Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by autumngirl View Post
    I did re-read twice but what I asked about is not available in the post. I like the strategies you posted on how to approach TDEE & I incorporated them into my routine. I am asking for further indicators about TDEE, not using weighting scale, not cloth measurements/fitting, not 7-days caloric intake, not 7-days moving average, not fat percentage clippers or digital readers, is there any?
    Focussing on TDEE isn't necessary or useful because it's a moving target. Focus on your desired rate of weight gain or weight loss instead. Suggested rates are mentioned in the first post.

autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Focussing on TDEE isn't necessary or useful because it's a moving target. Focus on your desired rate of weight gain or weight loss instead. Suggested rates are mentioned in the first post.
    It doesn't answer my question. When we focus on our desire rate, let us say fat loss at 1.5lb per week, we still use TDEE to calculate our weekly intake - 5250 weekly, or TDEE - 750 daily, so if we do not end up losing 1.5lb, does that mean our TDEE was an overestimated? Or there might be another way to go about using the suggested rates.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by autumngirl View Post
    It doesn't answer my question. When we focus on our desire rate, let us say fat loss at 1.5lb per week, we still use TDEE to calculate our weekly intake - 5250 weekly, or TDEE - 750 daily, so if we do not end up losing 1.5lb, does that mean our TDEE was an overestimated?
    It doesn't work like that because you don't know exactly how much fat you're losing and how much muscle you're gaining. For example: people can gain weight in a deficit if they're gaining muscle and losing fat.

If you want to discuss this topic further please do that elsewhere. This is not the place for it.

Confused12 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Confused12 View Post
    I'm 6'1, 145lb, 32m

So if my target goal is 155lb to start, I'd need (minimum):

Calorie - Whatever the surplus is of my TDEE
    Protein - 110g
    Fat - 62g

right?

I calculated my intake for breakfast this morning and got:

Calories - 1745
    Protein - 61g
    Fat - 85g
    Carbohydrate - 207g

I've been underweight my whole life and struggled with it but only recently (today) started counting my calories. My breakfast is virtually the same every morning, so I seem to be fine there. What I have issues with is my afternoon meals mostly due to work. Most calorie calculators state I need ~3000-3500 calories to gain 1-2 lbs/week. I've already gotten half of it for my breakfast. Is it really as simple as getting the other half through my afternoon meals?

Another thing is, I'm mostly active due to the work I do but I don't work out. Will this extra weight I potentially gain simply be fat?

Thanks for the thread btw
    Keep in mind that it's rather weak evidence. If you're active and consuming a diet high in vegetables, fruit, fiber and micronutrients it's quite likely added sugars up to 10% aren't going to be an issue.

Yes.

Bulking without working out isn't recommended as most of the weight gain will likely be fat.
    So I started bulking while doing some moderate workouts at the house. All I have at the house is a bench press with some free weights. I started on the 17th and so far, I've been taking in 3800-4800 calories a day while exceeding the protein and fat minimums. Will it become easier to consume more food as time goes on while bulking? I make my goals but I usually have to push myself to make it happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is will my appetite eventually increase?

So I started bulking while doing some moderate workouts at the house. All I have at the house is a bench press with some free weights. I started on the 17th and so far, I've been taking in 3800-4800 calories a day while exceeding the protein and fat minimums. Will it become easier to consume more food as time goes on while bulking? I make my goals but I usually have to push myself to make it happen. I guess what I'm trying to say is will my appetite eventually increase?
    You're probably eating too much. What are your stats?

autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500) autumngirl is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It doesn't work like that because you don't know exactly how much fat you're losing and how much muscle you're gaining. For example: people can gain weight in a deficit if they're gaining muscle and losing fat.

If you want to discuss this topic further please do that elsewhere. This is not the place for it.
    Where is the right place to discuss it?

I've been breaking this up into 3 meals a day to make it easier and have only been looking at the calories and macros to start with. Theres never a moment when I feel hungry like I did before starting the bulk, so I just assumed that was a good thing. Here are the numbers so far below:

9/17/17 (3855 calories, 164g protein, 156g fat, 454g carbohydrate)

Breakfast:
    Calories - 1745
    Protein - 61g
    Fat - 85g
    Carbohydrate - 207g

Lunch:
    Calories - 1050
    Protein - 47g
    Fat - 26g
    Carbohydrate - 133g

Dinner:
    Calories - 1060
    Protein - 56g
    Fat - 45g
    Carbohydrate - 114g

9/18/17 (3930 calories, 148g protein, 149g fat, 566g carbohydrate)

