DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)

What's The Best Way To Go About Learning A New Language?

I am going to teach myself Swedish. All I know is some words and a few phrases. My grandparents were born there but don't really speak it since they came here so young. They know the basics and certain things, but not enough to teach.

What have you guys done for learning a new language? Something like rosetta stone? tutorials? Classes? Just self teach?

HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) HairyCrotchGuy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i played video games and surfed the internet to learn english srs

id say watch movies in swedish with subtitles on

also, get a tutor till you learn the basics at least

djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000) djlank9 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'm assuming living there is not an option as that would obviously be the number one way in short time. Rosetta Stone is okay, but I'd look into youtube channels and podcasts to see if there is a reputable one out there and then follow that. Self teach is good too. Your grandparents sound like they should at least know if your pronunciation is good. Also nearby colleges should have foreign exchange students and you can always see if one of them is willing to help out. They are usually excited anyone wants to learn their language since it's not a common one for someone here to want to learn.

Edit: I did all of the above when learning Spanish, but with Korean I lived there before knowing it and didn't feel like trying much. Then when I came back I decided to learn more and books helped a lot along with free podcasts. Many are straight up dog chit, but when you find a good one just subscribe and follow along and you'll pick those up.

Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    hey deadly

get these two apps:
    Duolingo - great for immersion learning, syntax grammar etc
    Memrise - great for vocabulary

start with those, you can do just 10 minutes a day, as long as you do it every day, you'll start picking chit up

obviously, travelling there or hanging out with swedes is ideal, once you start to pick up some foundations

but immersing yourself in media is great, once you've started learning some words

buy a novel in swedish
    try to read a paragraph, see what you understand

then run the whole thing through translate, then go back and read it again (without translate). proceed paragraph by paragraph, and every time read all the paragraphs you've done thus far.

either being there or reading a book are great, because there's a big conceptual step in language-learning - if you sit there and say 'tak means thanks' and 'l means beer', you're just tying an abstract concept to another abstract concept. but man, if you can hold a beer and say 'l', you've picked it up. same thing with reading, when you read it, you draw a picture in your head, and learn chit so much more easily.

also: if you're just learning a language for fun, that's kool. but swedish is probably one of the most impractical languages to learn, as they speak great english usually
    Last edited by Brozart; 01-24-2017 at 05:16 PM.
    fukn Brozart
    I'm a hugger

moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) moonstarrrrr is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I used Duolingo + Dictionairies + videogames + Subitled Political videos + Music lyrics in said language to learn new languages

Duolingo is something I'd recommend
    chechen brah who loves wrestling and strength sports

Tomasso Ciampa, Cesaro, Fabian Aichner, Matt Riddle, Pac, Samoa Joe, SCSA, Otis Dozovic is my spirit animal

5'7 186lbs 13%
    B 300x6 DL 400x4 S 350x10
    Single arm dumbell press 135

DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) DeadlyStriker has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by HairyCrotchGuy View Post
    i played video games and surfed the internet to learn english srs

id say watch movies in swedish with subtitles on

also, get a tutor till you learn the basics at least
    Yea I want to watch movies in swedish, but I need to learn the basics first to at least know what to look for. I am going to surf the internet though since that is an easy route

Originally Posted by djlank9 View Post
    I'm assuming living there is not an option as that would obviously be the number one way in short time. Rosetta Stone is okay, but I'd look into youtube channels and podcasts to see if there is a reputable one out there and then follow that. Self teach is good too. Your grandparents sound like they should at least know if your pronunciation is good. Also nearby colleges should have foreign exchange students and you can always see if one of them is willing to help out. They are usually excited anyone wants to learn their language since it's not a common one for someone here to want to learn.

Edit: I did all of the above when learning Spanish, but with Korean I lived there before knowing it and didn't feel like trying much. Then when I came back I decided to learn more and books helped a lot along with free podcasts. Many are straight up dog chit, but when you find a good one just subscribe and follow along and you'll pick those up.
    Awesome. going to do some digging then. Hopefully I can find a few good podcasts/youtube channels to help. And yea my grandparents know the pronunciation and were telling me about the tones and stuff in swedish.

