Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Paying a personal trainer, worth it?

So getting into gym work and not trying to be a know it all I paid a guy $40 to help me with form. The guy is a skinny dude with low fat and very defined. He is small and weaker than me tho.

I watch/study thrall videos and believe in them cos they make sense and thrall is strong.

I wanted the trainer to check my form on deadlift and squat. Done what I can to copy thrall from YT.

The trainer just wanted to talk about all over body work outs and cardio. Fuk that chit, I want to just move the biggest weights I can.

Am I being too much of a dick or should I cut this aesthetic twink loose?

Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Lol @ paying for a PT
    Mod Pegged crew

theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000) theoxinthebox is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You don't need one when you have the Misc braw...
    • Dad Crew •
    ** Misc Horses Head Crew **

Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50) Triggernought will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Samevans7 View Post
    Lol @ paying for a PT
    Yeah well I am rural there are no instructors to show us chit, how else do you learn correct form azzhole.

fuaarkbrah has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Triggernought View Post
    Yeah well I am rural there are no instructors to show us chit, how else do you learn correct form azzhole.
    Video yourself lifting then post it here for feedback.

Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Nosmail is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    you could be doing the motion in a way that looks correct but not have the best muscle recruitment pattern. you learn correct form through experience of trying to recruit desired muscles

PT is there to encourage you unless he is physically touching the muscles to know if they are firing

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    He doesn't sound like the right trainer for you ..I'd cut him loose

If you want to work on form for lifting find a good, recommended trainer who can do that

Or you can post videos to here, and the lifters will give you pointers, but nothing IMO works as well as personal feedback and correction and repetition

Alan Thrall is good, I prefer Rippetoe for videos tbh

Find the right one and have your own goals and yes it can be worth it...mine helps me maintain my motivation and trains me towards specific goals, currently Tough Mudder. Went to see him 3 years ago with different goals and never stopped

Will learn how to post videos, my deadlift max is 140kg, three plates each side of Olympic bar plus collars.

ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You made the mistake everyone makes when hiring a trainer, you assumed we are all equal in our knowledge and expertise. If you want to get strong as fuark and lift heavy iron, request a trainer that has a background in that (such as powerlifting or strongman). If they dont have a trainer with that expertise then find a gym that does. Most clients have no idea what they actually want so a trainer normally has to guide them toward a goal so you have to be upfront and clear if you already have one in mind. I'll probabally get hate for this one but if you have one by you, most crossfit gyms have open gym times or private training where you would be better off to learn barbell strength movements then most commercial gyms.

Thanks all, will search for Rippetoe.

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by theoxinthebox View Post
    You don't need one when you have the Misc braw...
    I hope you're being sarcastic.

OP: a good PT is worth it. Yours is not good. You're unlikely to find a good trainer at a mainstream gym. Find a black iron gym.

nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nzgs is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    No one should pay for a trainer unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know from the internet and the library.

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nzgs View Post
    No one should pay for a trainer unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know from the internet and the library.
    Seriously?

What if you enjoy that personal feedback and the money is not an issue?

I could clean my house but prefer having someone else do it. Why shouldn't someone use their own money to do something they enjoy and benefit from?

ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50) ckperformance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    No one should pay for a mechanic unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know on fixing a car from the internet and the library.

No one should pay for a hair stylist unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know on cutting your hair from the internet and the library.

No one should pay for a plumber unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know on plumbing from the internet and the library.

No one should pay for food unless they have physical or mental disabilities. If you have neither then you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know on gardening and farming from the internet and the library.

I can respect if you dont see the value in training, many however do for various reasons. But understand you can make that statement about alot of things. It is all a matter of what that person thinks is worth their money.

KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    you can easily teach yourself everything you need to know from the internet and the library.
    Of course. This is why when we visit the mall we see that almost everyone is jacked.

Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000) Samevans7 is just really nice. (+1000)
    dude youre on bodybuilding.com

theres a million articles on programmes and what exercises you should do. they also provide videos on how to perform each exercise.

i'd only get a PT for motivation, but even then just peak to some zyzz videos fuark
    Mod Pegged crew

No program or article can tell you yr next rep is the last rep in yr life cos yr knee/back/shoulder just got destroyed because chit form.

I was doing my max bench press with flared elbows until someone by luck caught me and showed me proper form.

