Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
    BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

17.11.16 - Run

Run 4 miles in 30.5 min
    7:38/mile

my HIIT training is helping me run faster. cardiovascular health +1
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.
    Practitioner of Stoic philosophy.
    Hope to FI/RE (Financial Independence / Retire Early) by 2030.

I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.

Gyno Surgery Log - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165978531

BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BipolarBrah is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

17.11.17 - WL, lower

with a friend

Deadlifts
    (135x5)x4
    185x5
    225x5
    255x4
    275x3
    295x3+/- heaviest I've gone with deadlifts for years
    225x8+
    135x5

Squats back
    135x5
    185x5
    205x5+
    225x5+/-
    245x5+/- crept on my toes, but an okay set
    135x5
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Metalmank is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

subbed.
    USN Vet, Student, Loser.

Goals

12-15% BF -Goal met 5/26/2017 at around 10-13%
    1000LB Club - Goal met 11/9/2017. S/B/D 405lb/305lb/425lb 1135 total
    Look like I lift.

Me logging my pathetic lifts. - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174152951&p=1506677001#post1506677001

Originally Posted by Metalmank View Post

subbed.
    thanks man,

hope you get something out of it
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LPD11 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    In on this man, congrats on the marathon. Similar goals to you finished a marathon couple years ago and then past couple years got into weight lifting, now want to combine the two. Any advice on how you separate your runs with training lower body? Do you do any cross-training on off days/yoga? Any trouble with injuries?
    My Fierce 5 U/L Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173961421

18.09.10 update

I logged in to bodybuilding.com to purchase whey protein and wandered my way back into the forums.

By the end of June 2018 I was performing quite well in the gym. At this point I had nearly two years of consistent programing, whereby diversity of exercises and total volume was being reduced enabling me to focus more effort into compound movements. Diet has been overall favorable for strength. One and one-half years of caloric surplace with nine months of creatine supplementation were likely strong determinants. In addition to this strength, I maintained cardiovascular health through jogging, sprints, and cycling. Much focus has also gone into joint health, posture, and flexibility. Numbers on lifts were as follows:
    Bench ~295 lbs
    Back Squat ~285
    Front Squat ~205
    Deadlift ~395

Bench press estimated one rep max as a function of time. Data from 67 bench press session over the course of 22 months (Nov 2016 - Sept 2018).

You don't have to be a scientist to read this data: a serious problem occurred at month 20. In early July I made a trip to Northern Europe for work. I didn't get much sleep due to jet lag, stress, and the constant light Northern latitudes receive during summer months. But upon my return I felt generally well-rested-I ate a lot and spent a lot of time relaxing in saunas. I was eager to be back hitting numbers in the gym. But I could barely put up 225. In fact, within two weeks I was struggling to keep 200 lbs over my chest. My entire left upper body had inexplicably weakened. From the upper neck to the lower back, and everything in between (including left arm, hand, and shoulder). At the worst I could barely curl 20 lbs. In addition to weakness, I experienced constant numbing and tingling. Strangely no pain whatsoever. X-Ray imaging suggested no disc bulging or herniation. Googling your symptoms is never a good idea, which scared me pissless I was experiencing early onset MS. I decided to go to the ER and a rouge GP placed me on a short course of prednisone and muscle relaxers. I humored the prescription but it had no effect. I think it may have been an impinged nerve in the cervical area. I've had many issues with my upper spine since an injury in college. What the heck happened? I have a guess. This injury ALWAYS correlates with my start up of the classical exercise, STANDING BARBELL MILITARY PRESS. I had just started doing these a month earlier. This is at least the fifth time both a neck injury and standing barbell military presses co-occured. Lesson learned. Continuing my neck and back posture exercises has helped immensely. However, I fear a re-occurance. I still lift heavy. I still occasionally skip warm-ups. I'm aging. I'm beginning to assign greater value to longevity and functionality.

Dear diary,

lol.

But seriously, I want to share other ongoings in my life. I worked through two-and-a-half years in a toxic work situation. It was actually a great work environment but my boss was a tyrannical careerist without any goddamned sense of scientific rationality or ethics. Anyone who has gone through graduate studies or knows someone who has will understand this is a sad, but common occurrence. I suffered from staggering cognitive dissonance which placed me into deep depression. I tried everything to overcome it. I performed radical body modifications (piercings, haircuts). I binged role playing video games upwards to 20 hours a day. I drank heavily and developed a near full-blown addiction to alcohol. Nothing worked. So I left. I'm now working with a scientist whom I have immense respect for and greatly enjoy my research once again. This past summer has been sort of a cleanse trying to recover from burnout. I went from working 60-90 hour work weeks to 20-40 hours/week. I began cooking for fun, reading books off the back-burner, and taking short vacations. I unexpectedly met and started dating the sweetest most beautiful girl who has brought balance to my life. Now the new semester has begun and I'm ready to resume my dissertation work while giving due diligence to repairing relationships with friends and family.

