Brisfitgirl is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Seeking some advice re: strength, diet and fat loss

Hi there, I'm new here but have been training on an off for a while now. I will post photos here and in my bod space tomorrow. Have posted in the female body building but thought maybe some men would have advice as well. Just left out some quesions re: my monthly cycle on this post lol

I am getting married in a year and a half and want to be in my best physical form ever, but a 5 month break from any workouts caused me to put on some fat. I have lost some, it's seemed to slow though and I want to lose more. I also lost a tone of strength.

I am really wanting to lose more fat as well as regain the strength I lost. Is it possible to regain my strength on a calorie deficit? Or does it make more sense to eat more, regain the strength and THEN focus on cutting body fat? I am currently eating a very low carb with lots of fat and sufficient protein around 1300-1400 cal/day....

I am curious, does anybody have knowledge or experience with insulin resistance and genetics that lean towards type 2 diabetes? Is there a body fat level at which is actually becomes beneficial to consume more carbs in the diet to see fat loss? I felt the need to do more carb ups recently but not sure if there is a general body fat level at which readjusting macros to include a more standard amound of carbs. If anybody knows that would be great.

I suspect some other issues going on that are screwing with my hormones as well and I most likely need to resolve them before I see the weight drop. I developed cystic acne while I was off from working out and eating crap and think it had to do with the insane amount of carbs they fed me....potatoes, rice, cassava ,taro every freaking day and the lack of physical activity.
    Last edited by Brisfitgirl; 05-28-2017 at 06:55 PM.

I posted some pics in my body space if that helps anyone give me advice. The "Before" pic was after 3 months of terrible eating and absolutely no physical activity. The current pic is after 1 month clean eating with sporadic exercise and another month of clean eating with 3 weeks of focused training.

Can I realistically continue to build my strength back to my previous level while still cutting fat? or would I need to increase calories to maintenance?

The scale measured my fat at just under 25% and I thought I look visually similar to photos I have seen stating 25%, I'm not sure if I am accurate or not, but curious to know other people's estimates of my bf%

My end goal is to achieve better proportions and visible muscle definition, given my current form does it make most sense for me to do further fat loss and then start focusing on gaining muscle or should I do that now and cut?

Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    tldr
    See my gallery.

edited down

Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Adare1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What was your strength before? You keep referring to 'old strength' 'get strength back' and it's tough to know what you mean.

If you want to lose fat, you should eat at a calorie deficit. If you want to gain muscle (or strength) to lift heavier, you can eat at a surplus. If you want to look 'toned', you just eat at a deficit and lift, and as you lose calories and eat proper protein / fat / carbs you'll see your body grow a little stronger through noob gains while still looking thin.
    See my gallery.

mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mickeyreeves has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You could try the greasing the groove method.. Basically the theory is that strength is largely a CNS thing and you can train the nerve signals to get stronger (look it up, and don't quote me it's a bit of a weird concept) via repetition and practice throughout the day. For example, use a chinup bar in your house and through the day just at random times a few hours apart, crank out some chinups. Basically it's the theory that strength is something you can practice but it should be easier on your body when in a calorie deficit because your not totally bagging yourself strength training for an hour everyday, rather you are practicing it throughout the day. I've gotten much stronger at chinups this way despite eating at a deficit, and curls, and diamond pushups, which are pretty tough for a newbie who's gaining strength

Fitness Anarchist SerpentHearted's Avatar
    SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SerpentHearted has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1400 isn't enough.

Even if you've lost fitness, if you have trained before you have some level of proficiency at training.
    What you are trying to do is get back to your previous condition, previous level of performance, etc.

Calculate your calorie targets based on goal condition (approx goal weight at high % lean mass) with your level of activity & level of proficiency at training in mind. It will be well above the amounts you've mentioned. Also low carb is of no benefit.

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You seem to be overcomplicating or at least overthinking things. Eat in a deficit and lift weights. A small to moderate deficit will give you a better chance of increasing strength than will a large deficit. Follow this long term and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Adare1 View Post
    What was your strength before? You keep referring to 'old strength' 'get strength back' and it's tough to know what you mean.

If you want to lose fat, you should eat at a calorie deficit. If you want to gain muscle (or strength) to lift heavier, you can eat at a surplus. If you want to look 'toned', you just eat at a deficit and lift, and as you lose calories and eat proper protein / fat / carbs you'll see your body grow a little stronger through noob gains while still looking thin.
    Thank you for your reply. My previous strength in early Dec. before going on a long break was deadlift 60kg x 16 reps or 95kg for a single, OHP I was doing 20 kg 12-15 rep sets, squats 57.5 kg for sets of 5 and dumbbell bench press 12.5 kg x 10-12 reps. Never really tested 1RM with anything aside from deadlifts.

After 5 months of no lifting and currently three weeks back at it. I can only do deadlifts 60kg x 5 reps, OHP 18 kg x 5-6, dumbbell bench press 9kg x 7-8 and squats I won't bother listing as I have been training legs a bit differently focusing more on volume.

