Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    SirusMion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Yeah, I would just cut until you think you look decent, don't have to necessarily set an arbitrary number since your goal is losing fat. I wouldn't cut too low or you will probably start to look "skinny fat" since your foundation probably isn't built up.

ollieb3112 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Doms

This question is going to sound stupid but here me out:
    So I do 3 ab excersises every Tuesday and Thursday they are as follows:

Tuesday
    Plank - 2m~1.5m~1m~1m~X
    Reverse crunches - 18r3s
    Leg raises -15r3s
    (X=However long I can hold it , 30 sec rest between sets and each excersise)

Thursday
    Russian twists-15r8s
    V sits- 12r3s
    Crossover crunch-12r3s
    (30 sec rest between sets and each excersise)

So most of the time I do these and I really feel the burn and for hours after I feel the muscle fatigue so I assume that I’ve done a pretty solid workout however I wake up the next day and there are no signs of DOMS or any kind of soreness or sometimes very minor almost unnoticeable aches.
    Unsurprisingly this makes me feel like the work I’ve done isn’t enough or isn’t effective so I increase reps shorten breaks and still nothing. So then one day I decided to try research it and I found a comment on a thread saying that doms can rarely be felt when the workout is contraction based , so therefore most ab excersises, then I applied it to other parts of my workout and realised that there are a lot of times where my biceps don’t ache the day after, after doing curls and various other excersises that are contraction based.
    So my question is , is this far fetched and I’m just grasping straws or is this a scientifically proven thing?
    Thank you for reading

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    As mentioned in the numerous articles (if you've been reading the right ones), DOMS is not a sign of progress. It tends not to happen when you've been training a while, especially if you train with frequency.

Don't try to adapt your training to make DOMS happen more, that's a waste of time. Focus on increasing performance.

And do more than just lots of ab exercises, this will not give you lean torso, only full body muscle development and proper diet will do that. I would say progression in the back squat and deadlift is probably more important in working towards that goal.

daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Diamhea View Post
    The questions in most threads belong here, lol.
    its absolutily right.

daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) daisy632 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    hi
    Yeah, I would just cut until you think you look decent, don't have to necessarily set an arbitrary number since your goal is losing fat. I wouldn't cut too low or you will probably start to look "skinny fat" since your foundation probably isn't built up
    thanks

RyanDracula is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    dirty bulk? yes or no and why?

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by RyanDracula View Post
    dirty bulk? yes or no and why?
    If you mean a dirty bulk as in a huge excess in calories then no. There is no point. Your body can only synthesise muscle mass at a limited rate and eating more will not increase this, nothing short of anabolic steroids will. Therefore any daily surplus you eat over about 2-300 calories (around half a pound a week) will ultimately just be stored as fat. Resulting in the same muscle gain and many orders of magnitude more fat gain. Some people prefer a 500 calorie surplus (1lb per week) as 'insurance' that they are getting the maximum potential for muscle gain (or because they are ignorant and believe they can gain a lb of muscle per week). Eating at 500cal+ surplus is idiotic and will do nothing for you. Do not do it.

If you mean a dirty bulk as in eating dirty or junk foods, this makes no difference. If your protein is sufficient you will gain exactly the same if you eat 3000 calories of crap as if you eat 3000 calories of 'clean' food. Clean vs dirty food is to all intents and purposes a myth. Your bulk will be determined by calories and (to some extent) by consuming sufficient protein. For general health it is best to focus on nutritionally dense meals but besides that it is largely irrelevant.

AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) AlexSays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Tswag89 View Post
    I just started lifting, I’m 13, 5’0, and 81 pounds. Just learned about bulking and I’m starting that up, and a have a couple questions.

1: What chest exercises are there? I know about bench press (+variations), flies, and pushups, but that’s it. My chest is one of my main things that I’m looking to build, but I can’t find more than like 5 exercises.

