Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50) ArtifactFit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Henry-

We have emailed years back, when I first saw Lamb I was kinda shocked at how similar a few designs of current equipment looked relative to you much older designs.

I do not get a chance to check often but I do appreciate seeing your designs and seeing well thought out equipment. I hope you continue to post and I hope you continue to find ways to get videos up of the equipment.

The glute press, I really like the idea of an adjustable angle on the linkage footplate because many I have tried, (probably copies from your original design), the cybex squat press in particular, which I owned for a number of years, and greatly enjoyed using, had a linkage footplate that failed to keep the footplate perpendicular to the shin, came close but was not perfect. I almost modified it but decided not to take up the effort. The adjust-ability would have been nice BUT.. from my experience the average gym user and even the experienced trainee would not be able to fully appreciate this feature... I hope they do.

selfishly... I would love to see you build your seated calf machine with the lever/linkage system foot pedal with knee restraint and shin restraint. That design, mechanically made sense, thought I would be interested to see it in use.

Best wishes with your business!

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    If you are planning on selling them I would make them to take olympic plates instead of standard.

HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by ArtifactFit View Post
    Henry-

We have emailed years back, when I first saw Lamb I was kinda shocked at how similar a few designs of current equipment looked relative to you much older designs.

I do not get a chance to check often but I do appreciate seeing your designs and seeing well thought out equipment. I hope you continue to post and I hope you continue to find ways to get videos up of the equipment.

The glute press, I really like the idea of an adjustable angle on the linkage footplate because many I have tried, (probably copies from your original design), the cybex squat press in particular, which I owned for a number of years, and greatly enjoyed using, had a linkage footplate that failed to keep the footplate perpendicular to the shin, came close but was not perfect. I almost modified it but decided not to take up the effort. The adjust-ability would have been nice BUT.. from my experience the average gym user and even the experienced trainee would not be able to fully appreciate this feature... I hope they do.

selfishly... I would love to see you build your seated calf machine with the lever/linkage system foot pedal with knee restraint and shin restraint. That design, mechanically made sense, thought I would be interested to see it in use.

Best wishes with your business!

Dear Artifact,

Not many people are even aware of "Lamb Bodybuilding Machines" (the company or its products). "Hammer Strength", with its marketing machine [i](and the leverage it received through its relationship with[i] "Nautilus") basically smothered my company out of the market. It is not in my nature to boast on my machines, if people want to know who the true innovators are, it is possible to do the research and find out.

While I know that companies like "Universal", "Paramount", and "Nautilus" originated the weight stack type (selectorized) machines, plate-loaded machines at that time were basically all lever-type machines (with the exception of carriage-type leg presses and hack squats); no one used four-bar linkages. When variable-resistance became popular (and it was destined to, because the human body, by virtue of body-mechanics, applies variable force in most exercise movements), Nautilus started introducing profiled cams to vary the resistance applied in various exercise movements. After Nautilus, Hammer Strength started introducing leverage-type machines which utilized a simple lever-type mechanism to apply a variable resistance load to an operator's body while performing various exercises. With the exception of a few machines introduced to the market by a company named "Corbin Gentry" (which incidentally did not know how to kinematically design a four-bar linkage to apply a 'practical' force output for use in human exercise movements), it is Henry Maag who introduced the four-bar linkage to the muscle-building market in a way that others could see its virtues and benefits. It can be confirmed that shortly after "Lamb" started to bring the four-bar linkage driven machines to industry trade shows, that other manufacturers started introducing four-bar linkage driven machines. Four-bar linkage driven plate-loaded machines were (almost without exception) introduced to the muscle-building community by me.

Thank you for the complement on my machines being "well thought out". I will continue to post, given that I don't become deemed a "spammer" and consequently dismissed ("banned") from the forum again. I am, with little surprise, receiving a lot of encouragement from the local bodybuilding community for the machines that I am bringing to local gyms for evaluation; and it is my intent to continue to take videos and place them on "You Tube".

Regarding the Glute Press, the adjustable foot plate pitch was an idea that just came to me recently. Looking at the machine's design, I realized that it was as simple as simply replacing the machine's rigid 'follower link' with an adjustable one.

