Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    You are kind of a new poster here. Do you workout with that type of equipment now?
    Yes, I am newbie and I don't know most of the equipment I want to buy.
    Regards.

Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000) Greybird2 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I would suggest trying a gym before you buy all that stuff. Do you do some type of training now?

ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz ironwill2008 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by jmb66 View Post
    Some people buy motorcycles - I decided to build a garage gym as a mid-life present to myself. I’m considering placing this crazy expensive (as for myself) order. I am certainly overdoing it, but I don’t want to hear anymore suggestions “get couple of dumbbells first”, etc. Also, I want to avoid shipping charges. This is supposed to be the one-time, large gym order. Here is my shopping cart that I am working on for couple of months.

What would you remove? What would you add? Any other suggestions for building garage gym?

Thanks,
    J.B.

Rogue RM-6 Monster Rack 2.0 - 2210$
    Rogue AB-3 Adjustable Bench - 935$
    The Ohio Bar - Stainless Steel - 350$
    320LB Color Training Plate 2.0 Set - 915$
    Rogue Rubber Hex Dumbbell Set: 5 - 50lbs - 660$
    Rogue Adjustable Monolift - Monster - 325$
    37.5LB Change Plate Set - 181$
    Rogue Abram GHD 2.0 - 695$
    RH-2M Rogue Hyper (I have back pain, and no space for standalone hyper) - 625$
    Hyper Roller Attachment (I read this may be unnecessary) - 245$
    Rogue Curl Bar - 195$
    Rogue Arm Blaster - 56.50$
    Rogue Monster Landmine - 118$
    Rogue Monster Matador - 140$
    XM-43M Monster Multi Grip Crossmember - 182$
    Rogue Parallel Landmine Handle - Fat Grip - 62.50$
    Rogue Monster Grip Triangle (will build lat pulldown) - 53.50$
    Rogue Vertical Bar Hanger - 50$
    OSO Barbell Collars - 49.95$
    Rogue Single Landmine Handle - 39.5$
    Rogue Monster Shackle - 2x30$
    Monster Band Pegs - 4 Pack - 41.50$
    Mini Deadlift Bar Jack - 62.50$
    Rogue Wise Crack Abmat - 45$
    Total: 8297$ (around 8K is my limit)
    What is your training goal; bodybuilding or powerlifting?
    No brain, no gain.

"The fitness and nutrition world is a breeding ground for obsessive-compulsive behavior. The irony is that many of the things people worry about have no impact on results either way, and therefore aren't worth an ounce of concern."--Alan Aragon

Where the mind goes, the body follows.

Ironwill Gym:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=629719403&postcount=3388

Ironwill2008 Journal:
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=157459343&p=1145168733

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    How about flooring? If you are going to go with the ideal gym, don't regret later that you didn't address the flooring before getting everything set up. I love the rolled rubber flooring I have however stall mats are fine as well. Installing flooring first saves the headaches of having to move equipment later.

i'm surprised Legend racks are more than Rogue. Mine was significantly cheaper, which model(s) did you price out? Price wasn't my deciding factor, the smaller footprint for a six post rack was. It may not be as important if you have a ton of space.
    {5'7" and under #1}
    ▪█───█▪ Equipment Crew #77 ▪█───█▪
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew - Can't recall number [M]===[6]

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Some people buy motorcycles - I decided to build a garage gym as a mid-life present to myself. I’m considering placing this crazy expensive (as for myself) order. I am certainly overdoing it, but I don’t want to hear anymore suggestions “get couple of dumbbells first”, etc. Also, I want to avoid shipping charges. This is supposed to be the one-time, large gym order. Here is my shopping cart that I am working on for couple of months.

What would you remove? What would you add? Any other suggestions for building garage gym?

Thanks,
    J.B.

Rogue Curl Bar - 195$
    While this is fun and all, if you're new to lifting, and you want the free shipping, why not try to stay around 5k to eliminate some risk? Take out the dumbbells, monolift, adjustable bench (get a flat bench), landmine, & grip triangle and focus on the basics.

Buy a Starting Strength book and read it cover to cover. Get strong and healthy learning the big four lifts. Once Black Friday rolls around, after you've been lifting in your awesome rack for 6 months, you will better know what you need/want and what you want to focus on (powerlifting, bodybuilding, general strength training, etc.)

