Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10) ShinySephiroth is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Was the thread to Emma-Leigh's most recent version deleted?

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...6380183&page=2
    ~RIP~ Smitty Werben Jeger Man Jensen
    PR
    Body
    BF (%)-8 [6/30/12]
    Wt (lbs)-170 [6/30/12]
    Lifts(lbs)
    BP-285 [Current]
    Para. Squat-355 [Current]
    Clean-225 [Current]
    DL-480 [4/20/16]
    Run(M:S)
    1 Mile-5:38 [1/3/14]
    1.5 Mile-9:05 [11/12/13]
    5K-19:13 [3/21/12]
    Marathon(Hr:M:S)
    Half-1:44:22 [11/27/13]
    Full-4:14:19 [5/30/15]
    Cycling(Miles)
    20(Non Time Trial)-1:00:47
    40(Non Time Trial)-2:05:00
    Triathlon
    Sprint-1:22:58 [7/2012]

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The sticky has been updated to include a minimum protein intake of 0.6 gram per lb for those with less serious ambitions and/or those who have a hard time reaching 0.8.

Generally speaking I'd still recommend 0.8 as minimum, especially in deficit.

TheRealJester has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ShinySephiroth View Post
    Was the thread to Emma-Leigh's most recent version deleted?

forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183
    Don't know bro, but I also had a bookmark on it. Skibbs gave a link* on the first page which is practically the same post (it's just missing some carb suggestions at the end).

At least I didn't have to go to another website and click again to find the Katch-McArdle formula. I did find the original post on the Wayback machine, which would work-out handsomely in case the powers that be also delete that thread.

* forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533

hyperactive24 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i could really use some help I'm a newbie at all this and trying to figure out these calculator methods make my brain hurt yes I'm blonde but not a smart blonde like I thought. if anyone can help me figure out how many cals I need to eat per day to gain muscle id be so grateful

Mesogirl21 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hopefully you or any one on this sticky can help! I'm a 21 yr old female. 157 pounds, 5'8" I work out A LOT & weight train. I usually stay I. The 150-160 range. Anything significantly lower is not ideal for my meso body type and I end up looking like a stick with no muscle. I tried macros for the first this past summer and fell in love with it because of its flexibility and the amazing results my body showed. I'd like to get back on it. I'm a college student so I'm sitting down a lot for class and I work at an office as a secretary. Other than that, I'm extremely active. Walk to most of my destinations and workout 6x a week. Strength train different muscles different days and always finish with 10min of cardio. I have days where I do fasted cardio ( go out for a run) and lift later. Sometimes I take a day off of gym to run about 6-7milea insatead. I calculated my macros as follows protein: 157 fat: 60 carbs: 180. My macros over the summer were protein: 170 fat:35 and carbs :190. I'm not sure if my calculations now are too off or if I should tweak them towards my goal: leaning out/ cutting. Thank you!

VegasEdge is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by HainesGT View Post
    Well now you have 1. I am currently looking into this to try to learn of it and see if it can help me.
    Just started looking into this myself. A little confusing when I think about grams of protein or fat vs. how many calories are in the food with said nutrient.

Lost a bunch of weight recently (25 lbs) but still big fat belly. Hoping a beginner lifting routine with a closer look at my caloric intake (was on warrior diet M-F before and not counting calories) will melt the fat without melting the rest of me away. Had someone make a good recommendation to a few stickies in the forum after seeing photos. Have checked them all out. Using Cronometer is neat for the fact you can input a high fat/ketogenic desire and it spits out the recommended daily values. Now the reasearch to see what foods are good for what nutrients and put it all into practice.

Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Bucknut8084 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JJsevens View Post
    If i'm on a deficit and the pounds start dropping do i need to keep recalculating my macros?
    If someone is able to answer the question above I would appreciate it.

dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) dashdash89 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    A thought which has occurred to me recently: Isn't there a missing age variable here in calculating your daily macro requirements? IIRC, the older you get, the better you respond to fats vs carbohydrates, and the amount of protein needed to elicit MPS goes up.

pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000) pyaarawala is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thank you! This is so simple.
    TM Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145984543&highlight=pyaarawala

Texas Method -- Shredding down this body fat while maintaining strength --> Lean & mean

donaldpumpp is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks. Appreciate the info.

aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) aliyeh has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    In the past, bodybuilders have to go through the phase of muscle building by gaining mass and unfortunately fat too which then can be reduced in next phase of cutting. But now, there are various techniques for tricking your metabolism by which fat can burn and muscles are builds at the same time. Timing of in taking the calories and staying lean in the key to get low fat and build muscles. You have to eat more calories than you burn. at BodyMag Pakistan.com

sammk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Great write... very well explained.. thanks

Is this minimum requirements for macros for fat and protein only for people who are working out, or is it also the same for person who doesn't work out at all?