As far as appreciating this feature, I am already aware that the human body adjusts to what it is given, and I suspect that if this type of leg pressing machine is reasonably well designed (that is, that the foot plate remains reasonably within a range perpendicular to the axis' of the operator's lower legs while performing the exercise) that the machine will feel fine to most users, and they consequently will not bother to adjust it. On a side note, I actually feel that the feature which sets my Glute Press apart from many others (besides, of course, its construction) is the fact that it does not bend the operator's torso as much as most others, taking considerable stress off of the operator's lower back while performing the exercise.

Regarding the old "Lamb" Seated Calf Machine; I still have the plans, and as I have mentioned before, as long as I can raise the money for materials, you will eventually see it on this thread, and afterwards on a "You Tube" video.

Thank you for the "best wishes".

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HenryMaag is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jellodirt View Post
    If you are planning on selling them I would make them to take olympic plates instead of standard.

Dear jellodirt,

Because my pictures and videos all show olympic plates on my machines, I can only guess that you have experienced some very old "Lamb" machines ("1", "10", and a few "100 series" machines) which were constructed with 2.0" DOM tubes for the weight bars. Originally many machines in my area of the country utilized 2.0" diameter weight bars, which worked fine with the original olympic plates which utilized a 2.06" diameter hole. About the time that "Hammer Strength" came along (who utilized a 1.875" diameter tube for their weight bars), plate manufacturers started making their plates with 2.0" diameter holes, which, in turn, would not fit my machines. I, consequently, started building my machines with 1.875" diameter weight bars like everyone else.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) PeaceWithin has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Following this thread. I don't know how anyone can be rude to OP, might be the most polite poster I have seen yet on the MISC, including the OV35 area. Lol.

Good luck with your business venture
    MISC Blood Drive (MOD REPS): https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175220881

Start: B-175/S-185/D-185/OHP-95
    Current:B-335/S-365/D-365/OHP-215
    Goals: B-365/S-405/D-495/OHP-225

A "new" plate-loaded machine

Dear thread members, or anyone interested;

I have built a new prototype machine, a machine which I have never built before. Would anyone like to see it?

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50) Leaf will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by HenryMaag View Post
    Dear thread members, or anyone interested;

I have built a new prototype machine, a machine which I have never built before. Would anyone like to see it?

Sincerely,

Henry Maag
    You dont need to continue this charade and keep asking. Just post it.

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    You dont need to continue this charade and keep asking. Just post it.
    Agreed.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #35
    -!!!---!!!- No Excuses Homemade Equipment Crew #14

A "new" plate-loaded machine by Henry Maag

Originally Posted by KBKB View Post
    Agreed.

Dear Leaf & KBKB,

Forgive my asking up front, a lot of it stems from having been largely ignored for some 30 years, even though I suspicion, in reflection, that my business savvy may have had a lot to do with it.

Here are pictures. Remember it is just a prototype.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag
    Attached Images

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Henry,

You really need to get a youtube channel set up with videos of your machines in use.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Plate loaded pec deck? Are the arms adjustable to set the pre-stretch or fixed? Reason I ask is the first pic appears that the arms are sitting pretty far forward for pecs, but it could be the pic angle?
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    Henry,

You really need to get a youtube channel set up with videos of your machines in use.

Dear keyboardworkout,

I believe that my son is working on that.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) KBKB has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Dear Leaf & KBKB,

Forgive my asking up front, a lot of it stems from having been largely ignored for some 30 years, even though I suspicion, in reflection, that my business savvy may have had a lot to do with it.

Here are pictures. Remember it is just a prototype.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag
    Pics embedded.

Originally Posted by rpark View Post
    Plate loaded pec deck? Are the arms adjustable to set the pre-stretch or fixed? Reason I ask is the first pic appears that the arms are sitting pretty far forward for pecs, but it could be the pic angle?

Dear rpark,

Yes, it is a plate-loaded pectoral fly machine.

