Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

I WILL be fit again!! 2017 is just a start...

Hello everyone... not a newbie here, but probably am a newbie to most of you because of how long I've been gone.

I had started on this journey a year ago about this time, but I badly hurt my left shoulder. At 54, I'm NOT going to have surgery, so I spent a year rehabbing and getting fat. The most I had ever weighed in my LIFE was 263, about 20 years ago. Well, on Jan. 1, 2017, I got on the scales at 8 a.m. and weighed 267.5. That afternoon I was 270... and the next morning I was 268.5. I went down to my very nice gym in my basement on Jan. 1 and got it all cleaned up/straightened up/vacuumed, and on Jan. 2 I went down and did 4 sets of 12 squats, deadlifts, and bench presses. I have consistently worked out since then and was 256.5 this morning. Losing 12 pounds while lifting consistently is awesome!!!

My workouts have consisted of the big three twice a week, other regular body parts in a full body routine twice a week, and high HR cardio the others. I take a night off per week. I don't have a set, consistent routine because that's boring (even big three nights... sometimes I'll do 5 12s, sometimes 4 12s, and sometimes 5 8s with heavier weight).

I love using lifting as cardio, and I will superset a lot to keep the HR up.

I can use all the encouragement you guys can give me... my wife now wanting to lift helps a lot too!!!

I hope some of my old friends on here find this and follow along...
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit - you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I am in for sure! I look forward to seeing the creative ways you are going to use to reach your goals. Great start, now keep up the work!
    David, a 56 year old pastor, husband and father.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ptbrakefield is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bamazav View Post
    I am in for sure! I look forward to seeing the creative ways you are going to use to reach your goals. Great start, now keep up the work!
    Thanks David!!

Any of the other regs still around?

Can't wait until it warms up and I can get outside!!
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

"If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit - you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high but so are the rewards."

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bamazav has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ptbrakefield View Post
    Thanks David!!

Any of the other regs still around?

Can't wait until it warms up and I can get outside!!
    David (2ndChance) and Steve (Boflecks) make appearances now and then, both have had major life changes and are not logging regularly any more. Twitter and Instagram have moved many from the forums to social media.

1Co 9:27 But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified

Best Lifts - Squat 375lbs Bench 205 lbs Deadlift 470lbs. Goals in next year? Be the best Me I can be.

This weekend's workouts...

It will take me awhile to become accustomed to participating daily in my journal.

Saturday afternoon was pure cardio... I like doing what I call "around the clocks" on my Airdyne. I get a good warmup (at least 10 minutes), then, when the second hand hits 12, I go as hard as I can for 5 seconds, then pedal easy until it gets back to 12, then go hard for 10 seconds and easy for 50, then 15/45, 20/40, 25/35, and 30/30. Sometimes I'll go another round starting at 5 seconds, sometimes I'll go backwards to 25/35, 20/40, etc. This particular night I went backwards, then started two more rounds up and down for a total of four. This is not exactly HIIT, because the HR stays up for a much longer period of time. All I know is that it's killer.

Tonight was supposed to be a heavy, big three night, but I got started late, so instead of doing traditional squats, BPs, and DLs, I combo'd goblet squats and dumbbell BPs (5 sets of 12 each with about 30 seconds of rest) and then combo'd DLs and kettle bell swings (five sets of 12 each again with around 30 seconds of rest). This was a killer HR workout again, but it still was muscle tiring. With warmup, the whole workout was around 40 minutes. My HR was above 140 almost the whole time.

This satisfies me... I need to lose weight more than I need to build muscle right now, though I AM building muscle too.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

257 this morning. I'm going to start putting my Monday morning weight on here to help me remember exactly where I am week to week. All I know is that this is the first Monday since the beginning of January that my weight has been up over the previous Monday.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

I took yesterday off. Gotta have an off day every now and then, right?

