Spikeymikey16 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Angry Losing weight as a obese teen

I really want to turn my life around and start getting in shape, the last time I weighed myself I was a little over 300 lbs and Im only 16. Im not very active and have a bad eating habits and all. Any help with advice on how to start and change this will help thanks.

Common sense/moderation. gbullock32's Avatar
    gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) gbullock32 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Start with diet, aim for whole foods: vegggies, fruit, meats, eggs, ect. Skip 'junk' foods or moderate them. Try being more active, walking, sports, getting out and moving; slow and consistent change will bring long terms results.
    Short cuts to success are often paved with lies.
    1/13/16: Massive hernia.
    5/10/16: Finally back to lifting, light but improving.

Why Teens shouldn't cut/Lack of progress thread- http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169272763&p=1397509823#post1397509823

CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) CommitmentRulz has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Spikeymikey16 View Post
    I'm not very active and have a bad eating habits and all.
    It sounds like you understand what the 'problem' is..

NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    In your profile it shows you as age 50?

As a teen, my dad was a non-pro body builder. I say non pro as it was just a hobby for him. He was sculpted, ripped, and well, intimidating to most. I must have gotten my genetics from my mom's side and was fat. 250 by the time I was 15 and was only 5'7"-ish. However, I tried to follow my dad and got into doing some of what he did and my body was quick to adapt. I have a big chest, legs, and wide shoulders. However, I kept getting hurt. I stopped more often than I started and like you, did not eat well. My brothers were only a year apart from me and neither of them struggled with weight issues. I certainly ate more but still....

I never had it but know I would have benefited from someone that could have coached me more. You likely lack motivation and why you are calling out on here for help. Find someone supportive that can help you and follow up with you on your goals. This may vary for everyone as you may have different health issues and may need to consult with a doctor first. However, there are many resources available. You just have to be resourceful and find them.

Set some goals. Be realistic but try to be specific. This is why having someone help you might be a good idea. You may want to lose 25 pounds in 1 week. Possible? YES. However, is that healthy for YOU? Maybe not?

Nutrition is a start but also should be a lifestyle / not temporary. Some people (like me) can't eat junk and expect good things. Even with working out, eating junk is still a see-saw into the wrong direction. Be sensible and STAY FOCUSSED. The hardest part is not day 1. It is day 2 and day 3 is day 2 all over again. Day 4, etc. It should not be a diet but rather a lifestyle change. Get rid of the sugar and processed foods. Find a nutrition plan rich is veggies, select quality meats, grains, and other whole foods. Again, ditch the processed foods. They are evil. Soda / carbonated drinks? They are all sugar so cut them out completely. What to drink? Water! No, not flavored water (with sugar), just water.

Exercise is different for everyone. Fat really does not burn through exercise. It is consumed by your body when you are deficient with the amount of calories you are taking in. Hence, you will want to be chiseling off more calories than you are taking in. It becomes a math problem at that point. Any exercise that burns calories is a bonus into your negative deficit goals.

Anyways, good luck to you. It can be hard. I was there once. I still struggle but found what works for me. I have never looked as sculpted as my dad ever was. However, I am for the most part healthy and not overweight like I was when I was a teen.

The biggest impact you can have on improvements is your confidence in yourself. You can do it!
    Last edited by NHAngler; 09-21-2020 at 10:06 AM.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I suggest you start a diet and training journal and record all training and exactly what you eat.
    Record your day to day calories and macros(protein,fat and carbohydrates).
    Packages of foods have these on them as well as checking the internet.
    A food scale is a must if you decide to do it.
    Training needs to be hard enough to help with fat loss and gain muscle.
    Start raising your activity level.
    Research for yourself training and diet protocols many of which are here on this site.
    Learn all you can make it your priority.
    You may need a coach or trainer to be accountable to so that is a possibility.
    Set a goal for yourself and have many small goal leading to the overall goal.
    Take pics every month of yourself to compare with and take a waist measurement month to month.
    This is a lot to do but will get going in the right direction.
    You will need to be discipline and motivated which honestly is hard for a kid your age but it can be done.
    You can also put your training on this site in "training logs".
    Good luck.

NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250) NHAngler has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    One more thing for you on this... and have no idea where I heard this from but is in my head whenever I want to motivate myself in the gym or in front of the food pantry...

"Success tastes far better than any food you will ever eat!"