toob556 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Thoracic spine injury

Hi guys,

I hope someone will give me an advice here.

About 15 months I was doing squats with about 80kg (with 95kg bodyweight) at the gym and as I was squatting down I tilted slightly to the right and got a very sharp pain right next to the right side of my Thoracic spine.

In the following months I kept on working out, hoping it would go away, but it obviously did not. Anytime i would put even 30kg weight on my shoulders, I would feel a dull ache on the right side of thoracic spine, and I felt like my bio mechanics had changed - hard to explain it - but i wasn't getting any benefit from working out, my body wasn't getting stronger and i was struggling with weights, but i felt i had to keep on working out just to stay in shape so that i could do my job.

6months later i started getting pain in my lumbar spine as well which now radiates into my right hip - which before the incident had always been rock solid

I have stopped working out altogether now and I only go swimming. In the last 3 months, anytime i tried to work out with super light weights - like benching 30kg, dl 30kg - my body would react to it in a very bad way - I would feel kind of sick for 3days, my shoulders slumped and very tired - before the injury my body would react very well to working out and I could push myself. Now even the lightest weights and I feel sick for 3days, the spine gets sore, i can feel pain in the bones, then it returns to normal.

I should probably also mention, that if i do any exercise, apart from the spine being sore, the pain kind of radiates into the muscles to the right side of the thoracic spine, they get tight and it also radiates into my lung.

I get the same thing these days even after I go running - i used to run 3x week and was loving it, now if i run for 10minutes, my whole spine gets sore and i cant walk for 3 days...

I have tried physiotherapy, massages and acupuncture without any long-term success and last week I had an MRI done and went to see a neurosurgeon.

The neurosurgeon said he had no idea why is my body reacting like this to working out and he found nothing on the MRI in the thoracic spine which could be causing this. He mentioned there is a slight curve in my thoracic spine, but when i asked him whether he thought it might have been caused by the squatting injury, he said he didn't think so. He said the discs and the joints seem fine. He also mentioned there is l5-s1 a tiny bulge which shouldnt be giving me any problems, but the area in my lower back feels tight most of the time.

I have the MRI images on a disc.

I also had an x-ray done of the thoracic spine and it showed nothing wrong

So i have rly no idea what to do next, i feel that sth is seriously wrong and that it started with the squatting injury, but nobody is able to tell me what is it - if anyone has an idea on what kind of doctor i should go see,or what to do next to find out whats wrong, I would really appreciate it. thanks
    Last edited by toob556; 06-12-2017 at 05:16 PM.

wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I've had pain square in the middle of my back since November of 2015, which is in the thoracic spine. At first it was horrible, I couldn't walk longer than 15 minutes without excruciating pain. I even purchased cruches so I could do things around the house. It happened during a Deadlift when I rounded my back trying to lift too much weight, and I already had a mild hunchback from being hunched over a desk for many years.

Just like you, the MRI didn't really find anything. The only real difference is there is no radiating pain, but the pain could be intense nonetheless.

I've been unable to eliminate it but some things I've done that have clearly helped as well as some things that seem to have helped:
    - Rolling on a tennis ball, this had a huge beneficial effect for a few weeks where I went from unable to walk for more than 15 minutes to about 4-5 hours. Also I could carry heavier weight on my shoulders. But after a few weeks, the improvement ground to a halt. This did not cure me, just helped me tremendously.
    - Foam rolling
    - A back brace for the thoracic spine, this has been a godsend for me, though I'm finally getting to the point where I no longer need it. It virtually made me immune to pain in that area whenever I had it on.
    - Trying to correct my posture. I even purchased a standing desk for work.
    - Strengthening muscles in the lower traps and rhomboids. Things like T-bar rows, bat wings, seated rows with an underhand grip, rear delts, unilateral rows, etc. Very slowly over time, as I strengthen these muscles, I think I'm slowly eliminating the remaining pain.
    Last edited by wsteve30; 06-16-2017 at 09:09 AM.
    "Proud but never satisfied"

- Christian Guzman -

210 lbs fat to 210 lbs ripped fat loss log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171281111

wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) wsteve30 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I also saw many doctors, sports physical therapists, chiros, and massage therapists for it, in the end just watching youtube videos and trial and error are what ended up helping me, the former were just a waste of money.
    "Proud but never satisfied"

- Christian Guzman -

210 lbs fat to 210 lbs ripped fat loss log:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171281111

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by toob556 View Post
    Hi guys,

I hope someone will give me an advice here.

About 15 months I was doing squats with about 80kg (with 95kg bodyweight) at the gym and as I was squatting down I tilted slightly to the right and got a very sharp pain right next to the right side of my Thoracic spine.

