Location: Cinderford, Gloucestershire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Wife has expressed an interest in starting weight training, advice?

It has taken almost three years for my wife to partake in what I do, but I am still surprised she has expressed an interest.

She joined a gym a month ago, and has been going to a few classes (Legs. Bums and Tums type of thing).

She (and her friend who she goes with) have asked me to show them a simple weights routine next Sunday, and write down what they should do. My wife isn't fat at all and she wants to 'tone up'. I am not sure the standard keep fit classes cut it for serious toning - they just seem to 'flail around' to pop songs!

She is 46 (her friend is mid-20's). My immediate thought was a simple 5x5 routine, with Squats, Bench, O/H Press, Rows and Deadlifts, starting with 3x5 rather than 5x5.

Is this a good idea, or would a more varied workout utilising dumbbells more be better?

Thank you

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by chriswatton66 View Post
    It has taken almost three years for my wife to partake in what I do, but I am still surprised she has expressed an interest.

She joined a gym a month ago, and has been going to a few classes (Legs. Bums and Tums type of thing).

She (and her friend who she goes with) have asked me to show them a simple weights routine next Sunday, and write down what they should do. My wife isn't fat at all and she wants to 'tone up'. I am not sure the standard keep fit classes cut it for serious toning - they just seem to 'flail around' to pop songs!

She is 46 (her friend is mid-20's). My immediate thought was a simple 5x5 routine, with Squats, Bench, O/H Press, Rows and Deadlifts, starting with 3x5 rather than 5x5.

Is this a good idea, or would a more varied workout utilising dumbbells more be better?

Thank you
    That's about exactly what my wife does when it's warm enough to use the garage gym. Warm-ups then 3x5-6 for work sets for compounds then she likes to add in her own extra stuff. She's doing P90X now inside since it's too cold for the garage gym and she likes it. If she decides she doesn't like the intensity required to make those low rep sets count just increase the rep range to 8-10, but stick with the basic compounds.

chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) chriswatton66 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Thanks, Plateauplower.

The gym she has joined isn't far from where she works, so she normally goes when she has finished. I joined the same gym to do a few workouts at the weekend, when my wife goes, although like you, I have a garage gym with everything we could ever need. (But in the Winter months, it is damn cold)!

So, a 3x5 (to start with), it is then. I just hope they have a lighter bar than the standard 20kg type, as I think they would struggle with the O/H Press with a 20kg starting weight..

leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000) leelameema is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks, Plateauplower.

The gym she has joined isn't far from where she works, so she normally goes when she has finished. I joined the same gym to do a few workouts at the weekend, when my wife goes, although like you, I have a garage gym with everything we could ever need. (But in the Winter months, it is damn cold)!

So, a 3x5 (to start with), it is then. I just hope they have a lighter bar than the standard 20kg type, as I think they would struggle with the O/H Press with a 20kg starting weight..
    Most gyms have one inch bars for the ladies . 👍🏼

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks, Plateauplower.

Yea I bought a 5' bar for OHP for the wife, if the gym doesn't have a shorty bar sub in DB OHP (standing) until she can press the barbell. Start her off light and make sure she gets the form down for everything. I didn't think my wife would take to lifting "heavy" but once she got going she got hooked on getting stronger on squats, deads etc. As mentioned my wife likes to incorporate things I would leave out, like cable machine leg ISO stuff and some other random stuff she picked up from who knows where, but she does those at the end as the "treat" for doing the real work. Form is everything getting her started right though. Full depth squats, safe/effective DL technique etc.

Thanks again PP and leelameema. I really hope she enjoys it. I have a 5 foot bar at home, a remnant from my initial foray into weight training, buying all the wrong stuff!

x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) x-trainer ben has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks again PP and leelameema. I really hope she enjoys it. I have a 5 foot bar at home, a remnant from my initial foray into weight training, buying all the wrong stuff!
    Just make sure that her form is *spot on* or she could get injured which will sink the entire plan.
    There is an unspoken thing, we are iron brothers and sisters, we are to support each other and...It is our duty to support our brothers and sisters in the iron game!

SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) SugarFree1 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    To hell with her going with her friend, thats time you two could spend together. I used to love the time I spent w my wife working out. Granted I didnt like working out together at the same time but would do my workout myself then stay with her and spot when needed
    Disabled Combat Veteran (11B)
    My Home Gym Thread: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160414931

Absolutely! Form and breathing must be perfected before anything else. I was thinking for warm ups doing Back Extensions, as they warm up the lower back and give the whole posterior a good stretch before doing Squats.

crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) crupiea has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You could be a professional weightlifter who wrote the actual book on the subject but no matter what you tell them, you will be wrong.

just help her with a few exercises so she can see which ones she likes and let her alone. If she shows interest in certain ones then encourage that. otherwise its just knocking your head against the wall most times.
    "To be a warrior is not a simple matter of wishing to be one. It is rather an endless struggle that will go on to the very last moment of our lives. Nobody is born a warrior, in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other."-- Carlos Castaneda

polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    My wife follows my routine, we go together a couple times a week. We like being in the gym at the same time but operate at difference cadence's. She is just killing it again I am so proud of her. Prior to getting prego she was in extremely good shape. Now that Zoey is older she has been back at it since Dec. and actually pushes me.
    My journal, not detailed, but heck I never keep track of much anyhow. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121196291&p=863931421#post863931421

leader in trailing technology

kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) kitpapa has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    You could be a professional weightlifter who wrote the actual book on the subject but no matter what you tell them, you will be wrong.

