Need Help? Customer Support 1-866-236-8417
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000) matrix563 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i prefer doing shrugs in my magnum perfect squat 400.

i saw this Hampton trap bar (don't know the model #) in person one time but i hate contour handles. i was going to buy some powerblocks that went to 130 but i didn't know they were contoured handles. the guy said he loved them. when the guy listed up some other powerblocks over a year later i went back and didn't know i had been there before till i got there. he had some new 130 lb powerblocks that were the same as i have now without the contour handle and he said he loved those. he said the contoured handles anything over 50 pounds he hated them. but he said he loved them right? i guess he forgot he told me that haha.

Hampton trap bar

now that i got this homemade shrug bar I'm going to put a slightly longer pipe in the back so i can squat with it. its a lil bit narrow as is. glad i never got that Hampton bar. this one was free .

whats funny is that wasn't the first homemade shrug bar I've found. I found this standard one made out of aluminum I gave to my friend. he painted it black. I think it looked better silver heh. pretty cheap for $5

goes great with the standard plate loaded floor gripper I got for free for him. he thought he'd never have one as the Gerard is pretty pricey lol
    Last edited by matrix563; 04-21-2017 at 11:29 PM.
    ▪█───────█▪ Equipment Crew #46 ▪█───────█▪
    ▪█───────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #21 ▪█───────█▪
    ()---() York Barbell Club #15 (B, RH,) ()---()
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #33 ||---||
    ▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #15 ▪[M]====[6]▪

~ 5th dimensional being ~

Registered User Deep-Voiced-One's Avatar
    Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by AttyGuy View Post
    DVO, weren't you thinking of selling yours? Are you happy with it?
    Atty, I was thinking of selling it a while back, I don't have too much of an issue with it as far as functionality is concerned (does everything you can possibly want out of it and then some and it's great being rackable), but the only main problem is that it takes up a lot of space.

My garage is not by any means spacious, but it fits for what needs to be done in it with the pieces I have in there. The dead-squat bar I keep in the small inside back porch when not in use, then walk it through the door frame and bring it to the garage, then switch the j-hooks to the front of the rack if I use it at the end of a workout (It's doable, but not very convenient after everything), I couldn't imagine doing farmers walks in the basement with this bar...be smashing into everything with it (That's what she said) lol.

Overall the bar is excellent, well thought out and constructed well...I'm semi-happy with it.

Pros: does everything you can possibly want, is rackable and can be loaded to massive weight.

Con: Takes up a real lot of space, so plan accordingly and make sure you have the space for peace of mind.
    Last edited by Deep-Voiced-One; 04-22-2017 at 06:11 AM.

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Deep-Voiced-One View Post
    Atty, I was thinking of selling it a while back, I don't have too much of an issue with it as far as functionality is concerned (does everything you can possibly want out of it and then some and it's great being rackable), but the only main problem is that it takes up a lot of space.

My garage is not by any means spacious, but it fits for what needs to be done in it with the pieces I have in there. The dead-squat bar I keep in the small inside back porch when not in use, then walk it through the door frame and bring it to the garage, then switch the j-hooks to the front of the rack if I use it at the end of a workout (It's doable, but not very convenient after everything), I couldn't imagine doing farmers walks in the basement with this bar...be smashing into everything with it (That's what she said) lol.

Overall the bar is excellent, well thought out and constructed well...I'm semi-happy with it.

Pros: does everything you can possibly want, is rackable and can be loaded to massive weight.

Con: Takes up a real lot of space, so plan accordingly and make sure you have the space for peace of mind.
    Have you used other trap bars? I really like the thought of the handles being at an slight angle rather than completely neutral like other trap bars.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) GeorgeK1ng has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I decided to make another poll for trap pieces this time, from the Strength Equipment Inc. site.

I assume the Trap Shrugger (No. 235) has the best versatility (Farmers walks) and most core involvement (Looks like a decent piece and I read a previous review on the boards about it).

The Trap Machine (No. 221) has adjustable arms and is done standing, but can't be used for farmers walks because it's a dedicated station piece.

Seated Trap Machine (No. 233) is similar to 221, but seated (but no core involvement).