And who knows, maybe I'll start logging my workouts again?
    Last edited by BipolarBrah; 09-10-2018 at 11:18 AM. Reason: clarity
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Originally Posted by LPD11 View Post
    In on this man, congrats on the marathon. Similar goals to you finished a marathon couple years ago and then past couple years got into weight lifting, now want to combine the two. Any advice on how you separate your runs with training lower body? Do you do any cross-training on off days/yoga? Any trouble with injuries?
    Sorry for the delayed response. Training for a marathon will take away from your weightlifting. There is no way around this. While running's impact on upper body lifts are more subtle, lower body can take huge hits. Early marathon training I continued to train legs once every week but lowered the volume (both reps and sets). Usually fitting this workout in between a rest day and maybe a short recovery run. DO NOT weight train before or after (or on the day of) a long run. As marathon training progressed I lowered lower workout frequency to once every two weeks. The few weeks leading up to the marathon I did not do lower body. Don't expect to do lowerbody for a few weeks after the marathon either.

Another note, keep up with the yoga and flexibility. It will help the return back to weightlifting and keep the DOMs from being bad. Running often makes one less flexible.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

18.09.11 - Bench

Bench Press
    185x5
    205x5
    (225x5)x4 +/-
    (155x6)x3

Barbell Row
    135x8
    165x8
    185x6+/-
    (115x10)x3

Barbell Shrug
    135x8
    155x8
    185x8
    205x8
    205x10
    205x1 - first rep up tweaked a nerve in my right neck. this is probably the third/fourth times that barbell shrugging has done this to me. It's always an acute injury too, i.e. it doesn't set in after a set. this left me with a stiff neck for 24 hours. very frustrating
    (135x8)x2
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

18.09 Update (September 2018 Bench Sessions)

18.09.18 (230x4)x4-
    18.09.28 (225x4)x4+, 225x5+/-
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

18.10 Update (October 2018)

Sick with the flu at the beginning of the month, did not lift weights for a week.

I've started doing yoga with my girlfriend. It's killer. I'd like to do it more often but would need to join a yoga gym and money is tight right now.

I'm on a bit of an MMO binge. My playing habits resemble classic addiction. I spent a month researching reputable therapists and will begin CBT in late November.

Sketched up a new routine:
    Weightlifting x3, Cardio x3, Yoga x2. I.E. Have three weight lift sessions, three cardio sessions, and two yoga sessions in any order then repeat. Weightlifting will be built around a 5/3/1 cycle for benchpress to achieve my long term goal of benching 315.

Weightlifting
    1) Bench 5/3/1, Barbell Row, Neck/Shoulders (optional), Arms (optional)
    2) Deadlift, Front Squat, Calves (optional)
    3) Pullups, Dips, Pushups/One-Arm Pullup Training, Abs (optional)

Cardio
    1) 30 min HIIT Bike
    2) 30 min HIIT Hill Sprints (or bike during winter)
    3) 60 min long (run, bike, or elliptical)

Yoga
    two sessions of one hour yoga, or any stretch/positioning that produces similar effects
    Last edited by BipolarBrah; 11-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 1; 18.10.29-18.11.20

+4 HIIT, + 1 long run + 1 short run
    +5 yoga

Week 3's performance on benchpress is quite disappointing. However my rowing made up for it. I'm feeling pretty good about numbers on deadlift and front squat. But I would like to move slow on these and keep a good few reps away from failure. For deadlifts, I'm going to stay at the same weight/reps until the whole set can be done with overhand grip (instead of alternated grip). Front squats are feeling good. Interestingly, pullup/dip on week 3 destroyed week 1 performance. I've never found bodyweight exercises to scale linearly so this isn't surprising.

Small changes for next month:
    -Notice the inverse relationship between last bench set 1rm% and number of big+boring sets (i.e. I did 3 sets for a 75% lift and 5 sets for a 60% set). This is likely due to glycogen depletion. I'm going to try scaling the Big+Boring reps. Week 1: (Nx6)x5, Week 2: (Nx8x5), Week 3: (Nx10x5)
    -Incorporate one-armed pullup training on calisthenic days
    -Ease up on deadlift weight to focus on form and grip
    -I'm planning to join a new gym that will give me access to yoga classes and much nicer facilities. Reflect/log how the yoga sessions feel and what I learn . Begin using sauna/steamroom. More on this with next month's update.

