The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Ketogenic diet and brain focus

I'm currently studying the ketogenic diet, not because I have weight to lose ( I really don't), but because it interests me from a scientific point of view.

From reading some of the threads on this forum, I saw that a lot of people experience increased focus (less brain fog) while in ketosis. Now, most of what I could find regarding the nervous system and the ketogenic diet is related to its anti-convulsant effect for epilepsy. There are many hypothesis regarding this effect, but one of them has to do with a change in the balance between glutamate (the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain) and GABA (the main inhibitory neurotransmitter); the biosynthesis of the latter being increased at the expense of the former, therefore providing a calming, anti-convulsant effect [1].

This is where it has me confused, because I generally associate increased brain focus with caffeine, or medications such as ******** or Ritalin, which are all stimulants. So my question to those of you using the ketogenic diet is:
    How do you experience this increased brain focus? Do you feel more calm on it, so that maybe your brain is not "going 100 miles an hour" and you can focus on a single thing?

Thank you.

[1] Marc Yudkoff, Yevgeny Daikhin, Ilana Nissim, and Itzhak Nissim; The Ketogenic Diet - Interactions With Brain Amino Acid Handling, From: Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, Humana Press, 2004

ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10) ladimando is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by The_cannibal View Post
    I'm currently studying the ketogenic diet, not because I have weight to lose ( I really don't), but because it interests me from a scientific point of view.

From reading some of the threads on this forum, I saw that a lot of people experience increased focus (less brain fog) while in ketosis. Now, most of what I could find regarding the nervous system and the ketogenic diet is related to its anti-convulsant effect for epilepsy. There are many hypothesis regarding this effect, but one of them has to do with a change in the balance between glutamate (the main excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain) and GABA (the main inhibitory neurotransmitter); the biosynthesis of the latter being increased at the expense of the former, therefore providing a calming, anti-convulsant effect [1].

This is where it has me confused, because I generally associate increased brain focus with caffeine, or medications such as ******** or Ritalin, which are all stimulants. So my question to those of you using the ketogenic diet is:
    How do you experience this increased brain focus? Do you feel more calm on it, so that maybe your brain is not "going 100 miles an hour" and you can focus on a single thing?

Thank you.

[1] Marc Yudkoff, Yevgeny Daikhin, Ilana Nissim, and Itzhak Nissim; The Ketogenic Diet - Interactions With Brain Amino Acid Handling, From: Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, Humana Press, 2004

It is definitely a sense of calm, clarity and balance. There arent the ups and downs of being fueled by glucose because you basically have a "limitless" supply of brain energy available.
    Logs:
    Applied Nutriceuticals - Lipo/AM & Lipo/PM - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162782941&p=1263791861#post1263791861 (Ongoing)
    ProMera Sports - PEAK 400/Pump Extrem log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=162391361 (completed)

Reviews:
    Evogen Lipocide Review - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...post1260806721

Whether you think you can, or you think you cant, you're right.

Six Pack Fitness Brand Ambassador.

IG: ladimando13
    Twitter: ladimando

The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) The_cannibal is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ladimando View Post
    It is definitely a sense of calm, clarity and balance. There aren't the ups and downs of being fueled by glucose because you basically have a "limitless" supply of brain energy available.
    That's interesting. I got a very similar answer from a friend who is currently using a ketogenic diet: "calm and clarity". This seems to indicate that the "mechanisms" responsible for its anti-convulsant effects are also responsible for this added mental focus.

Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Rushie is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I also see better when in full keto. My vision is much sharper and colours are more vivid. Must be related to lack of brain fog.

necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50) necorbin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Agree with what's already been posted... Definitely "calmer" on keto. I can't say that I have a rush of energy, but my energy and mood are at a constant balance throughout the day.
    On Keto Since 4/1/16... Not Looking Back!

Currently cutting to my ultimate goal, follow my progress, and learn more on the keto lifestyle...

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theketolifter
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/theketolifter
    Twitter: https:/www.twitter.com/theketolifter
    ********: https://www.********.com/theketolifter

Eat. Lift. Profit!

Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Bodybuild3 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've noticed a couple things. I tend to be able to stay less stressed, and another huge thing is my hunger is never a big focal point. I can think about food a lot since I do enjoy it, but when I am hungry, it is a very subtle hunger. I think not having hunger and cravings constantly in your face might be a big part of the lack of brain fog. On high carb diets, I used to get so hungry that I would not be able to really do anything until I ate, and I would get in a worse mood.
    Donate to St. Jude: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173739861&page=1

Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173801781

Thank you for the input everyone.

Some of the effects related to "less hunger" or "more stable energy throughout the day" may be related more to increased energy reserves under chronic ketosis. I'm not gonna go into details unless some of you are interested in hearing about molecular biology, but you can get more details by searching for the references below (probably not an easy read, though). Leptin (the satiety hormone) may also have a word to say about it, but I haven't found much about whether leptin levels are lower or higher in ketosis, so it may have more to do with leptin signaling in the brain (?). [Further search on leptin expression reveal that it is upregulated by insulin; I would imagine insulin secretion to be much lower in ketosis, which would most likely result in lower levels of leptin, which would increase hunger, so it seems that the mechanism by which hunger is reduced in ketosis would be more complicated than I imagined. (Ahima RS, Flier JS; Leptin, Annu Rev Physiol. 2000;62:413-37)]

I'm not sure what to think about sharper vision... I'm not disputing your claim, but I wouldn't have an explanation for it.

- Douglas R. Nordli, Jr. and Darryl C. De Vivo, Effects of the Ketogenic Diet on Cerebral Energy Metabolism, From: Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, Humana Press, 2004
    - Tim E. Cullingford, Molecular Regulation of Ketogenesis, From: Epilepsy and the Ketogenic Diet, Humana Press, 2004
    - Devivo, D. C., Leckie, M. P., Ferrendelli, J. S. and McDougal, D. B. (1978), Chronic ketosis and cerebral metabolism, Ann Neurol., 3: 331–337
    - Bough, K. (2008), Energy metabolism as part of the anticonvulsant mechanism of the ketogenic diet, Epilepsia, 49: 91–93

(if you are not familiar with the citation notation, you can just enter the citation in Google Scholar, and it will provide you a link to the text).
    Last edited by The_cannibal; 03-10-2017 at 03:50 PM.

TomKetoer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yeah, I love reading books, and I've noticed that I can concentrate a lot better in the book reading while on the keto diet, than the traditional low fat high carbohydrates diets

Thank you.

gobylvr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would like to know if it is ok if the amount of protein exceeds the fat on the keto diet ?
    For instance 123 grams of protein and 84 grams of fat with a total calorie intake of 1304 .

Thanks

Originally Posted by gobylvr View Post
    I would like to know if it is ok if the amount of protein exceeds the fat on the keto diet ?
    For instance 123 grams of protein and 84 grams of fat with a total calorie intake of 1304 .

Thanks
    Sorry, wrong thread. This one is about mental focus in ketosis.
    Look at this thread: New to Keto? - Look Here First *Frequently Asked Questions*
    and
    Stupid Question thread

KetoCarol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KetoCarol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KetoCarol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KetoCarol has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thank you.

If you are interested the science behind keto, check this subreddit: /r/ketoscience/

taking March-No-Post pilz weiss1967's Avatar
    weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    to me it is mostly a mental stamina and ability to maintain focus on the subject for long time, hours sometimes.

1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 1outof10beta is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    I have directly split tested meditation both on keto and non-keto diets after seeing a quote by Tim Ferriss about deep ketosis and meditation, and I can confirm it is GOAT for meditation.

I also go into keto states when not on any diet at all - I follow intermittent fasting, the other day I forgot to eat at 2pm which is when my window starts, and I notice increased calmness, not only that but lately I have noticed a lot of feeling of bliss and love towards others, even strangers. As soon as I eat this state goes away.

I am starting keto again tomorrow for 3 weeks to see how deep into this blissfulness I can get.