RageSteel is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Looking for the name of the weight bench w/ safety rails/glider?

Sorry guys I don't know how to describe this but I'm looking for an at home weight bench that has the sliding functionality so if I struggle I can quickly hook it and be safe.

Hope that make sense - can I grab the name of this type of weight bench along w/ some brand recommendations for an at home option - thanks all!

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by RageSteel View Post
    Sorry guys I don't know how to describe this but I'm looking for an at home weight bench that has the sliding functionality so if I struggle I can quickly hook it and be safe.

Hope that make sense - can I grab the name of this type of weight bench along w/ some brand recommendations for an at home option - thanks all!
    I think you may be talking about a Smith Machine.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar

Originally Posted by dumb.bell View Post
    I think you may be talking about a Smith Machine.
    ah nice!! just looked at some images - that's it - - are there any other brands like this or just smith machines?
    I bench alone - looking for something safe

EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Smith machines can be dangerous.
    https://nypost.com/2017/11/08/man-di...rushes-throat/
    Look for a power rack with safeties.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) murphyreedus is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    If OP doesn't want a power rack an alternative might be to look at a leverage gym or bench of reasonable quality like Body Solid or Powertec.

I wouldn't mind a smith machine, but it wouldn't be a primary piece and there's nothing I'd use it for that would justify the space needed for one, which is about the same as a power rack. Maybe if I had twice the space I have now.

Originally Posted by murphyreedus View Post
    If OP doesn't want a power rack an alternative might be to look at a leverage gym or bench of reasonable quality like Body Solid or Powertec.

I wouldn't mind a smith machine, but it wouldn't be a primary piece and there's nothing I'd use it for that would justify the space needed for one, which is about the same as a power rack. Maybe if I had twice the space I have now.
    thanks all @murphyreedus - do you have a link for the exact bench from body solid/powertec so I can for sure know which one you're referencing - thanks

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Even if that person had set the safeties, Smith machines often leave too big of a gap between settings. Either the bar is off your chest by "X" number of inches, or you move the safety down one notch and the bar is crushing you by an inch and a half. I never liked that about them.

Of course many would argue that everything in a gym is dangerous, and I guess accidents like the one in the link are a good reminder of that.

To the OP, I'd look into the following units to being with, and expand your search to include Body Solid once you figure out what features you want and how much money you're looking to spend.

A very basic (no frills) setup:
    https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-Work...8ZV979EVN8FMAS

Here is a more equipped leverage system:
    https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-Work...25593485&psc=1
    I own my weights, but sometimes they own me

Another skinny ectomorph on the journey to look like a buff mesomorph

***Cancer free since 2006, but always fighting the battle***

thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) thedickus is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EricAtl View Post
    Smith machines are as safe as a power rack when the safeties are uses correctly. This is not an indictment against Smith machines, just against unsafe lifting practices in general.
    I fractured my sternum in a Smith back when I was 20 because I didn't use the safeties. I thought I re-racked the bar at the end of a set but it didn't catch on the stops. I let go of the bar and 205lbs dropped on my chest, thankfully I wasn't doing neck presses, just regular benches.
    I still have a Smith and use it often. I just make sure to use the safeties.
    "It is my own fault for replying in a smith thread." deadwoodgregg

Ordained Minister of Perpetual Consumption and all around righteous dude.

EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000) EricAtl is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by thedickus View Post
    Smith machines are as safe as a power rack when the safeties are uses correctly. This is not an indictment against Smith machines, just against unsafe lifting practices in general.
    I fractured my sternum in a Smith back when I was 20 because I didn't use the safeties. I thought I re-racked the bar at the end of a set but it didn't catch on the stops. I let go of the bar and 205lbs dropped on my chest, thankfully I wasn't doing neck presses, just regular benches.
    I still have a Smith and use it often. I just make sure to use the safeties.
    Totally agree. But people think using a smith machine is the safest way to train. Also you cannot dump the bar, which I could not with my power rack. Sorry about your sternum, ouch.
    I quote with pics. ()---() York Barbell Club #78 (DD) ()---()
    My gym walk thru: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=1629553623#post1629553623

DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000) DarthCholo is a name known to all. (+5000)
    when things go wrong I'd rather have something i could slide down, slide to the side ect... Not saying free-weights couldn't kill you also, because they can, just imagine the worse case, except you can't move the bar down or off of you. Use safteys properly and you don't have to worry about this, but then again, we're talking about catastrophic use failures.

Registered User Lifts4longevity's Avatar
    Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lifts4longevity is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by DarthCholo View Post
    when things go wrong I'd rather have something i could slide down, slide to the side ect... Not saying free-weights couldn't kill you also, because they can, just imagine the worse case, except you can't move the bar down or off of you. Use safteys properly and you don't have to worry about this, but then again, we're talking about catastrophic use failures.
    I often wonder if people in the gym realize racks and Smith machines have built-in safeties. They usually aren't engaged, and even when they are, it's almost always 15" off the floor serving zero purpose.

Aside from the awkward "fixed groove" with a Smith machine, I think most might agree that twisting the bar to rack/unrack never really feels right. I feel less safe using the smith unless I have someone hand me off the weight (esp. when going heavy), otherwise it's just wonky on your wrists.
    I own my weights, but sometimes they own me

Another skinny ectomorph on the journey to look like a buff mesomorph

***Cancer free since 2006, but always fighting the battle***

dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dumb.bell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't really see a Smith Machine as being any more dangerous than a rack and a bench. Almost everything in the gym is dangerous if used incorrectly and without a bit of common sense. I find a Smith to be far superior for certain exercises (generally isolation exercises), the Bench Press just isn't one of them (in my opinion).

My advice is to go to a gym and try out different pieces until you know what you like. Buying something without trying it first, often ends up being a waste of money.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #39 ▪█─────█▪

▪█─────█▪ Ivanko Barbell Crew #2 ▪█─────█▪

▪[[[[────]]]]▪ York Barbell Club #93 (DD) ▪[[[[────]]]]▪

▪[M]====[6]▪ Mech6 Crew #10 ▪[M]====[6]▪

186lbs in Avatar