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Estimating your TDEE

The average number of calories you expend per day is called your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE). To estimate it, it's easiest to use a TDEE calculator such as: https://mytdee.com/

Keep in mind this number is only an estimate. What your real TDEE is can be found out by monitoring your weight and calorie intake over time.

In order to maintain weight eat the amount of calories of your TDEE.

In order to gain weight add a moderate amount of calories to your TDEE, for example 300 calories.

In order to lose weight subtract a moderate amount of calories from your TDEE, for example 500 calories.

Adjust your intake based on what happens on the scale over time, for example one or two weeks. Keep in mind that your weight will fluctuate daily. This fluctuation can be up to several pounds. In order to minimise fluctuations weigh yourself first thing in the morning after visiting the toilet.

If you’d like to minimise weight fluctuations further consider tracking your weight with a moving 7 day average (a.k.a. rolling average) or a weekly average. How to calculate a weekly average or rolling average can be found on Google.

Suggested rate of weight gain and loss

Losing weight too fast can result in muscle loss while gaining weight too fast can result in excessive fat gain. In order to avoid muscle loss and excessive fat gain, here are some suggestions.

Suggested rate of weight gain for an average beginning 170 pound lifter: 2 to 3 pounds per month.
    Smaller people and people who have been lifting longer tend to do better with slower rates of weight gain, say 1 to 2 pounds per month.

Suggested rate of weight loss for an average beginning 200 pound lifter: 1 to 2 pounds per week.
    Leaner and more advanced lifters often do better on slower rates of weight loss, for example 1 to 1.5 pounds per week.

Keep in mind that the above numbers are merely suggestions. What the ideal rate is depends on the individual and his/her preferences.

Macronutrient Intake

Ensure that your intake of macronutrients meets sufficiency (as defined below), with remaining macronutrient composition of the diet being largely a function of personal preference.

Protein minimum: ~0.8 grams per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

(0.6 gram protein per lb is a good minimum for many general lifters at maintenance or surplus calories, for optimal body building purposes and during energy deficit 0.8 gram per lb likely provides some additional benefits.)

Fat minimum: ~0.4 grams per pound of bodyweight (or target/ideal weight in the obese).

Remaining caloric budget: whatever mix of macronutrients you prefer and/or allows you to perform and feel well. Some people do better on a higher carb intakes while other people do better on moderate or lower carb intakes. It is not necessary to set a specific numbers for each macro, what matters is that the total calories, minimum fat and protein are achieved.

Macro Percentages

Do not use macro percentages (for example 40/40/20). Your body does not care about percentages, it has minimum requirements.

Meal Frequency

General recommendation is to eat 3 to 6 protein containing meals spread over the day.

Some people get good results on lower meal frequencies but these are probably not optimal for gaining muscle.

Food quality and health

Your diet should contain enough macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber.

General recommendation for fiber:
    Average male: 38 gram per day
    Average female: 25 gram per day

As a general guideline for sugars try to keep added sugars limited to 10% of total calories or less. The sugars that are naturally present in whole fruits, vegetables and dairy do not fall under this rule, you can be much more liberal with those.

Eating predominantly whole and minimally processed foods is generally a good idea. This doesn't mean that processed foods always have to be avoided. Processed foods can be part of a healthy diet. Focus on getting enough macronutrients, micronutrients and fiber.

In order to get an idea of your micronutrient intake you can use the website www.cronometer.com. Keep in mind that it's not absolutely necessary to reach 100% of each micronutrient every day.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by sammk View Post
    Is this minimum requirements for macros for fat and protein only for people who are working out, or is it also the same for person who doesn't work out at all?
    Fat is the same. For protein you could go lower, say 0.5 or 0.6 gram per lb.

sammk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What about carbs?

Also If you doing meet ur fat macros, say you are way off (less than min)... what's the drawback? Is it just unhealthy or will it hinder with weight loss as well?

Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Fat is the same. For protein you could go lower, say 0.5 or 0.6 gram per lb.

kingm88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Help

So I've been trying to get my head around this but I just can't. I'm 5'6, and currently weigh 165lb. I've started working out 5 times a week, 4 with weights, one HIIT and was hoping to end up at a target of 154lb. I've worked out my TDEE to be at 2300 cals for the amount of exercise im doing?