2: Also, I can’t find a lot of leg exercises. I know the really basic ones, but I could use some others

3: Just started bulking, I have school so I can’t have more than 4 meals, and at 81 pounds I need to gain some weight. Right now I’m around 2,500 calories which seems good, but I’m a beginner and any and every tip is appreciated

4: Sometimes I get really into a workout and want to do more and more, but since I don’t eat that much I try not to. Also, I read somewhere about overloading the nervous system or something? So usually I don’t go, but if I could I definitely would, I just don’t want to injure myself or anything. Is it safe to double the workout?
    Thank you!
    At your stage you should only be focusing on the basics. Find a Novice routine in the workout routine forum. In general they will focus on large compound lifts such as bench press, deadlift, squat, overhead press, rows. You will see much more structured progress if you follow a set and proven routine which includes the big lifts as their main focus. Start worrying about exercise variety later when you have a good base

Originally Posted by Ruckai View Post
    Hey unironic stupid question:
    I’ve been doing dumbbell tricep kickbacks and I’ve noticed that my triceps won’t allow any more exentsion even though I’m under 90 degrees. I’ve tried going to the smallest weights I have (10lb) to double the weight (20lb) and the point of max extension is still the same (80 degrees ish.) I doubt this is an issue of strength as other tricep exercises I can complete with heavier weight without issue. But I could be wrong.

Has anybody else experienced this isssue aswell And is their a fix?
    I experience this issue with kickbacks. I can happily skullcrush 77lb and comfortably pushdown over 100lb. However with kickbacks I need to DRAMATICALLY reduce the weight to get the full range of motion. As in i'm talking the 6-7lb range per hand on cables. This may be your issue

Originally Posted by ILuvPepsi View Post
    All cards on the table I'm on Madcow 5x5.

So I willingly took last week off to have a Marvel marathon with my family (of all things!) and deloaded 10% on all of my big lifts. Everything felt great this week dropping 10%, but something unexpected came up and I will have to miss gym for all of next week as I'm making a trip to somewhere, though this time I won't be a couch potato or eating like a pig.

Since I've already dropped 10% on everything and since I've only been back for a week, will I have to deload 10% again? 5%? Will I be fine, or should I just have a day where I see what I can do when I get back?
    Ultimately it is very unlikely it will make any difference. You should be fine to go back in with your working weight after only a week off. The worst you can expect is some increased DOMs after your first day back

Aaron365 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I need advice

I’m having trouble in many areas. Ive been working out for 2 years not very consistently. I’m 17 182cm and 72kg. I’m still skinny not very muscular but I have love handles and they are noticeable. I don’t know exactly how to lose them while I still gain muscle mass. Because if I go into a calorie surplus ill gain more body fat. But if I’m in a deficit then I might lose muscle. Ive had this issue for so long as I’m skinny but look fat because of my love handles. My diet is high in protein and I do weight training but barely any cardio. another issue I have is that I lose gains very easily and then struggle to get back to working out as I feel demotivated. when I do go back I do see results but I still don't lose that body fat. my latest effort to get back into it was in quarantine so I didn't burn many calories. if someone could help me out it would be great.

SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz SuffolkPunch has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Aaron365 View Post
    I’m having trouble in many areas. Ive been working out for 2 years not very consistently. I’m 17 182cm and 72kg. I’m still skinny not very muscular but I have love handles and they are noticeable. I don’t know exactly how to lose them while I still gain muscle mass. Because if I go into a calorie surplus ill gain more body fat. But if I’m in a deficit then I might lose muscle. Ive had this issue for so long as I’m skinny but look fat because of my love handles. My diet is high in protein and I do weight training but barely any cardio. another issue I have is that I lose gains very easily and then struggle to get back to working out as I feel demotivated. when I do go back I do see results but I still don't lose that body fat. my latest effort to get back into it was in quarantine so I didn't burn many calories. if someone could help me out it would be great.
    This is the same scenario we see several times a day on this forum.

The answer is phases of mass gain - aim for 2lbs a month gain. Or fat loss where you aim for 4lbs a month weight loss. Keep protein high in both cases and do a good progressive overload program like Fierce 5.

The only difference is the calorie level.