I deloaded over Thanksgiving break:
    18.11.23 weightlifting session, with emphasis on arms
    18.11.24 3 mile run, 15 min HIIT hill sprints

I ate too many sweets, and despite being in a calorie surplus don't feel physically rested. My biceps are still sore to the touch from doing arms on the 23rd, delaying the start of cycle two.
    Last edited by BipolarBrah; 11-26-2018 at 03:40 PM.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 2; 18.11.28-18.12.19

+4 yoga sessions (3 power/1 align)
    +2 HIIT on bike
    +3 cardio sessions on bike

Strength is coming back across the board, probably a result from consistent programming.
    The BBB changes worked really well.
    I just can't help but deadlift near failure. This is not good for me, so I'd like to reduce the volume even further and make a strict rule for overhand only gripping.
    I might start creatine after I plateau, which might be another 3-9 cycles..
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 3; 18.12.20-19.01.21

+5 Yoga sessions
    only 2 HIIT sessions
    combined cardio (walk, run, bike, HIIT) of 82.76 miles over 395 minutes)

I need to be more consistent with HIIT, especially how accessible stationary bikes are in my apartment.

I will no longer deadlift heavy with a straight bar. I lack self control and take the final set to failure, compromising form, of which the long term effects are worrisome. I want to weightlift as long as I can and do not want to risk back injury. I'd still like a heavy hinge movement, the best alternative being deadlift with a hex (trap) bar. I can do greater weights (lower 3.3 I did 325x4 for 4 sets!) with less load on the spine, and still work the hamstrings and posterior change. Finally - and maybe this is a rationalization - I don't squat heavy anymore, meaning deadlifts are my only chance to hit legs hard. I'll start light and see how my back holds up with increased weights. My worries about going heavy with the trap bar are explained here: http://jasonferruggia.com/are-trap-b...bar-deadlifts/

The calisthenics .2 workout with high volume is kicking my a**, leaving my arms cramping post-workout. Instead of the 80-100+ rep pullup/dip workouts, I'm going to do 5 sets where I go close to failure. I envision something like this: Pullups BWx15, x13, x12, x10, x8 .. which will ultimately be less volume but with higher intensity sets, and less sets with compromised form. Also, my hope is that the high volume sets will help me with a one arm pullup, training which I have yet to start in earnest..
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 4; 19.01.22-19.03.03

Cardio ~2.5/week
    Yoga ~1.5/week

At the end of cycle 4 I felt some CNS fatigue and less enthusiasm for my programming, so I decided to do a two week deload. I did more yoga and played around in the gym, trying new and revisiting old auxiliary lifts.

Cycle 5 begins today.

Only change for this cycle will be lower .2 (week 2) workout. I'll be increasing volume and intensity and changing up the exercises: 3x8 straightbar deadlift starting with 205, 3x8 backsquat starting at 185.
    Last edited by BipolarBrah; 03-04-2019 at 09:27 AM.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

March 20th 2019.
    Day 21 without alcohol.
    Miraculously, I am alive and continue to live.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 5; 19.03.03-19.04.11

Yoga ~x1/week
    Cardio ~x2/week

Strength on bench press is stalling, while my strength on auxiliary lifts improve. The bench press movement does not come naturally to my biomechanics, and my aging body is no help. I have a lot of thoughts right now but hard to put into words. Frankly, I'm losing motivation for the 315.

My deload was rudely interrupted by the stomach flu. Probably norovirus, but who can say? It has left me with little appetite and energy. I'll try another week of deloading before I decide to continue with 5/3/1 or start something new. Maybe 5x5/3x3?
    Last edited by BipolarBrah; 04-12-2019 at 09:22 AM.
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.

Cycle 6; 16.04.12 - 16.05.12

Yoga ~1/week
    HIIT ~1.5/week
    Moderate Cardio ~1/week

Note:
    -Intentionally increasing added weight to pullups and dips to lower the amount of expected reps: Week 1: 6 reps, Week 3: 3 reps
    -No longer doing BBB on bench press, instead will be doing DB military press week 1: 8 reps, week 3: 6 reps
    -Changing deadlifts again. Week 1 will be traditional deadlift 5x5. Week 2 will be lighter SLD. Week 3 will be heavy rack pulls. I have mixed feelings about deadlifts. I love the movement, the muscles used, the DOMs. But despite everything, it is aging my joints and back. I'm going to limit myself to only using overhand grip, no alternating grips and absolutely no straps. This will set a limit to how much weight I move. My grip strength and form will improve, while preventing me from going to posterior chain failure and reducing risk associated with heavy weights
    PhD Candidate, Genetics.