Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Zschnack87 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Recovering After Cheat Meal

Hey guys.

So in the past, I tried to completely go clean and eat healthy. It always worked great for a while, but then I'd burn myself out and break down to finally eating dirty again and lose all my progress. This time around I allowed myself one indulgent meal a week. (Pizza, Cake, Lasagna, etc.) I allow myself to eat a decent amount but try to control how much with water and willpower.

I noticed an issue with this early today because it was my youngest son's third birthday and of course, there was cake. I did good for supper; made a healthy alternative to my boy's spaghetti and had squash spaghetti. When the cake came, I had two large pieces and still stayed around maintenance calories for the day. The biggest thing I noticed was when I got to work (working nights this week). I'm very sluggish and don't feel full power. I know this is because of the cake and honestly, I regret eating it now but it was for my son's birthday and like i said, its helping so far to cheat once a week.

My question is; What's a good way to recover after a cheat meal, especially ifs it something packed full of sugar, and not so goodness. I tried to help myself feel better by drinking alot of water and flushing myself which seemed to help but looking for suggestions otherwise.
    Looking to Rep for a solid company!

Progress, not perfection. One day at a time.

hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) hardyboysare has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    1. Who cares its one day out of 10,000s of your life and maybe 1000 calories out of millions you will consume. Just move on.

2. Don't have such a restricted diet type clean eating isn't even a thing. Being too restrictive is making you relapse to excessive eating of these items incorporate them in your calorie limit.

brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000) brit-iron is just really nice. (+1000)
    I sometimes work with the two day average to get right back on track.
    Say my calories need to be 2500 per day, and I blow out and have 4000, next day I'll do 1000. If you have more like 5000 plus, it won't do any harm fasting the following day.
    It's not ideal, but an option.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It's just food.

Carry on with life.
    The power of carbs compels me!

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by AdamWW View Post
    It's just food.

Carry on with life.
    Not only this, but it was your son's birthday too! I don't even like cake, but I had a piece on my son's birthday.

As for recovery, I'm not sure... I would just forget about it, drink some coffee and tomorrow you'll be back to normal.

AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) AdamWW has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by MrCarrot View Post
    Not only this, but it was your son's birthday too! I don't even like cake, but I had a piece on my son's birthday.

As for recovery, I'm not sure... I would just forget about it, drink some coffee and tomorrow you'll be back to normal.
    I don’t even understand the concept of ‘recovering’...

Are people getting hangovers from food? Are people having physically withdrawals so severe they cannot get out of bed?

Last time I checked, eating some tasty hyper-palatable treats didn’t make me feel much different beyond perhaps a bit more hyper and bloated... hardly deserving of any conscious thought.

Now if I tried to deliberately make myself miserable and eat 10,000 calories and pizza and ice cream, sure, my guts would hurt.... but a simple meal? When did eating become so complicated?

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by hardyboysare View Post
    2. Don't have such a restricted diet type clean eating isn't even a thing. Being too restrictive is making you relapse to excessive eating of these items incorporate them in your calorie limit.
    This ^^^^.

Seriously, eat some of the foods you crave EVERY DAY. Read the IIFYM sticky.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Recovery? Have you been in an accident or something? Suffering from pathology?

Try putting things in to perspective and consider how toxic that type of mindset is.
    Currently: traveling + MA Forensic Psych

Last country visited: Costa Rica - 2020
    Next country booked: Albania 2021, Scotland 2021

MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000) MrCarrot is a name known to all. (+5000)

Are people getting hangovers from food? Are people having physically withdrawals so severe they cannot get out of bed?

Last time I checked, eating some tasty hyper-palatable treats didn’t make me feel much different beyond perhaps a bit more hyper and bloated... hardly deserving of any conscious thought.

Now if I tried to deliberately make myself miserable and eat 10,000 calories and pizza and ice cream, sure, my guts would hurt.... but a simple meal? When did eating become so complicated?
    Yes agreed. I can only assume the OP is having some kind of sugar crash to feel that way. When I used to eat like chit I used to get really sleepy around 3-4pm in the afternoon. Since my diet improved, I don't get that any longer.

Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Strawng has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

It's funny you say that because I just had a woman tell me the other day that she was suffering from a "food hangover" from the day before. She was 100% srs & said she was extremely drowsy & her stomach hurt. She said it happens from time-to-time. I've been scratching my head about it ever since. I've had srs gi issues after a meal or felt "hyper" or warm to an extent from high carbs. I've been really thirsty from excess sodium for sure. But to be "recovering from a food hangover" for a full day afterwards? I can really only fathom that if I did some sort of Eriktheelectric style eating challenge or something. Can anyone explain this? Are people like her overly reading into their bodies and blaming food for not feeling good for either emotional or physical reasons such as being sick or overworked, or did they actually have some sort of epically gut-busting binge?

Originally Posted by Strawng View Post
    It's funny you say that because I just had a woman tell me the other day that she was suffering from a "food hangover" from the day before. She was 100% srs & said she was extremely drowsy & her stomach hurt. She said it happens from time-to-time. I've been scratching my head about it ever since. I've had srs gi issues after a meal or felt "hyper" or warm to an extent from high carbs. I've been really thirsty from excess sodium for sure. But to be "recovering from a food hangover" for a full day afterwards? I can really only fathom that if I did some sort of Eriktheelectric style eating challenge or something. Can anyone explain this? Are people like her overly reading into their bodies and blaming food for not feeling good for either emotional or physical reasons such as being sick or overworked, or did they actually have some sort of epically gut-busting binge?
    Exactly... I could only see this if so much damage was done from sodium and sugar loads far beyond a reasonable level that water retention and digestive issues just made movement painful. I mean hell, I once ate 9 Krispy Kreme assorted donuts, a 20oz chocolate milk, and a burger and fries in a single night in college, and the next morning I just felt bloated and super thirsty... that’s all.
    Last edited by AdamWW; 09-06-2020 at 04:40 PM.

VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000) VicDumbbells is just really nice. (+1000)
    I've never regretted eating birthday cake. One piece is enough for me though as I don't restrict such things so I don't have a desire for 'Last supper' style eating.
    “Physical fitness can neither be achieved by wishful thinking nor outright purchase.” – Joseph Pilates

A bodybuilder uses the weights to work the muscle.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Zschnack87 View Post
    Hey guys.

So in the past, I tried to completely go clean and eat healthy. It always worked great for a while, but then I'd burn myself out and break down to finally eating dirty again and lose all my progress. This time around I allowed myself one indulgent meal a week. (Pizza, Cake, Lasagna, etc.) I allow myself to eat a decent amount but try to control how much with water and willpower.
    You're confused about what eating healthy means. For example: there's nothing necessarily wrong with lasagna or pizza.

Read the stickies and this please: https://completehumanperformance.com.../clean-eating/
    Recommended science based fitness & nutrition information:
    Alan Aragon https://alanaragon.com/
    Brad Schoenfeld http://www.lookgreatnaked.com/
    James Krieger https://weightology.net/
    Jorn Trommelen http://www.nutritiontactics.com/
    Eric Helms & Team3DMJ https://3dmusclejourney.com/

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    'Clean' and 'dirty' are entirely subjective and very damaging descriptors for food. There is no such thing. Eat generally nutritious food with a good portion of healthy fats, proteins, fiber and micro-nutrients. Besides that do not restrict yourself. Eat treats if you want them in moderate quantities that fit within your goals. Do not attempt to eat 'clean'. I'm currently cutting and today I've had two steak and mayo sandwiches and a handful of chocolate buttons. I've managed to make it work using portion control to fit within my calories.

Cheating is also a useless word, the idea of cheat meals and cheat days is damaging in that it again convinces you that certain foods are 'bad' which leads to restrictive thought patterns and binge mentalities

To answer your question the best way to 'recover' from a slipup in calories is to just forget about it and move on. Keeping hydrated and eating some fruit also help me feel a little more refreshed if I'm getting a major sugar crash or digestion issues but that's just me.