You can expect to look smaller during dieting. You aren't likely to lose actual muscle, just that muscles look flatter when deprived of calories, you aren't losing gains.

You can expect a little bloating during mass gain so don't panic as long as you are on top of the rate of weight gain (if not, adjust calories...)

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    This is the same scenario we see several times a day on this forum.

The answer is phases of mass gain - aim for 2lbs a month gain. Or fat loss where you aim for 4lbs a month weight loss. Keep protein high in both cases and do a good progressive overload program like Fierce 5.

The only difference is the calorie level.

You can expect to look smaller during dieting. You aren't likely to lose actual muscle, just that muscles look flatter when deprived of calories, you aren't losing gains.

You can expect a little bloating during mass gain so don't panic as long as you are on top of the rate of weight gain (if not, adjust calories...)
    So should I just go into a deficit and do more cardio along with my weight training and then go into a surplus when I'm satisfied?

So should I just go into a deficit and do more cardio along with my weight training and then go into a surplus when I'm satisfied?
    Pretty much.

The key thing is not to keep looking in the mirror and worrying.

You will look too thin during a cut

You will look bloated during mass gain

Actual muscle or fat doesn't come or go suddenly - so just trust in the process.

Focus on these things
    -Getting lighter in a cut is good (over WEEKS not days)
    -Getting strong in both mass gain (and during a cut if possible) is good

Originally Posted by SuffolkPunch View Post
    Pretty much.

The key thing is not to keep looking in the mirror and worrying.

You will look too thin during a cut

You will look bloated during mass gain

Actual muscle or fat doesn't come or go suddenly - so just trust in the process.

Focus on these things
    -Getting lighter in a cut is good (over WEEKS not days)
    -Getting strong in both mass gain (and during a cut if possible) is good
    thanks a lot bro

BufffChicken is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Talking Diarrhoea!

Seems like the right place to ask this question.
    Will diarrhoea mess up your calorie counting? As in loosing protein and calories down the drain.
    If yes, then how much?
    Does high protein cause diarrhoea?
    Does low fibre cause diarrhoea?
    Does a low fibre diet negatively affect macronutrient absorbtion?
    Thanks.

You won't be absorbing nutrients very efficiently - but putting a number on it is going to be pretty impossible.

In practical terms, deal with the cause as a matter of priority and don't push yourself too hard until you are better.

It's usually caused by something messing up your gut bacteria. Mild food poisoning can do it. Something you don't digest well - like the lactose in milk (and in whey concentrate). Excessive fiber intake could also cause it.

BufffChicken is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Smile 1 Mile Run with Weight training?

Oh thanks
    Will running a Mile 2 times a week on the rest days of a 3x per week full body split gonna bring any harm as a beginner?

Training for a sub 7 minute mile is a personal goal, but ive read any Cardio is a gainz killer.

Originally Posted by BufffChicken View Post
    Oh thanks
    Will running a Mile 2 times a week on the rest days of a 3x per week full body split gonna bring any harm as a beginner?

Training for a sub 7 minute mile is a personal goal, but ive read any Cardio is a gainz killer.
    No probably not.

dyama03 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Lots of dumb questions.

Hey I'm a 15 year old and a skinny mofo, I way about 132 pounds or 60 kg at 5'7 I don't have the tools or the eyes to calculate my body fat so I would guess I'm around maybe 13% body fat. Thinking I was training my lower abs I hammered my obliques and over trained them making them stick out. I've been bulking eating about 250 calories more than maintenance, and working out push,pull,leg/ab split six days a week. I also train Muay Thai which burns between 500 calories to 700 per hour which make me have to eat an extra 700 calories on the days I work out.

So my questions are such,
    Should I be eating more than a 250 calorie surplus? I'm trying to get big and bulk up because being a 132 pound dude is probably not optimal for strength.
    I want to achieve a V-tapper and I kinda have like a weird curve shape to me. Are my obliques big or am I just to skinny and my hip bone is pointing out? Btw my shoulder to waist ratio is of 1.5.
    Lastly at what age will my shoulders broaden?
    Attached Images
    Last edited by dyama03; 09-07-2020 at 02:33 PM.

