mestek is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Question Stopping keto temporarily and plateau?

Hi again,

I wrote two months ago asking about few stuff concerning the keto diet and here are my results:

Duration: 2 months
    Weight loss: 14 Kgs (31 lbs)
    Current body fat percentage: 22.5%
    Current weight: 88.5 Kgs (195 lbs)
    Height: 1.74 m (5'9")

I started and continued keto for the sole purpose of losing weight and it worked very well55', but I've been stuck on 88.5 Kgs (195 lbs) for 2 weeks now although I started working out on a non-regular basis like one month ago.
    I've been advised by the same friend who suggested I would try the ketogenic diet to stop it for 10-14 days and then start it again, justifying this by saying that my body has adapted to the food intake and the macro-nutrients and won't be losing weight for a good while if I won't do this.

So he is suggesting to follow a normal low calorie and low fat/healthy food diet for 10-14 days, and asking me to keep my total carbs intake between 150-200 grams per day. He also asked me not to count calories or not to be too strict, and try to avoid fats as much as possible, include a cheat meal during this period etc...

So I was wondering are those advises to be followed?
    Won't I gain some of the fat weight I lost by doing this?
    Should I count calories and keep a good deficit (500 Kcal?) or just try to be reasonable?

What do you guys think?

krakken61 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) krakken61 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm an avid keto enthusiast. I think your friend is right. Take a break from keto and maybe even incorporate good sources of carbs for a week or two and then get back at it. Your body is very good at adapting to diets.

I would have the same issue with this. However, for me, instead of taking off weeks from the diet, I simply added in a cheat day/meals etc.. and then get back at the keto next-day. Might be worth looking into carb cycling too (hit keto hard for days and then fuel up on carbs, repeat)

Originally Posted by krakken61 View Post
    I'm an avid keto enthusiast. I think your friend is right. Take a break from keto and maybe even incorporate good sources of carbs for a week or two and then get back at it. Your body is very good at adapting to diets.

I would have the same issue with this. However, for me, instead of taking off weeks from the diet, I simply added in a cheat day/meals etc.. and then get back at the keto next-day. Might be worth looking into carb cycling too (hit keto hard for days and then fuel up on carbs, repeat)
    I did so for a week now and only lost 1.5 Kg, but my belly hasn't dropped at all!
    When can I go back to Keto again?
    Do you know if Keto along with fasting all day and eating 1 meal per day at 7:00 pm should work or not? (I live in the middle east and I'm thinking of using Ramadhan to fast along with the people here and eat just once at sunset or maybe another meal before sunrise)

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If you're not losing weight it's because you're eating too many calories. Simple as that.

This is true on any diet, carbs or keto.
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50) KBDelight will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What does your diet look like when on Keto? Do you use something like MyFitnessPal to log your food?

Here's my diet from yesterday:

Trying this Keto thing.

There was no change in my eating habits that I can relate to not losing weight.
    I keep a good 600-800 caloric deficit and I use myfitnesspal to log the food yes.