TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Opinions on Viking's Bare Bones routine

The Upper/Lower Split

Upper 1/Lower 1/Off/Upper 2/Lower 2/Off/Off and repeat...

Upper Day 1
    Bench Press - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Barbell Row - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Military Press - 3 sets - 25 reps
    Wide-grip Pulldowns or Pullups - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Incline DB Press - 3 sets - 30 reps
    One-arm Cable or DB Rows - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Straight-arm Pulldowns/Facepulls - 3 supersets - 30 reps each

Lower Day 1
    Back Squat - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Deadlift - 2 sets - 12 reps
    or
    Romanian DL - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Hack Squat - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Lying Leg Curls - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Single-leg Leg Press - 3 sets - 35 reps
    Abs/Calves Superset - 3 sets each - 40 reps each

Upper Day 2
    Bench Press - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Barbell Row - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Military Press - 3 sets - 25 reps
    Wide-grip Pulldowns or Pullups - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Lateral Raises/Barbell Shrugs - 3 supersets - 30 reps each
    Barbell Curl/Skullcrushers - 3 supersets - 30 reps each
    Overhead Cable Extensions/Cable Hammer Curls - 3 supersets - 35 reps each

Lower Day 2
    Back Squat - 4 sets - 32 reps
    Romanian DL - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Leg Press - 3 sets - 30 reps
    Leg Extensions/Leg Curls - 3 supersets - 35 reps each
    Abs/Calves Superset - 3 sets each - 40 reps each

Too much volume or just right?
    If I'm doing BB rows is it necessary to another DB or cable rows on the same day?

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Viking's programs tend to be slightly higher volume than other comparable programs, like Fierce 5. Not outrageous, though. It depends a bit on how much volume you're used to, and how much you need to progress. I wouldn't expect the same volume to be optimal for everybody.

My least favorite aspect of this program are the rep ranges for the big compound lifts. Of course you can make progress with sets around 8 reps, but I think it can be beneficial to at least partly run the big compounds at lower reps and higher weights, like the typical 3x5.

But overall, I think Viking's programs are excellent. I personally prefer his exercise selection over pretty much anything else. For example, I like that he has the core lifts twice a week, where other programs often use different variations, like back squats once and front squats once.

Yes, doing multiple rows on upper day is a good thing. You want your back work to be balanced with all the presses. Also, there are about 15 (based on Wikipedia...) different muscles in your back, and you can't expect to hit all of them sufficiently with one or two exercises.

TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50) TexDad will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thanks RK42. I was wondering about the absence of front squats. So you wouldn't recommend subbing in front squats on one of those lower body days?

Originally Posted by RK42 View Post
    Viking's programs tend to be slightly higher volume than other comparable programs, like Fierce 5. Not outrageous, though. It depends a bit on how much volume you're used to, and how much you need to progress. I wouldn't expect the same volume to be optimal for everybody.

My least favorite aspect of this program are the rep ranges for the big compound lifts. Of course you can make progress with sets around 8 reps, but I think it can be beneficial to at least partly run the big compounds at lower reps and higher weights, like the typical 3x5.

But overall, I think Viking's programs are excellent. I personally prefer his exercise selection over pretty much anything else. For example, I like that he has the core lifts twice a week, where other programs often use different variations, like back squats once and front squats once.

Yes, doing multiple rows on upper day is a good thing. You want your back work to be balanced with all the presses. Also, there are about 15 (based on Wikipedia...) different muscles in your back, and you can't expect to hit all of them sufficiently with one or two exercises.

jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000) jt88 is just really nice. (+1000)
    You can sub front squats on day 2 if you wish. Fronts followed by rdls usually leave my legs on fire. A good feeling.

RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RK42 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TexDad View Post
    I was wondering about the absence of front squats. So you wouldn't recommend subbing in front squats on one of those lower body days?
    That leads to one of the basic questions in training programs: Do you get better results by repeating the core lifts frequently, or by having more variation? The way I look at it, if there was a simple and clear answer, everybody would be using the same approach. And that's clearly not the case. There's everything from crazy "squat every day" programs to programs where you squat only once a week. And I'm sure that people have seen success with all of them.

Intuitively, aside from probably many other factors, I think it might depend on where you stand in your lifting progress. If you're at a modest level, the "squat moar to squat moar" approach makes sense to me. You get better at something by practicing it frequently. On the other hand, an advance lifter who is close to their limit might profit from more variation in their lifts, because they might have exhausted the progress they can make by just repeating the same lift.

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    looks very bare bones. Like any routine, will work for a period of time. Then you will have to switch, as this program seem very repetitive.

Also, that naming thing, fkn "Viking", yeah. Like "Mad Cow" or "Fierce 5". It is only as viking's or fierce as you make it. Honest effort can't be put on paper.