body part I'm working.
    I try to rotate exercises/movements so i don't get depended on one specific movement.
    While training can be hard and it should be challenging ,enjoy your training and have some fun with it.
    Good luck.