Gamedragon345 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Help my parents keep punishing me for small mistakes that happen to everyone now by not letting me go to gym. How do I stay consistent.

CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CommitmentRulz has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Gamedragon345 View Post
    Help my parents keep punishing me for small mistakes that happen to everyone now by not letting me go to gym. How do I stay consistent.
    How old are you? Who pays for the gym, you or them?

Example of 4 small mistakes you got punished/restricted from gym for?

Question for a program

Ive been recently doing fierce 5 (upper lower split) but I feel like I need to incorporate hypertrophy too so does anyone have any upper lower splits that have hypertrophy on half of the days?

Ive been recently doing fierce 5 (upper lower split) but I feel like I need to incorporate hypertrophy too so does anyone have any upper lower splits that have hypertrophy on half of the days?
    You are doing hypertrophy.

Go to the workout programs forum and read the "size vs. strength" sticky thread.

Registered User userC2WCRR0QVQ3's Avatar
    userC2WCRR0QVQ3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Weight gain

Hi, I'm 21, 5ft 10 and weighing 155lbs i started working out naturally 3 months ago my start weight was 139lbs so in 3 months i gained 16lbs however i feel like i cant really see it that much and my weight gain has dropped to 1lb a week , im confused to why it's dramatically dropped im doing push/pull/leg routine twice a week and im eating around 3,200 - 3,500 calories daily , 140g protein and 280g carbs also taking creatine everyday
    Last edited by userC2WCRR0QVQ3; 10-29-2020 at 05:27 AM.

Originally Posted by userC2WCRR0QVQ3 View Post
    Hi, I'm 21, 5ft 10 and weighing 155lbs i started working out naturally 3 months ago my start weight was 139lbs so in 3 months i gained 16lbs however i feel like i cant really see it that much and my weight gain has dropped to 1lb a week , im confused to why it's dramatically dropped im doing push/pull/leg routine twice a week and im eating around 3,200 - 3,500 calories daily , 140g protein and 280g carbs also taking creatine everyday
    You are adapting to your intake.

By the way, you can't hope to gain muscle at that rate. Even at 1lb a week for a complete novice who is doing everything right, probably more than half will be fat.

If your rate of gain is slowing down, that's probably for the best.

The reason you can't see it is because it hasn't been long enough and you gained some fat too so your BF% is probably higher than it was.

Just keep going at a slightly lower calorie intake, maybe 3000. Aim for 2lbs a MONTH maximum. As long as you keep making progress with lifts in the gym, it's fine.

cubanyero is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    My left side of my body always feels more sore than the right side. It is also much stronger with my left chest being more developed. I am right handed so this doesn't make sense to me as I thought the right side would be more developed.

No matter if I do an exercise that requires both arms such as the pull up or if I do a benchpress or pushup evenly the left arm will always feel more sore. What could be causing this and is there a way to fix it?

YarrikSeelight is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Unhappy One side significantly bigger yet weaker than the other.

So I’m in a pretty weird situation. I have been going to gym for 2 years now. My right side of the body is quite significantly ”bigger” than the other. Pretty much in every muscle group. Yet for example in dumbell curls my right side always runs out of power before the left one. So my smaller hand feels stronger. How is this possible? I’m very confused🙃 If anyone has experience with same problem or/and knows how to fix it pls help me😖

Assymetry is normal. Just keep training, don't do anything special, it will most likely resolve itself when you gain some significant mass.

QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100) QuiLee is not very well liked. (-100)
    Originally Posted by cubanyero View Post
    My left side of my body always feels more sore than the right side. It is also much stronger with my left chest being more developed. I am right handed so this doesn't make sense to me as I thought the right side would be more developed.

No matter if I do an exercise that requires both arms such as the pull up or if I do a benchpress or pushup evenly the left arm will always feel more sore. What could be causing this and is there a way to fix it?
    try doing a left handed pullup and see if that improves your physical threshold.