As i'm starting to work out a fair bit, should i eat at a deficit or should i go for maintenance as exercise will burn off excess weight.

Also what should the macros be, the info in this post and emma's seem to be kind of different and when calculating it on myfitnesspal the macros don't seem to fit the calorie requirements.

Any help/criticism would be good

motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100) motivateed is not very well liked. (-100)
    Nice info!! thank you!!

Jonathanak6 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Well youre telling me to have micronutrients but you dont explain what that is, I only see macro? Is micro nutrients not as important? Like i need help understanding this.

Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10) Wills0n is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thank you for this. This is excellent explanation and this is what i was looking for.

Registered User WannaBeValencia's Avatar
    WannaBeValencia is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks so much
    This is my preference
    Protein: 1.1-1.2g per LB of my weight ...
    Fat: 0.5g per LB of my weight...
    and i consume ~90-125g carbs depending on my activity level.
    I consume 1800-2000 kcal everyday. So hopefully, i can lose 0.5lbs every week without losing muscle

Ps I am 21,Male. Lifting 3days/week with 1HIIT and 1 LISS cardio.

Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Liftingformore has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Having trouble reaching...

*disclaimer*
    So I have the Samsung health app and this is how I document my numbers. It's not cronotrack but I found the site to be slow, so nevertheless.

I'm having trouble reaching this .6-.8 g per pound of protein. I run spartan races but I thought about switching to more of a weight training program, to switch up the training and maybe to put on some good muscle. But F I don't know how to get this protein total. I weigh roughly 157-160 and for example today I consumed 65-70 g. Now I know most ppl here push for natural and not protein powders, but I'm struggling. Should I eat bigger portions? Am I just going to have to carry around a chicken breast with me for every meal? I can't sit for at least one of them. Any help is appreciated

jc73195 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The free macro calculators online are fantastic. Not 100% accurate, but they are suficcient for 99% of the population
    Smile More :)

>> Ten Creative Protein Powder Recipes that aren't protien shakes!! <<
    https://northshoreoutlet.wordpress.com/2017/06/11/creative-whey-protein-recipes/

jaspies has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Skibbs View Post
    forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380533
    That is a great thread. I would start with this one and then add in info from that thread. Lots of people seemed to stop posting 2014/2015.

Originally Posted by Jonathanak6 View Post
    Well youre telling me to have micronutrients but you dont explain what that is, I only see macro? Is micro nutrients not as important? Like i need help understanding this.
    They are vitamins and minerals. They are crucial to be in good health.

LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LioRiX has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Would you eat extra calories than your goal on workout/cardio days? (As well as work days, as mine as a bartender are kind of dynamic, some weeks 7 times some weeks 3 or so).

ishkaitt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    My tdee is 1830 so i subtracted 500 bc im trying to loose weight and firm my legs and make them smaller. So then I got the number 1330. Which doesnt make sence because my number to maintain is 1280.

Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50) Skullbreaker will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    hi quick question.

i go to the gym 3x a week what should i pick 1-3x exercise a week = lightly active or 3-5x a week exercise moderately active.

3x a week workout but i lift as heavy as i can. i followed fierce 5 workout. just trying to get my tdee and start to calculate my calories intake daily.
    ACHIEVE / DEDICATION / HARDWORK

taylorharris24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hi guys I'm brand new to this and could really use some help. I've been reading up best I can and tried researching a lot and came out to these numbers
    111 grams of fat
    560 grams of carbs
    200 grams of protein
    4100 calories (roughly)

I'm 6"4 and weigh 193 pounds with about 8% body fat. I lift 4-5 days a week and play basketball for two hours six days a week. My problem is that I play college basketball so I have a hard time figuring out bulking and cutting. My season doesn't start again until October are these numbers good to gain quality muscle before then? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Btw got these numbers from plugging in numbers and activity info into calculators

RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10) RuyPinilla is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    adsadsadsadsadsa

EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) EJB92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find this very helpful thanks!

Originally Posted by taylorharris24 View Post
    Hi guys I'm brand new to this and could really use some help. I've been reading up best I can and tried researching a lot and came out to these numbers
    111 grams of fat
    560 grams of carbs
    200 grams of protein
    4100 calories (roughly)
    It's fine but you don't need a carb target. It's explained in the first post of this thread.