Another thing people dont realize is most people have terrible spacial awareness. Even if you record what you are doing and see what you are doing wrong, if you cant properly gauge where your body is in physical space in the first place, how can you make an adjustment?

janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) janglingjack has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    PTs are good for ensuring you're lifting with maximum intensity at all times. It's easy to slack off when lifting on your own
    *eggs crew*
    *raiders crew*

sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000) sillydawg is just really nice. (+1000)
    So getting into gym work and not trying to be a know it all I paid a guy $40 to help me with form. The guy is a skinny dude with low fat and very defined. He is small and weaker than me tho.

I watch/study thrall videos and believe in them cos they make sense and thrall is strong.

I wanted the trainer to check my form on deadlift and squat. Done what I can to copy thrall from YT.

The trainer just wanted to talk about all over body work outs and cardio. Fuk that chit, I want to just move the biggest weights I can.

Am I being too much of a dick or should I cut this aesthetic twink loose?
    lifting is kinda self explanatory tbh. No real need to pay someone smaller than you either, it's Broscience 101. Watch George Leeman's video's on youtube for legitimate powerlifting information. I believe he either holds a some power-lifting records currently or has broken them in the past.

Gyms are full of people doing it all on their own. This forum, too. Look around you at the gym and assess how well they're doing on their own. Look around this forum and see how few have avis - is it because their physiques are too good to show?

A few do well on their own. The vast majority don't. But again, you need someone competent to help you, and you're unlikely to find that at a mainstream gym.

Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000) Cranz is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Most personal trainers give **** advice. Drop him and use the workout/nutrition section.

Some PT's are worth paying for, but it's not easy to find these at most commercial gyms. I mean if money isn't a problem, paying a good PT who knows about proper programming,big3,etc can save you a lot of time/effort.

If you want to move a lot of weight without caring about looks then run SS.
    Any post I make should not be taken seriously.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    Of course. This is why when we visit the mall we see that almost everyone is jacked.
    Not knowing how to lift is not the reason people look messed up. Motivation and effort tend to be the bigger issue.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by ckperformance View Post
    You made the mistake everyone makes when hiring a trainer, you assumed we are all equal in our knowledge and expertise. If you want to get strong as fuark and lift heavy iron, request a trainer that has a background in that (such as powerlifting or strongman). If they dont have a trainer with that expertise then find a gym that does. Most clients have no idea what they actually want so a trainer normally has to guide them toward a goal so you have to be upfront and clear if you already have one in mind. I'll probabally get hate for this one but if you have one by you, most crossfit gyms have open gym times or private training where you would be better off to learn barbell strength movements then most commercial gyms.
    I was about to post something similar. Just looking around the gym I see that trainers are completely different. And like you said, your goal is the most important part because even a great trainer can suck if you don't give him your goal or you just go with the goals he has set without saying "no, that's not what I'm looking for."
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

Registered User BecomingSmaller's Avatar
    BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BecomingSmaller is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I hired a PT that power lifts at national level, so I'm quite confident in the advice she is giving, I wouldn't be quite as confident with one of the other PTs from what I see him having his clients do regularly in the gym.
    I never saw a wild thing
    sorry for itself.
    A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough
    without ever having felt sorry for itself.

54 year old male 6'4
    Jan 2016: 315#, May 2017: 185# 15%
    Next goal: 185# 12%
    #250kchallenge2018

daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) daggles02 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    have any mates that have been lifting for a while op? thats how i got started
    Vedgimite every day crew

Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    Not knowing how to lift is not the reason people look messed up. Motivation and effort tend to be the bigger issue.
    I had a guy once who when I asked him what he'd had for breakfast, replied,

"A couple of VBs."

He genuinely thought that was normal.

Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brackneyc has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by KyleAaron View Post
    I had a guy once who when I asked him what he'd had for breakfast, replied,

"A couple of VBs."

He genuinely thought that was normal.
    He probably saw the commercial on tv that claims V8 has all the daily vitamins you need. He drank two. He's good to go.

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have paid for "coaching", earlier this winter I used a guy who had extensive experience in body building and strength training to help fix my squat.... which is a work in progress, this guy was the most detailed I have worked with to date. Also paid for coaching in an olympic lifting club in the summer months, invaluable.

jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) jeffaus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Brackneyc View Post
    He probably saw the commercial on tv that claims V8 has all the daily vitamins you need. He drank two. He's good to go.
    Kyle was talking about VB, not not V8's Brack. VB is short for Victoria Bitter which is a beer brand in Aus.
    pick it up and put it down