Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by NadimShado View Post
    Since i'm mostly fat i think i should 'cut' first and slowly lose fat while gaining muscle (around 2lbs/wk weight loss).
    Losing 2 pounds per week is rather fast, losing 1 pound per week is slower.

Fast will make it harder to gain muscle, slower will make it easier to gain muscle. The choice is yours.

babsie007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hoping you can help. I've read through the thread but still not 100% certain and I would really value your input.

I'm very overweight (circa 250lbs) and I've been weight training for the last 8 weeks with a PT. they've provided me with a nutritional plan and my protein intake is 253g per day.

My aim is to build muscle and also reduce body fat.

A couple of people have mentioned to me that the protein seems very high and it should be based on lean body mass and not overall weight. What's your thoughts?

Calories: 1800
    Fat: 41g

I'm managing to achieve the levels of protein daily (I struggled at the start).

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by babsie007 View Post
    I'm very overweight (circa 250lbs) and I've been weight training for the last 8 weeks with a PT. they've provided me with a nutritional plan and my protein intake is 253g per day.
    That's insane. 160 gram would probably be more than enough for you.

How tall are you?

Really? 😢 5ft 5

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    That's insane. 160 gram would probably be more than enough for you.

How tall are you?

Really? 😢 5ft 5
    Even 140 gram protein would be enough for you.

As mentioned in the first post: "Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese)."

Nothing wrong with eating more though, if that's what you prefer.

I think if it's not going to cause me any harm, I'll continue on with what I'm doing. Im quite in the swing of it now and comfortable with how I structure my meals. I think we'll be evaluating my nutrition again soon due to my weight loss, just make sure what I'm doing is right.

My PT isn't a nutritionalist and his advice has been based on his personal experience - but it didn't seem to be doing me any harm as I'm getting good loses on the scales, loses in inches, and great strength gains.

I think the one thing I worry about is my ability to build muscle while losing fat - as it seems that is incredibly difficult to do.

Even 140 gram protein would be enough for you.

As mentioned in the first post: "Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese)."

Nothing wrong with eating more though, if that's what you prefer.

I think if it's not going to cause me any harm, I'll continue on with what I'm doing. Im quite in the swing of it now and comfortable with how I structure my meals. I think we'll be evaluating my nutrition again soon due to my weight loss, just make sure what I'm doing is right.

My PT isn't a nutritionalist and his advice has been based on his personal experience - but it didn't seem to be doing me any harm as I'm getting good loses on the scales, loses in inches, and great strength gains.
    Keep in mind I'm not a nutritionist either. I'm not a fan of a 250 gram protein diet for you. I recommend less. But if you like it do what you want.

You should lose about 2 pounds per week, or more.

I think the one thing I worry about is my ability to build muscle while losing fat - as it seems that is incredibly difficult to do.
    It's quite easy. See for example: http://muscleevo.net/lose-fat-gain-muscle/

Keep in mind I'm not a nutritionist either. I'm not a fan of a 250 gram protein diet for you. I recommend less. But if you like it do what you want.

You should lose about 2 pounds per week, or more.
    Currently I've lost 23lb across 8 weeks so that's 2.8lb per week. I know I can't expect to lose at this rate forever, but if I can keep this up for the next 8 weeks at least, I'll be happy!

Thank you for the link. I've lost inches, and I feel that I'm building muscle (I'm definitely gaining strength), but I guess it's hard to know for certain as you can't really get a good visual under my flubber... :-/

Currently I've lost 23lb across 8 weeks so that's 2.8lb per week. I know I can't expect to lose at this rate forever, but if I can keep this up for the next 8 weeks at least, I'll be happy!

Thank you for the link. I've lost inches, and I feel that I'm building muscle (I'm definitely gaining strength), but I guess it's hard to know for certain as you can't really get a good visual under my flubber... :-/
    That's all you can do, keep getting stronger on a good routine while you lose weight.

Ideally you train on a full body program with the compound lifts, applying progressive overload every session.

That's all you can do, keep getting stronger on a good routine while you lose weight.

Ideally you train on a full body program with the compound lifts, applying progressive overload every session.
    Thank you for your input! I'm doing a lot of those - deadlifts are my favourite! I'm at 90kg now which I know isn't a lot but I'll improve further with those too.

Working hard and being consistent - I hear that a lot. And consistent I definitely am!

