Thread: Lifting safely

Wackyrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lifting safely

Backstory - 6 years ago I had an L5/S1 microdiscectomy to remove a very large disc fragment from my sciatic nerve. Since then and lots out PT I got comfortably back into lifting. The only two lifts I was advised by my neurosurgeon, PT and Strength coach to avoid was traditional back/front squats and traditional dead lifts. Unilateral work such as single leg RDLs and BSS stuff has been my mainstay leg work. Along with a lot of other similar things.
    I also have to avoid any rotational work.

I am now undergoing treatment for another disc issue. This time not as severe right now but also not fun. Herniation at L5/S1 crushing the sciatic nerve. Surgeon says this is minor compared to what I had last time and he will avoid surgery at all cost. Had an epidural steroid injection yesterday and back to PT next week.

So..... I am looking to do my homework. When I do get back into things, slowly, I want to completely focus on lifting with my back restrictions in mind. Unilateral work for my legs, properly braced upper body work, core work absent any rotation.
    Any resources you can share or advice? And I don't mean just lower body. More thinking along the lines of full workout and advice for doing it right.

Thanks

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Any unilateral work has a rotation factor with it that is stabilized by the core so i don't think your completely safe even with those.
    Body weight movements could be the answer for you right now.
    With your issues instead of asking here i would have these questions for your doctor or physical therapist to give you the correct answer for you personally.
    People here for the most part are not medical professionals and can only speculate with an answer including myself.
    Good luck.

Wackyrig is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Garage Rat View Post
    Any unilateral work has a rotation factor with it that is stabilized by the core so i don't think your completely safe even with those.
    Body weight movements could be the answer for you right now.
    With your issues instead of asking here i would have these questions for your doctor or physical therapist to give you the correct answer for you personally.
    People here for the most part are not medical professionals and can only speculate with an answer including myself.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. Valid point and I realize that. I do start back to PT next week and even with a Strength Coach for my lifting once I can start back. The unilateral work has done me well since the surgery. But you are right. I have to realize this is a step back and regress a bit even in those things.
    I guess I was looking for some resources (links) or routines that are based around a similar issue. I would never jump AP into anything without vetting it out.
    Thanks again.