Crewlife is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Exclamation Cut or bulk first?

I row competitively and I'm wanting to lose some body fat, and I currently sit at 28%, weigh 169, and am 5'10 female. However, my coach told me that she doesn't want me to lose weight. She wants me to gain muscle and told me that the best rowers weigh close to 200lbs. My concern is that she wants me to eat a surplus of calories, but I know my body well enough to understand that it will just store everything as fat. Therefore making it much more difficult to actually gain muscle without gaining fat. It's the beginning of race season, and I fear that cutting calories will decrease energy or even cause muscle loss. I'm wanting to know if I should proceed with the bulking or cut calories first? Thanks

unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) unplugged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Crewlife View Post
    I row competitively and I'm wanting to lose some body fat, and I currently sit at 28%, weigh 169, and am 5'10 female. However, my coach told me that she doesn't want me to lose weight. She wants me to gain muscle and told me that the best rowers weigh close to 200lbs. My concern is that she wants me to eat a surplus of calories, but I know my body well enough to understand that it will just store everything as fat. Therefore making it much more difficult to actually gain muscle without gaining fat. It's the beginning of race season, and I fear that cutting calories will decrease energy or even cause muscle loss. I'm wanting to know if I should proceed with the bulking or cut calories first? Thanks
    well it will to some extent. The bottom line is you have to choose whats right for YOU and what YOU want to do not your coach. Your coach seems quite daft though to be honest telling you to gain weight just to improve your rowing performance. With that being said you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you know what is needed to loose fat: A sensible deficit with resistance training to preserve lbm. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose!
    The Deadlift is the ultimate fight of you VS the bar.

you can't half rep a deadlift.
    you can't bounce a deadlift.
    you can't arch to get an easier deadlift.
    you won't have a spotter to help the hard part of a deadlift.

there's just you, some heavy ass weight, and your b!tch ass having to pick it up.

2011 NPC Eastern USA's XCriticalBenchX's Avatar
    XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) XCriticalBenchX has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by unplugged View Post
    well it will to some extent. The bottom line is you have to choose whats right for YOU and what YOU want to do not your coach. Your coach seems quite daft though to be honest telling you to gain weight just to improve your rowing performance. With that being said you seem to have a good head on your shoulders and you know what is needed to loose fat: A sensible deficit with resistance training to preserve lbm. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you choose!

This, could not agree more with this here!!!

Mike
    ….