Good luck.
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000) rpark is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Definitely drop the reverse hyper roller attachment and I'd also drop the arm blaster. Also I'm not sure what your intent is for the monster shackles, but I'd say they aren't necessary. I'd probably drop the GHD (it's my least used machine) and add either more plates or a dumbbell storage rack with a few more sets above 50 pounds.
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #4 []---[]
    []---[] Rogue Barbell Club #9 []---[]
    []---[] Equipment Crew #76 []---[]

BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) BulkMore is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Not sure if this was asked but does the OP exercise on a regular basis? I really hope this isnt one of those..."well its time to start working out" ordeals. If you're going to drop this much coin I hope you've been working out for a long long time.

turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000) turbolsxstang is just really nice. (+1000)
    Regards.
    Based off of this quote right here I'd simplify the setup a lot til you learn more about what kind of training you want to focus on and what is needed for it.

I'd start with the rm6, a set of quality plates, a cap 0b86 bar(can be used as your landmine bar once you decide if you want an Olympic bar or power lifting bars later on), a good flat bench or if you go adjustable I'd look into legend for their 3 way bench and go from there.
    [M]===[6] Mech6 Crew #33 [M]===[6]

TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500) TunaGill is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Always start with the basics, and then move to accessories.

Basics are power rack, flat bench (or incline or decline/incline), bars, plates, and flooring (4'x6' horse stall mats from Tractor Supply).

You need more plates. You need more bars. I can't recommend the Duffalo Bar enough. Once you use it, you won't squat with a regular bar again (and maybe not bench with regular bar again).

Below is a pretty good article that may help you from Dave Tate, written in 2005. Some of the information I don't necessarily agree with, but it's very helpful:

How to Start a Private or Home Gym By Dave Tate

Sick of Your Gym? (Part 2)

When you are setting up a place to train on a limited budget you have to prioritize your items based upon a budget. There are a few things that you must have and others that would be nice, but can wait until later. I have separated these by:

A List: Items you have to have to get started.
    B List: Items you should have but not necessary to get started.
    C List: Items that are nice to have but not 100% necessary

A-List

Combo Power Rack: This has to be the one item all gyms have to be based around. We offer racks from $900.00 to $3000.00. You do not need a $3000.00 rack for a home gym. The combo power rack is your best bet. We have built this rack to be the best on the market for this purpose. It has pin hole setting at every inch from the bottom of the rack to the top. This is to serve several purposes. It will allow you to perform dead lifts off the pins from below your knees with the plates only a few inches off the floor. It also provides you with many options when performing pin presses for your bench press. Now you can work your EXACT sticking point in an isometric or static to dynamic position. It also allow for better spotting when training alone. You can set the pins up so if you miss the pins are positioned to take the bar. The safety pins we use are also a pipe and pin set up. This means the pipe will absorb the shock of the weight and not bend the pins or damage your bars. One other notable feature of the rack is its sumo base. This is built so you can squat with a wide stance without the rack being in the way. The combo rack also comes with a free standing bench (built to competitive standards) for all your bench press training. For any home or private gym start up this should be the first item you should consider. Click here for more Power Rack information.

Bars: The first bar you need is a good power bar. The Texas Power Bar is the best all purpose bar you can get. Do not skimp on the bar or you will be buying new ones all the time. I would also recommend the cheapest bar you can find for all the pin pulls and pin presses. There is not a bar on the market that can handle this abuse without bending over time so get something cheap and use it. It does not matter if you use a bent bar on these movements so save your good bar for the squats, benches and dead lifts. Click here for more Power Bar information.

Plates and Dumbbells: With these items be smart. Do not buy from a order or internet company unless you plan on a huge order. The shipping will kill you. First check your local paper and trading times. Many times you will find these items for free or very cheap. If this does not work then visit your local sporting goods or exercise equipment shop. Regardless of the price you will save if you pick the plates up instead of having them shipped. But purchase only what you need. Get as many 45 pound plates as you feel you will need then only (2) 25’s (4) 10’s (2) 5’s and (2) 2.5’s. This will give you everything you need to lift any increment of weight needed. For the dumbbells only buy the ones you will be using. Save the rest for later or when you get stronger. Hex dumbbells are the cheaper option but may break in time. Pro-style may be a better bet for long term usage. Do not go with dumbbells you put together. These tend to rattle which can place stress on the elbows and will always have a post sticking out of them making movements like the rolling dumbbell extension very uncomfortable. Click here for more Plate and Dumbbell information

Rubber Mats: First, make sure you really need them and if so find out the bare minimum you will need. If you buy these from an equipment manufacture you will get killed on price. Try to visit you local Horse Supply Shop or Tractor Supply Shop. The have very good quality 4x6 1 inch thick rubber mats for not much more that $45.00. This is about ½ the price you will pay from a equipment manufacture or supplier.