BigLionUK is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm 21 stone (about 290 pounds) I started dieting using my fitness pal it's brilliant n I started going the gym and lifting weights doing a body part a day. Tried doing 2 parts a day but burnt out after one. I used to eat loads but since I'm training I've stopped and just eat some weetabix on a morning then protein shakes during the day every few hours then I have a chicken dinner on a night with all veg n just a couple of new potatoes. I thought doing this I will get my daily amount of protein which is 220gram and not many carbs or fat n I thought that way I would lose weight. Is this true??? I got a belly and want rid of it asap. People say I need 200 g of carbs a day tho and 60 grams of fat. What do they do carbs and fats do for ur body when training apart from energy of the carbs. Won't I lose weight by having really low carb intake as long as I have my protein perfect. I'm currently on 1850 calories a day and I'm 290 pound. Any help or advice wud be great I want to get back down to about 17 like I was 3 year ago. I walk 90 minutes a day too for cardio. Thanks for your help and your time

Originally Posted by BigLionUK View Post
    I'm 21 stone (about 290 pounds) I started dieting using my fitness pal it's brilliant n I started going the gym and lifting weights doing a body part a day. Tried doing 2 parts a day but burnt out after one. I used to eat loads but since I'm training I've stopped and just eat some weetabix on a morning then protein shakes during the day every few hours then I have a chicken dinner on a night with all veg n just a couple of new potatoes. I thought doing this I will get my daily amount of protein which is 220gram and not many carbs or fat n I thought that way I would lose weight. Is this true??? I got a belly and want rid of it asap. People say I need 200 g of carbs a day tho and 60 grams of fat. What do they do carbs and fats do for ur body when training apart from energy of the carbs. Won't I lose weight by having really low carb intake as long as I have my protein perfect. I'm currently on 1850 calories a day and I'm 290 pound. Any help or advice wud be great I want to get back down to about 17 like I was 3 year ago. I walk 90 minutes a day too for cardio. Thanks for your help and your time
    Please read the first page in this thread carefully, apply the numbers and then come back with any questions.

Working out one bodypart per day is suboptimal. You'll make better progress on a full body routine 3x per week. I suggest Fierce 5 Novice Routine.

thomas1700 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've just read the first page.

Upped my protein to 1g, fat as 0.4 and the rest carbs.

=

I weigh 184 Lbs, I worked out on a cut I would be consuming 2100 cals a day.

P = 185 grams
    C = 178
    F = 72

Is this right?

autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Estimating your TDEE

In order to gain weight add a moderate amount of calories to your TDEE, for example 300 calories.

In order to lose weight subtract a moderate amount of calories from your TDEE, for example 500 calories.

Protein minimum: 0.7 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).
    (for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit higher intakes may provide additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: 0.4 gram per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer and/or allows you to perform and feel well. Some people do better on a higher carb intakes while other people do better on moderate or lower carb intakes. It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.

Do not use macro percentages (for example 40/40/20). Your body does not care about percentages, it has minimum requirements.

As a general guideline for sugars try to keep added sugars limited to 10% of total calories or less. The sugars that are naturally present in whole fruits, vegetables and dairy do not fall under this rule, you can be much more liberal with those. Reducing added sugar intake to 5% or less may provide additional benefits.

Eating predominantly whole and minimally processed foods is generally a good idea. This doesn't mean that processed foods always have to be avoided. Processed foods can be part of a healthy diet. Focus on getting enough macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber.

A simple guideline for good health is to eat at least 500 grams of vegetables and fruit combined per day. Higher intakes likely provide additional benefits.

In order to get an idea of your micronutrient intake you can occasionally use the website www.cronometer.com. Keep in mind that it's not absolutely necessary to reach 100% of each micronutrient every day. I do not recommend checking your micronutrient intake daily, it’s not necessary.
    I like this thread but I have question in regards to sugar intake (limitations). You mentioned in your thread "Reducing added sugar intake to 5% or less may provide additional benefits.". What are these benefits if I may ask?

Originally Posted by autumngirl View Post
    I like this thread but I have question in regards to sugar intake (limitations). You mentioned in your thread "Reducing added sugar intake to 5% or less may provide additional benefits.". What are these benefits if I may ask?
    Notice the word "may", meaning it's not certain. Seems like it may have benefits for dental health and potentially mental health (not the strongest evidence though).

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...8_eng.pdf?ua=1

Originally Posted by thomas1700 View Post

=

P = 185 grams
    C = 178
    F = 72

Is this right?
    Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer and/or allows you to perform and feel well. Some people do better on a higher carb intakes while other people do better on moderate or lower carb intakes. It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 09-16-2017 at 04:09 AM.

autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Notice the word "may", meaning it's not certain. Seems like it may have benefits for dental health and potentially mental health.

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/1...8_eng.pdf?ua=1
    Where is it mentioned that 5% restriction on sugar intake, as potentially benefiting mental health (I am curious and the attachment only specify dental health)?

Where is it mentioned that 5% restriction on sugar intake, as potentially benefiting mental health (I am curious and the attachment only specify dental health)?
    For example:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddi.../#7637470b5bbf
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318818.php

If you search on Google there are more examples.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 09-16-2017 at 08:42 AM.

thomas1700 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

=

P = 185 grams
    C = 178
    F = 72

Is this right?
    Can you let me know please?

Can you let me know please?
    Maybe you missed post #105: It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.

As long as you reach your minimum protein and fat and reach your calories, it's good.

