Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50)

First ever squat form check. Forward lean?

Hey guys.

I got 3 squat videos, each with different weights on. It feels like I am doing a slight forward lean on my squats instead of keeping the bar above mid-foot. Bad posture, bad form, or bad mobility? You be the judge. Also how is depth?

Not sure how to embed videos so here they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rl9RyQP-TMo Empty bar, 20kg(45lbs)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lbYkLq7tOE 60kg, (132lbs)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5FXTD2n4kU 80kg, (175lbs)

I typically do 3x5, for the videos i just did 3 though.

Thanks.

EDIT: First low bar squat attempt today-> https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...1&p=1488397411
    Last edited by Secerbus; 03-24-2017 at 08:02 AM. Reason: New link.

3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50) 3SchnitzelsAday will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    IS that high bar?
    Try a little wider stance, more toes out.

Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000)
    You're not squatting to depth and the reason why is your stance is too narrow. You keep pushing your knees forward which actually makes it harder to reach depth. Try a wider stance, force the knees out to the side instead of forward, and sit straight down.

Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Secerbus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 3SchnitzelsAday View Post
    IS that high bar?
    Try a little wider stance, more toes out.
    What does "high bar" mean? Sorry still a bit new.

Ok will try! Any cues for how to stand?

Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000) Radicalnotions is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Secerbus View Post
    I am sorry, "High bar"?

Any cues for how wide to stand?
    This is going to vary from individual to individual and your hip mobility and morphology. Start at shoulder width and experiment. Go wider or narrower to see which one feels the best and allows you to squat to depth.

Originally Posted by Radicalnotions View Post
    You're not squatting to depth and the reason why is your stance is too narrow. You keep pushing your knees forward which actually makes it harder to reach depth. Try a wider stance, force the knees out to the side instead of forward, and sit straight down.
    I see, thanks for the input! Yes I am trying my best to go all the way down but I cannot.

Do you have any cues for how wide to stand?

BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000) BG5150 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    And tell the fat girl to stop walking around and do some lifting...
    --There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

--Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81

--The proper plural form of the Latin adjective biceps is bicipites, a form not in general English use. Instead, biceps is used in both singular and plural (i.e., when referring to both arms). The form bicep [sic], although common even in professional contexts, is considered incorrect. (from Wikipedia)

Originally Posted by Radicalnotions View Post
    This is going to vary from individual to individual and your hip mobility and morphology. Start at shoulder width and experiment. Go wider or narrower to see which one feels the best and allows you to squat to depth.
    Okay! I'll try that, thanks a lot! I'll re-post some videos in a couple of days with a wider stance.

cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You have a lot more problems then stance width, you need to learn to squat first off. Go to YouTube and watch Mark Rippetoes video on how to squat, and do that.
    "Aesthetics aside, heavier is eventually necessary if stronger is to occur, and once most people see that weight gain actually makes them look better (amazingly enough), they become less resistant to the idea." -Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by cartermathis View Post
    You have a lot more problems then stance width, you need to learn to squat first off. Go to YouTube and watch Mark Rippetoes video on how to squat, and do that.
    Any specific pointers you saw I did wrong? Open for criticism!

cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cartermathis is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Any specific pointers you saw I did wrong? Open for criticism!
    Yes, you need to learn to squat.
    -Too much squirming around before squatting, and between reps
    -Knee angle is too excessive/why your depth isn't there also knee is shooting forward at bottom of squat, signs of not being tight at bottom and losing control
    -Stance too narrow probably preventing depth
    -Not hitting depth
    -Heels seem to be coming off ground, not sure because blocked from view but I'm sure it's a decent amount

Would highly recommend you to just learn the video I posted and benefit from it greatly.
    "Aesthetics aside, heavier is eventually necessary if stronger is to occur, and once most people see that weight gain actually makes them look better (amazingly enough), they become less resistant to the idea." -Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by cartermathis View Post
    Yes, you need to learn to squat.
    -Too much squirming around before squatting, and between reps
    -Knee angle is too excessive/why your depth isn't there also knee is shooting forward at bottom of squat, signs of not being tight at bottom and losing control
    -Stance too narrow probably preventing depth
    -Not hitting depth
    -Heels seem to be coming off ground, not sure because blocked from view but I'm sure it's a decent amount

Would highly recommend you to just learn the video I posted and benefit from it greatly.
    I checked the video. Have actually seen it before but it's good to refresh. I think the heels thing might be because of the forward lean, as the weight is above/in front of toes.

Can you elaborate on the knee angle? In what way is it too excessive?

Thanks a lot!

jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000) jotenko is just really nice. (+1000)
    Your stance needs to be wider.