Anyway, I did a lot of thinking yesterday and last night on my workouts and what I'm trying to accomplish. Right now I want to lose weight in the form of fat more than I want to build muscle. Yes, I know that muscle burns fat. I have A LOT of muscle. For whatever reason, my testosterone levels are still really high and I haven't lost any of the muscle that I had built up before getting injured last year... or at least very little of it.

I like lifting iron in a way that makes my HR get up there... Squats, deadlifts, power cleans, bent over rows, etc. As it warms up, I will get outside more. The ceiling in my weight room is too low to do anything involving a box, so I do all of that outside. I love to do box jumps, step ups, etc.

Anyway, for now, here's what I'm thinking of doing...

Workout A: Squats (been switching up 5x8, 4x12 and 5x12... whatever numbers I do I will do for all exercises for that day), flat barbell bench, standing ez bar curls (I alternate close and wide grip on different days), triceps pushdowns, seated DB shoulder presses, lat pulldowns.

Workout B: Deadlifts, leg extensions, lying leg curls, bent over rows, power cleans, incline DB bench, barbell curls.

I don't always do the same curls... sometimes hammers, sometimes standing alternating, etc. Variety keeps the body guessing!!! Also, sometimes, I'll do seated rows, or one arms with DBs...

Please critique this workout and let me know... I will have a day in between and will do cardio on most of them, sometimes killer and sometimes not. I listen to my body!!
    Last edited by ptbrakefield; 03-07-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Paul,
    You are doing great! Not much critique needed, just keep up working hard.

Paul,
    You are doing great! Not much critique needed, just keep up working hard.
    Thanks David. Still working on consistently good eating. The wife, since she started lifting with me, has realized how expensive it is to eat a good diet, LOL.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Last night's workout...

I'm going to put numbers in to make myself more accountable. I've basically been using ******** to post my workouts, when I worked out, but never numbers. In here I think listing the amount of weight lifted is important for honesty.

10 minute warmup on the Airdyne
    5 minute warmup on the Power Ryder, which gets the legs ready to squat.

Back squats: 110 x 8; 140 x 8; 160 x 8; 180 x 8; 190 x 8

Flat bench: 110 x 8; 120 x 8; 130 x 8; 120 x 8; 110 x 8- I'm extremely weak here because of my recent shoulder problems. I'm trying to take it easy so as not to injure myself to the point of not being able to lift my arm again. I do better with DB presses, so I mix them in also.

I do all of my machine exercises on my ancient Bowflex Extreme 2... it does what I need in this area. I never use it for major lifts, though my wife likes it...

Lat pulldowns: 300 x 8; 300 x 8; 360 x 8 x 3

DB shoulder presses: 35 x 8 x 5 sets. Again, I'm taking it easy on any exercises that stress my shoulder, so I'm building up my weight as I know I can handle it.

Standing EZ bar curls: 50 x 8 x 5 sets, leaning forward to keep the stress on the muscle. GREAT burn in my biceps. To make a note, my biceps are both over 19 inches; I'm not overly worried about building my biceps, and I get plenty of work doing other pulling exercises. I want them to grow SOME, and they will, but I'm not going to put a ton of effort in right now.

Standing triceps pressdowns: 300 x 8 x 5- again, I get plenty of triceps work doing pushing exercises, so this is good enough.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Thanks David. Still working on consistently good eating. The wife, since she started lifting with me, has realized how expensive it is to eat a good diet, LOL.
    Can be expensive, but can be done cheaply too. Helps me to think in terms of fuel instead of food. I buy in bulk what I can and often eat the same thing over and over (fuel not food). Proteins are the most expensive, so it is lots of chicken and tuna. I know, I am speaking to the choir, but a "good diet" doesn't have to be expensive.

