MalandroForte is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Fruit and Fat Loss

Hi! So I have read various articles saying that fructose is metabolised in the liver and so any excess fructose that is not needed by the body at that time is just turned directly into fat (as fats are processed in the liver). Note: this happens even if there is not an excess of calories i.e. you are still below your basal calorie intake. Therefore, if you are trying to cut, should we be cutting fruit from our diet? Or at least massively limiting it.

What are people's thoughts?

spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spradish has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you're eating in a deficit, you won't add fat.

Han shot first! TolerantLactose's Avatar
    TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000) TolerantLactose is just really nice. (+1000)
    Fruit was one thing I didn't cut out or even reduce from my diet when I went on a cut last month. Dropped 8 pounds and 3 inches off my waist.
    I can tell time. Time cannot tell me.

Formerly LactoseTolerant. I'm not very imaginative.

Registered User ImFromLouisiana's Avatar
    ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ImFromLouisiana has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Where did you hear that?

Eat all of the fruit you want. The fiber gets in your blood and stabilizes sugar intake, and fruit contains natural unrefined sugar your body craves. The fewer ingredients foods have and the less they're modified the healthier they are. Do you really believe that a 200 calorie protein bar with 20 ingredients including refined sugar is somehow healthier than 200 calories of bananas?
    And also pls consider this too, if you eat a 200 Cal protein bar with 20 ingredients (about the size of a cliff bar) will you likely still be hungry? What about eating 3 bananas, how hungry are you gonna be after than?

radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) radrd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Don't cut or limit fresh fruit. It's good for you.

rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000) rtpmarine is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by MalandroForte View Post
    Hi! So I have read various articles saying that fructose is metabolised in the liver and so any excess fructose that is not needed by the body at that time is just turned directly into fat (as fats are processed in the liver). Note: this happens even if there is not an excess of calories i.e. you are still below your basal calorie intake. Therefore, if you are trying to cut, should we be cutting fruit from our diet? Or at least massively limiting it.

Saying "fructose gets turned directly into fat" is a gross oversimplification. The complicated truth is that fructose feeds into some key metabolic cycles that result in increased triglyceride synthesis (in the liver) AND increased esterification of fatty acids (in the adipose tissues). When those two things happen together, they throw the body's fat metabolism out of balance. It's like the liver wants to pump out more triglycerides while the adipose tissue wants to suck them up. Under normal circumstances, the liver and adipose tissue work together to either release fat or suck fat up in response to blood glucose levels. They are supposed to keep fat metabolism in a symbiotic balance. Fructose tilts that balance slightly out of whack (in favor of fat storage, unfortunately). It takes caloric surplus or maintenance for this effect to manifest itself as increased fat mass. If you are in caloric deficit then the majority of fructose byproducts will be directed towards replenishment of glycogen, not triglyceride.

Allllllll of that being said, you should absolutely NOT cut out fruits. Fructose is definitely bad news, but fruits have a lot of other benefits that far outweigh the negative impact of fructose.

If you're really motivated to learn why fructose is particularly lipogenic, then I suggest reading up on glycerol phosphate and it's role in glyceroneogenesis. Once you understand that, then you can piece together why fructose intake disrupts the triglyceride/fatty-acid and Randle (glucose/fatty-acid) cycles.

MalandroForte is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by rtpmarine View Post
    Saying "fructose gets turned directly into fat" is a gross oversimplification. The complicated truth is that fructose feeds into some key metabolic cycles that result in increased triglyceride synthesis (in the liver) AND increased esterification of fatty acids (in the adipose tissues). When those two things happen together, they throw the body's fat metabolism out of balance. It's like the liver wants to pump out more triglycerides while the adipose tissue wants to suck them up. Under normal circumstances, the liver and adipose tissue work together to either release fat or suck fat up in response to blood glucose levels. They are supposed to keep fat metabolism in a symbiotic balance. Fructose tilts that balance slightly out of whack (in favor of fat storage, unfortunately). It takes caloric surplus or maintenance for this effect to manifest itself as increased fat mass. If you are in caloric deficit then the majority of fructose byproducts will be directed towards replenishment of glycogen, not triglyceride.

Allllllll of that being said, you should absolutely NOT cut out fruits. Fructose is definitely bad news, but fruits have a lot of other benefits that far outweigh the negative impact of fructose.

If you're really motivated to learn why fructose is particularly lipogenic, then I suggest reading up on glycerol phosphate and it's role in glyceroneogenesis. Once you understand that, then you can piece together why fructose intake disrupts the triglyceride/fatty-acid and Randle (glucose/fatty-acid) cycles.
    Thanks so much for this great response and taking the time to write it all out. Really much appreciated. I will research the information that you list in more detail. Thanks again.

Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000) Millz12323 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by MalandroForte View Post

Haven't read any of the responses here but this seems like a bunch of nonsense. Whenever I'm dieting, I eat way more fruits than when I'm not because they're low in calories and full of fiber to curb my craving for cookies and cake.

I've been pretty lean and one of my secrets is increasing my fruit intake to keep me away from more calorie dense options.
    Recent best lifts
    Bench - 235x9, 250x6, 270x1
    Squat - 295x8, 340x5, 355x1
    Deadlift - 430x11, 445x8 455x7, 485x5, 495x1
    OHP - 145x10, 150x9, 155 5x5, 170x6, 190x1(@180 bw)
    3 mile run: 21:59 @ 170 bw.
    BW - 190 Getting fat mode
    531 Log: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177172201&page=5

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    It comes down to overall weekly calories. If you're in a calorie deficit with fruit you'll lose weight. If you're in a calorie surplus with fruit you'll gain weight
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough