Thread: New - help

Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Red face New - help

I'm new to pretty much everything. I'm not interested in competing or anything like that, I just want to get a decent beach body!

I'm 31, 5'7" and 138. I've lost 10 lbs since February, mostly all due to diet change. The areas I store fat are the normal places - thighs (mostly), butt, and a little on back of my arms. It's not a lot - but it's definitely getting in the way of showing off muscle tone, which I also want to build a little more. I want to be around 130 and toned.

I've always been thin and trim and toned (abs, arms) but since hitting 30 it seems I now gain weight and fat where I never had to worry before!

I have read so much about diet, do this.. don't do this... eat carbs... don't eat carbs... I have no idea what to do.

I downloaded the Lose It! App and have a Fitbit.

Here's basically what I've been doing since Feb:

- breakfast: organic oatmeal, 1/2 banana, egg whites or plain Greek yogurt and berries

- Lunch: salad with protein (cottage cheese, egg, tuna or chicken)

- snack: apple with almond butter

- dinner: protein and veg (salmon & asparagus) or brown rice sushi

Exercise: elliptical or stair machine for 30-40 mins burning 200-350 calories, going almost every day

My total calorie intake is about 1200 a day. Everything I read says my maintenance calorie intake is about 1900, so im eating about 700 deficient. I don't feel hungry at all.

I've hit a plateau though and I don't know if it's normal or because something needs to be tweaked.

When I put my macros into Lose It (I track my food) I noticed it's mostly carbs. Is this okay or not? I don't eat crap carbs but I wonder if even healthy carbs are ok. I'm confused on the carb issue and how much is OK and what I should be aiming for for macros.

Thanks!

Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10) Angelemily is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well I just read the sticky Beginners Guide and hahaha - I guess I'm just your basic female doing all the things wrong!

I pretty much need to learn how to lift weights, I suppose. The machines at the gym look very intimidating (sometimes I hop on the leg-press - that's about all I can figure out) and it sounds silly but I don't know how to even lift weights or where to start (how many lbs, how much to do).

Does it count that the elliptical and stair machine has resistance and incline to them? I kinda thought I might be killing 2 birds with 1 stone that way. I (never) just run on a treadmill.

Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Partyrocking has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start w/ a barbell and a novice routine, e.g. Fierce 5, Strong Curves, Greyskull LP

If the barbell is too heavy for some exercises, look for a training bar or use the ez curl bar.

Make sure you're eating enough protein and fat.
    You can't help the hopeless.

Fat Girl Gets Fit: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=168690083&page=1

Best Gym lifts: 375/225/445
    Best Meet lifts: 358/220.7/441,
    Best Wilks=415 (Old Wilks)
    Best Dots=429.01

Thanks I'll look into this.

Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Paichka is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does your gym have an "intro to the weight room" course? I had a great gym in Charlottesville that did free classes for new members that walked through the basics of the weight room, from the obvious ("where do you guys keep the kettlebells") to the less obvious ("here's how you do a squat"). You may also want to consider hiring a trainer for one or two sessions just for form purposes. Gym trainers can be very hit or miss when it comes to hiring them for long-term training -- particularly with training women, a lot of them subscribe to bro-myths, but if you've never lifted before, having someone who can walk you through bar placement for squats, deadlifts, presses, what have you, may be helpful.

Another option along those same lines is to go to a few Crossfit classes, as many of them open with 15-20 minute sessions on technique (you can also get help during open gym sessions). I also recommend watching the videos on bb.com (stickied in the Workout Exercises subforum) for the major lifts. You can also record yourself doing some of the lifts and post the videos on here for critique of your form.

I second the recommendation for Strong Curves -- it's a great program.

Read the nutrition stickies as far as macros go. If you've hit a plateau (ie, you aren't losing weight), dollars to donuts you're eating more than you think you are. Do you weigh your food before you log it? I was shocked at the difference between what I THOUGHT I was eating and what I was actually eating, once I started weighing. 1200 also seems low to me for your stats, but I'll leave that to someone with more expertise.

Good luck!
    I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of bubble gum.

1 January 2017: 175.0
    1 June 2017: 154.4
    Goal Weight: 145.0 (by 1 August)

Week 1: 154.3 (6/2/17); Week 2: 154.4 (6/9/17); Week 3: 152.4 (6/16/17); Week 4: Friday 23th June; Week 5: Friday 30th June

AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10) AliGip is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I really love Strong Curves --- and honestly I don't have it all figured out myself, but I don't think you are eating enough to support yourself on a good exercise routine. I could be wrong, but it sounds rather low- unless you are underestimating. 1200 calories actually is very very little food.