There is a good series of videos on this very website that are titled something like "big on a budget." They give pro bodybuilders $50 or $100 to go and buy a week's worth of food. Very interesting to see what they do. Now, I grant, it is a whole lot tougher when you have other mouths to feed, but it can be done on $100 - 150 a week. The purchasing is not the hard part, it is the consistent preparation. That is where I break down the most. My problem isn't usually purchasing the good food, it is making sure it is cooked and stored for easy access.

Okay, off my soap box.

Roll Tide

Well, I guess I'll have to call last night my "cheat" night... uh, no... that does NOT make me feel any better!!

The wife was on the elliptical and I had just gotten on my Airdyne to warm up for a tough cardio session when my phone went off with an alert that a package we had ordered for a little girl we keep after school had arrived at Sears. Well the wife wanted to go on and get it so we can give it to the little girl, so we did. While at the mall I had teriyaki chicken and noodles, and I had way too much of it. I drank lemonade. Sigh... not a terrible cheat, but bad enough. I'm HAPPY that I feel so guilty about it, though... I wouldn't have felt guilty at all three months ago!

So, no workout and a terrible, high carb/high sodium/high fat meal.

Tonight we die, LOL...
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Well, I guess I'll have to call last night my "cheat" night... uh, no... that does NOT make me feel any better!!

The wife was on the elliptical and I had just gotten on my Airdyne to warm up for a tough cardio session when my phone went off with an alert that a package we had ordered for a little girl we keep after school had arrived at Sears. Well the wife wanted to go on and get it so we can give it to the little girl, so we did. While at the mall I had teriyaki chicken and noodles, and I had way too much of it. I drank lemonade. Sigh... not a terrible cheat, but bad enough. I'm HAPPY that I feel so guilty about it, though... I wouldn't have felt guilty at all three months ago!

So, no workout and a terrible, high carb/high sodium/high fat meal.

Tonight we die, LOL...
    Sounds iike a fun meal and a spontaneous date night. Probably too much sodium, but don't get discouraged or frustrated. One meal does not make a diet or lifestyle. Actually, I have been craving some Japanese/hibache food. Hit the gym today and take the frustration out on the weights!

Sounds iike a fun meal and a spontaneous date night. Probably too much sodium, but don't get discouraged or frustrated. One meal does not make a diet or lifestyle. Actually, I have been craving some Japanese/hibache food. Hit the gym today and take the frustration out on the weights!
    I DID!!!! See below... thanks for the encouragement. The date night DID make up for the frustration!
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Last night's workout... still testing my shoulder some, but not on the pulling exercises as much.

Warmup for 10 minutes on the Airdyne
    Warmup/stretch on the Power Ryder... this thing is great for warming up for leg exercises!
    Deadlifts: 120x8, 150x8, 170x8, 190x8, 210x8
    DB inclines: 35x8, 45x8, 55x8, 60x8x2- shoulder held up nicely... much better than flat BB bench.
    Bent over rows: 90x8, 110x8x4 supersetted with Leg extensions: 100x8x5
    Straight legged deadlift: 130x8x5 supersetted with Kettlebell swings: 50x8x5
    Finished with 500 rotations on the Airdyne as fast as I could.

Good workout. 255 this morning... that's the least I've weighed since last fall! I guess my spontaneous, terrible food date night didn't kill me after all. I drank 40 extra ounces of water today to get the sodium flushed from my system.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Last night's workout... still testing my shoulder some, but not on the pulling exercises as much.

Warmup for 10 minutes on the Airdyne
    Warmup/stretch on the Power Ryder... this thing is great for warming up for leg exercises!
    Deadlifts: 120x8, 150x8, 170x8, 190x8, 210x8
    DB inclines: 35x8, 45x8, 55x8, 60x8x2- shoulder held up nicely... much better than flat BB bench.
    Bent over rows: 90x8, 110x8x4 supersetted with Leg extensions: 100x8x5
    Straight legged deadlift: 130x8x5 supersetted with Kettlebell swings: 50x8x5
    Finished with 500 rotations on the Airdyne as fast as I could.

