jonathan4210 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Trying to lose weight, yet I gained a pound this week

I'm 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs, was 194 last week. But I don't understand what went wrong. I know the common mistake is people miscalculating their calorie intake, but I know I stayed under. I'm even obsessed with tracking calories daily, and I know what I eat. My calorie intake is 1800 or under daily, and I do cardio daily as well. I checked those sites that you put your info and say what should be your calorie intake, and they all say roughly 2300 for maintence, 1800 for fat loss. So how is it possible that I gained?

What I eat daily is literally:

Breakfast: A slim fast meal replacement shake.
    Lunch: Either 1 slice of pizza or a soup, no soft drinks.
    Supper: A full course meal of roughly 1000 cal. No soft drinks.
    No snacks, no sweets.

And everyday I do either 10 mins of biking, treadmill, or an hour of walking outside, along with some exercises like push ups, crunches, etc.

I'm not trying to gain muscles, I just want to tone my body and lose some weight.

Registered User PairAhDucksLift's Avatar
    PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey jonathan

I'm pretty sure it's just fluctuations in water weight.

Tell ya what, instead of worrying about 1-2lb fluctuations in a day, focus on weekly trends. Weight loss is not completely linear. It should trend downwards.

Also, be sure to take pictures of yourself and take waist measurements. Those 2 things are much more accurate than the weight scale
    At this stage of my life, I do 3 things:
    Hustle, Lift and Save Money.

Watch me Lift/Act the Fool/Play Basketball here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOq8Pu6_bjJiI2uYnEn0kHA

I do check my weight once a week, not everyday. And my belly fat looks the same for the past 3 weeks.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You've got some high sodium foods - that will affect the scale number, but it doesn't really change the actual long-term weight loss. Can't consider this a pound gained. How would that make sense? The salt and other factors will affect it. How do you track your calories? Do you have a scale and weigh everything down to the gram?

juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) juggernaut74ia has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Weight loss isn't measured day to day or even week to week.

You need a good 3-4 weeks AT least of solid data, and then determine your long term average rate of weight loss.

There are simply too many extenuating factors that makes a simple comparison of just two data points meaningless.

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    You've got some high sodium foods - that will affect the scale number, but it doesn't really change the actual long-term weight loss. Can't consider this a pound gained. How would that make sense? The salt and other factors will affect it. How do you track your calories? Do you have a scale and weigh everything down to the gram?
    Well my slim fast drink is 180 cal. A slice of pizza is roughly 300-400 cal. If for supper I have a 12 inch sub at subway, thats roughly 900 cal (googled it). So for that day, it would be about 1500 calories (I even tend to round up).

pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000) pmw961 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jonathan4210 View Post
    I do check my weight once a week, not everyday. And my belly fat looks the same for the past 3 weeks.
    Weigh yourself every day. Don't worry about that daily number but write it down. At the end of the week, take the average of all 7 days. This will smooth out fluctuations due to water storage. And your belly fat is the last to go.
    Twitter: @pmward70
    Instagram: @pmward70

S225kg/B147.5kg/D252.5kg @ 107.8kg
    S496lb/B325lb/D557lb @ 237.7lb

Train hard play harder Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Tommy W. has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I'm 6'2" and weigh 195 lbs, was 194 last week. But I don't understand what went wrong. I know the common mistake is people miscalculating their calorie intake, but I know I stayed under. I'm even obsessed with tracking calories daily, and I know what I eat. My calorie intake is 1800 or under daily, and I do cardio daily as well. I checked those sites that you put your info and say what should be your calorie intake, and they all say roughly 2300 for maintence, 1800 for fat loss. So how is it possible that I gained?

What I eat daily is literally:

Breakfast: A slim fast meal replacement shake.
    Lunch: Either 1 slice of pizza or a soup, no soft drinks.
    Supper: A full course meal of roughly 1000 cal. No soft drinks.
    No snacks, no sweets.

And everyday I do either 10 mins of biking, treadmill, or an hour of walking outside, along with some exercises like push ups, crunches, etc.

I'm not trying to gain muscles, I just want to tone my body and lose some weight.
    It takes a couple of weeks for the scale to move indicating fatloss. As you begin to lose fat your body compensates the loss by regulating water retention through a process called homeostasis. Fat loss will never be linear in regards to scale weight
    If you don't get what you want you didn't want it bad enough

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll just keep doing what I do normally.

Regarding belly fat, is there a best way to lose it? Different sites give many options, but basically it just comes down to basic weight loss and cardio? Will ab workouts help a bit as well?

Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Serpentarius has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by juggernaut74ia View Post
    Weight loss isn't measured day to day or even week to week.

You need a good 3-4 weeks AT least of solid data, and then determine your long term average rate of weight loss.

There are simply too many extenuating factors that makes a simple comparison of just two data points meaningless.
    all you need to know
    There is always someone less fortunate, with real hunger, with real adversity, who made something of themselves. What is your excuse?

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well my slim fast drink is 180 cal. A slice of pizza is roughly 300-400 cal. If for supper I have a 12 inch sub at subway, thats roughly 900 cal (googled it). So for that day, it would be about 1500 calories (I even tend to round up).
    It sounds like you eat processed, salty food all day. Expect your weight to reflect that in fluctuations from sodium. Also, you can't accurately predict the calories of non-homemade pizza and subway. You could easily take in an extra 500+ calories because the kid at the Subway lineup isn't going to care about portioning what they throw in there. I really doubt you are exceeding weight loss calories if you're being honest, but keep in mind that "roughly" from fast food joints is never accurate.