EDIT: In OP's defense every time I pig out on a dominoes I genuinely feel run down the next morning, although that may be because I usually eat a whole one to myself, usually with stuffed crust :P
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post
    'Clean' and 'dirty' are entirely subjective and very damaging descriptors for food. There is no such thing. Eat generally nutritious food with a good portion of healthy fats, proteins, fiber and micro-nutrients. Besides that do not restrict yourself. Eat treats if you want them in moderate quantities that fit within your goals. Do not attempt to eat 'clean'. I'm currently cutting and today I've had two steak and mayo sandwiches and a handful of chocolate buttons. I've managed to make it work using portion control to fit within my calories.

Cheating is also a useless word, the idea of cheat meals and cheat days is damaging in that it again convinces you that certain foods are 'bad' which leads to restrictive thought patterns and binge mentalities

To answer your question the best way to 'recover' from a slipup in calories is to just forget about it and move on. Keeping hydrated and eating some fruit also help me feel a little more refreshed if I'm getting a major sugar crash or digestion issues but that's just me.

EDIT: In OP's defense every time I pig out on a dominoes I genuinely feel run down the next morning, although that may be because I usually eat a whole one to myself, usually with stuffed crust :P
    All he did was eat two pieces of cake on his sons birthday

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    All he did was eat two pieces of cake on his sons birthday
    Oh, then OP needs to just enjoy the memory and move on
    Somehow still managing to avoid getting 'too big'

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by AlexSays View Post

Good advice ^^^.

Originally Posted by Zschnack87 View Post
    My question is; What's a good way to recover after a cheat meal, especially ifs it something packed full of sugar, and not so goodness. I tried to help myself feel better by drinking alot of water and flushing myself which seemed to help but looking for suggestions otherwise.
    If it was really the sugar content making you crash then you'll automatically feel better after a while. But chances are you were feeling guilty over eating "dirty" as you would call it.

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Are you doing a low carb diet? I am. I had a cheat meal on Saturday evening. Had 4 slices of a Pizza Hut large meat lovers pizza for dinner. That is probably equivalent to your cheat day. The next morning I had gained 4.2 pounds from the previous morning. I resumed my low carb diet. Today, this morning, I'm .2 pounds less than I was Saturday morning. .2 pounds is pretty insignificant, but it's basically the same weight as I was before the cheat meal.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    Are you doing a low carb diet? I am. I had a cheat meal on Saturday evening. Had 4 slices of a Pizza Hut large meat lovers pizza for dinner. That is probably equivalent to your cheat day. The next morning I had gained 4.2 pounds from the previous morning.
    As you may know that's just increased water weight and glycogen. That's what eating carbs and extra salt will do.

paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) paulinkansas is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    As you may know that's just increased water weight and glycogen. That's what eating carbs and extra salt will do.
    I know. I can cheat and have 50 grams of carbs in the evening and not weigh any more the next morning. If I go over 150 grams, I'll gain 3-4 pounds. That day after that, the 3-4 pounds goes away.

Originally Posted by paulinkansas View Post
    I know. I can cheat and have 50 grams of carbs in the evening and not weigh any more the next morning. If I go over 150 grams, I'll gain 3-4 pounds. That day after that, the 3-4 pounds goes away.
    It's so remarkable when I hear how low people go on carbs... I cannot remember the last time I had less than 300g in a day... usually i'm closer to 400-450...

My first meal alone is often 100-115g of carbs.

Interesting stuff.... I wonder how much weight i'd drop if I suddenly cut them super low. Not gunna do it, but i'm curious ;o)

Interesting stuff.... I wonder how much weight i'd drop if I suddenly cut them super low. Not gunna do it, but i'm curious ;o)
    Probably 2% of your bodyweight. That's how much I can gain and lose in 48 hours.