just help her with a few exercises so she can see which ones she likes and let her alone. If she shows interest in certain ones then encourage that. otherwise its just knocking your head against the wall most times.
    Gee I was just about to say the same thing about my husband when I started him on his routine 6 weeks ago...
    Owner of So-B-Fit
    CPT

IG: stephaniesobien

NPC WPD and WNPF, Metal Militia powerlifter

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    it is tricky business coaching your wife. Obviously it is hard to judge, your personal situation might be better, with mutual trust and stuff like that, but I would suggest you stay away from her completely and let her do her thing, or bite a bullet and talk her into taking a few sessions with PT. Ladies notoriously have their own ideas about training, and they always want to change their bodies by trying to "build here, burn some fat here" etc. Like suggested above, your help have to be very tactful and minimal.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by kitpapa View Post
    Gee I was just about to say the same thing about my husband when I started him on his routine 6 weeks ago...
    Spouses training spouses can get weird quick!

Send her here OP: Beginner's Guide to Female Bodybuilding and Fitness
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by crupiea View Post
    If we take away the spouse factor though, and just say she's a novice lifter, isn't what novices need is structure?

I don't see a lot of novices on these forums getting advised to just try exercises and see what they like. They are usually told to pick an established novice program that tells them exactly what to do, and follow it as written.

Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Cudacke has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I think for starter it is better to start with a higher raps with lower weights so they can better feel the intend muscle usage.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Good!
    Encourage her and have her take it slowly.
    My wife did the same thing and in a little over two years she lost 100 pounds.
    I started her off simply laying on her back and then having her stand up and back down and repeat for five minutes.
    That hits many areas of the body and is a good functional movement and harder than it sounds.
    You should have her try it.
    We progressed from easy bodyweight to weights over time.
    Dont be in a rush and stress functional things like lunges,squats deadlifts,pushups ect.
    Good luck.

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    If she's not fit or unused to the basic moves start bodyweight

Like rather than squatting with a bar, just bw squats and if she can't do that sit down stand up on a box or a bench ..if you go too hard she may give up before she starts ...

Buy her a book like Strong Curves (Brett Contreras)

You're right a programme like stronglifts is fine too if that's where she is mentally or starting strength

Personally I'd hate for my husband to train with me.. but he's a cyclist so that ain't happening

Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sweetums6000 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    If she's not fit or unused to the basic moves start bodyweight

Like rather than squatting with a bar, just bw squats and if she can't do that sit down stand up on a box or a bench ..if you go too hard she may give up before she starts ...
    Good point. My wife could not squat the bar to depth when she started. So I had her follow the steps in this video and she was able to work up to it. It took her a couple months but she got there.

You're right a programme like stronglifts is fine too if that's where she is mentally or starting strength
    We did stronglifts together but she could not keep up with the aggressive progression, even with using micro plates to slow it down.

She ended up taking several months off because of an unrelated surgery, so she's probably back at square one again. If/when she gives it another try, I think I'm going to suggest AllPro for her. Hopefully she'll be able to handle the slower double progression scheme better than the straight linear progression.

https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=169172473

Thank you for all of the advice. We will be heading to the gym on Sunday morning. She has already been doing sessions (not weight training) for a few weeks now, and seems to really enjoy it. So much so that she's bought a Fitbit and some whey powder!

I figured that starting on 3x5 rather than 5x5 would be better, and will be quite a short routine (30 minutes or so), dipping her toe in the water rather than trying to drown her..

bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bisonp is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I tried to get my wife to do the basics for years but could never convince her. Then when she finally decided she wanted to be stronger she found some videos online, including a lot of Rippetoe ones. He's evidently a lot more convincing than I am because she's off and running now.

It's sometimes hard to overcome the fitness industry's absolute bombardment of fad programs and isolation moves, not to mention all the myths and assumptions about women and strength training. A couple months of steady progression makes it a lot easier to see through the BS.

Bit of an update, my wife seems to be enjoying it, and now my 21 year old step-daughter has started weight training! She goes to her local gym Tuesday and Thursdays, using a personal trainer and then does a workout here in my garage/gym. She is really enjoying this!

ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Bit of an update, my wife seems to be enjoying it, and now my 21 year old step-daughter has started weight training! She goes to her local gym Tuesday and Thursdays, using a personal trainer and then does a workout here in my garage/gym. She is really enjoying this!

That's great, man. My wife started lifting shortly after I started about 18 months ago, and she's a fanatic now. She'll wake up at 5 am to squat, deadlift, and press. It gets in your blood.

Humble Megalomaniac ElrondHubbard's Avatar
    ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ElrondHubbard has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

Good news! She found the right kind of addiction.
    “Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
    -Voltaire

Thanks guys

The whole of my immediate family now does some kind of weight training, and I didn't even talk them into it!

One thing I'm not sure of regarding Kirsten (the girl in the pictures) is her PT, she tells me he gets her to do mainly isolation stuff for biceps and triceps, but my gut instinct is to keep her on the main compounds, as she said she wants to get more toned but also stronger (she loves horse-riding and doing shows, so that may come in useful). When she does her workout at home, I get her to do the standard 5x5 routine, and she loves that, especially the Deadlift!

However, I am just astonished she's started this at all!