otag0 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Back to lifting after 5-year break, how does this routine look?

Bit of background, I've always been a skinnier guy growing up. I started lifting when I was 17 and did so for about a year, gained a lot of strength and my weight went from 145lb to 185 (mostly water and fat but plenty was muscle) at 6"1'. College/life happened so I've been almost completely sedentary for the past 4-5 years (23 now), I'm at around 160lb and strength-wise I'm at around the same level I was at 17 before I ever touched weights, rather skinny-fat unfortunately.

Decided to go back to the gym and I'm wondering if someone could critique this workout split. I should have significant muscle memory from a few years ago so I'm looking to optimize my routine to take advantage of that.

Day 1- Back/Biceps

5 Sets lat pulldowns
    4 Sets Rows on a machine
    3 sets DB shrugs
    2 sets BB curls

Day 2- Chest, Shoulders, Triceps

4 sets DB overhead shoulder press
    4 sets DB incline bench
    4 sets DB flat bench
    2 sets DB behind-the-neck tricep extensions

Day 3- Legs

6 sets leg press (don't want to get injured squatting)
    4 sets calf extensions on the leg press

Day 4- Rest. Repeat after this.

Rep-wise what I do is start with a weight where I can get around 10-12 reps until failure on the first set, and the subsequent sets I usually fail at fewer reps.

How does this look for a routine for someone trying to get back into it? Any tips or advice on what I should add/subtract/change would be appreciated

Professional Toner WorldClassDBag's Avatar
    WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) WorldClassDBag has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    0/10. Get on a proven routine. And you won't get hurt squatting if your form is good
    S/B/D/OHP: 405/265/495/180

suf·fer Beau·ti·(ful)·ly

SA Spurs

Originally Posted by WorldClassDBag View Post
    0/10. Get on a proven routine. And you won't get hurt squatting if your form is good
    Just saying 0/10 isn't very constructive, why?

bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lots of dumbell work in there, do you not have access to barbells?

Too much pressing in relation to your pulls.

Why do you think you will get injured squatting?

Why no hamstrings and lower back work?

Why not look at the tried and tested routines in the stickies?

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bob2589 View Post

This. "0/10" is a bit harsh (have seen much worse than this!), but the leg day is especially poor. Even if you don't want to squat, which is ok depending on your goals, I would still have some posterior chain work (RDLs?) and some isos (extensions and curls).
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

Originally Posted by bob2589 View Post

I have a normal gym right now with barbells, however when I was younger I worked out exclusively with db's so it's just what I'm used to.

Too much pressing, does that mean I should add an exercise to back/bi day? Pullups, I guess? I'm trying to not go over 15 sets per day.

I've had a lower back injury before so yes leg day is conservative and safe, I don't want more problems. My legs in the past grew a lot faster than any other body part (stretch marks etc) so my goal with them is just to not totally neglect them and avoid injury. For hamstrings I do two sets of leg press with my feet set wider apart, I think it's enough.

Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Luca2 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I get you, however strengthening the posterior chain (glutes in particular) may actually help prevent further injury as glutes play an important role in supporting your lumbar spine. How about adding some barbell hip thrusts and seeing how you like them?

For injury prevention you need a strong core also, and I don't see enough core work in your routine. You can strengthen the core by either doing movements that require a lot of stabilization (deadlifts, single-leg deadlifts, Bulgarian split squats, pull-ups, etc.) or by doing direct core work.
    "Listen, I want you to come down here and go dancing with me and we'll have fun together. You know you like The Spaniard, you know you like The Sith Lord, you know that. Hello? You're blushing, I know you're into The Sith Lord, I know it! Hello? Hello? Helloooo? Aww I lost connection."

bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bob2589 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by otag0 View Post
    I have a normal gym right now with barbells, however when I was younger I worked out exclusively with db's so it's just what I'm used to.

Too much pressing, does that mean I should add an exercise to back/bi day? Pullups, I guess? I'm trying to not go over 15 sets per day.

I've had a lower back injury before so yes leg day is conservative and safe, I don't want more problems. My legs in the past grew a lot faster than any other body part (stretch marks etc) so my goal with them is just to not totally neglect them and avoid injury. For hamstrings I do two sets of leg press with my feet set wider apart, I think it's enough.
    Well ideally you would have a 2:1 ratio of pulling to pressing to maintain shoulder health and prevent the issues that come with too much internal rotation. As well as that, all of your vertical/horizontal pressing should be balanced with the equivalant pull.

There is alot of info out there regarding programming balance if you're interested in it.

Regarding your lower back injury - Have you been advised by a PT to avoid Squats and Deads? If not I would be inclined to re learn the movement patterns and add them into your routine.

Your suggestion about hamstrings is not enough, if you become overly quad dominant due to all the pressing you again run the risk of injury.