Originally Posted by Brozart View Post
    hey deadly
    Hey brozart!

Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000) Gymnmc23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by moonstarrrrr View Post
    I used Duolingo + Dictionairies + videogames + Subitled Political videos + Music lyrics in said language to learn new languages

2nd Duolingo

Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Brozart has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by DeadlyStriker View Post
    Hey brozart!
    hehe cute

was just placeholding

ty
    fukn Brozart
    I'm a hugger

Originally Posted by moonstarrrrr View Post

Originally Posted by Gymnmc23 View Post
    2nd Duolingo
    Awsome. Going to check out duolingo then too.

So basically duolingo +reading +videos/movies/shows with subtitles + whatever else.

Hopefully I can be pretty fluent(ish) by the end of the year or next year.

Going to visit some family I have never met in Sweden I think within the next couple years. Will be awesome to speak with them in Swedish vs. english

hey deadly

get these two apps:
    Duolingo - great for immersion learning, syntax grammar etc
    Memrise - great for vocabulary

start with those, you can do just 10 minutes a day, as long as you do it every day, you'll start picking chit up

obviously, travelling there or hanging out with swedes is ideal, once you start to pick up some foundations

but immersing yourself in media is great, once you've started learning some words

buy a novel in swedish
    try to read a paragraph, see what you understand

then run the whole thing through translate, then go back and read it again (without translate). proceed paragraph by paragraph, and every time read all the paragraphs you've done thus far.

either being there or reading a book are great, because there's a big conceptual step in language-learning - if you sit there and say 'tak means thanks' and 'l means beer', you're just tying an abstract concept to another abstract concept. but man, if you can hold a beer and say 'l', you've picked it up. same thing with reading, when you read it, you draw a picture in your head, and learn chit so much more easily.

also: if you're just learning a language for fun, that's kool. but swedish is probably one of the most impractical languages to learn, as they speak great english usually
    Oh I see what you meant by place holding. Repped either way.

Great advice brah. srs. Going to basically follow this step by step haha. ANd I answered it below, but yea I have my grandmother's sister that lives in Sweden, and very few relatives, but I think it would be cool to learn it for when I visit and meet them for the first time. Plus I want to routinely visit Sweden over the years.

I just really like the nordic/viking culture and the swedish culture in general. Learning the language is just cool to me. Plus I listen to a lot of old nordic music too as weird as that is.

BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500) BaconBackBrah is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I'm not fluent but from months of practicing and reading around I understand how the process goes pretty well. This is 100% legit and I've spoken with a lot of people who taught themselves languages and I've learned the bulk of Spanish very quickly with this process(around 8 months with 30-60 minute practice a day.)

1.) Learn the grammar of a language. Get a grammar book and read it constantly until you understand the verb-noun relation, clauses, pronouns, positioning, syntax, ect. This will also teach you the bulk of commonly used sentencing words. Think of the grammar book as a new math you're learning, don't question the rules or try to relate it to english just learn how its suppose to look

2.) Practice your grammar skills in a program like Duolingo or anyother grammar resource to test yourself

3.) Use and consume the language. Listen to the language you're trying to learn constantly (Watch TV with subtitles of english and the language you're learning is helpful), speak it to others who speak it at any time you can (there are free resources to do this) write down words and sentences in that language, try to think in the language. And most importantly - READ. Read the language often this is probably the most effective thing you can do after you've learned the grammar. Step 3 is an ass, the first 2 can be done in weeks, this part will take years

The words and vocab will come secondary after you get the base of the language down. You have to be doing all 4 aspects. Reading it, hearing it, speaking it and writing it.

Anything beyond this is a waste of time and cope.

Oh I see what you meant by place holding. Repped either way.

