Rengron has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Helping a beginner strongman?

Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm a 21yo, 1,80m tall, 90kg male looking for some advice on becoming a strongman.
    I'm not new however to weightlifting, started around 16yo but I never had consistency in my training mainly because I had neither knowledge nor goal. I work and study, so making some time to go to the gym has always been hard but this year I want my main focus to be strongman training.
    I don't want to be shredded, I'm not here for the great six-pack, I wanna be strong af. I don't want to look strong, I wanna BE strong.
    Problem is, I don't even know where to start. I have no idea which excersizes are better, how my nutrition should be, how heavy should I train and how much.
    Can any advanced strongman help me? Any old thread that might have some info, your own personal experience, anything actually would be a great place to start.
    Thanks guys!

lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz lhprop1 has the mod powerz
    Deadlift, squat, and overhead press is a great place to start.

There are literally dozens of threads on this subject alone. Search and you will find. Any advice by Tom Mutaffis is worth taking to the bank.
    Bravery and stupidity are often synonymous. So are cowardice and intelligence.

Subscribe to my YouTube! getbigordie18's Avatar
    getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000) getbigordie18 is a name known to all. (+5000)

yup

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post

There are literally dozens of threads on this subject alone. Search and you will find. Any advice by Tom Mutaffis is worth taking to the bank.
    These are the key movements for a strongman competitior. Free weights man and then look up stuff brian shaw has to offer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94fe6xvYbVY
    Follow my Powerlifting and Bodybuilding Journey on Instagram derock5996
    Eat clean and train hard and keep it natural!
    -USAPL Powerlifter in the 93KG weight class

Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Tpocalicious is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Having watched (and chatted with) Strongwomen for most of the day today, you may also want to throw in grip and core exercises. Strength in these areas is just as key as the above exercises because of the nature of the activities you'd be doing in Strongman (lifting stones, big-arse presses, etc.).
    I am stronger than my strongest excuse!

Current ORM BP: 163 | OHP: 119 | Squat: 198 | Deads: 262
    Current Goal BP: 165 | OHP: 125 | Squat: 225 | Deads: 265
    TSJGR Goals BP: 1.5xBW | OHP: 205 | Squat: 1.5xBW | Deads: 315+


    Forum: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173058501&p=1474053281#post1474053281

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Rengron View Post
    Hi guys, I'm new here. I'm a 21yo, 1,80m tall, 90kg male looking for some advice on becoming a strongman.
    I'm not new however to weightlifting, started around 16yo but I never had consistency in my training mainly because I had neither knowledge nor goal. I work and study, so making some time to go to the gym has always been hard but this year I want my main focus to be strongman training.
    I don't want to be shredded, I'm not here for the great six-pack, I wanna be strong af. I don't want to look strong, I wanna BE strong.
    Problem is, I don't even know where to start. I have no idea which excersizes are better, how my nutrition should be, how heavy should I train and how much.
    Can any advanced strongman help me? Any old thread that might have some info, your own personal experience, anything actually would be a great place to start.
    Thanks guys!
    Strongman is a test of not just strength, but also overall conditioning, speed, technique, and mental toughness. There are some gym lifts that have more carryover to implements than others (Front Squat, Deadlift, Push Press, etc.) but the best thing to do if you want to compete is to look for a local or semi-local gym or training group that has implements so that you can get your hands on the actual equipment. Finding other strongman athletes could also help you to have someone to help to teach you some of the tips/tricks and to gain awareness on nearby opportunities to compete. A good resource would be Starting Strongman (website and ******** Group) - you may be able to find some nearby gyms or competitions there.

You mentioned wanting to be strong, and there are plenty of ways to achieve that. You could look at programs like 5x5, 5/3/1, Cube/Cube for Strongman, 10/20/Life, etc. - or even just pick a few lifts that would be relevant to strongman and train varied rep ranges while making sure to include a good amount of work in the 2-5 rep range.

Since 90 kg is a weight class in strongman you don't really have to worry about packing on a lot of size and can focus simply on maintaining your current weight while building strength and perhaps optimizing body composition to allow for more muscle mass. The 90 Kg class is competitive and you will find that most athletes who perform at a high level have a good combination of static strength, athleticism, conditioning, etc.

For gym training I would look to focus on deadlift / deadlift variations (elevated heights, trap bar, etc.), front squats, incline bench press, push press, rows, and other compound movements. It would also be helpful to include some form of grip training (dumbbell holds, weighted hangs, etc.) and conditioning work - sled drag, higher rep training, interval training, etc.

Once you have access to implements there are plenty of articles and YouTube videos with information on how to perform the lifts, and once you find a contest that you want to enter you can become a bit more specialized in your training. For now I would focus on building strength in the gym, building muscle, and also maintaining your conditioning/athleticism.

If you would like you can add me on ******** and I can try to help with introductions if you find local athletes who you want to get in touch with... just no weird comments on my photos, or I will block. Ha.

Hope that this helps!

*There is also an article here 'Creating an Effective Strongman Routine' -> https://mutaffis.wordpress.com/articles/

Originally Posted by lhprop1 View Post

Thank you for the recommendation.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs