Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Post Not sure where to go now

Hi all, new here. I'm not really sure how to continue now. Let me explain - I use to be 320lbs (am 6ft tall), I am now 240-247 depending on the day. I haven't been following anyone else's plan, just doing my own thing. I have been cutting calories - went from 6,000-10,000 a day to 2500 then 2000 then 1800 to now 1500. I was doing situps, jumping jacks, running, and lifting light weight (80lbs). In 10 months I have dropped 75-80lbs total. Now I am focusing on lifting heavier weight, but just cut myself down to 1500 calories this week.

Before working out in the mornings: I eat 1 strip of bacon, 1 egg, 1 package oatmeal, and some berries. I then drive 1 hour to work before using the gym here. After working out, I drink a whey protein shake + chia seeds with water. Lunch is either steak, chicken, or pork (don't like cold fish and I'm at work most days for lunch) and fruit and veggies. I also sit at a desk all day for my job. Dinner is steak, chicken, pork, or fish + veggies. I snack on seeds, nuts, dried fruit. I take 1 day off once a week or every 2 weeks and eat anything and any amount I want - normally load up on protein, but sometimes end up with a lot of sugar+carbs those days. I drink water 90% of the time or green tea without sugar (was using honey, but not so much now).

Other than working out 3-4 days a week, this time of year I'm not very active. Once it warms up, ill be outside a lot more however - grow a huge garden every year + fishing and just enjoy being outside in the woods and etc.

I am looking to try a strength building workout plan, instead of just doing my own thing, but am still wanting to lose another 20-25lbs at least (once I'm down to 220, Ill see what I think). Any advice? lol ---- Oh, and I have to watch how much weight I lift because even tho I'm a big guy, I have had 2 brain surgeries and it messes with my head if I do too much (I'm ok, even went back and got a college degree and working on a 2nd).

This is my workout plan atm, but like I said, going to look for a new one.

upper day-
    20 Bench - 156lb
    14 preacher curls - 50lb
    100 situps
    8 military press - 50lbs
    20 upright row - 50lbs
    10 tricep pushdown - 120lbs
    20 butterfly - 216lb
    10 mins on a bike at lvl 3
    25 leg lifts

lower day-
    30 squats - 90lb
    100 situps
    4 deadlift - 140lb (messes with my head)
    10 min bike - lvl 3
    10 leg ext - 204lb
    5 min treadmill - incline of 6
    30 leg lifts
    10 leg curls 120lb

before this, I was just doing full body each time
    Last edited by Rizen0; 02-04-2017 at 05:52 AM.

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Congratulations on your loss so far

I'd say your cut is too extreme...1500 is the bare minimum that a man who is sedentary and careful with his nutrition should sink too. You're not sedentary

20-20lbs to lose aim at 1lb a week, set protein to 0.8g and fat to 0.4g per lb bodyweight minimum

Programmes to look into starting strength, stronglifts5x5 and fierce 5

Also start walking more to get your base activity levels up

Congratulations again you've got this

Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Rizen0 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well, all the calculators say I need like 3100ish calories to stay at my weight...but I'm not sure I should go up to say 2500 calories again. Feel like if I do, I'm just going to put weight back on.

Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Rabbitjb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Rizen0 View Post
    Well, all the calculators say I need like 3100ish calories to stay at my weight...but I'm not sure I should go up to say 2500 calories again. Feel like if I do, I'm just going to put weight back on.
    You know part of losing a significant amount of weight is realising that you have to be able to maintain it. Fear of eating has no place in that. You have 20lbs plus to start slowly working up to a decent calorie amount, that's why slowing it down to 1lb a week then 0.5lbs a week as you near goal can be a good tactic

You should be enjoying your food and laying down habits so that when you step up into maintenance by adding that extra 250 calories you're just going to be adding another couple of slices of bread, or a beer or some extra steak to your basic nutritional plan...your life post weight loss won't be significantly that different to the latter stages of your weight loss

Well yeah, I agree. And its not really a fear of eating, love to eat lol. Just trying to stick to my numbers is all. I have already found that I have changed a great many of my habits (more than just about eating and weight loss). I also forgot to say that I do keep a food log as well, have for the past 10 months - though I did just delete most of it so my list isn't so long.
    So think I should jump back to 2500 calories? It isn't a problem for me most days to stick to even the 1500 calories, but I have noticed I cant lift as heavy as weight (or as often) as I could before I really cut my calories. Trying to build muscle and drop weight at the same time seems to be hard.

sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000) sonti is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A woman who is half your weight can still lose on 1500. Heck, I'm nearly half your weight (5'5 female) and steadily losing on 1700!!!!

I appreciate that you are very motivated since you've obviously gotten great results so far, but here's where you are going into the territory of setting up unsustainable weight loss methods and losing much more muscle than you will like. At the end of the day, a 250lb guy who loses 50lbs over 6-8 months is going to probably look better than a 250lb guy who loses 50lbs over 3 months.

At 320lbs, your health was at real risk and losing that excess weight was very important. Now, you can do it slower and in a healthier manner for long-term sustainability. After all, you get to 215 and then what? You're going to go down to 1200? It's not realistic. You're not a 320lb guy at risk of a heart attack anymore, you don't need to cut like one. Start like a 240lb guy who just needs to get in better shape.

Its hard to think of myself like that. I still think of myself as that 320lb guy - hence why I am on here asking others

Well yeah, I agree. And its not really a fear of eating, love to eat lol. Just trying to stick to my numbers is all. I have already found that I have changed a great many of my habits (more than just about eating and weight loss). I also forgot to say that I do keep a food log as well, have for the past 10 months - though I did just delete most of it so my list isn't so long.
    So think I should jump back to 2500 calories? It isn't a problem for me most days to stick to even the 1500 calories, but I have noticed I cant lift as heavy as weight (or as often) as I could before I really cut my calories. Trying to build muscle and drop weight at the same time seems to be hard.
    You can't generally recomp at a defecit (recomp is about maintenance) but you will gain in strength and preserve muscle mass with a decent weight programme. As a noob to lifting you may see a small amount of muscle gain cos there's some weird kind of magic going on there

The reason you can't lift heavy on a big cut is you need to fuel your body appropriately

Yeah I'd work back up to a decent calorie amount but maybe not all at once, maybe jump a couple of hundred each week because the weight fluctuation with water weight associated with extra calories may play with your psyche

Originally Posted by Rabbitjb View Post
    You can't generally recomp at a defecit (recomp is about maintenance) but you will gain in strength and preserve muscle mass with a decent weight programme. As a noob to lifting you may see a small amount of muscle gain cos there's some weird kind of magic going on there

The reason you can't lift heavy on a big cut is you need to fuel your body appropriately

Yeah I'd work back up to a decent calorie amount but maybe not all at once, maybe jump a couple of hundred each week because the weight fluctuation with water weight associated with extra calories may play with your psyche
    I have noticed that the days I take off my diet and end up eating around 3000-4000 calories, I end up dropping 1-2lbs all at once. Crazy

Registered User PairAhDucksLift's Avatar
    PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) PairAhDucksLift has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Rizen,

I think you've hit a "cycle" of weight loss progress at 1500 cals a day.

By cycle, I mean that you're making huge strides of weight loss progress. Seeing the scale weight go down so fast, is motivating you to stay on 1500 cals. Do you see the cycle that's starting to form here?

As satisfying as it is to see the weight on the scale go down, understand that if your goal is to become as aesthetic as possible, I'd advise that you increase your calories as Rabbitjb suggested. That way, you're losing less muscle mass and possibly gaining muscle mass if you're on a decent beginner weightlifting program.

Trust me. Nothing disappointed me more at one point when I lost over 100 lbs by starving myself and doing loads of cardio and you end up being skinny fat haha!
    At this stage of my life, I do 3 things:
    Hustle, Lift and Save Money.

Watch me Lift/Act the Fool/Play Basketball here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOq8Pu6_bjJiI2uYnEn0kHA

Mostly I am doing it for my health. I did say tho, that if I end up with a 6-pack, I did it for women But yeah, I don't want a lot of extra skin just hanging on me - which I have noticed on my thighs is already starting. So to keep that from happening, and I just want to get strong again, I have started working on lifting. When I was a teen, I could deadlift 300lbs without a problem (though was never into lifting, I just tried it a cpl of times to see what I could do). Now I really have to watch how much I lift because of my head But yeah, I would agree with you Pair that I am chasing the scale to watch it go down - I'm just about the same weight I was in high school (240lb - just more muscle and less fat).

I have noticed that the days I take off my diet and end up eating around 3000-4000 calories, I end up dropping 1-2lbs all at once. Crazy
    Weight loss is measured over 6-8 week cycles averaging for weekly weight loss rate

Day to day and week by week is prone to water weight fluctuations which for the unwary can be scary.

Since I just switched to 1500 this week from 1800, Ill go ahead and go to 2000 for next week and then work my way up to 2500. Ill see what happens