LuthorLex is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Just now getting serious about fitness, I have so many questions!

Hi everyone, I've been working out 5-6 days a week (strength training mainly) since last October. I have seen a lot of muscle gain and I've definitely become stronger. My problem is, i'm gaining so much muscle, but I've been gaining fat along with it. I know you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but with my extremely active lifestyle I figured my fat percentage would remain about the same.

A little background: I'm a 22 year old female, around 130 lbs. My typical strength day meals consist of whole wheat oatmeal and maybe an egg for breakfast, chicken rice and veggies for lunch, a bandanna or nuts before my workout, preworkout 30 mins before, protein less than 30 mins after, and dinner is usually fish or a salad. I noticed the fat gain once I started adding more carbs, but before I added the carbs I would get dizzy and nearly faint during my workouts.

Should I be taking other supplements? Am I supposed to be taking in so many carbs? I love healthy food and have come to enjoy working out a lot, I would say my only weakness is that I usually have a drink or two (beer or whiskey) a night with dinner but I know that can't be the main cause of it all, although I'm sure it isn't helping.

I also know that adding cardio or HIIT into my workouts would help with the fat, but I have worked so hard for the muscle I don't want to lose it. I typically have 1 day per week where I do full body workouts such as dead lifts, squats, power cleans, etc. Is this enough cardio?

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue and what you did to solve it, thanks!

AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) AfroPope has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by LuthorLex View Post
    Hi everyone, I've been working out 5-6 days a week (strength training mainly) since last October. I have seen a lot of muscle gain and I've definitely become stronger. My problem is, i'm gaining so much muscle, but I've been gaining fat along with it. I know you can't build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but with my extremely active lifestyle I figured my fat percentage would remain about the same.
    If you've only recently started it isn't uncommon to gain muscle and lose fat.

A little background: I'm a 22 year old female, around 130 lbs. My typical strength day meals consist of whole wheat oatmeal and maybe an egg for breakfast, chicken rice and veggies for lunch, a bandanna or nuts before my workout, preworkout 30 mins before, protein less than 30 mins after, and dinner is usually fish or a salad. I noticed the fat gain once I started adding more carbs, but before I added the carbs I would get dizzy and nearly faint during my workouts.

Should I be taking other supplements? Am I supposed to be taking in so many carbs?
    You should not be eating a piece of fabric before your workout.

We have no idea how many carbs you are taking in as you have not calculated this information nor provided it to us.

Should I be taking other supplements? Am I supposed to be taking in so many carbs? I love healthy food and have come to enjoy working out a lot, I would say my only weakness is that I usually have a drink or two (beer or whiskey) a night with dinner but I know that can't be the main cause of it all, although I'm sure it isn't helping.
    Two beers per night is abso-****ing-LUTELY contributing to your fat gain.

I also know that adding cardio or HIIT into my workouts would help with the fat, but I have worked so hard for the muscle I don't want to lose it.
    Cardio does not kill gains.

typically have 1 day per week where I do full body workouts such as dead lifts, squats, power cleans, etc.
    Your routine sounds like a disaster.

Is this enough cardio?
    Is what enough cardio?

I just want to know if anyone else has had a similar issue and what you did to solve it, thanks!
    I logged out of the Supplements subforum, calculated my macronutrient needs, tracked them, had the discipline to stick to them, and ate in such a fashion while working a proven strength training program. I strongly advise you do the same.
    ***THE AFRO POPE: "The Man Who Never Gets Mad Online"***

Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jziggy44 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

I also know that adding cardio or HIIT into my workouts would help with the fat, but I have worked so hard for the muscle I don't want to lose it. I typically have 1 day per week where I do full body workouts such as dead lifts, squats, power cleans, etc. Is this enough cardio?

you can build muscle and lose fat at the same time
    Lets Go Pens!