In the following months I kept on working out, hoping it would go away, but it obviously did not. Anytime i would put even 30kg weight on my shoulders, I would feel a dull ache on the right side of thoracic spine, and I felt like my bio mechanics had changed - hard to explain it - but i wasn't getting any benefit from working out, my body wasn't getting stronger and i was struggling with weights, but i felt i had to keep on working out just to stay in shape so that i could do my job.

6months later i started getting pain in my lumbar spine as well which now radiates into my right hip - which before the incident had always been rock solid

I have stopped working out altogether now and I only go swimming. In the last 3 months, anytime i tried to work out with super light weights - like benching 30kg, dl 30kg - my body would react to it in a very bad way - I would feel kind of sick for 3days, my shoulders slumped and very tired - before the injury my body would react very well to working out and I could push myself. Now even the lightest weights and I feel sick for 3days, the spine gets sore, i can feel pain in the bones, then it returns to normal.

I should probably also mention, that if i do any exercise, apart from the spine being sore, the pain kind of radiates into the muscles to the right side of the thoracic spine, they get tight and it also radiates into my lung.

I get the same thing these days even after I go running - i used to run 3x week and was loving it, now if i run for 10minutes, my whole spine gets sore and i cant walk for 3 days...

I have tried physiotherapy, massages and acupuncture without any long-term success and last week I had an MRI done and went to see a neurosurgeon.

The neurosurgeon said he had no idea why is my body reacting like this to working out and he found nothing on the MRI in the thoracic spine which could be causing this. He mentioned there is a slight curve in my thoracic spine, but when i asked him whether he thought it might have been caused by the squatting injury, he said he didn't think so. He said the discs and the joints seem fine. He also mentioned there is l5-s1 a tiny bulge which shouldnt be giving me any problems, but the area in my lower back feels tight most of the time.

I have the MRI images on a disc.

I also had an x-ray done of the thoracic spine and it showed nothing wrong

So i have rly no idea what to do next, i feel that sth is seriously wrong and that it started with the squatting injury, but nobody is able to tell me what is it - if anyone has an idea on what kind of doctor i should go see,or what to do next to find out whats wrong, I would really appreciate it. thanks

Get a 2nd opinion from an Orthopedist, preferably one with a Sports Medicine background who is used to treating athletes.
    No brain, no gain.

You can't out-train bad nutrition.

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym---updated pics:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Workout Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mjtuf1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I had a disc injury years ago that caused my severe sciatic and was chronic for 6+ months... I also this week had back issues that were horrible for 2 days but have seemed to be under control today.

2 things that worked for me, and I bet will work for you are:

1) Back stretches.. you'll be amazed how much better and how much pain relief you get from doing stretches.. go on youtube and search "back pain relief stretches" and you will find a ton of good videos on stretches to do.

2) Therapeutic ultrasound.. I bought a therapeutic ultrasound wand 8 years ago to use on my back and it helped tremendously.. yesterday morning I woke up in bad back pain couldn't even sleep, after doing a 20 min stretch workout, 10 min ultrasound treatment, and then took an advil, my back has been pain free for over 24 hours now.

For you id say take a few weeks of doing back stretches and ultrasound and you'll recover.

Registered User steverogers1000's Avatar
    steverogers1000 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Middle of the back

Originally Posted by wsteve30 View Post
    I've had pain square in the middle of my back since November of 2015, which is in the thoracic spine. At first it was horrible, I couldn't walk longer than 15 minutes without excruciating pain. I even purchased cruches so I could do things around the house. It happened during a Deadlift when I rounded my back trying to lift too much weight, and I already had a mild hunchback from being hunched over a desk for many years.

Just like you, the MRI didn't really find anything. The only real difference is there is no radiating pain, but the pain could be intense nonetheless.

I've been unable to eliminate it but some things I've done that have clearly helped as well as some things that seem to have helped:
    - Rolling on a tennis ball, this had a huge beneficial effect for a few weeks where I went from unable to walk for more than 15 minutes to about 4-5 hours. Also I could carry heavier weight on my shoulders. But after a few weeks, the improvement ground to a halt. This did not cure me, just helped me tremendously.
    - Foam rolling
    - A back brace for the thoracic spine, this has been a godsend for me, though I'm finally getting to the point where I no longer need it. It virtually made me immune to pain in that area whenever I had it on.
    - Trying to correct my posture. I even purchased a standing desk for work.
    - Strengthening muscles in the lower traps and rhomboids. Things like T-bar rows, bat wings, seated rows with an underhand grip, rear delts, unilateral rows, etc. Very slowly over time, as I strengthen these muscles, I think I'm slowly eliminating the remaining pain.
    Hi I’ve read this and I’ve got the same
    Have you managed to get rid of this in the end with your exercises on low weight I no it’s an old post
    But even better as probably taken 18 months to improve
    Thanks
    Any tips be great , got a brace
    But pull these muscle ALL THE TIME anything heavy or moderate to heavy
    Unreal
    Thanks