1Dinosaur is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Need personalized advice for skinny guy wanting more muscle

Hi everyone!

First time posting here, although I've been an active reader for some time. Hope someone can help out.

Putting it shortly my issue is whether I'm working out in the most efficient way or not, as I dont see much progress. My goal is not to go up two sizes in t-shirts, but to pack on some more muscle. I use the defined, skinny Bruce Lee-like physique as an inspiration. I've been working out for a few years, switching up programs, going from body-split to full body workouts only, doing different exercises, but always focusing on the big core lifts. My motivation has been shifting, but in general the last 3-4 years have proven very little results, besides going from having no frame at all to some.

Right now I'm doing 30 min workouts, 3x a week with deadlift, squat and bench press only.

With 3x6 reps I currently lift:

93kg / 203 lb deadlifts
    68kg / 150 lb squats
    53kg / 116 lb bench press

I have a healthy diet, and try to eat a lot of proteins. I get enough sleep, and try to rest as much as I can when not lifting, but my work requires me to be semi-active every day.

I have read so many guides and articles, but I do hope someone can offer some insight now that you have my background info.

Cheers.

Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Ghawk21 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you want to put on muscle and haven't been then you need to eat more. Head over to the nutrition forums for all things diet related, read the sticky on finding how many calories you need. Get on a real workout routine, for 3-4 years training you have beginner numbers on the big three ( no offense). Check out programs like Fierce5, Starting Strength, and others mentioned here in the stickies.
    Bench: 365
    Squat: 495
    Deadlift: 535

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by 1Dinosaur View Post
    Hi everyone!

First time posting here, although I've been an active reader for some time. Hope someone can help out.

Putting it shortly my issue is whether I'm working out in the most efficient way or not, as I dont see much progress. My goal is not to go up two sizes in t-shirts, but to pack on some more muscle. I use the defined, skinny Bruce Lee-like physique as an inspiration. I've been working out for a few years, switching up programs, going from body-split to full body workouts only, doing different exercises, but always focusing on the big core lifts. My motivation has been shifting, but in general the last 3-4 years have proven very little results, besides going from having no frame at all to some.

Right now I'm doing 30 min workouts, 3x a week with deadlift, squat and bench press only.

93kg / 203 lb deadlifts
    68kg / 150 lb squats

I have a healthy diet, and try to eat a lot of proteins. I get enough sleep, and try to rest as much as I can when not lifting, but my work requires me to be semi-active every day.

I have read so many guides and articles, but I do hope someone can offer some insight now that you have my background info.

Cheers.
    If you have been an active reader here surely you already know what you are doing wrong and what we are going to tell you. You can probably even guess exactly what I a going to post.

Read the stickies and look around at reputable novice routines such as Fierce 5, Starting Strength, All Pros, etc. Pick one and follow it. Check Nutrition Forum stickies. Track calories and carbs/fat/protein daily, as well as bodyweight. (www.myfitnesspal.com is popular for this)

Go to the Nutrition section and read the stickies.

Saying "healthy diet" tells us nothing. To gain weight and build muscle you need to gain weight, what does your bodyweight change come to on average per week? Daily calories and carb/fat/protein?

vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Increase protein and carbs. Increase training frequency.

maz20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by 1Dinosaur View Post
    Hi everyone!

93kg / 203 lb deadlifts
    68kg / 150 lb squats

Cheers.
    Simple answer --- to get more muscle just increase any or all of your workout intensity, time-under-tension, and frequency. Then, just apply that to whichever workout that triggers you most *metabolically*. The muscles, the size, increased appetite, etc... will all arrive shortly thereafter! ;-)

*Edit: for noobs I recommend prioritizing time-under-tension first, check out t-nation's article on "10-minute sets" for some ideas (since I can't post links here yet by forum rules)