AustinTerra is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Am I doing well or could I do better?

I have been working out consistently 6 days a week or even more up to almost 2 weeks straight since September 2nd 2016 I am also 20 years old 5'7 currently my workout is something like

chest/tris
    flatbench: 5 sets x 5 reps
    dips 4 sets: x 10 reps
    incline bench: 5 sets x 5-10 reps
    decline bench: 5 sets x 5 reps
    dumbbell flys or cable flys: 5 sets x 10 reps
    close grip bench: 5 sets x 5 reps
    tricep pulldown: 5 sets x 10 reps
    behind the head tricep extension: 5 reps x 10
    sometimes more sets of bench or incline bench

back/bi
    deadlift 5 sets x 5 reps
    close grip pullups and wide grip I just try to get a 15 of each
    lat pulldown 4 sets x 10
    cable rows 4 sets x 10
    t bar rows 4 sets x 10
    standing barbell curl 4 x 10
    bicep curl with supination 4 sets x 10
    hammer curls 2 sets to failure with partial reps

shoulders
    seated military benchpress 5 sets x 5
    lateral raises 4 sets x 10
    front dumbell raise 4 sets x 10
    arnold press 4 sets x 10
    upright rows 4 sets x 10
    facepulls 4 sets x 10
    one other rear delt movement for 4 sets x 10

leg day
    squats 5 sets x 5
    leg press 4 sets x 15
    standing and seated calves for each 5 sets x 20
    laying leg curls 4 sets x 10
    sitting leg curls 4 sets x 10
    inner and outer thighs for each 4 sets x 10

how could I improve my workout? if you have any suggestions I would absolutely love to hear them

since September ive went from struggling with 95 probably even failing 5 reps of it to doing 195 for 4 reps recently
    my deadlift went from struggling at 165 to 5 reps of 315
    my military bench went from struggling with 85 to 5 reps of 135
    my squat went from 95 to 235

so far I feel like it has been going extremely well but whenever I talk to all the long time gym goers that are all lifting tons and what not say pretty much the opposite that I should do low sets and higher reps

should I keep things up? I know I do a lot of reps for a beginner but I think since I am consistently going up in weight on almost everything since I added more carbs to my diet recently I couldnt possibly be overtraining

also are these numbers good for how long I have been lifting for or could they be better? my goal is to get much higher weights but also build a lot of muscle currently I am focused on strength before I up my reps to focus more on building up muscle
    Last edited by AustinTerra; 03-10-2017 at 05:50 PM.

Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sloan2015 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As you said, you're focused on strength atm, so I would just focus on making sure your compound 5x5 lifts are increasing in weight over time, and the strength will come along with it. The programming itself is quite a fair amount of weekly volume considering you're doing this twice per week but nothing crazy, as its actually not too dissimilar from what I do weekly.

As far as the long time gym goers go, there's a reason why they've been lifting tons. They've been in the game for a long time. THe weights they lift for reps aren't going to be the ones you do, as you're still relatively new, but making good progress nonetheless.

At the end of the day though, when you're in this for the long run, there comes a point at which you simply have to listen to your body. If you're feeling like you may approach a point where you're feeling beaten-down, take a deload week.

It's recommended (But not necessary depending on your tolerance, everyone is different.), that a deload is taken anywhere between every 4-8 weeks but these are just rough numbers. You're making good progress though so keep it up!
    YouTube: Slightweightfitness
    IG: @Slightweightfitness
    FB: Slightweightfitness

JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000) JamesPT is just really nice. (+1000)
    If your goal is to get stronger and build muscle:

1. During your sessions do your compound movements FIRST before moving onto isolation exercises AFTERWARDS.

2. On your compound movements do 5 sets 5 reps (or even 3 sets 6 reps if you have less time). On your isolation exercises do 3 sets 10 reps. NO MORE.

All of these 4-5 sets are pointless if you're trying to gain weight. 3 sets is more than enough. Do you really think you're gonna be able to stimulate any more growth or strength after 3 sets? That extra 4th and 5th set you're just unnecessarily burning through calories.

After an hour get out of the gym. This will make sure your volume isn't too high and ensure you're not spending extra time doing extra exercises you don't need.-