Good workout. 255 this morning... that's the least I've weighed since last fall! I guess my spontaneous, terrible food date night didn't kill me after all. I drank 40 extra ounces of water today to get the sodium flushed from my system.
    Great job Brother! Everyone is different, but I have found that when I have one of "those nights" it stimulates my metabolism and I have a day or two of good progress. Looks like that happened for you too.

A quick Friday night workout before date night...

10 minute warmup on the Airdyne...
    Standing ez bar curls: 50x8, 50x8, 60x8x3
    supersetted with-
    Triceps pressdowns: Bowflex 150x8, then 180x8x4

Lying incline curls: these hurt my shoulder, or have in the past, so easing back into them... 20x8, 22.5x8, 25x8x3. These started hurting a little, but not enough for injury.
    supersetted with-
    CGBP: 60x8, 80x8, 90x8x3

Finished with 500 rotations on the Airdyne as fast as I could get them done.

Tonight was all cardio...

10 minute warmup on the Airdyne
    5 rounds on the Power Ryder: 30 in 30 seconds, then 30 seconds rest, followed immediately by...
    5 sets of 60 pound kettlebell swings (I LOVE KETTLEBELL SWINGS!!!!): as many as I can do (usually 20) in 30 seconds followed by 90 seconds of rest (HR usually hits 160 or more, so I really need the extra time for it to come back down), followed immediately by...
    2 sets of what I call "Around the Clocks," which I explained at the beginning of my journal: pedal as hard as possible for 5 seconds with 55 seconds rest, then 10/50, 15/45, 20/40, 25/35, 30/30; then another round of the same thing, followed by 3 minutes of easy pedaling.

40 minutes of cardio hell...
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

oh to be able to consistently do half that amount of cardio. I know I need to, just can't get motivated.

oh to be able to consistently do half that amount of cardio. I know I need to, just can't get motivated.
    I was 257 for the second straight Monday today... very disappointing, seeing as how I was 254 Saturday morning, worked out hard Saturday night, and ate clean all weekend. So, I'm thinking of going to 3 12's to speed up the lifting portion of my workout and adding a little more cardio at the end of lifting days. I have GOT to get lighter on the scales, but the way I put on muscle is kind of killing that. My Wellness Checkup for my health insurance is coming up on April 20, and I need to be in the 240s if I can... and I should be able to if I stay at it and with the time change.

Yes, I'm going to keep lifting "heavy," but cut down on the number of sets/time. I'm often not getting started until 6:30 or later, and finishing a workout close to 7:30 is killing my sleep.

David, breaking my cardio up into different portions/exercises helps a ton. I have a hard time just staying at one thing for LONG periods... except for running.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Tonight's workout... changing things up. Going back to a split instead of full body each night. It just works better for me mentally, and we all know that THAT is a big thing in this game, and it also leaves a little more time for cardio at the end of the workout.

Barbell squats: Warmup, then 140x5, 160x5, 180x5, 200x5, 210x5. Proud of that last set, but my numbers SHOULD go up with only 5 reps. I made them count!!

Goblet squats: 60x12x3... LOVE these for getting the HR up and for making my legs burn.

Front squats: I had NEVER tried these before, so I started off with a very low number. I tried two different ways that I have seen people do them, and while I am strong enough, either they dug into my shoulders/clavicle or they bent my wrists back too far. I did two sets and said "screw it." I'll do box squats with DB's instead. Or lunges (I don't have enough room in my workout room to do walking lunges, and I like doing them that way, so I'm not doing them right now.

Bent over raises: 20x12, 22.5x12, 22.5x12

Planks: 3 sets holding them as long as possible... 45 seconds, 30 seconds, 30 seconds. Not good, but a start.

No cardio tonight. I had chicken and fish to cook... and eat a little of. :-)
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Give paused squats a try. Use the opposite set up of what you usually do. If you typically squat hi bar, do these low bar. If low bar, do them hi bar. Then pause for a two to three count at the bottom. Also, I will send you a photo of how you can make and set up a homemade quad blaster. Just another tool for the belt.

