GoldenArslan is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile Hypotension and Valsalva Maneuver?

Hi Guys, I am naturelly Hypotension (with no disease or heart problems!), sometimes during squats (even with light weights) i feel dizziness and i almost going to pass out! and this freaks me out because if i am like that in light weights then what could happen when i reach heavy?

is there a relation between valsalva maneuver and hypotension? i thought it will increase pressure not decreasing it and this will be the most beneficial to me as a hypotension?

Please help because i will start stronglifts 5x5 soon and need to sort everything out before i start.

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I also have hypotension. make sure you are well hydrated and have eaten before hitting the gym. dehydration and low blood sugar cause dizziness at the best of times let alone if you have low blood pressure too. make sure you warm up well to get your blood pressure up before you start lifting.
    I found that the valsalva manouver cause me dizziness when I first started it, but as time has gone on it has gotten better. make sure you are properly bracing not just holding your breath.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Are you doing the VM correctly?
    In most people it will raise the BP.
    Remember the VM isn't just holding your breath it's filling up the belly/diaphram and pushing out ward with it to create tension.

Originally Posted by leeniepie View Post
    make sure you are properly bracing not just holding your breath.
    thank you very much for reply but can you illustrate more on this part i don't actually get it, So i shouldn't hold my breath until i reach top of movement or i just breath gradually to the way top? will this hurt my lower back because my core is losing tightness when i xhale gradually?

Thanks in advance,,

Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Are you doing the VM correctly?
    In most people it will raise the BP.
    Remember the VM isn't just holding your breath it's filling up the belly/diaphram and pushing out ward with it to create tension.
    I don't think i have done it right at the time i got the dizziness because i was very very tired already from doing a 37 min HIIT cardio and as leeniepie said i will make sure to drink a lot of water and eat well before workout and also i know that going for squats even with empty bar like i did after a 37 min HIIT is just wrong.

leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250) leeniepie has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by GoldenArslan View Post
    thank you very much for reply but can you illustrate more on this part i don't actually get it, So i shouldn't hold my breath until i reach top of movement or i just breath gradually to the way top? will this hurt my lower back because my core is losing tightness when i xhale gradually?

Thanks in advance,,
    No you brace before you lift, then exhale once you finish. There are plenty of videos on correct breathing technique. Make sure you breathe into your abdomen and create pressure there, not just breathe into your chest and hold it.