Also, before going down, think about throwing your ass backwards and try to rip the floor apart (throwing your knees out) through all the rep.

Originally Posted by jotenko View Post
    Your stance needs to be wider.

Also, before going down, think about throwing your ass backwards and try to rip the floor apart (throwing your knees out) through all the rep.
    Awesome, I will keep that in mind. I have been squatting at home with an empty bar in a door frame to force a straight bar path, will go to the gym again tomorrow and try again!

Thanks!

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    +1 to the above about stance width and your hips not having anywhere to go, hence your knee having a ton of forward-travel, and your heels raising because of the ankle mobility demands when your knee travels that far.

Only other recommendation is to squat with a heeled shoe, especially for high-bar. It will increase ankle mobility and provide grip to push off of.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
    +1 to the above about stance width and your hips not having anywhere to go, hence your knee having a ton of forward-travel, and your heels raising because of the ankle mobility demands when your knee travels that far.

Only other recommendation is to squat with a heeled shoe, especially for high-bar. It will increase ankle mobility and provide grip to push off of.
    I see, thanks a lot for the input! Can ankle mobility be trained? I would prefer not to use additional equipment for my lifts if I can get away with it.

Perhaps switching to low-bar?

I see, thanks a lot for the input! Can ankle mobility be trained? I would prefer not to use additional equipment for my lifts if I can get away with it.

yes learn to low bar squat hence why I posted the video

Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Yodums is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Yes, ankle mobility can be trained. Static stretching, use of bands, actively squatting, and using a barbell (my favourite) are all methods.

Having the barbell and weight on your knees will create the ankle mobility demands and it will get uncomfortable after 20-30 seconds.

You can get away without heeled shoes, but I personally think they're a necessity as cleats are in football for high-bar squats. As for high-bar vs. low-bar, you can just try out each and go with whatever method you prefer. I prefer high-bar because of increased range of motion, focus on quads, and no stress on my elbows and wrists.
    S: 455, B: 375, D: 545

Originally Posted by Yodums View Post
    Yes, ankle mobility can be trained. Static stretching, use of bands, actively squatting, and using a barbell (my favourite) are all methods.

Having the barbell and weight on your knees will create the ankle mobility demands and it will get uncomfortable after 20-30 seconds.

You can get away without heeled shoes, but I personally think they're a necessity as cleats are in football for high-bar squats. As for high-bar vs. low-bar, you can just try out each and go with whatever method you prefer. I prefer high-bar because of increased range of motion, focus on quads, and no stress on my elbows and wrists.
    Awesome, thank you very much for the information. I will check my ankles tomorrow when I am at the gym!

TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TheShadowMan is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have used narrow, medium, and wide stance on squats and found uses for all three. Keeping toes pointed reduces tension in the knees, but the stance width is how you change what you want to emphasize or reduce with the exercise. Depth also affects this, and it's sometimes strategic to go half way vs full-down and full-up. I don't consider depth or width(when it's not too extreme) improper form and honestly would be lost without these variations.
    Back to basics full body routine: https://pastebin.com/5BgKgrMv

Training journal: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=178059671&p=1598034261#post1598034261

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Eh squatting low bar is not at all a necessity. Stick with high bar if you like it and just work on your form.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Multivitamin Creatine Monohydrate
    Fish Oil Whey

Originally Posted by Grizvok View Post
    Eh squatting low bar is not at all a necessity. Stick with high bar if you like it and just work on your form.
    I did some reading on the two versions and from what I hear the low bar squat allows you to carry more weight, involves more muscles, and as a result, allows you to gain more, which is what I am after in the long run. So I will try for a low bar squat today and post a form video later, I'm sure I got some stuff to work out there as well.

Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000) Grizvok is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I did some reading on the two versions and from what I hear the low bar squat allows you to carry more weight, involves more muscles, and as a result, allows you to gain more, which is what I am after in the long run. So I will try for a low bar squat today and post a form video later, I'm sure I got some stuff to work out there as well.
    That's really just not true.
    Fierce 5 novice routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=159678631

All Pros beginner routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172473

Calculating calories and macros: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173439001

Fish Oil Whey

That's really just not true.
    Perhaps not. Since starting with lifting I've noticed it's very hard to recognize the real information from the bull****, or bro-science.

Perhaps not. Since starting with lifting I've noticed it's very hard to recognize the real information from the bull****, or bro-science.
    What it comes down to is torque really. I think this article is pretty good.

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/its...bar-squatting/

Fish Oil Whey

Here is an update guys with my first attempt at a low bar squat.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...1&p=1488397411

What it comes down to is torque really. I think this article is pretty good.

http://www.strongerbyscience.com/its...bar-squatting/
    I'll read through it, thanks!