keithc5 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Missing Training Days

When following a workout program, and you miss a day or possibly even two where you just couldnt workout due to work or life or whatever reason.
    what is the best way to handle it and move on?

Do you try to squeeze in the workout at some point later in the week?
    Cross it off the list as a workout missed and continue with the program as its set out?
    Complete the workout when you can and push all subsequent workouts to the next day?

blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blue9steel has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It depends on your recovery capacity. If you're right near the limit then often times it's better to just take the extra rest and move on. If you have plenty of recovery capacity left then make it up on another day, but in that case why aren't you working harder to begin with?

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by keithc5 View Post
    When following a workout program, and you miss a day or possibly even two where you just couldnt workout due to work or life or whatever reason.
    what is the best way to handle it and move on?

Do you try to squeeze in the workout at some point later in the week?
    Cross it off the list as a workout missed and continue with the program as its set out?
    Complete the workout when you can and push all subsequent workouts to the next day?
    That depends on the program in question, why you couldn't, what day(s) you missed, if you are able to schedule future workouts on different days of the week or not, if sleep/nutrition/stress was effected, etc.

Impossible to answer without specific information.

For a novice following a typical 3x/week full body program chances are that just picking up on the next scheduled lifting day, with the next workout that was in line (A/B format, just do whichever was next), will be the answer, provided the reason(s) for missing didn't have a significant negative impact on recovery etc

vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) vascularphreak has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I'd hit the next day in the rotation. That's the way my workouts are set up anyway.

_Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) _Aggression_ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If I was supposed to bench on Monday but couldn't get there, then I'd bench on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or whenever I had the first opportunity. I would never skip the bench day and roll right into the next. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Hit the specific workouts when you can. Your body doesn't recognize the fact that its Monday and you should be training a specific bodypart. Option 3, IMO, should be the only way.
    Best Meet Lifts:
    SQ: 460 (sleeves)
    BP: 350
    DL: 510
    Total: 1300 (242 wrapped)

"I refuse to tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death"

www.animalpak.com

I can do this all day Farley1324's Avatar
    Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Farley1324 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by _Aggression_ View Post
    If I was supposed to bench on Monday but couldn't get there, then I'd bench on Tuesday, or Wednesday, or whenever I had the first opportunity. I would never skip the bench day and roll right into the next. In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Hit the specific workouts when you can. Your body doesn't recognize the fact that its Monday and you should be training a specific bodypart. Option 3, IMO, should be the only way.
    Generally speaking yes, but as most things it's not an absolute.

Example from me in the past, Texas Method 3x/week in volume/recovery/intensity format, tight IRL schedule that doesn't let me just push my workouts all back a day, I am unable to do recovery day when I am supposed to, it's not the end of the world to skip a recovery day and resume with intensity...possibly a better solution than doing recovery day on intensity day's day and then being completely off schedule on a program that has fairly rigid scheduling of days as they relate to one another (there are other ways to try to fix it if you can't do recovery on it's day in that example, but skipping it is a legitimate possibility)

Which is one of the things I really like about 5/3/1 whenever I run it...option 3 is absolutely perfect and simple as hell and that can really help when life stuff gets in the way of something