deandavis00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Bodyfat Calculations

Hi all,

I'm looking to get some thoughts from you guys and gals.

I recently posted in the BF% estimate thread and was told my BF% was probably around 20%. However, I wasn't entirely confident in that so I decided to get some caliper measurements done.

I tried six different BF caliper calculation methods, most of which were consistent around 15% +/- 1%. However, two of them were wildly off (Parrrillo & Durnin methods).

I was wondering if you guys/gals had any insight as to which BF% calculation method do you think is most accurate? I've also attached a photo of the calculations below, as well as photos of myself as reference to get your guys' thoughts.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to figure out based on my BF% if I should continue to bulk or cut. I'm currently 6'0, 164lbs.

Thanks!!
    DD
    Attached Images

Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Tuck91 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by deandavis00 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm looking to get some thoughts from you guys and gals.

I recently posted in the BF% estimate thread and was told my BF% was probably around 20%. However, I wasn't entirely confident in that so I decided to get some caliper measurements done.

I tried six different BF caliper calculation methods, most of which were consistent around 15% +/- 1%. However, two of them were wildly off (Parrrillo & Durnin methods).

I was wondering if you guys/gals had any insight as to which BF% calculation method do you think is most accurate? I've also attached a photo of the calculations below, as well as photos of myself as reference to get your guys' thoughts.

At the end of the day, I'm trying to figure out based on my BF% if I should continue to bulk or cut. I'm currently 6'0, 164lbs.

Thanks!!
    DD
    Your 19- 20% BF. calipers & machines are not always always accurate.

If I were you I would lift hard & still remain in a small caloric deficit to start

Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Dorich has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Quality calipers (with proper use) are great for tracking progress, watching skin-folds go down slowly but surely.

In terms of calculation methods, I highly recommend the Durnin-Womersley method which I discovered quite recently.

IMO it will either be fairly accurate or slightly overestimate, in the vast majority of cases.

Jackson-Pollock will underestimate most of the time.
    "Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord." (Hebrews 12:14)

"Tolerance only for those who agree with you is no tolerance at all." ― Ray A. Davis

"That which drives me in life is my faith, and what I desire most is peace for mankind." ― C. Jones

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    At the end of the day, bf% is just a number, no need to stress over it.

At your stats, you need to get on a proper routine and eat around maintenance and progress on your lifts. You don't have enough muscle mass to support cutting at this point.

Thanks everyone!

Seems to be a bit of conflicting information here in terms of what the next best step is. But most people agreeing at least that the Parillo & Durnin methods are probably most accurate. This would put me around 19-20%

One thing I'd love to get your guys and gals thoughts are, based on this BF%, my stats (6'0, 164lbs) and the photos above, would you recommend bulking or cutting?

Thanks!!

dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dipatel13 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Thanks everyone!

Seems to be a bit of conflicting information here in terms of what the next best step is. But most people agreeing at least that the Parillo & Durnin methods are probably most accurate. This would put me around 19-20%

One thing I'd love to get your guys and gals thoughts are, based on this BF%, my stats (6'0, 164lbs) and the photos above, would you recommend bulking or cutting?

Thanks!!
    see post #4

Originally Posted by dipatel13 View Post
    see post #4
    Thanks, but your reply says to eat at maintenance. This is what I've been doing for the past year or so and have seen no change whatsoever.

My understanding is that you need to bulk to gain muscle, or cut to lose fat.

What will eating at maintenance accomplish? Further, how can I gain muscle/progress with my lifts if I only eat at maintenance? It seems a bit contradictory.

Thanks, but your reply says to eat at maintenance. This is what I've been doing for the past year or so and have seen no change whatsoever.

My understanding is that you need to bulk to gain muscle, or cut to lose fat.

What will eating at maintenance accomplish? Further, how can I gain muscle/progress with my lifts if I only eat at maintenance? It seems a bit contradictory.
    What lifting program are you following? It's possible to recomp(gain muscle and lose fat) even more so if you still a beginner. You can then slightly bump calories if your lifts stall.

You could progress on your lifts at maintenance or while in a deficit. Might be a little slower, but still possible.

If you don't want to do that, slow bulk and gain only 1-2lbs per month. Either way, you shouldn't cut as you're already at low enough weight for your height.

RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) RH709 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I wrote this for a football website but it explains the precision of each testing method.
    http://in-thinair.com/2016/05/03/the...at-percentage/

CLIFFS:
    Calipers and/or trained eye is the way to go.
    The accuracy gained from the other methods is neither time or cost effective for the extra precision.

Also, if that is the way you look at 6' and 160 lbs then screw bodyfat percentage and get strong.
    Get on a proven beginner routine and lift your ass off. After a year, transfer to an intermediate routine or switch to something like 70's Big LP.
    Let's worry about this bodyfat thing again after 3 to 5 years of consistent training a diet.

You can look at my bodyspace pictures to see where I started 4 years ago. In the beginning, the only way I got better was to say **** it to the aesthetics for 2 years and just get as strong as I could.
    Last edited by RH709; 03-28-2017 at 11:00 AM.
    *Misc Mechanical Engineer Crew*
    *Vasectomy crew*
    *Denver Broncos crew*
    *Kawasaki Motorcycle crew*