pjt494 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Newbie needs advice

Hey whays up i am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I am 6'2 315 and if i had to guess about 35 percent body fat. I was laid up for 6 months with double knee surgery and finally back up and moving. I was looking at doing the keto diet but its little confusing to me. I was wondering what my food intake should be at 315lbs. I am not aure if its off your total body weight or lean mass. Any help is greatly appreciated.

acbann is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pjt494 View Post
    Hey whays up i am new to this forum and looking for some advice. I am 6'2 315 and if i had to guess about 35 percent body fat. I was laid up for 6 months with double knee surgery and finally back up and moving. I was looking at doing the keto diet but its little confusing to me. I was wondering what my food intake should be at 315lbs. I am not aure if its off your total body weight or lean mass. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I can only speak from my own experience on keto, I've been following this WOE since Dec. 26th. I am just now getting fat adapted where I am seeing weekly results as a fat burner. I think everybody will have a different experience with keto, as I've come across some of my own issues that others haven't. Trust no food on keto in the beginning, track your macros to a T daily. If your goal is to lose weight, I personally recommend a 500 calorie deficit. Use the MyFitnessPal app, available online/android/iphone, or any other app you find suitable for tracking macros. Once you input your weight it will give you your macros, but you'll want to adjust those to consume 70% fat, 25% protein and 5% carbs.

When you first start keto you may struggle a bit trying to consume that much fat, but get yourself some coconut oil, MCT oil. MCT will definitely help get you kick started, I only put one tablespoon in my coffee a day, along with heavy cream, coconut oil and butter and a tsp of flax oil, and blend it into a bulletproof coffee. Be careful with MCT when you start and don't over consume it, it may upset your stomach a bit and have you running to the toilet. I recommend counting total carbs until fat adapted, then you can go with net carbs. I've gone as high as 50gr in a day and stayed in ketosis. Keto flu is real, not everybody experiences it, but I had it for about 10 days, upset stomach, mild headaches and some brain fog. But when you get through the other side of it, results are worth it!

As far as fitness, I lift 3 times a week, and do fasted cardio 2 days a week. Some sort of exercise will definitely help, and get your metabolism going. Where you've had surgery I'm sure you'll want something low impact. If you check youtube there are a lot of great channels, Jason Wittrock who is a bodybuilding.com keto athlete has tons of great info on his channel. If you go to reddit, there is a subreddit on keto there that has tons of people sharing success stories and also lots of experienced keto folks sharing awesome info. Also some great folks here on this forum as well.

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by pjt494 View Post
    I was wondering what my food intake should be at 315lbs. I am not aure if its off your total body weight or lean mass. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    I say, for now, you can simply cut out all carbs. Like today, or tomorrow starting from your first meal of the day. It is as easy as that. Whatever you eat daily, minus all the carbs. For at least next few days you will be too busy adapting to keto, and I honestly don't see a point making things any more painful. It can be brutal, first week, but from then on it will the whole new world. You will lose a ton of weight from just switching to keto. And once you feel comfortable, you can ask your next question, like what are my macros, calorific deficit etc.

pjt494 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks alot man. Started this morning of no carbs