Breakfast:
    Calories - 1865
    Protein - 64g
    Fat - 85g
    Carbohydrates - 242g

Lunch:
    Calories - 1600
    Protein - 41g
    Fat - 49g
    carbohydrate - 282g

Dinner:

Calories - 465
    Protein - 43g
    Fat - 15g
    Carbohydrates - 42g

9/19/17 (4825 calories, 165g protein, 149g fat, 737g carbohydrate)

Breakfast:
    Calories - 1865
    Protein - 56g
    Fat - 84g
    Carbohydrates - 243g

Lunch:
    Calories - 890
    Protein - 34g
    Fat - 24g
    Carbohydrates - 136g

Dinner:
    Calories - 2070
    Protein - 75g
    Fat - 41g
    Carbohydrates - 358g

9/20/17 (3578 calories, 119g protein, 145g fat, 491g carbohydrates)

Breakfast:
    Calories - 1450
    Protein - 52g
    Fat - 72g
    Carbohydrates - 164g

Lunch:
    Calories - 1158
    Protein - 36g
    Fat - 33g
    Carbohydrates - 183g

Dinner:
    Calories - 970
    Protein - 31g
    Fat - 40g
    Carbohydrates - 144g
    Last edited by Confused12; 09-21-2017 at 03:31 AM.

I've been breaking this up into 3 meals a day to make
    I asked you for your stats: weight, height, body fat %.

How active are you?

I asked you for your stats: weight, height, body fat %.

How active are you?
    Oh my bad. 6'1, 145lb, 32m. That was my weight before starting. Don't know about body fat %. I just went to an online calculator and it stated 9.79% but I doubt that's fully accurate.

I only started doing light to medium workouts with the weights I have here when I started the bulk. I'm a a/c tech so I climb ladders, walk up stairs, carry tools, work outside, etc.

Oh my bad. 6'1, 145lb, 32m. That was my weight before starting. Don't know about body fat %. I just went to an online calculator and it stated 9.79% but I doubt that's fully accurate.

I only started doing light to medium workouts with the weights I have here when I started the bulk. I'm a a/c tech so I climb ladders, walk up stairs, carry tools, work outside, etc.
    Well eat whatever you need to eat to gain ~2 pounds per month. If you're gaining less you simple need to add calories. That's all.

If you find it hard to eat enough try eating more fatty foods like adding olive oil to your meals and snacking on nuts.

You'll need to train had with progressive overload to gain more muscle than fat. Look into good leg exercises you can do at home.
    Last edited by Mrpb; 09-22-2017 at 02:45 AM.

Thanks for the info. One last thing that I just happened to come across is I've read that it's recommended to space out the meals. For example, instead of eating three meals with, say, 50g per meal, it would be better to eat six meals with 25g per meal or something along those lines.

Thanks for the info. One last thing that I just happened to come across is I've read that it's recommended to space out the meals. For example, instead of eating three meals with, say, 50g per meal, it would be better to eat six meals with 25g per meal or something along those lines.
    Anywhere between 3 and 6 meals per day is fine.

appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) appl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excellent write up OP. Just getting into working out now and I'm going to start by getting my intakes right before I can start at the gym properly in a week or two.
    “When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength.”
    -Arnold Schwarzenegger

Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Ginaathletic has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Awesome thread. Very useful info!

I followed your suggestion but I have a different question now: I will be starting my 4th week on SL 5x5 but weights feels difficult to push now, I also noticed I lose weight at 1.5 lbs per week (I have a tricky body, sometimes weight loss does not show for two weeks, then suddenly the scale change).
    Anyway, at the above "rate of weight loss", I am probably at caloric deficit, not my maintenance anymore. Will I be able to increase my lifts? How much additional calories should I take to increase my lifts while losing weight? I don't mind building muscle but I prefer to also lose weight at same time.
    I am now 5'5" at 152.5 lbs (down from 160lbs 6 weeks ago), I use SL 5x5 with 1 kg increments per workout consistently.
    Last edited by autumngirl; 09-30-2017 at 12:01 PM.

Tylermor is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    So if I’m 5-10 194 pounds and want to be say 180 on a cut do I do the 0.7 protein for 180 or the 194?

If anyone wants to ask questions that are already answered in the first post of this thread I suggest to post your question here: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=173128821

billybob66 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm 51 years old, 6'3", 207, body fat around 17%, and I've always been caught in a weird, contradictory space with my diet and would love advice/help. Here's my situation.

