WyomingBull is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Bull's fatloss/recomp/fitness tracking thread

TLDR at the bottom.

Alright, so I used to have a bodyspace/forum account, but can't for the life of me find my old login information. But anyway, new account, new goals, and I want a place to track them.

So, at 26 years old, I've always wanted a career in law enforcement. But, since graduating high school, I've always been way over-weight. Ranging anywhere from 330 to a low of 265. Never have I had the cardiovascular fitness level to pass the fitness tests. I strength trained for about 12 total months in high school, and since then have made a couple of runs back at it, for about 3 months each.

So here is where I sit now. 285lbs, about 35% body fat, with a 52.5 inch waist. I've been back in the gym about 4 weeks, started with 5 rep maxes in squat/deadlift/bench/ and OH press of 225/275/185 and 115 respectively. My diet has not really been tracked properly, and I haven't been doing any cardio. I'm currently sitting at 315/385/225 and 135. I've always been significantly stronger in my lower body than my upper, so those numbers seem normal to me. I guess that just comes with the territory of being morbidly obese your entire adult life. lol.

The last two 3 month stints in the gym, I pretty much ran starting strength from beginning to end, with S/B/DL 5 rep maxes topping out at ~405/275/495 each time. I didn't really do much better in my longest continuous stint of lifting while in HS, only getting to ~505/315/575.

This time my goals are different. My starting approach was the same, but here shortly I plan on diverging. Once I get my 5rm on S/B/DL/OHP to 315/225/405/135, I'm going to stop adding weight each workout. Instead, I'm going to add a rep to each set each workout, until I hit 12 reps per set for 3 sets (only 1 set in DL to keep the volume reasonable), then adding 10-25 lbs to each movement and dropping back down to 5 reps per set. If I fail to hit the additional rep one workout, I'll try again the next, if I fail twice I'll drop the extra rep all together and run back at it again.

I also am going to start tracking my calories more efficiently. I used myfitnesspal in the past, (the only time I lost significant weight, 30 lbs over 3 months with just diet), and will use a simple calories in calories out tracking, while making sure to hit 0.8g/lb of lbm of protein. I would do the full 1g, but 185g of protein a day is a lot to stomach while maintaining one's sanity during a significant diet change. Also keeping my calories from fat below 20% per day, and filling out the remainder with carbs. Right now the calculator puts me at 2075 cal per day. Before, when I was only dieting, I went from 2250 to 1900 and obviously the weight came off pretty quickly. So I may have to tweak that number a little bit since this time I will be significantly more active.

Also, I am going to work a couple of days of interval cardio into my workouts. Sandbag carries, tire flips, sledgehammer work, tire farmers walk, sprints, and whatever else I can work in. Right now, I am waiting on my sandbags to arrive (nice Ironmind set, along with 5 CoC grippers to train my piss-poor grip strength). But being as my current training days are Fri/Sun/Tues, they should arrive in time for me to incorporate that into my next workout week on Saturday and Monday.

All of this is to drop weight and recomp so I can pass what is commonly known as the Cooper test. This involves a 12 minute run, a 1 minute pushup test, and a 1 minute situp test. In order to make the minimum requirements, I must manage to cover 1.45 miles on the run (or a 12:18 1.5 mile time), 29 pushups and 38 situps. Obviously, I would like to do much better than the bare minimum, but without hitting the minimums, no agency will even consider hiring me.

TLDR OP is a huge, lazy cow, needs to become slim, fit cow for career aspirations.

Posts from here on out should be less wall-of-text, more workout summary, replies, diet updates, and progress pics. I will post current pics before my next workout week begins on Friday.