Thread: High Ketones

KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50)

High Ketones

I did a 31.44 ride yesterday at 4:15 pace (2:14:05)(14.1 mpg) Slowest mile was 5:55 and the fastest was mile 21 at 3:28. This was my longest ride this year (previous being 8 miles - not much experience) and I faded quickly around mile 25. I contribute most of that to my lack of training at distance and a small portion to my still adapting to Keto.

After the Ride, my Blood Glucose was at 56 and my Ketones were at 5.2. I've read that is fairly common after a long endurance type cardio, but what was perplexing was that this morning, my Ketones were at 5.1 still.

Thoughts?
    Trying this Keto thing.

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by KBDelight View Post
    I did a 31.44 ride yesterday at 4:15 pace (2:14:05)(14.1 mpg) Slowest mile was 5:55 and the fastest was mile 21 at 3:28. This was my longest ride this year (previous being 8 miles - not much experience) and I faded quickly around mile 25. I contribute most of that to my lack of training at distance and a small portion to my still adapting to Keto.

After the Ride, my Blood Glucose was at 56 and my Ketones were at 5.2. I've read that is fairly common after a long endurance type cardio, but what was perplexing was that this morning, my Ketones were at 5.1 still.

Thoughts?
    how are you testing ketones ?
    Staying below 9% BF Year Round
    Ketosis Since - August / 14 / 2015
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day
    No Longer Doing Social Media Or Roaming Forums Often
    Display Picture Old And Not Up To Date
    New Instagram Not posting much as this time J.Banaitis

Lifting2Cut is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by JonBana View Post
    Jon, a few questions for you.

1. Is there any use whatsoever to the ketostix? I am currently getting the darkest readings.

2. If I am strict with my diet and exercising frequently, is there a point to getting a blood tester?

3. How long does the Keto "flu" last, and is there anyway to mitigate it/when will I know I am over it?

Backstory: I am 1.5 weeks into my first ketosis and have been extremely strict with the 60-35-5 breakdown, thus know I am in Ketosis. I have been working out 6 times a week and doing solid amounts of cardio, I am assuming that helps.

KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Blood. I'd appreciate it if you checked out my log and gave me any insights. I'm new to keto and I know you have much more experience and knowledge on the diet.

Thanks
    Trying this Keto thing.

Originally Posted by Lifting2Cut View Post
    Jon, a few questions for you.

1. Is there any use whatsoever to the ketostix? I am currently getting the darkest readings.

2. If I am strict with my diet and exercising frequently, is there a point to getting a blood tester?

3. How long does the Keto "flu" last, and is there anyway to mitigate it/when will I know I am over it?

Backstory: I am 1.5 weeks into my first ketosis and have been extremely strict with the 60-35-5 breakdown, thus know I am in Ketosis. I have been working out 6 times a week and doing solid amounts of cardio, I am assuming that helps.
    Why so high on the protein? Excess protein will be broken down to glucose and defeat the whole purpose of ketosis.

As for the Keto flu mitigation - it hit me last week a few times and it was usually a result of not enough electrolytes. I got some extra sodium and potassium in me and it usually helped pretty quick... at least the the foggy head/any nausea -
    Trying this Keto thing.

Originally Posted by KBDelight View Post
    Why so high on the protein? Excess protein will be broken down to glucose and defeat the whole purpose of ketosis.

As for the Keto flu mitigation - it hit me last week a few times and it was usually a result of not enough electrolytes. I got some extra sodium and potassium in me and it usually helped pretty quick... at least the the foggy head/any nausea -
    Most articles I've read has had the 60-35-5 macro breakdown as the benchmark. I've also posted on this site before and was told to hit 120 grams of protein (I was originally around 100). What do you think the macro benchmark should be?

I have roughly 175lbs of lean muscle and eat about 133 g of fat and 120 G of protein, I don't think that's a high protein number for this diet.

Re keto flu, how long into the diet are you? And thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Lifting2Cut; 05-27-2017 at 02:05 PM.

Most articles I've read has had the 60-35-5 macro breakdown as the benchmark. I've also posted on this site before and was told to hit 120 grams of protein (I was originally around 100). What do you think the macro benchmark should be?

I have roughly 175lbs of lean muscle and eat about 133 g of fat and 120 G of protein, I don't think that's a high protein number for this diet.

Re keto flu, how long into the diet are you? And thanks for the tip.
    I'll start with the Keto Flu - I started the diet on the 16th of this month and felt great ... thought maybe I'd be one of the lucky few to escape the flu - alas, the 24th and 25th roll around and bam - there it is. More water, more salt, more potassium and I was able to at least significantly cut the fog and nausea I felt - the fatigue was still slightly there. It doesn't seem to effect me in the morning, but mid day, woooo

So, the study I'm doing, which is led by Jeff Volek, has me at the 75/20/5 ratio.

The first Week until I reached ketosis they wanted me in the 80/15/5 range - here are the maintenance numbers they gave me.

The protein in your numbers seems fine, but the fat #'s seem very low. For me: 20g of carbs and 120g protein is already 560kcal of my daily requirements covered. What's left comes from fat. That means at a 10-15% deficit - I'm between 200-220g of fat.