Box Squat Boxes: I feel the best squat boxes are those like what we use at Westside Barbell. The way they are made is very simple. We use a 2x4 frame with one support running down the center and a ¼ inch piece of plywood for the top. Each box is 4 inches in height with a 24x24 top surface. We use a series of these boxes and 1 inch rubber mats (cut 24x24) to get the desired height. The mats go between the boxes to avoid slipping. This makes it easy when two or three people are squatting to change the box height. You can also use the 4 inch boxes for dead lifts (you stand on them). We also use the boxes to jack up the back up the bench for incline or decline work. Click here for more Box Squat Box information.

Board Press Boards: These are also very easy to build. I suggest using 2x6 boards that are 14 inches in length. I suggest making a one board (one 2x6), two board (two 2x6’s screwed together), three board (three 2x6’s screwed together), and four board and a five board. These will be used for all your board pres work. Click here for more Board Press Board information.

Dragging Sled: Using a sled in your training can have great effects on your recovery and general conditioning. If you are not in shape you will not recover as fast as if your body was working more efficiently. We have several articles in our articles section detailing the use of this item so I will not expand on them here. Read more about the Sled here. Click here for more Dragging Sled information.

Chalk: Now that you have your own place you can use as much of the stuff as you like. Get a box and start making your OWN mess!

B-List

Reverse Hyper: I feel this should really be in A- list but based on budget it may not be possible to get this at the same time as the other items. I feel this is a must have for several reasons. First, lower back strength is one of the biggest problems for most lifters and can put an end to ones training experience. Having a strong healthy back is a very high priority in the training process. If your back is messed up then it does not matter what type of rack you have because you will not be able to squat and dead lift. The Reverse Hyper is the best machine for developing the muscles of the lower back. This is because the range of motion the machine offers tends to hit the muscles of the lower back in glutes in a way no other movement or machine can do. Many have tried to simulate this or tried another type of machine but when they finally get a real Reverse Hyper they can’t believe the difference. There are three models. For the private gym I would suggest the Pro or the Standard. The only difference is how much weight the machine can hold. The standard is best suited for those who squat 500 and below. The Pro is for everyone regardless of the weight they can lift. The standard will hold up to 350 pounds while the pro can hold up to 600 pounds.

Glute Ham Raise: This is the absolute best way to hit the hamstrings because it works the muscle from both the knee and hip joint at the same time. This is how the body works when it runs, jumps, squats and dead lifts. We have spent much time on the design of our unit to make sure the body placement is perfect. I have not seen another GHR that was built correct. You have to have the pad just right and the toe plate has to be big enough to push your toe against. Most other machines fail of both of these specs. When you do the GHR you want to start with your body parallel to the floor. Then with your knees 2” behind the thigh pad you want to curl your body up into the horizontal position.

Safety Squat Bar: Besides a good power bar, the Safety Squat Bar is the most important bar you will buy. The reason for this is what happens to your body when you use the bar. Most lifters fall forward when they miss a squat or a dead lift. This is because they can’t keep the shoulders behind the bar. When you use the Safety Squat Bar for low box squats and good mornings the bar is constantly trying to throw you into this same forward position we miss in. To keep this from happening you have to use the muscles of your upper and lower back to keep the bar is a straight line. This bar will work the muscles of your lower traps (between the shoulder blades) like nothing else. Did you ever notice how thick Elite lifters are in this region? This bar can help you achieve that. At Westside Barbell we do all of out max effort low box squat with this or the cambered squat bar. We have not used a straight bar for Good Mornings or Low Box squats for over 6 years! This is how much we believe in these bars.

Cambered Squat Bar: As described above, we use this or the Safety Squat Bar for all of our max effort good mornings and low box squat work. The Cambered Squat Bar works much different than the Safety Squat Bar. The camber of the bar is 14 inches lower than where the bar sits on your back. This places the hands in a lower position taking much stress of the shoulder as well as placing more stress on the muscles of the back, glutes and hamstrings. Heavy squatting with a straight bar on max effort day coupled with dynamic day squatting may be too much for some lifters’ shoulders and elbows. This bar gives these muscles a rest while still allowing you to work the posterior chain to its fullest.