Regarding the position of the machine's effort arms in the pictures: the reason that the machine's effort arms are forward (incidentally, you are quite observant) is because the pictures were taken with the machine in the "racked" position. The 'racking mechanisms', common to every machine which I have ever built outside of arm and leg curl machines (where I don't feel a racking mechanism is necessary); allow easy operator access to my machines, which would otherwise be difficult to access due to greater ranges of motion than just about every other manufacturer out there.

The 'pre-stretch' on this particular prototype is fixed. I have added a feature (largely due to input from HealthNutMD on this forum) on the 'cross axes' upper body press machines (the supine press, the two versions of the incline press, and the shoulder press) which allows the operator to select how deep he (or she) wants the machine's pre stretch before engaging the stops - after all, some of us are made of 'rubber' and some of 'rock' - or, perhaps, some of us have a range-of-motion limiting injury.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

Dear thread members,

Here is a link to the video of the rebuilt version of the Lamb Inverted Leg Press Machine from 25 years ago.

If there are any questions, please feel free to ask.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCMam_O_8A&t=180s

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    So you do have a channel with a bunch of your machines.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqF...BMaGfdA/videos

These are your four most recent videos.

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

Dear keyboardworkout,

Thank you for placing the videos, since I have no idea how to do that.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

Thank you for placing the videos, since I have no idea how to do that.
    Suppose you want to embed the following video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssCMam_O_8A

All you do is add the [youtube] and [/youtube] tags around the bold highlighted portion in the URL above. Like this:

[youtube]ssCMam_O_8A[/youtube]

It ends up looking like this (below) once it's embedded:

Dear KBKB,

Thank You.

As most members on this forum have gathered by now, I have a lot to learn regarding how to use the internet.

I actually did not know how to get the 'you tube video address' for any particular video of mine, until I 'clicked' on the bar (field) at the top of the page which revealed it.

Thank you again,

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

An 'announcement' coming in the future.

Dear forum members,

I have been quite busy lately; ...conducting 'experiments', ...gathering feedback, ...talking about muscle-building machines with others, ...planning.....

.....and I feel that an 'announcement' is coming in the not-to-distant future.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

.....and I feel that an 'announcement' is coming in the not-to-distant future.
    s/to/too/

Beyond the typo, I think this is where you need to be really, really careful. Making an explicit announcement of product availability (or something along those lines) might well be regarded as spam.

s/to/too/

Beyond the typo, I think this is where you need to be really, really careful. Making an explicit announcement of product availability (or something along those lines) might well be regarded as spam.

Dear KBKB,

Thank you for watching out for me (you have always watched out for me). Fortunately I haven't put my 'foot in my mouth' ...yet, even though I may be a bit of a 'loose cannon' (Ha, Ha, Ha).

Can you give me further advice. If just such an 'announcement' entails only future plans, for example, with no mention of specific products for sale, will it be 'accepted' as simply 'informative'?

Regarding announcements of 'product availability', I have seen many references (on multiple threads) pointing out 'product availability', which is a subject that many members 'seem' to be interested in, in that members are always looking for something new to either discuss or perhaps purchase.

I have seen others (some, manufacturers) on this forum, mention both new machines for sale (along with prices for those machines). I brought it up before, and the explanation that was given to me, was basically that they were seasoned members of the forum.

If I have been deemed by enough members on this forum to, at minimum, at least be interesting or informative enough to members looking for 'something different', then is it (in your opinion) worth the risk to make such an announcement.

Perhaps, other 'moderators' would like the 'chime in'.

Thank you (again),

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

Dear KBKB,

Thank you for watching out for me (you have always watched out for me). Fortunately I haven't put my 'foot in my mouth' ...yet, even though I may be a bit of a 'loose cannon' (Ha, Ha, Ha).

Can you give me further advice. If just such an 'announcement' entails only future plans, for example, with no mention of specific products for sale, will it be 'accepted' as simply 'informative'?

Regarding announcements of 'product availability', I have seen many references (on multiple threads) pointing out 'product availability', which is a subject that many members 'seem' to be interested in, in that members are always looking for something new to either discuss or perhaps purchase.

I have seen others (some, manufacturers) on this forum, mention both new machines for sale (along with prices for those machines). I brought it up before, and the explanation that was given to me, was basically that they were seasoned members of the forum.