Originally Posted by sonti View Post
    It sounds like you eat processed, salty food all day. Expect your weight to reflect that in fluctuations from sodium. Also, you can't accurately predict the calories of non-homemade pizza and subway. You could easily take in an extra 500+ calories because the kid at the Subway lineup isn't going to care about portioning what they throw in there. I really doubt you are exceeding weight loss calories if you're being honest, but keep in mind that "roughly" from fast food joints is never accurate.
    I always round up when I google the calories of any food. Even if that sub was 1200 calories, my total will always be 1800 or under. And ya, I go to school everyday and I have night courses so I buy most of my lunches and suppers. Sounds like its due to the sodium. But from what you guys are saying, sodium doesn't actually make you gain weight due to fat right? Its just a temporary gain due to the fluctuations?

I always round up when I google the calories of any food. Even if that sub was 1200 calories, my total will always be 1800 or under. And ya, I go to school everyday and I have night courses so I buy most of my lunches and suppers. Sounds like its due to the sodium. But from what you guys are saying, sodium doesn't actually make you gain weight due to fat right? Its just a temporary gain due to the fluctuations?
    Almost certainly, that, and just general fluctuations. If you drank just about 500 calories of worth of salty broth in a day, you'd probably "gain" a pound or two on the scale, even if it was 500 calories for an entire day. This is why it's important to count properly, because the scale isn't the overall picture. Consider that a 12 inch Subway alone can have up to twice the daily sodium amount, and a slice of pizza can have about half, so it's no surprise that you will experience this.

JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) JesusGreen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Checking it once a week is almost as bad as checking it once a day and comparing to the previous day. The point is that your weight fluctuates due to water weight. So today you could be 194lbs, tomorrow 195lbs, and the next day 193lbs on the scale. It isn't because you're gaining and losing fat randomly, it's because of water weight.

So when people suggest comparing weekly weight this should in my opinion be your weekly *average*, not just one weigh in each week.

Weigh yourself in the morning, first thing after waking up (if you aren't doing that already, then that's where you went wrong. Later in the day your weigh ins are VERY inaccurate due to even more water weight being present. The morning is the best time to weigh yourself - before you eat or drink anything).

Now after 7 days of weighing yourself, add those weigh ins together, and divide by 7. That's your weekly average.

Now do the same for the next week, and at the end of week 2, compare week 2's average to week 1's average.

This way is MUCH more accurate than taking a single weigh in.

As an example, this is what your week's weigh ins might look like for a two week period:

Week 1
    Mon: 195lbs
    Tues: 193.6lbs
    Weds: 194.7lbs
    Thurs: 195lbs
    Fri: 194.5lbs
    Sat: 193.9lbs
    Sun: 194.3lbs

Week 2
    Mon: 194.2lbs
    Tues: 194.6lbs
    Weds: 193.9lbs
    Thurs: 193.4lbs
    Fri: 193.7lbs
    Sat: 192.6lbs
    Sun: 193.6lbs

Say you weighed yourself once a week and your chosen weigh in day was Tuesdays, it'd look like you gained 1lb, when in actual fact that was just water weight fluctuation and your average weekly weigh in went from 194.4lbs in week 1 to 193.7lbs in week 2, meaning you probably lost around ~0.7lbs, rather than gaining 1lb like you thought.
    Last edited by JesusGreen; 02-04-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Originally Posted by JesusGreen View Post
    Checking it once a week is almost as bad as checking it once a day and comparing to the previous day. The point is that your weight fluctuates due to water weight. So today you could be 194lbs, tomorrow 195lbs, and the next day 193lbs on the scale. It isn't because you're gaining and losing fat randomly, it's because of water weight.

So when people suggest comparing weekly weight this should in my opinion be your weekly *average*, not just one weigh in each week.

Weigh yourself in the morning, first thing after waking up (if you aren't doing that already, then that's where you went wrong. Later in the day your weigh ins are VERY inaccurate due to even more water weight being present. The morning is the best time to weigh yourself - before you eat or drink anything).

Now after 7 days of weighing yourself, add those weigh ins together, and divide by 7. That's your weekly average.

Now do the same for the next week, and at the end of week 2, compare week 2's average to week 1's average.

This way is MUCH more accurate than taking a single weigh in.

As an example, this is what your week's weigh ins might look like for a two week period:

Week 1
    Mon: 195lbs
    Tues: 193.6lbs
    Weds: 194.7lbs
    Thurs: 195lbs
    Fri: 194.5lbs
    Sat: 193.9lbs
    Sun: 194.3lbs

Week 2
    Mon: 194.2lbs
    Tues: 194.6lbs
    Weds: 193.9lbs
    Thurs: 193.4lbs
    Fri: 193.7lbs
    Sat: 192.6lbs
    Sun: 193.6lbs

Say you weighed yourself once a week and your chosen weigh in day was Tuesdays, it'd look like you gained 1lb, when in actual fact that was just water weight fluctuation and your average weekly weigh in went from 194.4lbs in week 1 to 193.7lbs in week 2, meaning you probably lost around ~0.7lbs, rather than gaining 1lb like you thought.
    Wow, never thought about it that way. Thanks!

Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Marc5577 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have just seen a video here for weight loss in another thread. Can you search and see there? Hope this could be much more helpful for you. Good luck!