Cambered Bench Bar: This is a great bar to ad in for variety. JM Presses and low board presses are great with this bar. The low board presses with this bar are excellent for bringing up the bottom of the bench press.

Bands: If you have not heard about training with bands then you are already behind the times. The bands have made an incredible difference in the strength of many Elite and Non Elite Power Lifters across the country. These can be applied in a variety of different ways to enhance your strength to levels you only dream about. For more information on band training click here, or watch the Westside Reactive Method Video.

Chains: Training with chains is another one of the training principles that has changed strength training over the years. Chains work by adding more weight at the top of the lift, which is where you are at your strongest point. You want to make sure you are attaching them to the bar correctly and using the right amount of chain. For more information on this method click here.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I understand your desire to purchase everything in one hit, but unless you're an experienced lifter, that has had the oppertunity to use the equipment on your list, I'd recommend a little caution.

Definitely get a rack, the RM6 is a fine rack, personally I prefer the Legend 3133. For an adjustable bench I like the Rogue AB2 or legend 3 way bench. For a starter bar/weights I think Rogue is a decent choice.

Outside of the rack, bench, weights essentials, this is where you could potentially make some expensive mistakes, a GHD is a very good piece, but for a start out gym, I'd prefer a cable unit, my choice would be a Lat/low pulley machine. I think a set of dumbbells is also a good addition and if you have the room your choice is fine.

Everything else on your list might be considered window dressing, a curl bar is a nice addition, but not essential and I'd definitely drop the arm blaster, I've had one sitting in my garage for 15 years, gathering dust LOL.. As for the landmine, bands etc, nice additions for
    advanced lifters, or to add some variety, but ask yourself, are they really necessary items?.

Setting up a new gym is exciting, let us know how you get on, good luck.

cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) cwcmac has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by thejosef View Post
    While this is fun and all, if you're new to lifting, and you want the free shipping, why not try to stay around 5k to eliminate some risk? Take out the dumbbells, monolift, adjustable bench (get a flat bench), landmine, & grip triangle and focus on the basics.

Buy a Starting Strength book and read it cover to cover. Get strong and healthy learning the big four lifts. Once Black Friday rolls around, after you've been lifting in your awesome rack for 6 months, you will better know what you need/want and what you want to focus on (powerlifting, bodybuilding, general strength training, etc.)

Good luck.
    Very good advice
    {5'7" and under #1}

C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) C123C is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    A few thoughts without doing major research and I don't see experience/goals etc..so I'll just assume.

1) For dumbbells you can get Powerblock or Ironmaster for the same price as the 5-50 and rack set. You'll get these to 90 or 120. Better use of funds and space unless you are wedded to singles and BTW - if you are buying a Monster rack 50lbs is NOT enough.
    2) For the reverse hyper, forget the roller attachment unless you are short. Everyone 5'10" or above and maybe shorter than that too has it lock up on them and jam their femurs into their hip sockets. Unusable. I have a custom mod I'm testing out now that might change that but for now forget it. Most like the strap more anyway. Also I'm not confident the rack attached RH can be mounted to the RM-6 or RML-6 and not have you lose functionality or something with placement of j cups etc....Watch out for this.
    3) I'd add a safety squat bar and maybe rack handles to go with it.
    ▪█─────█▪ Rogue Barbell Crew #27 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Mech6 Crew #26 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #83 ▪█─────█▪

Haven't been able to "rep" many of you for a year or more...not for lack of trying.

Home Gym: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175136471&p=1615740991&viewfull=1#post1615740991

Can't break what's broken Synthetickiller's Avatar
    Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Synthetickiller has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Regards.
    Originally Posted by thejosef View Post

Good luck.
    This.
    I cannot stress enough how much this matters.

If you are new to lifting, OP, a rack, FID bench & a 300 lb weight set are enough. You need to learn the movement patters first. You can get a lot of work done without a ton of equipment.
    Noobies don't need:
    1. Dumbbells
    2. Monolift
    3. GHD
    4. Reverse Hyper
    5. Curl bar & arm blaster (stop this nonsense!)
    6. Land Mine & accessories
    7. Band pegs (really? you're really doing conjugate training?)
    8. Abmat?!