As you can see, I have lost A LOT of strength and it seems it's coming back kind of slow.

Originally Posted by mickeyreeves View Post
    You could try the greasing the groove method.. Basically the theory is that strength is largely a CNS thing and you can train the nerve signals to get stronger (look it up, and don't quote me it's a bit of a weird concept) via repetition and practice throughout the day. For example, use a chinup bar in your house and through the day just at random times a few hours apart, crank out some chinups. Basically it's the theory that strength is something you can practice but it should be easier on your body when in a calorie deficit because your not totally bagging yourself strength training for an hour everyday, rather you are practicing it throughout the day. I've gotten much stronger at chinups this way despite eating at a deficit, and curls, and diamond pushups, which are pretty tough for a newbie who's gaining strength
    This sounds very interesting! I will look up the science behind it and give it a go.

StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    well.. you said you want to lose weight and gain strength as well and achieve maximum results in 1.5 years..

1.5 years is a lot of time to do both

anyway you need to focus on what you want, lose weight to look good @ wedding, or put on some strength, you can always do both but it's harder and requires more dedication/work but you have time.

1) "Regaining strength" after a break is not a problem, as humans have muscle memory, so with some dedication, good workout planning, rest, and workouts you will be able to gain this strength back in about 3 months or something..

2) Cutting weight requires dedication, will power, and some work, as per your pics, you look good atm (id tap), I wouldn't suggest prioritising cardio over strength training as you want to gain strength for some reason..

If you are really serious about it, I can suggest planning workout programs or find one online, follow set plan, have plenty of recovery (good sleep/naps/rest), eat clean, keep it low GI, avoid alcohol.

Do not overtrain yourself thinking that it will be better.. you have 1.5 years. just follow strict program and plan.

to start training I would advise
    1) do 4 week basic program, do like 3-4 sets of 10 reps, not necessarily until failure 2-3 exercises per body part
    2) to 8 weeks standard pyramid program e.g. 12-10-8-6 reps, or as a girl you can do 15-12-10-8.. take a week off
    3) test yourself, do like 2-3 RM on deadlifts, squats, benchpress, take 3 days off or something ( I don't suggest doing 1rm as you don't seem to have enough knowledge, and it is high risk of injury)
    4) start powerlifting program e.g. simplest one is 5x5, you can easily find one

e.g. first I'd suggest spending about 3 months preparing ur ligaments, joints and muscles for "strength training" as if you jump straight in after so long break & also you seem to lack knowledge, you can injure yourself and it's not worth it, so spend about 3 months preparing for it, then when you are confident jump in to strength programs

as for fat loss, if you do good quality programs and clean eating and plenty of rest, you should be ok w/o any cardio, if after 6-10 months or so you don't lose much weight then you are doing something wrong, or just you have slow metabolism, you can do some HIIT training, it is best for fat loss & minimal muscle loss.

Originally Posted by SerpentHearted View Post
    1400 isn't enough.

Even if you've lost fitness, if you have trained before you have some level of proficiency at training.
    What you are trying to do is get back to your previous condition, previous level of performance, etc.

Calculate your calorie targets based on goal condition (approx goal weight at high % lean mass) with your level of activity & level of proficiency at training in mind. It will be well above the amounts you've mentioned. Also low carb is of no benefit.
    Hi there, what calculator do you recommond I use to get an accurate number? I agree that low carb is not beneficial to most people, but I am prone to developing insulin resistance due to having genetics for type 2 diabetes. I went through a period of time in 2015 where I was trying to lose fat on a C30/P40/F30 macro split and I experimented with higher carb levels of 40 and a bit less fat as well and nothing was working over a course of 4-5 months so it wasn't a case of expecting immediate results. I went keto then, stopped tracking calorie intake and just made sure I ate lots of fat, moderate protein and minimal carbs with a carb up once a week.....then the weight fell off, energy levels balaced. I was a bit overweight for my height and small frame when I was trying to lose then at 64.kg, dropped 7kg. I think there is a certain body fat level where insulin sensitivty is restored and keto is not longer useful though. I increased carbs a bit around my workout times the past couple days and performance/energy level felt better, so may be at that point.

StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250) StriationsBruh has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    also as per your edit, if you suspect you have health problems, test your hormones, if there problems doc will sort you out..

anyway I think that you are overanalysing and overcomplicating your life.

I lost half of my weight back in the days, docs told me all kinds of b/s, like I will never be able to lose weight due to hormonal imbalance anomaly, that i already have pre-diabetes and it is unavoidable, that i might die from a stroke or something..

it put me off for some time, but then i just focused on my goal, had strict dedication, no high GI foods for 5 years, only on birthday or NYE.. no alcohol completely, eating clean, resting well, good quality planned workouts > quality fat loss.