It is good to learn about this information! Thanks

Confused12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 6'1, 145lb, 32m

So if my target goal is 155lb to start, I'd need (minimum):

Calorie - Whatever the surplus is of my TDEE
    Protein - 110g
    Fat - 62g

right?

I calculated my intake for breakfast this morning and got:

Calories - 1745
    Protein - 61g
    Fat - 85g
    Carbohydrate - 207g

I've been underweight my whole life and struggled with it but only recently (today) started counting my calories. My breakfast is virtually the same every morning, so I seem to be fine there. What I have issues with is my afternoon meals mostly due to work. Most calorie calculators state I need ~3000-3500 calories to gain 1-2 lbs/week. I've already gotten half of it for my breakfast. Is it really as simple as getting the other half through my afternoon meals?

Another thing is, I'm mostly active due to the work I do but I don't work out. Will this extra weight I potentially gain simply be fat?

Thanks for the thread btw

It is good to learn about this information! Thanks
    Keep in mind that it's rather weak evidence. If you're active and consuming a diet high in vegetables, fruit, fiber and micronutrients it's quite likely added sugars up to 10% aren't going to be an issue.

Originally Posted by Confused12 View Post
    Most calorie calculators state I need ~3000-3500 calories to gain 1-2 lbs/week. I've already gotten half of it for my breakfast. Is it really as simple as getting the other half through my afternoon meals?
    Yes.

Another thing is, I'm mostly active due to the work I do but I don't work out. Will this extra weight I potentially gain simply be fat?
    Bulking without working out isn't recommended as most of the weight gain will likely be fat.

Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10) Corbachev is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Do my three weekly sessions (5x5) count as exercise when using the calculator

Originally Posted by Corbachev View Post
    Do my three weekly sessions (5x5) count as exercise when using the calculator
    Yes.

Yes.
    I am still wondering if weight lifting is considered exercise in TDEE. If you say yes, what multiple factor to use, when you do 5x5 lifting 3x week with no cardio? Is TDEE= 1.375 x BMR?

First I want a confirm about sugar daily intake (27-30 grams female/male).
    Does it count sugar in milk, beans, fruits, etc already part of the food itself? or is it "only" / artificially-added sugar, like using chocolate sweet powder in milk, some chocolate spread on bread, some fruit juices from a can?
    Second, I want to know if there are any recommendations for daily intake of vegetables/fruits (in grams) for general health improvement purposes?

I am still wondering if weight lifting is considered exercise in TDEE. If you say yes, what multiple factor to use, when you do 5x5 lifting 3x week with no cardio? Is TDEE= 1.375 x BMR?
    The TDEE calculation is just a rough estimate. You should know by now what your real TDEE is based on what actually happens on the scale.

Added sugars are only added sugars. Not the sugars present in dairy, fruit, beans. Exception: Sugars from fruit juice should be counted as added.

The general recommendation for whole fruit and vegetable combined is about 500 gram. If you're smaller female 400 would probably be fine too.

What's more important than the exact amount of grams is achieving your fiber and micronutrient intake.

Most of the above answers are mentioned in the first post of this thread too. It's probably a good idea to read it back slowly.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 09-20-2017 at 03:29 AM.

The TDEE calculation is just a rough estimate. You should know by now what your real TDEE is based on what actually happens on the scale.

Added sugars are only added sugars. Not the sugars present in dairy, fruit, beans. Exception: Sugars from fruit juice should be counted as added.

The general recommendation for whole fruit and vegetable combined is about 500 gram. If you're smaller female 400 would probably be fine too.

What's more important than the exact amount of grams is achieving your fiber and micronutrient intake.

Most of the above answers are mentioned in the first post of this thread too. It's probably a good idea to read it back slowly.
    I will re-read the first post. It has help me set up a good nutrition plan last week but I will revisit it. Thank you.

TDEE is a bit difficult to observe, if the aim is strength gain, with the use of 5 g creatinine powder/day, the scale could mean anything from fat, water, muscle. What other things that could be an indication of TDEE other than: scale, measurements, cloth fits, strength increase, weight progression, etc?

I will re-read the first post. It has help me set up a good nutrition plan last week but I will revisit it. Thank you.

TDEE is a bit difficult to observe, if the aim is strength gain, with the use of 5 g creatinine powder/day, the scale could mean anything from fat, water, muscle. What other things that could be an indication of TDEE other than: scale, measurements, cloth fits, strength increase, weight progression, etc?
    I suggest reading the first post back because I'll only be repeating myself.

I suggest reading the first post back because I'll only be repeating myself.
    I did re-read twice but what I asked about is not available in the post. I like the strategies you posted on how to approach TDEE & I incorporated them into my routine. I am asking for further indicators about TDEE, not using weighting scale, not cloth measurements/fitting, not 7-days caloric intake, not 7-days moving average, not fat percentage clippers or digital readers, is there any?