If I have been deemed by enough members on this forum to, at minimum, at least be interesting or informative enough to members looking for 'something different', then is it (in your opinion) worth the risk to make such an announcement.

Perhaps, other 'moderators' would like the 'chime in'.

Thank you (again),

Sincerely,

Henry Maag
    Hi Henry,

First of all, I'm not a moderator. It would indeed be best to get input from one or more of the forum mods.

That said, I'll tell you what I think about it...

Yes, product announcements do get posted to this forum, but I think that this is only done by forum members who don't have a financial interest in the product. E.g. there have been times when I've noticed some new Rogue offering (or whatever) and have posted some photos and provided a link to the announcement. I'm not employed by those folks, nor do I have any other arrangement with them aside from being an occasional customer. So, while it's okay for ordinary forum members to provide pointers to product announcements, it's against forum rules for a manufacturer or vendor to do so. That's my understanding of it anyway.

Instead of doing a formal announcement, you might instead post photos of your manufacturing facility. Or perhaps show some pieces which are about to be shipped out. Or show an already delivered piece in a gym setting. If you keep it really low key, you'll probably be okay.

There's a fairly old thread started by OSUDimond in which he announces that he's opening a gym.

See: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=155168773

But the thread is more about the stuff he's collecting to put in the gym and (to a lesser degree) about the trials and tribulations of running the business. He never announces where the gym is nor does he seek to encourage forum members to join his gym. To the best of my knowledge, he was always careful enough to not violate forum rules or get in trouble with the mods.

There are other threads here started by folks who build equipment. For the most part, I think they just post photos of the stuff they've built for clients. They're never heavy handed nor do they ever post anything even remotely marketing related. Yet, it should be pretty obvious that if you want a piece built, all you have to do is PM them. (Note, however, that this is never stated.) As an example, take a look at Mech6's thread entitled, "My recent builds":

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=158840393

Mech6 is a well regarded forum member. If you follow his example, I think you should be okay.

alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000) alexthaman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey Henry,

First of, i have seen a lot of your posts in the last few months but with all those colors, fonts and those Dear.... in the beginning of your posts i have never bothered of reading any of them.

But today, i have watched to a few of your machines videos and i have to admit that some of your equipment seems really good. You should have posted these videos before any other text or picture to catch the attention of some of us members of equipment crew because your work is really impressive.

I just wanted to give you a heads up and congrats you for the great work you have done in the past or present!
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #54 []---[]

My own home gym evolution thread with pics of my gym

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=174506581&p=1514272741&posted=1#post1514272741

Originally Posted by alexthaman View Post
    Hey Henry,

First of, i have seen a lot of your posts in the last few months but with all those colors, fonts and those Dear.... in the beginning of your posts i have never bothered of reading any of them.

But today, i have watched to a few of your machines videos and i have to admit that some of your equipment seems really good. You should have posted these videos before any other text or picture to catch the attention of some of us members of equipment crew because your work is really impressive.

I just wanted to give you a heads up and congrats you for the great work you have done in the past or present!

'Dear' Alex,

(I'll admit, when I look at the word 'Dear', I start to wonder if it looks businesslike... Thank you for the feedback.)

I suppose I use the word 'Dear' because I don't know any better (perhaps others on the forum might like to make some suggestions). For my part, I would hate to have people not even look at my posts because I start them with the word 'Dear'.

Ha, Ha, Ha; 'Dear' does start to look kind off "Lovey-Dovey" doesn't it?

Well, anyway; Thank you for your complements regarding my machines.

In reflection, I have never been too good at getting people's attention. Your suggestion of putting a picture (or video) in their face, before introducing myself or giving my thoughts may have some merit (certainly might be worth experimenting with to see if I can generate better results - well, if a picture just 'pops-up on this thread with no introduction members will know who to credit (or, perhaps, blame - Ha, Ha, Ha). Of course, I did not know how to place a picture or video on this forum until I received counsel from members on this forum just recently anyway.

Thank you again Alex, I do appreciate your feedback.