Speeding things up with fat loss and strength training will only make things worse, you have to set yourself a goal, and follow strict plan, and that's it.

do your hormonal test, if you do not have and problems focus on quality diet, lifestyle and training.

i was paranoid about my blood sugar as well, i spoke to my friend with diabetes and basically i have same diet as them ,as it is perfect for bodybuilding as well.

the best thing is oatmeal on water in the morning, it is low GI, quality food, helps maintaining healthy bowel. Then focus on Low GI during the day, and do not shock your body with experimental diets.

tl;dr all you have to do is eat low GI, do not spike your insulin, train well.

and then if you have to get diabetes you will get it.. there is no way to avoid it, it develops over time, you can speed up the process by eating junk, but you can't avoid it..

so again, low GI

Originally Posted by StriationsBruh View Post
    also as per your edit, if you suspect you have health problems, test your hormones, if there problems doc will sort you out..

anyway I think that you are overanalysing and overcomplicating your life.

I lost half of my weight back in the days, docs told me all kinds of b/s, like I will never be able to lose weight due to hormonal imbalance anomaly, that i already have pre-diabetes and it is unavoidable, that i might die from a stroke or something..

it put me off for some time, but then i just focused on my goal, had strict dedication, no high GI foods for 5 years, only on birthday or NYE.. no alcohol completely, eating clean, resting well, good quality planned workouts > quality fat loss.

Speeding things up with fat loss and strength training will only make things worse, you have to set yourself a goal, and follow strict plan, and that's it.

do your hormonal test, if you do not have and problems focus on quality diet, lifestyle and training.

i was paranoid about my blood sugar as well, i spoke to my friend with diabetes and basically i have same diet as them ,as it is perfect for bodybuilding as well.

the best thing is oatmeal on water in the morning, it is low GI, quality food, helps maintaining healthy bowel. Then focus on Low GI during the day, and do not shock your body with experimental diets.

tl;dr all you have to do is eat low GI, do not spike your insulin, train well.

and then if you have to get diabetes you will get it.. there is no way to avoid it, it develops over time, you can speed up the process by eating junk, but you can't avoid it..

so again, low GI
    Thank you for taking the time to write both of your detailed posts. They were both very assuring to read. You are correct, I have overcomplicated things a bit and I was likely getting too far ahead of myself and just need to take things one thing at a time really because yes, I do have lots of time.

I will be getting my hormones checked to make sure all is well there. I am especially happy to hear that you had some health concerns in the past and were able to achieve your goals regardless. My fears about developing chronic diseases likely come from being surrounded by individuals who mismange their own. At first it was just parents and relatives.....then I went to a developing country where about half the population is diabetic and/or hypertensive to volunteer in public health for a few months, it was the level of complications that I saw develop as a resul of living with those diseases that freaked me out. Thank you again, it's very reassuring to hear these things because I have been surrounded by people who basically become diabetic and then become content with being unfit, overmedicated etc.

You are correct that if it's going to develop it will develop, but when managed properly by eating the right way and being active, it doesn't really hinder physical goals.

Originally Posted by Brisfitgirl View Post
    Thank you for taking the time to write both of your detailed posts. They were both very assuring to read. You are correct, I have overcomplicated things a bit and I was likely getting too far ahead of myself and just need to take things one thing at a time really because yes, I do have lots of time.

I will be getting my hormones checked to make sure all is well there. I am especially happy to hear that you had some health concerns in the past and were able to achieve your goals regardless. My fears about developing chronic diseases likely come from being surrounded by individuals who mismange their own. At first it was just parents and relatives.....then I went to a developing country where about half the population is diabetic and/or hypertensive to volunteer in public health for a few months, it was the level of complications that I saw develop as a resul of living with those diseases that freaked me out. Thank you again, it's very reassuring to hear these things because I have been surrounded by people who basically become diabetic and then become content with being unfit, overmedicated etc.

You are correct that if it's going to develop it will develop, but when managed properly by eating the right way and being active, it doesn't really hinder physical goals.
    well you over complicate things way too much, you have good healthy body, no excess fat, and even if you set yourself that goal for "perfect" condition in 1.5 years it is plenty..

and yeah just check your hormones, make sure that they are actually imbalanced,if they are you might get some meds, but i doubt so.. if everything is ok just focus on low GI, oatmeal with water for breakfast, don't spike your insulin if you are paranoid, and you will be okay. I had alot of reads and even spoke to one professor in Austria, he said if you have "hormone" for diabetes it is unavoidable, so you will get it at some point..

Also just to release the tension, diabetes is not that bad either, it just affects your quality of life not necessarily your health, if you maintain good diet you will live normal life so there is nothing to be afraid of anyway..

and if you dont have insulin imbalance at start it is really hard to develop, unless u are 400 pound whale on high GI 24/7.. if you are surrounded by people that cant keep up with their diet e.g. family, friends,partner - simple as that, eat the way you need to, cook for yourself and ignore them, you have a goal, plan...

like my mom doesnt get how diet works, low GI, high GI, carbs etc.. even after long explanations, she just wont change.. we had alot of arguments, now i just cook for myself and ignore whatever anyone says..