Mafy88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thinner leaner stronguer routine any good?

Hi all

Im looking for wise knowledge advise!
    Im not a bodybuilder or a fitness competitor. To be honest my goals are simple train to be stronguer, healthy and look good.
    I started lifting April last year and startwd eating properly at that time too. Before i was stuck in stupid diets with stupid long sessions of cardio.
    Moving forward... After completing Strong Curves I started Thinner leanner and Stronguer from Mike Matthews. It seems that I dont find honest reviews about it and thats why Im here.

My routine is like this

3 days of cardio using Body Shredded from Jillian Michaels and 3 days of lifting with TLS in a push/pull/legs rotation.

Is this routine solid or just wasting time with poor programming? Whats your opinion about TLS?

Cheers in advance

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is body shredded like a HIIT type thing? Jillian seems to do a lot of those, so it'd be my guess. If it is, and you're trying to build muscle first, then eating back those calories may be a PITA, and 3 days of HIIT plus lifting might effect your lifting days. I'd think it'd be a safer bet to go with the recommended programs on the stickies here in most cases. (Link.) Then, if you're on a cut and want to widen your deficit a bit, or if you just want cardio for health reasons you can add some in on rest days, or after lifting.

Worth noting though, if you have the book for Strong Curves you could just do one of the other versions of his program from in there, or you could keep doing SC and keep progressing with weights if you liked the routine. Completing the planned time doesn't mean you have to change, some people like switching here and there though, it's up to you. Just letting you know keeping the routine is an option too.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I ran the first Phase of Thinner Leaner Stronger before transitioning to All Pros. I like the program quite a lot and will go back to it, I just wanted something that was focused on increasing key benchmarks -- squat, deadlift, bench. I've read many of the articles on his website and it seems to me that his information is solid and relatively science-based -- my only complaint with him is all of the adds for his supplements. I'll give him props for saying supplements aren't necessary, but I have to roll my eyes when he goes on to say that most are a waste of money but HIS supplements, by golly, those are supported by SCIENCE.

He's got nice abs, tho, I'll give him that.

My only real complaint with the program as written is that (at least in the five-day-a-week version) he programs heavy deads and heavy squats on the same day, at the same number of sets and the same rep ranges. I find that very taxing, and would have preferred to see them on separate days. That's a personal gripe though, and your mileage may vary.
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

1 January 2017: 175.0
    1 June 2017: 154.4
    Goal Weight: 145.0 (by 1 August)

Week 1: 154.3 (6/2/17); Week 2: 154.4 (6/9/17); Week 3: 152.4 (6/16/17); Week 4: Friday 23th June; Week 5: Friday 30th June

body shredded is composed of push pull and cardio. 4 circuits of 3 min strengh, 2 min of cardio and 1 min of abs. And the cardio day is 20min of a hiit type of exercises.
    I only have around 1h per day for exercise, some days even less. I have a small gym at home so im a little bit limited in on that
    So in your opinion Im overtrainning? Also i didnt understood your point of view on TLS?
    I enjoyed SC but I got bored lol and I would like to include upper body exercises on my routines too thats why I changed

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Mafy88 View Post
    So in your opinion Im overtrainning?
    Probably not, but the "push pull cardio" sounds more like HIIT. So for someone newer to lifting, you'd probably get the most out of a routine that hits everything with more frequently (full body 3x a week, or upper/lower split). Rather than HIIT on most of your recovery days, and seemingly one leg day a week. Sounds like there's different versions of the routine from what Pai said, but the 3x HIIT, and 3x lifting split doesn't sound the best for a beginner. You can burn a bunch of calories, and provided eating in a deficit, lose weight with it, but it wouldn't be an optimal routine for building strength if you're not recovering better.

I'd recommend NROLFW, Fierce Five, something like that. *Rereads....* Wait, so you're mixing two routines? Ok, I'm much less confused now, lol. I'd recommend sticking with the TLS and drop the Jillian Michaels routine, they're meant to be their own programs. Just add in cardio (treadmill/elliptical, dance, swimming, whatever floats your boat) either on rest days, or after your lifting. Whatever you have time for. Most routines only require 45min to an hour, so you're good with the time you have.

I enjoyed SC but I got bored lol and I would like to include upper body exercises on my routines too thats why I changed
    Even the basic program for SC has upper body work. There that's almost all lower body, but still has a little upper work, but the one available online, and the other versions in the book include upper work. It's a good resource to have even if you want to try other program in the future.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

Thank you very much for your help 😁 i will follow your advice.

Just couldnt understand why is a low intensity cardio activity be better than a HIIT session? (Sorry if is a stupid question)