If you are serious (I cannot stress this point enough), then consider dropping coin on a good rack. I ignore the notion that a cheap rack is fine. yes, you can make tons of gains, but if you plan on keeping the rack for the rest of your life, get the right one the first time. Depending on where you are, you can get a 6 post Reflex power rack for about the same price as Rogue's RM-6 (not that the RM-6 is bad), barring shipping. You'll spend most of your time training in & around your rack. This is not a place to go cheap. I disagree entirely with getting a rack that lacks UHMW. Shame on Rogue for selling the RML-690 w/o it. It's a good rack, but UHMW is a deal breaker for a lot of us. I, for one, do not like seeing my j-cups & bar get a lot of undue wear because they were too cheap to add $20 to $50 worth of UHMW to the rack.

As you move in a certain direction, bodybuilding, powerlifting, power building, olympic weightlifting, crossfit (don't do crossfit), you'll know what equipment you'll need to fix whatever weaknesses you have, be it strength or aesthetically speaking. By then, another black Friday will roll around & you can pick up a piece or two with free shipping. There's also the used market where far better deals can be found for those patient enough.

This whole shipping thing is a little overboard. A lot of companies will cut you some slack with shipping that much equipment. I have a $450 discount on a quote because it's a package discount. I hate paying shipping as much as you, but you're throwing away with a shove to save with a spoon. There will hit a point with any company that they'll want to cut you a deal to much a lot of equipment. Have you looked at getting a contact with Legend or another brand & asking what kind of deal they can cut you on the quote?

If you asked me why I have other pieces of equipment (reverse hyper, GHR, Seated Row, 45° hyper), I can give you the exact reasons I use those pieces & what movements I use them for. If you cannot do that, don't waste your money. For most people a GHR is going to collect dust because most people cannot do a single GHR rep.

Do you really love lifting? I mean love it as in, you feel like crap & you still drag yourself to the gym to kill a workout/training session when you don't want to. If this is the case, then go for it. A lot of newbies are gung ho about it, then drop off when noobie gains cease to exist. If you're only left with hard work & love the grind, then you know what you need to do.
    Crews: Ivanko Barbell Crew #52, York Barbell Club #95, Equipment Crew #59
    Lifts no one cares about:
    SQ: 619x1 (suit bottoms, no belt) / 507x1 (raw, no belt)
    BP: 392x1 (pause bench, raw)
    DL: 500x1 (suit bottoms, no belt)

jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jmb66 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Greybird2 View Post
    What type of training do you currently do?
    Mostly kettlebells. I have bunch of them. Also road bike, so I have relatively strong legs.
    After reading: Practical Programming for Strength Training, Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Trainig, Barbell Prescription-Training over 40, and listening to all Rippletoe's podcasts, I want to build my home gym and do barbell training.
    I don't like public gyms for many reasons. Also my son was lifting weights in college for couple of years, so I plan to exercise with him (at least we will spend some time together). I don't expect miracles at 50, but I need to get stronger. Too much pain everywhere (mostly back, some in knees). My doctor says that if my back will get stronger, it will be more stable and less painful. Also, I need to lose weight.
    I get this feedback from many (mostly my family): join gym, go slowly, don't spend money.
    At 50 I know myself enough to know it won't work for me. I saved some money and instead buying some stupid toys (like motorcycle (sold it few years ago), boat, new car, etc.) I decided to invest in a quality gym. I negotiated with my wife 60% of our 2-car garage. I know, what works for me is a jumpstart and commitment. If I do something I usually overdo it - but isn't bodybuilding one massive overdo? I like quality tools, so this is why I am ready to pay extra for Rogue.
    At this point my concern is that I just get the right stuff.
    Regards.

Good advice. Thanks. I may cut the non-essential stuff and just focus on major equipment.

Originally Posted by C123C View Post
    A few thoughts without doing major research and I don't see experience/goals etc..so I'll just assume.

1) For dumbbells you can get Powerblock or Ironmaster for the same price as the 5-50 and rack set. You'll get these to 90 or 120. Better use of funds and space unless you are wedded to singles and BTW - if you are buying a Monster rack 50lbs is NOT enough.
    2) For the reverse hyper, forget the roller attachment unless you are short. Everyone 5'10" or above and maybe shorter than that too has it lock up on them and jam their femurs into their hip sockets. Unusable. I have a custom mod I'm testing out now that might change that but for now forget it. Most like the strap more anyway. Also I'm not confident the rack attached RH can be mounted to the RM-6 or RML-6 and not have you lose functionality or something with placement of j cups etc....Watch out for this.
    3) I'd add a safety squat bar and maybe rack handles to go with it.
    Thanks. I am removing the hyper roller attachment. Also, will look at cheaper dumbbells.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    jmb,

I'm a former roadie and even went through the kettlebell stage.