Using a quick Keto calculator (keto-calculator.ankerl.com/) - at 10% deficit - I'm here:

2520 kcal Daily Calorie Intake
    20 g Carbs (3%, 80 kcal)
    120 g Protein (19%, 480 kcal)
    218 g Fat (78%, 1960 kcal)
    Trying this Keto thing.

I'm at roughly 17-1800 calories a day because I have a significant amount of BF and am trying to cut down asap. I have the next 2 months off from work so I want to get through the most difficult part/deficits now and ease up once I get back to work. So far my strength has only been increasing, so I am guessing I am not eating my muscle.

JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500) JonBana is not very helpful. (-500)
    I'm at roughly 17-1800 calories a day because I have a significant amount of BF and am trying to cut down asap. I have the next 2 months off from work so I want to get through the most difficult part/deficits now and ease up once I get back to work. So far my strength has only been increasing, so I am guessing I am not eating my muscle.
    on a correct keto diet you will gain muscle and strength and not lose any muscle this is why fats are always high 75-85% they are your energy and more muscle sparing than protein ,
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day

on a correct keto diet you will gain muscle and strength and not lose any muscle this is why fats are always high 75-85% they are your energy and more muscle sparing than protein ,
    After a week of 3 Coke Zeroes a day and 60-65% Fat diet, my ketones the past few days have been consistently between 2.0-2.5. (Precision Blood meter), so I don't think the no soda, extreme fat diet is necessary, not for me at least.

After a week of 3 Coke Zeroes a day and 60-65% Fat diet, my ketones the past few days have been consistently between 2.0-2.5. (Precision Blood meter), so I don't think the no soda, extreme fat diet is necessary, not for me at least.
    high blood levels and being adapted are completely different any one can eat coconut oil or mct and show high blood ketones remember that
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day

I mean, you can do what you want... but why come here for advice?

Early on the diet - you're just doing what you want and later will make excuses why you're not fat adapted. Quit focusing so much on calories and focus on getting fat adapted. Once you do that, decreasing calories leads your body to use its own fat as fuel and thats what you ultimately want.
    Trying this Keto thing.

I mean, how does one tell when they are fat adapted? 3 weeks in my blood ketones are consistently 1.5-2.5

Edit, woke up this morning at 3.... I have to guess that I am fat adapted considering I didn't eat anything for over 12 hours. Thoughts?
    Last edited by Lifting2Cut; 06-02-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Keto flu all gone. Looks like I get to stick with the Coke Zeroes
    Last edited by Lifting2Cut; 06-03-2017 at 06:35 AM.

[QUOTE=Lifting2Cut;1506793071]I mean, how does one tell when they are fat adapted? 3 weeks in my blood ketones are consistently 1.5

true fat adaption takes 6months - 1 year ... just because you are in ketosis does not mean you are fat adapted this takes months , when I got fat adaped I noticed blood levels dropped to sub 1.0mmol when you are fat adapted you will not have high blood levels because you will be using them faster than you are storing them
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day

Thanks for this information, I didn't know that and would never have assumed it/haven't seen any articles indicating that. So then would you say that there aren't many benefits until you are fat adapted (6 months/1year in)? Or the benefits are magnified or what?

[QUOTE=Lifting2Cut;1506188431]Jon, a few questions for you.

Backstory: I am 1.5 weeks into my first ketosis and have been extremely strict with the 60

1.) No they are completely useless they messure ketones thrown away from the body when your adapt you will show none these are for diabetics because if they see ketones in the piss they are in trouble , also drinking more water they will go away drink less water and you can turn the sticks purple , I cannot turn them any colour at all

blood is the only true way to test , but remember just because you show ketones does not mean anything , many people can be in ketosis and show blood levels or levels on the ketostix and not be fat adapted , I would stay away from the ketostix if your set on testing get a blood meter worth the investment

2.) if you strict and don't care about blood levels than no need , I like many serious people like to test blood to make sure to much protein and etc is not kicking us out, the only problem is when you start testing you chase numbers , and numbers are not needed unless for medical conditions , so I would stay away eat moderate protein higher fat and you will be fine ,

3.) Do not go by ratios , you go by grams per pound , ratios can keep you out of ketosis with to much protein very easy , whats your body weight and current macros ? keto flue is always and usually from poor electrolyte imbalance , all my clients never get the flue , eat avocados every day and salt all your food every meal and take magnesium ,

you may think your in ketosis but you may not be in ketosis remember that its very hard to stay in ketosis 24 hours a day unless you are well fat adapted , but send me your body stats and macros and ill look over them for you to make sure your on the right track for you
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day

[QUOTE=Lifting2Cut;1506793071]I mean, how does one tell when they are fat adapted? 3 weeks in my blood ketones are consistently 1.5

you don't know , fat adapted takes months some people years , you will eventually just no it but a good thing is the longer you are keto the better you are at using fat as fuel but I would say a minimum 6months to be completely fat adapted with zero cheats as for you ketone readings I hope those are blood no ketostix , if they are ketostix throw them away because in the morning you just went 8-12 hours without fluids you will be dehydrated and of course you will turn the piss sticks purple lol

fat adaptopn does not come from blood levels or not eating it comes from the body learning how to use ketones for months just because you are showing ketones does not mean you are adapted
    Keto Expert
    IF
    1 Meal a day