My vote would probably be the Trap Shrugger, which would you choose out of the three and why?
    Originally Posted by BulkMore View Post
    I remember hearing that farm walks are the best exercise for trap development? Not sure if thats true.

You could also use heavy dumbbells for trap workout.
    What do you think, of hitting traps on the smith machine, behind your back... after all when you look yourself on the side , your traps goes behind you !

Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000) Deep-Voiced-One is just really nice. (+1000)
    Rlundregan, I messed around with a trapbar at a gym my friend went to one time (the bar was a neutral raised handle type and non-rackable), personally I like the lower flush, angled handles on the dead-squat bar way better because you get more variety and ROM depending on what movement you're doing.

The knurling on the dead-squat bar is sharp and grippy which isn't bad, to be honest rackable is way better to load the plates, step in and be ready to go, I think a non-rackable would be even less encouraging because loading the plates on and off of it would be a pain (kind of makes me want to get a third set of j-hooks just for when I set up the trapbar off the front).

I guess with a trapbar there's always a pro with a con on rackable and non-rackable versions respectively.

Which movement(s) were you looking to do specifically if you owned one? I could tell you from using it myself that in my opinion it rocks for farmers walks (kinda reminds you of carrying and balancing a frame around lol), trapbar deadlifts and rows...I never really did shrugs with it much, or pressing movements yet.

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    DVO, you've hit my concerns with your posts. I don't have a lot of spare room in my gym and I guard the free space jealously. I may still get the Dead-Squat bar still, but I am seriously considering the old school appeal of the Gerard XL.
    You need a rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Atty, if the Gerard XL is rackable and smaller dimensions, then that's probably the best choice.

If the dimensions are the same then it's apples to apples, the main things to consider:

Gerard XL: Old-school style, zinc coated, neutral grips (preference), holds a lot of weight, slightly less expensive.

Dead-Squat: Powder coated, angled grips (inner and outter grip angles, preference), holds more weight (but more expensive), perhaps weighs more at about 70 lbs (takes up more space).

Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Gerard XL trap bar

Gerard XL is 66.5" in length with 15" loadable sleeves. Diamond point-to-point is about 28". Handle to handle is approximately 24" on center. Handle length is 8"

I believe it weighs 45 lbs exactly

Hope that helps

BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BYOBB has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I like the "trap shrugger" or "rickshaw" or whatever it's called over the machines because you have more control over the movement. With the machines, I always struggled to find the right angle for the best contraction. I suggest trying seated shrugs with heavy dumbbells (if you've got them). Specifically, I use a shoulder press bench (so there's back support) and blocks on the ground so the dumbbells are lifted from a dead stop with each rep. The dumbbells give you a lot of freedom with grip width and angles, the blocks let you do every rep exactly the same, and the back support on the bench prevents you from rounding your back when the weight gets heavier. The video below is an example of what I'm talking about, except imagine letting the dumbbells rest on blocks at the bottom.

This is the opposite end of the spectrum compared to power shrugs done with a heavy barbell. Many people advocate the heavy power shrugs but I found that I couldn't control the movement well as the weights got heavy. The appropriate workout equipment forum advice would be to buy something like these row handles and use plates that rest on the ground at the bottom of your ROM. Of course, you'd also buy a hex bar just to be safe

http://www.blackwidowtg.com/Row_Hand...row-handle.htm

Attached Images

rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) rlundregan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Rlundregan, I messed around with a trapbar at a gym my friend went to one time (the bar was a neutral raised handle type and non-rackable), personally I like the lower flush, angled handles on the dead-squat bar way better because you get more variety and ROM depending on what movement you're doing.

The knurling on the dead-squat bar is sharp and grippy which isn't bad, to be honest rackable is way better to load the plates, step in and be ready to go, I think a non-rackable would be even less encouraging because loading the plates on and off of it would be a pain (kind of makes me want to get a third set of j-hooks just for when I set up the trapbar off the front).

I guess with a trapbar there's always a pro with a con on rackable and non-rackable versions respectively.