My advice would be to get a good rack, flat bench, plates (maybe bumpers) and a good barbell first. Set your spending limit at $2k or so. Work through the novice progression on the barbell lifts (at least 1 year) and then see where you are at and what additional equipment you want to buy.

Initially:

Rogue Rack
    Rogue Flat Bench
    Rogue Bar (I would suggest the B&R)
    Plates (maybe bumpers although at our age the Oly lifts start to become an iffy prospect)
    Stall Mats
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000) ivanhoek1 is just really nice. (+1000)

Thanks,
    J.B.

Rogue Curl Bar - 195$
    You need more plates! Maybe combine those training bumpers with regular iron plates? 320lbs will become not enough very quick.

gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gym62richard has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    This.

If you are new to lifting, OP, a rack, FID bench & a 300 lb weight set are enough. You need to learn the movement patters first. You can get a lot of work done without a ton of equipment.
    Noobies don't need:
    1. Dumbbells
    2. Monolift
    3. GHD
    4. Reverse Hyper
    8. Abmat?!

If you are serious (I cannot stress this point enough), then consider dropping coin on a good rack. I ignore the notion that a cheap rack is fine. yes, you can make tons of gains, but if you plan on keeping the rack for the rest of your life, get the right one the first time. Depending on where you are, you can get a 6 post Reflex power rack for about the same price as Rogue's RM-6 (not that the RM-6 is bad), barring shipping. You'll spend most of your time training in & around your rack. This is not a place to go cheap. I disagree entirely with getting a rack that lacks UHMW. Shame on Rogue for selling the RML-690 w/o it. It's a good rack, but UHMW is a deal breaker for a lot of us. I, for one, do not like seeing my j-cups & bar get a lot of undue wear because they were too cheap to add $20 to $50 worth of UHMW to the rack.

As you move in a certain direction, bodybuilding, powerlifting, power building, olympic weightlifting, crossfit (don't do crossfit), you'll know what equipment you'll need to fix whatever weaknesses you have, be it strength or aesthetically speaking. By then, another black Friday will roll around & you can pick up a piece or two with free shipping. There's also the used market where far better deals can be found for those patient enough.

This whole shipping thing is a little overboard. A lot of companies will cut you some slack with shipping that much equipment. I have a $450 discount on a quote because it's a package discount. I hate paying shipping as much as you, but you're throwing away with a shove to save with a spoon. There will hit a point with any company that they'll want to cut you a deal to much a lot of equipment. Have you looked at getting a contact with Legend or another brand & asking what kind of deal they can cut you on the quote?

If you asked me why I have other pieces of equipment (reverse hyper, GHR, Seated Row, 45° hyper), I can give you the exact reasons I use those pieces & what movements I use them for. If you cannot do that, don't waste your money. For most people a GHR is going to collect dust because most people cannot do a single GHR rep.

Do you really love lifting? I mean love it as in, you feel like crap & you still drag yourself to the gym to kill a workout/training session when you don't want to. If this is the case, then go for it. A lot of newbies are gung ho about it, then drop off when noobie gains cease to exist. If you're only left with hard work & love the grind, then you know what you need to do.
    Mostly kettlebells. I have bunch of them. Also road bike, so I have relatively strong legs.
    After reading: Practical Programming for Strength Training, Starting Strength - Basic Barbell Trainig, Barbell Prescription-Training over 40, and listening to all Rippletoe's podcasts, I want to build my home gym and do barbell training.
    I don't like public gyms for many reasons. Also my son was lifting weights in college for couple of years, so I plan to exercise with him (at least we will spend some time together). I don't expect miracles at 50, but I need to get stronger. Too much pain everywhere (mostly back, some in knees). My doctor says that if my back will get stronger, it will be more stable and less painful. Also, I need to lose weight.
    I get this feedback from many (mostly my family): join gym, go slowly, don't spend money.
    At 50 I know myself enough to know it won't work for me. I saved some money and instead buying some stupid toys (like motorcycle (sold it few years ago), boat, new car, etc.) I decided to invest in a quality gym. I negotiated with my wife 60% of our 2-car garage. I know, what works for me is a jumpstart and commitment. If I do something I usually overdo it - but isn't bodybuilding one massive overdo? I like quality tools, so this is why I am ready to pay extra for Rogue.
    At this point my concern is that I just get the right stuff.
    Regards.
    Good advice. Thanks. I may cut the non-essential stuff and just focus on major equipment.
    SK is absolutely correct, given your experience,stick to a basic set up, rack, bench, bar and weights, don't skimp on these items, this equipment will form the foundation of your gym for years to come.

