chrismarshall3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Moving Gym into Bedroom with Carpet - Protection Advice Needed

Hi guys,
    I have had my gym (rack / barbells / bench) in my old home's spare bedroom. It has been fine on the carpet floor and for 4 years ive seen no real damage (tearing) to the carpet other than squashing it flat. We had a thin rubber mat and cheap flat carpet on top. We finally lifted it all up today and found that the black mat had left an outline which has stained the carpet.

We are moving to our new home and want to better protect the carpet this time. We haven't got the money for a shed to put it in just yet so we are thinking of some options and need your advice:

PLACING ON TOP OF THE CARPET:
    * 3/4inch plywood + rubber matting / cheap carpet on top
    or
    * Polytuf 50x50 interlocking foam squares
    or
    * A thin rug / absorbing carpet with an underlay

Will the plywood damage the carpet (tearing or staining)?
    Would love to know if you have done this before.

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000)
    My home gym is in my bedroom and I went with a standard 3/4" plywood platform for simplicity. I bought a new scrap of 1/2" carpet padding from the local carpet store (8'x9' for $5) and caught a sale at Tractor Supply for a 4'x6'x1/2" rubber stall mat ($19). The rubber mat was cut down to 45"x26" and screwed to the area under my weight bench, while the rest of the board was covered in carpet padding to save weight and $$$$.

I fastened 1/2" plywood squares to the plywood where the pullup bar and weight bench feet would rest (so they'd have a solid footing). Household Berber carpet from HD was installed over the top of everything for looks, and 16ga sheet metal angle was bent up at 35 degrees, covered in strips of poly foam and marine grade vinyl, and then fastened around the edges for a nice, classy, decorative/finishing touch. And people call me insensitive.

You can expect the carpet in your bedroom to flatten, but that is the only thing I've noticed after several years. If you look closely in my first pic (with the extension strips added to the board), I did have a simple thin (cheap) indoor/outdoor type carpet glued to the plywood at first, but it was completely useless. Solid rubber matting is what I suggest using, whether you cover over the top with carpet or not. Keep in mind the plywood will be heavy with 1/2" or thicker rubber matting fastened to the top, especially if you use a full 8' sheet of plywood. I only used 6' so the other 2' of plywood could be used to support my dumbbell rack. Just my 2 cents....

-Andy
    Attached Images
    ***Everybody pities the weak....but jealousy, you have to earn!***

Cancer free since 2006, but fighting the battle daily

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    The best option would be to remove the carpet first, if that's not an option, new plywood, if laid correctly should not mark/damage the carpet, but inevitably it will flatten the carpet pile.

Depending on your sub floor, I'd start with 3/4 plywood, then a rubber top layer, stall mats are the cheapest, but they can smell strongly, if it were me I'd either go with rolled rubber, or interlocking solid rubber gym mats, but avoid any foam based mat, rubber is the way to go.

Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'd start by covering the carpet with some plastic sheeting to block any dirt/dust that might fall through the seams of the plywood or whatever and leave an outline. When you pull it all up the carpet should still look pristine.

There is self adhesive carpet protector but it can only stay on for a few months or it might leave a residue. With regular plastic sheeting you can sometimes tuck it under the baseboard to get full coverage, or leave it oversized to run up the wall a little, push plywood tight against the wall, and fold the plastic down over. The challenge is sealing up around doorways and closets.