Great advice brah. srs. Going to basically follow this step by step haha. ANd I answered it below, but yea I have my grandmother's sister that lives in Sweden, and very few relatives, but I think it would be cool to learn it for when I visit and meet them for the first time. Plus I want to routinely visit Sweden over the years.

I just really like the nordic/viking culture and the swedish culture in general. Learning the language is just cool to me. Plus I listen to a lot of old nordic music too as weird as that is.
    yeah man cool as fuk to speak to someone in their own language. especially as an american (also applies to aus/UK), people never expect you to speak their language, so they're always positively surprised.

they're kinda nice languages imho. i reckon my favourite in scandinavia is danish (to the swedes, danish is speaking swedish with a mouthful of marbles).

have fun bro!
    fukn Brozart
    I'm a hugger

KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) KillahJon is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i heard duolingo is beast.
    someone i know watched a lot of friends episodes to learn English after he got some of the basics down, and it helped him learn a lot of common grammar and sentences used by everyday people.

ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000) ProboscisMonkie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I know that utfart means exit. Think of it this way. U Fart out of your exit hole.

yeah man cool as fuk to speak to someone in their own language. especially as an american (also applies to aus/UK), people never expect you to speak their language, so they're always positively surprised.

they're kinda nice languages imho. i reckon my favourite in scandinavia is danish (to the swedes, danish is speaking swedish with a mouthful of marbles).

have fun bro!
    Haha i like the danish comparison. Appreciate the help again boyo. Btw are you swedish?

mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mjf100215 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Beginner routines commonly suggested:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=167958293

Originally Posted by BaconBackBrah View Post
    I'm not fluent but from months of practicing and reading around I understand how the process goes pretty well. This is 100% legit and I've spoken with a lot of people who taught themselves languages and I've learned the bulk of Spanish very quickly with this process(around 8 months with 30-60 minute practice a day.)

1.) Learn the grammar of a language. Get a grammar book and read it constantly until you understand the verb-noun relation, clauses, pronouns, positioning, syntax, ect. This will also teach you the bulk of commonly used sentencing words. Think of the grammar book as a new math you're learning, don't question the rules or try to relate it to english just learn how its suppose to look

2.) Practice your grammar skills in a program like Duolingo or anyother grammar resource to test yourself

3.) Use and consume the language. Listen to the language you're trying to learn constantly (Watch TV with subtitles of english and the language you're learning is helpful), speak it to others who speak it at any time you can (there are free resources to do this) write down words and sentences in that language, try to think in the language. And most importantly - READ. Read the language often this is probably the most effective thing you can do after you've learned the grammar. Step 3 is an ass, the first 2 can be done in weeks, this part will take years

The words and vocab will come secondary after you get the base of the language down. You have to be doing all 4 aspects. Reading it, hearing it, speaking it and writing it.

Anything beyond this is a waste of time and cope.
    yup seems to be the common theme of how to learn a language. I figured I would have to practice grammar first, like I did with french, and then the rest is just consistently consuming in on many levels. Pretty excited now that I have an idea of what path to follow. Didn't want to be spinning my wheels for a year trying to learn it in an inefficient way.

Thanks man!

LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LtGoose has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Mango Languages is also a good app to use.

Immerse yourself. I've been studying French for a little over a year now. I read it, listen to it, watch it, and speak it daily. You have to fully immerse yourself.
    And on the 8th day, the Lord opened the first Chick Fil A

Haha i like the danish comparison. Appreciate the help again boyo. Btw are you swedish?
    nah bruh, born in aus. family been here for a long time, mostly german/irish heritage. lived in a couple different countries, but never sweden.

have travelled a bunch, including denmark/sweden, managed a backpackers hostel, and know people from there. so i'm not an expert on sweden, but i'd say i have a better general knowledge of countries/languages than most.
    fukn Brozart
    I'm a hugger

SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SmackBang77 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    duolingo

/thread
    Permanent Resident of snap city (awaiting citizenship)