Originally Posted by gym62richard View Post
    SK is absolutely correct, given your experience,stick to a basic set up, rack, bench, bar and weights, don't skimp on these items, this equipment will form the foundation of your gym for years to come.
    I'd even go one step further: having all of the other stuff may become a distraction because people obviously want to use their new equipment. With all of the options there, it could really distract from focusing on core lifts and focusing on perfecting form on the core lifts.

The more I think about it, ordering more may actually result in a net negative when it comes to starting training.
    {5'7" and under #1}

chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) chadsalt is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Plenty of good advice here, keep in mind saving a few hundred on shipping now will pale to the thousands you will loose if this equipment turns dusty and ends​ up on Craigslist.

Side rant; spending $1096 on 357.5# of plates as a newbie is stupidity. That sort of price per# pound is for some one who knows EXACTLY what they want and WHY they want it.
    SQ 475# 5/26/17 wraps
    BP 340# 7/13/19 paused
    DL 455# 10/19/19 beltless
    OHP 205# 1/12/19

()---() York Barbell Club #72 ()---()
    ──<//>─<\\>── BWTG Cluster #15 ──<//>─<\\>──
    [M]====[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #32 â–ª[M]====[6]
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #70▪█─────█▪ 

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9015131&d=1541967331

vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by keyboardworkout View Post
    jmb,

I'm a former roadie and even went through the kettlebell stage.

My advice would be to get a good rack, flat bench, plates (maybe bumpers) and a good barbell first. Set your spending limit at $2k or so. Work through the novice progression on the barbell lifts (at least 1 year) and then see where you are at and what additional equipment you want to buy.

Initially:

Rogue Rack
    Rogue Flat Bench
    Rogue Bar (I would suggest the B&R)
    Plates (maybe bumpers although at our age the Oly lifts start to become an iffy prospect)
    Stall Mats
    If you get bumpers make sure you get a deadlift jack for deadlift. Like thejosef said I would focus on Big 5 ( Squat, bench, Deadlift , OHP and Barbell Rows) and would start with something like strong lifts 5X5 program and see how for you can go. Unlike me if you are consistent then you will have good idea after 12 weeks.

Please make sure you get smaller plates along with bumpers if you get bumpers and no need for fractional plates.

For that above mentioned equipment is quiet sufficient. No need for adjustable bench yet.

I have have and read the 2 books (Starting Strength and barbell prescription over 40) you mentioned but i think starting with strong lifts and eventually transitioning to programs mentioned in those books is not a bad idea.

For rack I would go with the one that can take 5/8th (RML) hardware not 1 inch ( RM-6).
    [M]===[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #35 â–ª[M]===[6]

[]------[] York Barbell Club #80 (DD)[]-----[]

Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Synthetickiller View Post
    This.

Noobies don't need:
    1. Dumbbells
    2. Monolift
    3. GHD
    4. Reverse Hyper
    8. Abmat?!

OP

This my friend is great advice. Please heed these words👍

vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000) vhd16 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by chadsalt View Post

Side rant; spending $1096 on 357.5# of plates as a newbie is stupidity. That sort of price per# pound is for some one who knows EXACTLY what they want and WHY they want it.
    If you are starting , you should not pay more than 50 to 60 cents/lb for plates which means used. If you need to have absolutely new plates, I would get Troy Go plates which I think are decently prices for a new plates and have pretty good reviews here.

Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000) Nebamartinez is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by cwcmac View Post
    I'd even go one step further: having all of the other stuff may become a distraction because people obviously want to use their new equipment. With all of the options there, it could really distract from focusing on core lifts and focusing on perfecting form on the core lifts.