Which movement(s) were you looking to do specifically if you owned one? I could tell you from using it myself that in my opinion it rocks for farmers walks (kinda reminds you of carrying and balancing a frame around lol), trapbar deadlifts and rows...I never really did shrugs with it much, or pressing movements yet.
    Currently I do TBDL, RDL, and Farm Carries with my cheap CAP trap bar. Rackable is nice, but overrated for me personally--I don't do OHP or shrugs with it. I actually used to have the York trap bar with the kickstands, which is long enough to be laid across the safeties, but I never really used it in the rack. I got rid of it because it was big, heavy, and clunky.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #29 []---[]
    []---[] York Barbell Club #59 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #48 []---[]
    l l---l l Rogue Barbell Club #3 l l---l l
    []---[] Mech6 Crew #9 []---[]

AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AttyGuy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Nebamartinez View Post
    Gerard XL is 66.5" in length with 15" loadable sleeves. Diamond point-to-point is about 28". Handle to handle is approximately 24" on center. Handle length is 8"

I believe it weighs 45 lbs exactly

Hope that helps

So, in my quest for the "perfect" trap bar, I've hit an obstacle. The standard Gerard Bar is $239, plus $92 shipping, for a total of $331. The Gerard Bar XL is $349, plus shipping of $150, for a total of $499. What's the difference? 6" more loading space on either side, for a 6' long trap bar. At these prices, the Dead-Squat bar is competitive.
    You need a rack, a bench, and a 300-lb Olympic weight set. Now, what was your question?

My home gym: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1465291461&viewfull=1#post1465291461.

()---() York Barbell Club #1 (DD, RH, Kg) ()---() []---[] Equipment Crew #36 []---[] []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #51 []---[] [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #29 [M]===[6] ~~ 4 Horsemen ~~

Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nebamartinez is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Atty,

Of course the price has inflated since I purchased it geeez man that's expensive

In case you or someone else hasn't seen the Gerard pages:

Maybe I should go with a CAP Trap Bar. . .

irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) irongrandpa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I plan to get one of the Cap mega hex bars even though I've modified a regular hex bar into one that's rackable.
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #6 -!!!---!!!-

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #56 []---[]

()---() York Barbell Crew #56 ()---()

ACE Certified Personal Trainer

ll---ll Rogue Barbell Club #5 ll---ll

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #62

PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000) PriorMike is just really nice. (+1000)
    If I get this right; the Gerard XL trap bar is larger in dimensions all over, not just in sleeve length as opposed to the regular trap bar?

I looked on the John Wood website and didn't see the XL...
    "When you press, you train with Kono, Alexeyev, Starr, Grimek and Cyr. When you press, you train
    much more than the shoulders and arms. You train the soul of the sport of barbell exercise." - Rip

urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000) urbanlifter is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I had the CAP Mega and sold it, for just about as much as I paid a month later. For the price on Amazon it was unbeatable, but the quality issues were annoying and the width of the grips were uncomfortable for trap work. Barbell shrugs, db shrugs, and uprights rows and call it a day.
    Excuses are for people who need them, and limitations are for people who have them.

[]---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #77 []---[]
    --<//>-<\\>-- BWTG Cluster #6 --<//>-<\\>--
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #58 ▪█─────█▪

Atty, in my opinion I think you'd be better off with the Dead-Squat bar if the Gerard XL is just as massive and you really are set on getting a rackable trapbar, you can always sell it if the dimensions are out of your favor and with the weight the Dead-Squat bar holds you will never out grow it (Something all the gear hogs out there could ever ask for).

What type of lifting do you do these days?

Atty, in my opinion I think you'd be better off with the Dead-Squat bar if the Gerard XL is just as massive and you really are set on getting a rackable trapbar, you can always sell it if the dimensions are out of your favor and with the weight the Dead-Squat bar holds you will never out grow it (Something all the gear hogs out there could ever ask for).

What type of lifting do you do these days?
    I'm leaning towards Dead-Squat bar. I'm an old man and don't lift heavy, but I do like cool equipment. Especially if made in America. So, I'm probably going with it.

Candy blue powder coat is sweet...

ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000) ffrink is just really nice. (+1000)

Candy blue powder coat is sweet...
    Great color scheme there!!!
    ++++++++

"The strong take from the weak but the smart take from the strong." - Pete Carril's father

I agree.