Thread: Elbow Pain

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)

Elbow Pain

For the last couple of weeks, my left elbow has hindered me from doing any type of curls (EZ bar, dumbell, barbell, hammer) and is now also starting to hurt towards the end of my sets of rows and lat pull downs. Wide grip chin ups are now also off the list because of this pain.

Before running off and seeing a physio, would anyone that has been affected by tennis elbow have any recommendations or therapies I may be able to try? Should I just lay off all upper body work for a week or two or would going light be the way to go?
    Cheers,
    Bill K

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BillPhoto View Post
    For the last couple of weeks, my left elbow has hindered me from doing any type of curls (EZ bar, dumbell, barbell, hammer) and is now also starting to hurt towards the end of my sets of rows and lat pull downs. Wide grip chin ups are now also off the list because of this pain.

Before running off and seeing a physio, would anyone that has been affected by tennis elbow have any recommendations or therapies I may be able to try? Should I just lay off all upper body work for a week or two or would going light be the way to go?
    Is it Tennis Elbow, Golfer's elbow or ligament damage? Those are questions for the physio. Outside of elbow could be Tennis elbow, inside could be Golfer's elbow, or they could indicate something worse. If it is too painful to use, then you should get professional help before trying our forum remedies. That said, if you want to self treat, there are some good videos put out by PTs online, search for your symptoms.
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

Trent2107 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I myself have had this problem with tendinitis in both elbows at different times throughout my adult life. I know this is going to sound crazy, but are you going to complete extension at the bottom of your biceps exercises? For example, on a standing barbell curl, are u actually flexing the triceps at the bottom? If not, please try doing so. More often than not, tendinitis shows up when using a limited range of motion on the bottom end of the curl. I started making sure I was going to full extension on ALL of my curling movements and noticed a drastic improvement nearly immediately. Hope this helps.

BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000) BillPhoto is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Trent2107 View Post
    I myself have had this problem with tendinitis in both elbows at different times throughout my adult life. I know this is going to sound crazy, but are you going to complete extension at the bottom of your biceps exercises? For example, on a standing barbell curl, are u actually flexing the triceps at the bottom? If not, please try doing so. More often than not, tendinitis shows up when using a limited range of motion on the bottom end of the curl. I started making sure I was going to full extension on ALL of my curling movements and noticed a drastic improvement nearly immediately. Hope this helps.
    Yes mate, I most certainly do go all the way down. Thanks for the tips though!
    Cheers,
    Bill K

All weights were lifted gallagnm's Avatar
    gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gallagnm has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    what helps a lot is looking at what makes your pain worse and what makes it better. Common and simple rule - what makes it worse and bothers it then do not do it. Now with that being said, tennis elbow occurs mostly when the wrist goes into extension in a repetitive (and non resting) fashion.

Lets take one movement and break it down - it hurts when you do a curl --> whats your posture like during the curl? ROM? How many times a week do you curl or perform some sort of arm flexion movement? Do you have an imbalance? OR you can look at the external factors --> any injury to the area before? Have you had any pain like this in the past? what does your day look like.

Honestly a good physio will guide you to the problem. What I have done in the past is just focus on proper movement and mobility while eliminating movements that I found bothered the injury. Hope this helps
    Personal Journal (ISSA-SSC, AFAA-CGFI, SPT)
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175995851