The more I think about it, ordering more may actually result in a net negative when it comes to starting training.
    OP this^^^

Agreed 💯 %

thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) thejosef is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by cwcmac View Post

I agree totally.
    Equipment Crew #68, Ivanko Crew #47, Rogue Barbell Club #7, Mech6 Crew #30
    7'x18' Home Gym: http://goo.gl/CBphUy
    Best Lifts @ 153 bw: Sq 320, BP 245, DL 320, Press 155

bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bobcat255 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Lots of good advice in this thread... there's so much equipment out there, it's hard to recommend something, not even knowing what you're into. However, I've compiled a list which I think will work universally. The list I'm giving you is what I would spend MY money on, if I had your budget.

The pieces I selected are a good sweet spot between price and quality. As you're aware, if you want just utility, you can get a rack for half the price, ditto bar and everything else.

First, you need to build some type of platform. If you want, you can also buy one. If you don't feel like building something, then you can get something like this: http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue8x8-oly-platform for ~$500 + shipping and use your own plywood in the middle.

Next:

RM-6 Monster Rack
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-rm...nster-rack-2-0
    - 90” Height
    - 43” Monster Beam w/Gusset
    - XM-433 Monster Fat/Skinny
    - Monster Sandwich J-Cup Pair
    - Monster Flip-Down Safeties
    Total: $2105

Monster Single Bar Holder
    http://www.roguefitness.com/monster-single-bar-holder
    $64

American Barbell Elite Power Bar
    https://americanbarbell.com/products...lite-power-bar
    $450

EliteFTS Scholastic Bench (in a matching color to the rack, black gripper top)
    https://www.elitefts.com/elitefts-e-...-together.html
    $189

COLLARS (pick one - I have LockJaw knockoffs for $12 which have been great):
    OSO Barbell Collars
    http://www.roguefitness.com/oso-barbell-collars
    $50

And/or

Lockjaw Collars
    https://www.amazon.com/Lock-Jaw-Barb.../dp/B00GNI81A4
    $32.99

WEIGHTS (pick one). If you want to save money, go Rep. If you want calibrated, go Rogue Calibrated, otherwise if you have no specific needs, then Ivanko is what I'd buy.

Ivanko OMEZH 455lb set (I would get rid of the set of 35’s and get an extra set of 45’s)
    http://www.dumbbellbuddy.com/ivanko/...ft_plates.html
    $1193 shipped

Rep Fitness set (same plate combo as Ivanko above)
    https://www.repfitness.com/bars-plat...olympic-plates
    ~$800 shipped

Rogue Calibrated plates (same plate combo as above)
    http://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ca...b-steel-plates
    ~$1300 shipped

Depending on some of the options you choose above, you'll spend approximately ~4-4.5k. That setup can last you forever, but if after some time lifting you decide you're missing something, you can always buy it with all the money you've saved. If you decide lifting isn't for you, the stuff above will sell like hotcakes on CraigsList too.
    USAPL RAW Competitor
    >500/>300/>600

â–ª[M]====[6]â–ª Mech6 Crew #25 â–ª[M]====[6]â–ª
    []---[] Ivanko Barbell Crew #100 []---[]

>Flooring
    Yes, this is a pre-requisite before I buy anything. Planned to do just like a guy with name "Pando" (or similar) did in YouTube video.
    I got a good advice in this thread to do 3 layers instead of 2. I will do it. Someone adviced additional layer of plywood- I was actually curious about putting extra layer of horse mats.

Bobcat255 and others,

Thank you very much for ton of useful information. I am reading everything very carefully and will research all of it. First, without a question I will build a solid platform in my garage.
    Best regards,
    Jb.

>Flooring
    Yes, this is a pre-requisite before I buy anything. Planned to do just like a guy with name "Pando" (or similar) did in YouTube video.
    I got a good advice in this thread to do 3 layers instead of 2. I will do it. Someone adviced additional layer of plywood- I was actually curious about putting extra layer of horse mats.
    If you put 2, 3/4" plywood (4X8) and then one 3/4" stall mat on top it that is plenty for even for deadlifts even when you want to drop the weight.

For the rack (around it and inside it), I think 1, 3/4" + 1, 3/4" is plenty. You will have safeties. Lot of people just have one 3/4" stall mat for flooring or you can have the rolled rubber flooring which is more $$.

irongranpa just did his flooring with the rolled rubber flooring. Check his posting in Look what i bought today thread.