Sincerely,

Henry Maag

P.S. I have eliminated the use of 'colors' in my posts, after receiving sound feedback on the burden they were causing some members on the forum (after all, I want to communicate with people, not make enemies).

(I'll admit, when I look at the word 'Dear', I start to wonder if it looks businesslike... Thank you for the feedback.)

I suppose I use the word 'Dear' because I don't know any better (perhaps others on the forum might like to make some suggestions). For my part, I would hate to have people not even look at my posts because I start them with the word 'Dear'.

Ha, Ha, Ha; 'Dear' does start to look kind off "Lovey-Dovey" doesn't it?
    When replying to a post, I'll often skip a salutation altogether. Forum posts tend to be a lot less formal than old-fashioned business correspondence which was conducted with actual letters.

If I do include a salutation, I'll often use 'Hi' or 'Hey'. I don't think I've ever used 'Dear'. That said, I don't think that using 'Dear' is wrong, just quaint.

smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) smokinHawk is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Dear Henry Maag,

Please stop replying in a way that your post look like a letter.
    big reason why members find you annoying. Just freaking talk normal.

Sincerely,

smokinHawk.
    Best Raw total 1850 at 181 lbs
    best comp raw lifts @ 181
    squat 710
    bench 500
    deadlift 670
    "Lightest man to bench 500 raw in a full meet"
    my you tube channel of my training http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkt7CVJ7443k6Vu_1DwP3UA
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #9 ||---||
    ()---() York Barbell Club #81 ()---()
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #81 []---[]

swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) swimmer32 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    That said, I don't think that using 'Dear' is wrong, just quaint.
    My wife works for a rather large organization and just took part in a training where she was told using "Dear" is a form of sexual harrassment.

Srs. More like saying "thanks Dear" though, so not exactly the same thing.

Henry - I'm liking the looks of your equipment. I can't tell if you're old fashioned or just socially awkward - but if you can learn how to write on the forums and online you'll be a lot more successful.
    STAND TALL AND SHAKE THE HEAVENS!!

"Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own." - 1 Corinthians 6:19

▪█─-─█▪ Equipment Crew #71 ▪█─-─█▪
    []---[] York Barbell Club #32 []---[]
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #66 []---[]
    ||---|| Rogue Barbell Club #6 ||---||

In it for the gainz RestoringTally's Avatar
    RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RestoringTally has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by swimmer32 View Post
    My wife works for a rather large organization and just took part in a training where she was told using "Dear" is a form of sexual harrassment.

Srs. More like saying "thanks Dear" though, so not exactly the same thing.

Henry - I'm liking the looks of your equipment. I can't tell if you're old fashioned or just socially awkward - but if you can learn how to write on the forums and online you'll be a lot more successful.
    In formal writing, "Dear" is used as a salutation. I cannot think of another use of the word outside a close, personal relationship.

I call my wife "dear" and I tell her it is so that I don't mix up her name with my girlfriend's name.

Henry, read other threads and pay attention to how others write their posts. There are different rules for different forms of communications. Forums are not at all like formal letters. Start writing with a less formal format. Think of it as if you were just talking with your closest 5000 friends.
    O─O York Barbell Crew #53 O─O
    ─█────█─ Ivanko Barbell Crew #63 ─█────█─
    ─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
    My goal is to have so much equipment that I don't have room to workout. I am almost there. :)
    ──────────────────────────────────-───────────────────────
    1st Meet Nov 2014 Push-Pull: 225 - 325 @ 194 Masters 59

Alright guys, (assuming a mostly male audience)

I have looked back over the thread, and have found, that I am the only person using the salutation "Dear". I confess, and agree with all of you, that it does look extremely awkward (especially, assuming, once again, a mostly male audience). (Its interesting the things that we can discover about ourselves or how we come across by simply listening to others. I honestly had never given my salutations on a forum any thought.)

Well, if you will all bear with me for just a second.....

....Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear, Dear......................

There, I think that I got it out of my system, I will try not to use it again while corresponding on a forum. It will go the way of my using 'color' in my posts.

Thank you 'swimmer32' for the complement on the equipment, and I suspicion that I am both a little 'old fashioned' and 'socially awkward'.

I assume no closing is necessary either (????)