I went through a period some years ago where I was seriously overweight, like 250. I started lifting and dieting and got down to 190, but to be honest, I was just skinny fat. (I've had that body type throughout my life. Really, I can't think of a time in my life where my body fat has been below 14%.) Since the dieting started, I've averaged 2500 calories a day, with the macros around 35% protein, 40% carbs, 25% fat. But here's the issue.

Every calorie calculator tells me I need around 3200 calories/day just to maintain my current weight. I want to gain muscle, which then pushes my calorie needs to 3700/day. However, I have two problems with this:
    * I have never been able to suck in more than 2800 calories without eating really crappy, so 3700 seems freaking impossible.
    * Given my past weight trouble and current body fat percentage, I'm apprehensive about jacking up my calories.

Any recommendations on 1) how to get that many calories without downing 4 Big Macs and 2) how much cardio do I need to do so that I don't get killer whale-sized? And if I do cardio, then won't that interfere with the muscle gain?

Thanks,
    BB

nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) nissan2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi there, i'm trying to figure out my tdee before I work out my macros, Now one calculator I've used says maintenance is 3308kcal and another says 3189kcal would it be best to work out my macros at 3250. I'm 6 foot 1 work a moderate job and go gym 5 times a week and weight 201 pounds, does that sound right for maintenance? I will add 2-300 kcal's to the maintenance if this is right.

Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000) Stephendrewz is just really nice. (+1000)
    Quick question re: remaining calories after hitting fat and protein minimums. I've been tracking with good success for 9 months now with total loss of 35kg, so I have a decent grasp on tracking and adjusting my calories etc based on the scale. However since day one I have been trying to my best to hit 3 specific targets, carbs included. This can be a little stressful at times. When you say, hit protein and fat minimums then fill the rest with whatever do you mean this can vary on a daily basis or should we fill it whatever macros we like to eat and try stay consistent with that like I've been doing? Mixing it up and being flexible with the remaining budget would be a lot more, relaxing I guess. Just not sure if that will hinder any results.

faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10) faqeer is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    For the TDEE calculator... if I lift 4 days a week, 30 mins each.. should I put exercise level 4 times a week? I do cardio like once a week and sometimes skip (don't worry, workin' on it)

Originally Posted by Stephendrewz View Post
    Quick question re: remaining calories after hitting fat and protein minimums. I've been tracking with good success for 9 months now with total loss of 35kg, so I have a decent grasp on tracking and adjusting my calories etc based on the scale. However since day one I have been trying to my best to hit 3 specific targets, carbs included. This can be a little stressful at times. When you say, hit protein and fat minimums then fill the rest with whatever do you mean this can vary on a daily basis or should we fill it whatever macros we like to eat and try stay consistent with that like I've been doing? Mixing it up and being flexible with the remaining budget would be a lot more, relaxing I guess. Just not sure if that will hinder any results.
    Flexible dieting: don't worry about specific macro targets. No need to be very consistent.

tooley1878 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for this, so according the the TDEE I should be eating 2282 calories to maintain my weight of 76.9kg.. I'm looking to add muscle so i'll increase this to 2500 calories

What percentages or Macros should I be aiming at ?

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by tooley1878 View Post
    Thanks for this, so according the the TDEE I should be eating 2282 calories to maintain my weight of 76.9kg.. I'm looking to add muscle so i'll increase this to 2500 calories

What percentages or Macros should I be aiming at ?
    Your question regarding percentages or macros is literally answered in the first post of this thread. Have you read it?

M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50) M2PK will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gbullock32 View Post
    Nice and simple explanation... so pretty much a guarantee that no one who needs this info will use it. Great contribution once again though.
    I don't understand why are so sure that no one who needs this info will use it?

Great article on recommended protein intake for building muscle by Dr. Stuart Phillips: http://www.mysportscience.com/single...o-build-muscle

Originally Posted by M2PK View Post
    I don't understand why are so sure that no one who needs this info will use it?
    I agree. That being said, iirc gbullock made that comment before the thread was stickied. Now it's stickied more people will read it.

jjavorowsky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Fat minimum: 0.88 gram per kg

Protein minimum: 1.76 gram per kg

More is fine.
    Why is intaking a certain amount of fats important? I'm about to do some research on it, but I'd like your take considering your emphasis on the fat intake minimum.

jjavorowsky is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by jjavorowsky View Post
    Why is intaking a certain amount of fats important? I'm about to do some research on it, but I'd like your take considering your emphasis on the fat intake minimum.
    I've answered my own question with research, but I'm still curious as to what you think. Cheers.

Originally Posted by jjavorowsky View Post
    Why is intaking a certain amount of fats important?
    http://www.eufic.org/en/whats-in-foo...ats-and-health

James0797 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    very well explained..