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    how long are you planning on using the bedroom before moving it to a shed? if you don't think that will be for some time you might consider removing the carpet and rolling it up so that you can replace it later when you get the room back
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Domicron View Post
    how long are you planning on using the bedroom before moving it to a shed? if you don't think that will be for some time you might consider removing the carpet and rolling it up so that you can replace it later when you get the room back
    This.
    Replacing/updating carpet, especially one small room, is not every expensive.
    The carpet is just a bad idea, so remove it.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Seatard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Reinstalling the same piece of carpet can be tricky, especially at any seams or doorways or odd corners. Probably not worth the cost or effort unless it's something special.

inside the box thinker CliveWarren's Avatar
    CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000) CliveWarren is a name known to all. (+5000)
    For the ultimate protection in the bedroom trust Trojan brand.
    Clive, you're a good guy. - AttyGuy

()---() York Barbell Club #62 (DD) ()---()
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #67 ▪█─────█▪

Originally Posted by Seatard View Post
    I'd start by covering the carpet with some plastic sheeting to block any dirt/dust that might fall through the seams of the plywood or whatever and leave an outline. When you pull it all up the carpet should still look pristine.

There is self adhesive carpet protector but it can only stay on for a few months or it might leave a residue. With regular plastic sheeting you can sometimes tuck it under the baseboard to get full coverage, or leave it oversized to run up the wall a little, push plywood tight against the wall, and fold the plastic down over. The challenge is sealing up around doorways and closets.
    Thanks for that, was wondering whether plywood would stain or mark. Do you know what sort of plastic would work?

Originally Posted by Lifts4longevity View Post
    My home gym is in my bedroom and I went with a standard 3/4" plywood platform for simplicity. I bought a new scrap of 1/2" carpet padding from the local carpet store (8'x9' for $5) and caught a sale at Tractor Supply for a 4'x6'x1/2" rubber stall mat ($19). The rubber mat was cut down to 45"x26" and screwed to the area under my weight bench, while the rest of the board was covered in carpet padding to save weight and $$$$.

I fastened 1/2" plywood squares to the plywood where the pullup bar and weight bench feet would rest (so they'd have a solid footing). Household Berber carpet from HD was installed over the top of everything for looks, and 16ga sheet metal angle was bent up at 35 degrees, covered in strips of poly foam and marine grade vinyl, and then fastened around the edges for a nice, classy, decorative/finishing touch. And people call me insensitive.

You can expect the carpet in your bedroom to flatten, but that is the only thing I've noticed after several years. If you look closely in my first pic (with the extension strips added to the board), I did have a simple thin (cheap) indoor/outdoor type carpet glued to the plywood at first, but it was completely useless. Solid rubber matting is what I suggest using, whether you cover over the top with carpet or not. Keep in mind the plywood will be heavy with 1/2" or thicker rubber matting fastened to the top, especially if you use a full 8' sheet of plywood. I only used 6' so the other 2' of plywood could be used to support my dumbbell rack. Just my 2 cents....

-Andy
    Great thanks. Do you put anything under the timber?

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000) Lifts4longevity is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by chrismarshall3 View Post
    Great thanks. Do you put anything under the timber?
    You're welcome. And no, I didn't put anything underneath as the plywood won't stain the carpet. I did have to let the plywood dry out for a month before building it though. I'd estimate my finished platform to weight around 85lbs and I didn't even cover half of it with rubber matting, so you're planning to cover the entire sheet, be prepared for that platform to weigh a ton!

Make sure your floor can handle the weight too if it's not a slab house...this house was built in 1942 for the war, and I keep imagining myself breaking through the floor during a deadlift and ending up in the imaginary basement. YIKES!

-Andy
    ***Everybody pities the weak....but jealousy, you have to earn!***

Cancer free since 2006, but fighting the battle daily

Originally Posted by chrismarshall3 View Post
    Thanks for that, was wondering whether plywood would stain or mark. Do you know what sort of plastic would work?
    6 mil (thickness) polyethylene sheeting form home depot or wherever. 3 mil is cheaper and would work if you're careful not to tear it. "Painters" plastic will probably be too thin.

The plywood probably won't stain, but anything making it's way through the seams might. Some plastic will all but guarantee a clean carpet when you pull it all up in a few years, which is the goal.

I guess I'm assuming you want to protect the entire room, if it's just under a platform it won't really matter. There will be a clean(er) spot under it when its moved.
    Last edited by Seatard; 04-24-2017 at 08:26 PM.