Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mike86er has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thehardg00dbye View Post
    I agree with this. I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I've always honestly wondered ever since Arnold's retirement speech in pumping iron where he said "it's the greatest sport" .
    Don't get me wrong, I admire the qualities it takes to get to the top in bodybuilding. I couldn't do it. But they're not athletes in the same sense that neither is the world's greatest sculptor.

David Ginola, a former soccer player, considered himself to be an artist because of his creativity on the field. It doesn't mean he was one.

thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000) thehardg00dbye is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mike86er View Post
    Let's face it, with the state these people are in by the time they get on stage, they'd need oxygen after a game of bowling.

Yes, people competing against each other at a designated time and place to see who can perform the best in a physical activity where the winner is the one who uses their strength, explosive ability, focus in the moment, coordination and technique to lift the most is a sport. You win based on performing better than your competitors on the day.

There is no comparison to bodybuilding.
    So powerlifters are atheletes because they compete at lifting. Even though bodybuilders engage in the same activity since the element of competition isnt there while lifting they arent atheletes. This is the philosophy?

I'm cool with that technicality. Just rubs me wrong when an Olympic ice curler is considered an athelete and bodybuilders arent.
    *High Test Crew*

6'4" master race crew.

Epic beard to compensate for baldness crew.

Almost 40 and the best I've ever been crew.

Sicilian German hybrid

BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) BetaAsPhuck has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by CaliSuperSport View Post
    I used to laugh at calling bodybuilders athletes too, but then you realize they really do excel at physical activity, it's just that they don't compete based on it, they compete based off their looks.
    Athleticism is more than just being strong.

Strength, agility, fitness, speed, etc.
    If You Don't Like To Talk About Your Feelings, This Might Help...
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178926621

The Most Heartbreaking Thing That I've Learned About 'The Elite'.
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178536851

Bitcoin And 'The Elite' - Why Bitcoin Is Not Revolutionary
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=179820783

rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rectifryer has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So powerlifters are atheletes because they compete at lifting. Even though bodybuilders engage in the same activity since the element of competition isnt there while lifting they arent atheletes. This is the philosophy?

I'm cool with that technicality. Just rubs me wrong when an Olympic ice curler is considered an athelete and bodybuilders arent.
    Ice Curlers sure af aren't artists.

Thats why, imo, it's reasonable to be upset about the direction body building has taken. Aesthetics have taken a back seat, and size is the main priority. What separated body building from sport, was this form of artistic preparation done via athletic maneuvers such as lifting. The actual competition and demonstration is a pageant of sorts; no athletic endeavor is performed. I think this is to be celebrated, as it's a competition of premeditation and a complete battle against one's self. That "battle" does happen in the weight room, but it's results manifest that day. In that sense, the athleticism is directly connected to the results of the competition, with the competitor's skill being judged as a combination of lifting ability and introspective judgement. You could call body builders athletes, I wouldn't get offended. But I think less people would get offended if it was more about aesthetics than hording down every experimental hormone you can source.
    Boycott foodservice industry crew

jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jakobi is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    lets see where bodybuilding is rank on this list of sports

https://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

oh wait, bodybuilding is NOT a sport..

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by frump94 View Post
    Definition of an athlete;

'a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill.'
    Dictionary.com

Last time I checked, bodybuilding required none of these with the exception of getting stronger to gain more size, but again, you're not judged on your strength, you're judged on your appearance on stage.

Brb, having elite genetics, copious amounts of skittles on hand, and the time to lift weights and shove down copious amounts of food all day then subsequently starving yourself makes someone an athlete. Doesn't matter if you can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting winded.
    IDK brah it definitely takes some stamina to pose on stage when you're depleted at sub 5-8% BF
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Not a sport as most BBers I know aren't very athletic whatsoever, but it takes a different kind of discipline that I do admire somewhat. My issue with it is it's just completely ****ing boring and mind numbing.

Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Deathstroke has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Arnold likes to troll people
    GreAt oratory, he was just ****ing with lifters in typical troll fashion

Wwe is very real ATHLETICALLY but since the bouts are not actual fight exhibitions and the outcomes are chosen beforehand it doesn’t count as a sport.

So not everything that takes real physical strength and or agility counts as a sport.

But really Arnold has been involved in wwe too and was just joking about lifting being one.

Cheeky goobnah ah-nold at his goat lol
    BLM (Brock Lesnar Matters)

Always go full potato crew

FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

It’s not a sport brotha. It’s a aesthetic pageant. No athletic competing takes place on stage. Holding your breath does not require athleticism. Top that off with the fact most bodybuilders, and complete opposite of athletic.

Buy high, sell higher. HMFIC_BROWSIN's Avatar
    HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) HMFIC_BROWSIN has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I'm pretty sure they're being sarcastic when they say that. Even mountain bikers will call themselves athletes and start LOLing right after.
    Spoiler alert; you die at the end.

FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) FredWreck619 is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by HMFIC_BROWSIN View Post
    I'm pretty sure they're being sarcastic when they say that. Even mountain bikers will call themselves athletes and start LOLing right after.
    Lol bodybuilders are built literally too nonathletic to play sports.

MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by NorthernLad93 View Post
    Doesn't make them athletes. Same can be said for pro ballet dancers.
    x 1 agreed NL93 yeah mate!!

MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) MatthewChav is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by W1LLW View Post
    It’s almost as bad as when baseball players are called athletes. So embarrassing
    APoint but I agree more that Bodybuilding is'nt Sport (par Weights and lifting etc etc)!!

Originally Posted by BetaAsPhuck View Post
    Athleticism is more than just being strong.

Strength, agility, fitness, speed, etc.
    True I agree - but only in certain way's in relation to certain sports!