Give paused squats a try. Use the opposite set up of what you usually do. If you typically squat hi bar, do these low bar. If low bar, do them hi bar. Then pause for a two to three count at the bottom. Also, I will send you a photo of how you can make and set up a homemade quad blaster. Just another tool for the belt.
    I will look them up... good ole Youtube!!

Also, I talked to the person whose workout this is and he thought old school barbell hack squats would be a good sub... I can do them easily, and I like them because they work the upper back at the same time because of the bar being held the way it is. I like to give a shrug at the top to kill two birds with one rock, as the saying goes.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Last night's workout...

10 minute warmup on the Airdyne, then,

DB flat bench: Several warmup sets, then 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 65x5, 70x5... felt REALLY strong on these, and the shoulder held up nicely.
    Incline flyes: 20x12, 25x12, 30x12. Again, started light because of my shoulder but it felt good. No popping.
    Skull crushers: 50x12, 50x8 (four more close grips to finish the set of 12), 50x8 (cg's to finish).
    1 arm triceps pushdowns: 100x12x3, each arm. I like these because I can use my off arm to help myself when I've reached exhaustion.
    Bent over lateral raises: 25x12, 30x12, 35x12

A good workout... no cardio. It was well after 7 pm when I finished, and I wanted some quality time with the wife. I have to be up really early, so I go to bed at 9. That time was more important than cardio!!
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) grouchyjarhead has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you have lifting straps, you can use them for front squats.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/ho...at-with-straps

Good workout, and good to see you're keeping the right priorities. Sometimes sleep and quality time with the wife is far better for your health than fitting in a longer workout.

Originally Posted by grouchyjarhead View Post
    If you have lifting straps, you can use them for front squats.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/ho...at-with-straps

Good workout, and good to see you're keeping the right priorities. Sometimes sleep and quality time with the wife is far better for your health than fitting in a longer workout.
    Hey, thanks for the tip and the compliment. I'll try it that way. Still thinking that barbell hacks might hit the muscles close to the same way. Never can have too much ammo regardless!!

Perhaps my biggest problem with the front squats is my very easily pained left shoulder... it's just awkward for it. However, I will continue to work on it.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Last night's cardio workout... 6 minute warmup, then 10 sets of HIIT 15 seconds on, 45 seconds rest, then a four minute cool down. 20 minutes of hell, LOL...

Tonight: 10 minutes warmup on the Airdyne, then...

Deadlifts: 170x5, 200x5, 220x5, 230x5, 240x5... getting stronger!!

Bent over barbell rows: 120x5, 120x5, 130x5, 140x5, 140x5

Lat pulldowns: 300x12, 260x12, 260x12 (remember, I have a Bowflex that I do my machine work on, so the numbers are skewed... my form wasn't good on 300, so I lowered the weight).

Incline curls: 25x12x3... this particular workout has no dedicated bicep work, so I'm adding one in... I just have to!!

Bent over lateral raises: 25x8, bad form, went down to 20x4, 20x12, 20x12. I was spent... the DL's killed me!!
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

Love the Barbell Hack Squats. Might also check out some Jefferson Squats too. Just another tool.

Love the Barbell Hack Squats. Might also check out some Jefferson Squats too. Just another tool.
    I will... thanks David. Glad to see you back.
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) polishedball is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Congrats on the hard work it is paying off Just been back a few months myself after dealing with NTOS an pt for a year
    My journal, not detailed, but heck I never keep track of much anyhow. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121196291&p=863931421#post863931421

leader in trailing technology

Originally Posted by polishedball View Post
    Congrats on the hard work it is paying off Just been back a few months myself after dealing with NTOS an pt for a year
    Thanks... I'm trying!!
    Paul
    Getting lean and clean

Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant