Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 21 29 30 31 32 33 41 ... LastLast
    N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi tank2003's Avatar
    tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by nosirrahx View Post
    Not a question so much as an observation about heavy pressing while losing 100+ lbs of fat.

When I was still quite heavy I learned to press correctly and was able to get super tight at the bottom before either OHP and bench. Everything felt solid and pressing felt great.

Now that I am down more than 100 lbs I am finding that my biomechanics have gone to hell. All of that extra material that is now missing has left what is essentially "gaps" in my tightness and I am really struggling with getting and staying tight while pressing.

I have decided to drop the weight way back and relearn these movements while incorporating shoulder strength and mobility exercises.
    OK, i'm not 100% sure on what you just said, but what I gathered was that you had your form down before the weight loss, but now, after the loss, your form is terrible and are planning to drop the weight to tighten up the form. That correct?
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    -Dr. Jordan Peterson Sept 2017
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by tank2003 View Post
    OK, i'm not 100% sure on what you just said, but what I gathered was that you had your form down before the weight loss, but now, after the loss, your form is terrible and are planning to drop the weight to tighten up the form. That correct?
    Essentially, yes. I felt great pressing basically forever when I was very fat but now it feels like crap even when the weight isn't all that heavy. I plan to drop back to 135 on bench and work up slow while incorporating a lot more exercises like face pulls and external rotations.

The best way I can describe the feeling is that my shoulders feel "floppy" and it is exhausting trying to hold tight form while pressing.
    Eat in a deficit to lose weight.
    Hit your protein and fat minimums to stay healthy and keep your gainz.
    Lift heavy and do HIIT to look and feel awesome.
    Use the internet to learn why you should do these things and how to do these things.

tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) tank2003 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Essentially, yes. I felt great pressing basically forever when I was very fat but now it feels like crap even when the weight isn't all that heavy. I plan to drop back to 135 on bench and work up slow while incorporating a lot more exercises like face pulls and external rotations.

The best way I can describe the feeling is that my shoulders feel "floppy" and it is exhausting trying to hold tight form while pressing.
    Hmm...I really dont know what to say. I've never heard of this before. All i can really suggest is that you are just having some issues with energy balance and strength. When you are cutting its not unusual to feel like you are struggling int he strength department, especially if you are metabolically plateuaing. According to the set point theory, if you believe it, your body WANTS to stay at a certain lean body mass:fat ratio and when you drop below that set limit, the body will do what it can to slow you from losing more weight, no matter how hard you diet. If this is happening to you now, then i see no reason why your energy could be doing the same.
    “That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even death may die.” - The Nameless City by HP Lovecraft
    "The higher the prevalence of infectious diseases the higher the probability of totalitarian political attitudes."
    "The search for a moral equivalent of war continues to define American Liberalism to this day."

nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) nosirrahx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Hmm...I really dont know what to say. I've never heard of this before. All i can really suggest is that you are just having some issues with energy balance and strength. When you are cutting its not unusual to feel like you are struggling int he strength department, especially if you are metabolically plateuaing. According to the set point theory, if you believe it, your body WANTS to stay at a certain lean body mass:fat ratio and when you drop below that set limit, the body will do what it can to slow you from losing more weight, no matter how hard you diet. If this is happening to you now, then i see no reason why your energy could be doing the same.
    I did forget to mention that I dropped around 60 lbs since mid December so the last bit has come off super quick. When I was dropping weight slower this did not seem to be an issue.

Energy is actually great and I have made PRs on certain movements. Lats for example have never been stronger, grip strength is also crazy good. Cardio (that I actually do now) is getting better every week. Legs are getting stronger but that is harder to gauge as I am squatting less of "me" as part of the lift.

I still have 40 lbs to lose so I am not super close to the end but I am well on my way.
    Use the internet to learn why you should do these things and how to do these things.

Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz Gxp23 has the mod powerz
    Are you familiar with crossover symmetry and Iron Scap? If so, what do you think of it? Been told to use it to help with my posture/tendinopathy (supraspinatus and long head of bicep tendon) Done them both a few times and shoulders feel good and stable afterwards.
    Eat the damn yolk.

I did forget to mention that I dropped around 60 lbs since mid December so the last bit has come off super quick. When I was dropping weight slower this did not seem to be an issue.

Energy is actually great and I have made PRs on certain movements. Lats for example have never been stronger, grip strength is also crazy good. Cardio (that I actually do now) is getting better every week. Legs are getting stronger but that is harder to gauge as I am squatting less of "me" as part of the lift.

I still have 40 lbs to lose so I am not super close to the end but I am well on my way.
    well shoot brah, i dunno what to tell you then. I gave it an educated guess.

Originally Posted by Gxp23 View Post
    Are you familiar with crossover symmetry and Iron Scap? If so, what do you think of it? Been told to use it to help with my posture/tendinopathy (supraspinatus and long head of bicep tendon) Done them both a few times and shoulders feel good and stable afterwards.
    Never heard of it it but i watched a few videos and it looks like a neat addittion to a home gym since a cable apparatus is hard and expensive to come by. However, i wouldnt think it is necessary to work on your with that mode if you have access to a gym. Here are a few posture related vids to look at (assuming you hit the gym)

well shoot brah, i dunno what to tell you then. I gave it an educated guess.
    No worries, it was posted more as an observation than anything else in case other former fatties felt the same changes. I will follow up on this after I give it some time resetting my bench and working on shoulder assistance. Coincidentally the vids you posted for the other question likely would be helpful in terms of getting tight on the bench.

No worries, it was posted more as an observation than anything else in case other former fatties felt the same changes. I will follow up on this after I give it some time resetting my bench and working on shoulder assistance. Coincidentally the vids you posted for the other question likely would be helpful in terms of getting tight on the bench.
    this should help you some too

DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Alright I'll bite.

So I've hopped back into oly lifting and I'm following one of Greg Everett's programs on Catalyst athletics (12 week On the Minute Program) but need to work on running for military prep. I lift Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and every day involves moderate-heavy oly lifts, oly accessories and squats. I was thinking of running twice per week, one day of 60/120s (run/walk, 20 rounds) and one day of 8x400s. Any feedback on this plan? I'd plan my runs on some of the lighter days (One day focuses on jerks and another on power cleans, both not as leg intensive) Saturday you generally work up to 1rm for both snatch and C&J and could skip this day if need be to fit in the running.

Originally Posted by DCutch View Post
    Alright I'll bite.

So I've hopped back into oly lifting and I'm following one of Greg Everett's programs on Catalyst athletics (12 week On the Minute Program) but need to work on running for military prep. I lift Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday and every day involves moderate-heavy oly lifts, oly accessories and squats. I was thinking of running twice per week, one day of 60/120s (run/walk, 20 rounds) and one day of 8x400s. Any feedback on this plan? I'd plan my runs on some of the lighter days (One day focuses on jerks and another on power cleans, both not as leg intensive) Saturday you generally work up to 1rm for both snatch and C&J and could skip this day if need be to fit in the running.
    Are you joining the military & if so, when and what branch?

Well, i dont know how good of shape you are in now, but that sounds like WAAAAAYYYYYYY too much. Oly and powerlifting burn more kcals than any other sport (when you compare the active time meaning adding up all your concentric + eccentric contraction time and also a portion of recovery time; something like swimming is a completely different mode, uses different energy processes, and is more of steady state as compared to the more HIIT-like structure of lifting). To lift moderate-heavy THEN to go 60/120s (sprint for 60 sec then walk for 120 sec; repeat cycle) for TWENTY rounds? You've either gone looney or are the most fit person in the world. If you've never done 60/120s before, then you really need to start with 30/60's and do 5 or 6 cycles. These work best when you give it your all though. When doing these, the BEST rule of thumb though is:

If you aren't wanting to kill yourself by the time you are 50%-75% through, then you arent doing enough

I reccomend doing it with someone who will push you and keep you motivated, also so they can call 9-11 when you pass out and bust your face in. lol. I keed i keed. Srsly though, you REALLY need to push yourself with this one to get the best results and it FUKKING MADNESS to sprint for 30 seconds much less 1 minute.

Also, do a dry run of your PT test before you start all this so you can monitor your improvement. If you really work at the 60/120s, and the run time is an issue for you, you should be able to shave tooooooooooons of time off. My first APFT in the Army, i ran a 14:30ish 2 mile. APFT-2 rolls around, I shaved off 1+ min and came in at just over 13 min. Me...6'3, 230 lbs running a 13 min 2 mile....and i GAINED 2 lbs at BCT too

DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) DCutch has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Are you joining the military & if so, when and what branch?

Well, i dont know how good of shape you are in now, but that sounds like WAAAAAYYYYYYY too much. Oly and powerlifting burn more kcals than any other sport (when you compare the active time meaning adding up all your concentric + eccentric contraction time and also a portion of recovery time; something like swimming is a completely different mode, uses different energy processes, and is more of steady state as compared to the more HIIT-like structure of lifting). To lift moderate-heavy THEN to go 60/120s (sprint for 60 sec then walk for 120 sec; repeat cycle) for TWENTY rounds? You've either gone looney or are the most fit person in the world. If you've never done 60/120s before, then you really need to start with 30/60's and do 5 or 6 cycles. These work best when you give it your all though. When doing these, the BEST rule of thumb though is:

If you aren't wanting to kill yourself by the time you are 50%-75% through, then you arent doing enough

I reccomend doing it with someone who will push you and keep you motivated, also so they can call 9-11 when you pass out and bust your face in. lol. I keed i keed. Srsly though, you REALLY need to push yourself with this one to get the best results and it FUKKING MADNESS to sprint for 30 seconds much less 1 minute.

Also, do a dry run of your PT test before you start all this so you can monitor your improvement. If you really work at the 60/120s, and the run time is an issue for you, you should be able to shave tooooooooooons of time off. My first APFT in the Army, i ran a 14:30ish 2 mile. APFT-2 rolls around, I shaved off 1+ min and came in at just over 13 min. Me...6'3, 230 lbs running a 13 min 2 mile....and i GAINED 2 lbs at BCT too
    Regarding the oly lifting program, my body is very much used to hitting it very hard every week. It should be noted that i have multiple deloads throughout my program though.

As far as the 60/120s, I've done them quite a bit (usually once or twice a week, but it's been a month + since I've done any), first starting at 10 rounds then bumping it to 20 rounds after I started to plateau. I agree though, I think doing the oly lifting program as Rx'd with the sprints will be too much and would need to alter the lifting program and probably the running too. Maybe dropping a day off of the lifting and starting with 8 rounds of 60/120s then go from there (and 4x400 on my other day as opposed to 8x400). I'm definitely NOT the most fit person out there as my run times and lifts aren't stellar, but I will say I can pack a lot of training in a week and still feel fresh.

The branches I'm going for are the AF or Marines (competing for a pilot slot). For the AF I don't necessarily need to be the best athlete whereas for Marine OCS they put huge stock into your PFT score, even for the prospective pilots.

Edit: Can confirm though that 60/120s are pure torture. I usually want to quit after 3 or 4 but just try to ignore it and push on.
    Last edited by DCutch; 05-08-2018 at 06:49 AM. Reason: Typo

hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Does Rocktape (kinesiology tape) really work? I've been going to physical therapy for months for posture and they got rid of tightness in my legs but my back is still very very slouched forward. It is slouched so much forward is makes my abdomen muscles weak. She decided for me to start using kinesiology tape. Will this stuff work because it sounds too good to be true. I'm wearing it now and hoping something changes. If this works how long will it take to fix me (I hated asked you this because this question is hard to answer)

Originally Posted by hidingwithmusic View Post
    Does Rocktape (kinesiology tape) really work? I've been going to physical therapy for months for posture and they got rid of tightness in my legs but my back is still very very slouched forward. It is slouched so much forward is makes my abdomen muscles weak. She decided for me to start using kinesiology tape. Will this stuff work because it sounds too good to be true. I'm wearing it now and hoping something changes. If this works how long will it take to fix me (I hated asked you this because this question is hard to answer)
    Enthusiasts also believe that kinesiology tape speeds healing by slightly lifting skin away from sore or injured tissues, improving blood flow and lymphatic drainage, and that it supports injured joints and muscles without impeding their range of motion. But these purported benefits are largely unsubstantiated.
    I say no, it's horse chit and placebo. Where do they have you taped up at?

hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) hidingwithmusic is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I say no, it's horse chit and placebo. Where do they have you taped up at?
    I'm taped a large X in my back and a horizontal line on my mid back and another upper back.. yeh, this can't work because it's too good to be true. I goto a physical therapist to fix my posture and not even they can help.

Originally Posted by hidingwithmusic View Post
    I'm taped a large X in my back and a horizontal line on my mid back and another upper back.. yeh, this can't work because it's too good to be true. I goto a physical therapist to fix my posture and not even they can help.
    piss on that BS. Give these a try

Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey Tank. I originally posted this in another thread but it didn't get much attention. Someone (RobParks2M) recommended that you would be knowledgeable in this area.

I came across this graphic:

Let's assume that vVO2max (velocity @VO2max) can be estimated using 3k time.

Men's 3000m WR is 7:20.67. Account for 1 sec acceleration, that's 3000/439.67 = 6.82 m/s.
    Men's 100m WR is 9.58. Account for 1 sec acceleration, that's 100/8.58 = 11.66 m/s.

11.66 / 6.82 = 1.70967741935 = ~170% of vVO2 max. 400 times turns out to be ~140% of vVO2 max. So this chart seems entirely valid.

But I can't help but feel that Usain Bolt doesn't run a 7:20 3k, or really any 3ks at all.
    Therefore he would be running at a higher % of VO2 max, let's say he runs a 10:00 3k, which is 5 m/s. Probably faster than that, let's go 5.5 m/s. That means he's sprinting at 11.66/5.5 212% of VO2 max speed, way ahead of 170% which is already thought to be all-out.

Does the ability to perform at higher percent of VO2 max signify a sprinter, while the ability to sustain a high level of VO2 max suggest a distance athlete? Is this chart bogus? Is this a way to quantify sprintiness? How high can we get on percent VO2 max?

Okay, no more rambling.

TL;DR: Is there an equation anyone can give me for percent VO2 max sustainable versus time? Is % VO2max meaningful? Does this pretty chart mean anything?

Thanks in advance.
    ~ Swim Crew ~
    ~ CS Major Crew ~
    ~ Business Minor Crew ~

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Swimstrong View Post
    Hey Tank. I originally posted this in another thread but it didn't get much attention. Someone (RobParks2M) recommended that you would be knowledgeable in this area.

I came across this graphic:

Let's assume that vVO2max (velocity @VO2max) can be estimated using 3k time.

Men's 3000m WR is 7:20.67. Account for 1 sec acceleration, that's 3000/439.67 = 6.82 m/s.
    Men's 100m WR is 9.58. Account for 1 sec acceleration, that's 100/8.58 = 11.66 m/s.

11.66 / 6.82 = 1.70967741935 = ~170% of vVO2 max. 400 times turns out to be ~140% of vVO2 max. So this chart seems entirely valid.

But I can't help but feel that Usain Bolt doesn't run a 7:20 3k, or really any 3ks at all.
    Therefore he would be running at a higher % of VO2 max, let's say he runs a 10:00 3k, which is 5 m/s. Probably faster than that, let's go 5.5 m/s. That means he's sprinting at 11.66/5.5 212% of VO2 max speed, way ahead of 170% which is already thought to be all-out.

Does the ability to perform at higher percent of VO2 max signify a sprinter, while the ability to sustain a high level of VO2 max suggest a distance athlete? Is this chart bogus? Is this a way to quantify sprintiness? How high can we get on percent VO2 max?

Okay, no more rambling.

TL;DR: Is there an equation anyone can give me for percent VO2 max sustainable versus time? Is % VO2max meaningful? Does this pretty chart mean anything?

Thanks in advance.
    In addition to lactate differences, other factors such as the individuals substrate use, fiber type, and other physiological variables will all vary considerably at a fixed percent of VO2max. This was demonstrated in a recent study by Vollaard et al. (2009). The study showed that while on average improvements were seen in a variety of endurance parameters after six weeks of endurance training, the individuality of the response was widespread with some showing even negative responses to the training, even though the training was at the same 70%VO2max intensity for all subjects (Vollaard et al., 2009). The study showed that there was a wide range of adaptation in maximal and submaximal tests including VO2 parameters, muscle enzyme activity, and metabolite levels. An interesting finding in the study is that low responders for an increased VO2max were not low responders in other parameters. The change in VO2max did not correlate with the change in performance on a time trial, which is a significant finding demonstrating that perhaps more attention should be paid to changing in performance instead of manipulating physiological parameters such as VO2max. One has to question the training recommendations based on training designed at improving parameters such as VO2max, with the assumption being that performance will improve because of it, when studies show that change in VO2max are often not linked with a change in performance. This phenomenon of varied response is not new and can be seen in a wide array of training situations, such as altitude training for example (Chapman et al., 1998).

You have likely heard of it before followed by a lungful of physio-jabber. VO2max is one of the most important physiological measurements that can be made, and yet also one of the most misrepresented.

What is VO2max? VO2max in short is the peak amount of oxygen that your body can use. This also directly tells you the maximum amount of energy your body can produce aerobically. It's determined in a lab by hooking a volunteer up to a machine that measures the amount of oxygen in the air vs how much oxygen is exhaled (and a few other things as well). Using this info they can directly determine how much oxygen the volunteer is using. This gives the absolute VO2max, how much per minute, and when divided by body weight, you get the VO2max that is most often used (how much per minute per Kg of body weight).

Think of VO2max as an engine--your absolute VO2max (amount of oxygen consumed per minute) is how big your engine is, but depending on the size of your vehicle (body weight), the actual power of the engine differs. A high VO2max is like putting a big engine in a little car.

What does VO2max mean to me? To most individuals, ultimately not very much. Since it's a measure of the upper limit of aerobic energy, it gives you a ceiling for performance in endurance races. That is really about it unless you are actually performing a study using VO2max as a variable.

What doesn't VO2max mean?

VO2max is not something that can adapt very much to training. The amount to which VO2max can increase is approximately 10%, and individuals that increase much more than that are almost exclusively those who are in poor condition before starting to train though. Most people will reach their peak value of VO2max after about 12 weeks of training doing high-intensity intervals.

VO2max is not a good predictor of race performance. Take, for example, Frank Shorter who won the Gold medal in the marathon in Munich 1972 and then Silver in Montreal 4 years later, best time of 2:10:30, and a 5k best of 13:26. He had a VO2max of 71.3. Compare this to the slew of runners (Don Kardung [77.4], Amby Burfoot [74.3], and even myself [74.8]) that are slower, and in my case much slower than Frank. Dr. Tim Noakes, a famous physiologist with special interest in marathon and ultramarathon distances actually found VO2max to be one of the poorest predictors of race performance.

Just like VO2max cannot be used as a predictor of performance, the opposite is true--performances cannot be used to asses VO2max. It may seem counterintuitive, but there are lots of websites out there that give formulas for "I ran xx:xx for y miles, my VO2max is z", or prescribe physical tests that you can do to estimate it. This is, to put it lightly, highly inaccurate. These measure are however useful, and in my opinion far more useful than actually knowing your VO2max--a value called VDOT.

...VDOT you say?

Yes, VDOT. It is a value widely used by Dr. Jack Daniels as well as many others to conveniently eliminate the need to do sophisticated tests while simultaneously account for all the other variables that lead to VO2max being a poor predictor. Using VO2max as a predictor, your performance at y distance in xx:xx IS your VDOT. Essentially, the VDOT is your "effective" VO2max.

Using VDOT, it's possible to determine other approximate training paces, based on your current level of fitness, rather than a relatively non-versatile variable. Tables and formulas have made this kind of pace-calculating widely available.

List of athletes with measured VO2max (From Lore of Running)

Dave Bedford: 85 (10K WR)

Steve Prefontaine: 84.4 (3:54.6 mile)

Gary Tuttle: 82.7 (2:17 marathon)

Kip Keino: 82.0 (2K WR)

Don Lash: 81.5 (2 mile WR)

Craig Virgin: 81.1 (2:10:26 marathon)

Jim Ryun: 81.0 (1 mile WR)

Steve Scott: 80.1 (3:37.69 1500m)

Bill Rodgers: 78.5 (2:09:27 marathon)

Matthews Temane: 78.0 (Half Marathon WR)

Don Kardong: 77.4 (2:11:15 marathon)

Tom O'Reilly: 77.0 (927 km in 6 day race)

John Landy: 76.6 (1 mile WR)

Alberto Salazar: 76.0 (Marathon WR)

Johnny Halberstadt: 74.4 (2:11:44 marathon)

Amby Burfoot: 74.3 (2:14:25 marathon)

Cavin Woodward: 74.2 (48-160 km WR)

Kenny Moore: 74.2 (2:11:36 marathon)

Bruce Fordyce: 73.3 (80 km WR)

Grete Waitz: 73.0 (Marathon WR)

Buddy Edelen: 73.0 (Marathon WR)

Peter Snell: 72.3 (1 mile WR)

Zithulele Sinqe: 72.0 (2:08:05 marathon)

Frank Shorter: 71.3 (2:10:30 marathon)

Willie Mtolo: 70.3 (2:08:15 marathon)

Derek Clayton: 69.7 (Marathon WR)
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50) Swimstrong will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by SkinnyBeast24 View Post
    vdot talk
    I guess I am looking at VDOT more than VO2Max after all. Thanks for the clarity!
    ~ Swim Crew ~
    ~ CS Major Crew ~
    ~ Business Minor Crew ~

Registered User Jadedfadedisbae's Avatar
    Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jadedfadedisbae is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Will I lose 20 pounds by July 4th from following strict keto and eating around 1200 calories a day? Also going to workout to maintain muscle mass.

5'8 185 lbs. Gained about 30 over the last 2 years from college lifestyle. Would like to get back to natural weight of 155. Would like to not look fat for the beach on the 4th of July.
    300 Tinder matches and jadedfaded still the most beautiful thing iv ever seen

Originally Posted by Jadedfadedisbae View Post
    Will I lose 20 pounds by July 4th from following strict keto and eating around 1200 calories a day? Also going to workout to maintain muscle mass.

5'8 185 lbs. Gained about 30 over the last 2 years from college lifestyle. Would like to get back to natural weight of 155. Would like to not look fat for the beach on the 4th of July.
    It's possible but it will be tough. The lower bf% you get, the harder it tends to be (for some) to keep dropping weight. This isnt universal by any means because professional bodybuilders, who fluctuate up and down in terms of bf% yearly can do this easily. But for the general population, i would think this is a tough feat, but still within the realm of possible, but it will definitely test your metal. If you are like me, and need constant reminders on WHY you are doing this, set some short term goals, and I mean write them down to where you can check them off daily. So Plan your meals, workouts, something that reinforces your enthusiasm for losing the weight (looking at old pics of yourself when you were cut like diamonds, homo porn (lol...got ya *******), reading up on dieting etc....establishing a regular routine. This makes it somewhat subconscious and easier to stay the course

cutting to auschwitz mode cheeseNmills's Avatar
    cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey tank, appreciate the thread, lots of great info in here.

I'm currently trying to join the military and have my medical and physical tests coming up in about 3 months. I need to do a Cooper test and run 2800 meters among some other things.

My question is: What's the most efficient way to build up your VO2 max in your opinion? HIIT or long distance cardio?

I'm currently shedding a lot of weight by being in a high protein/med fat/low carb diet at a 300 cal deficit. Would creatine monohydrate aid in building up endurance or will the added water weight just lower my VO2 max?
    Less thunder in mouth, more lightning in hand.

Originally Posted by cheeseNmills View Post
    Hey tank, appreciate the thread, lots of great info in here.

I'm currently trying to join the military and have my medical and physical tests coming up in about 3 months. I need to do a Cooper test and run 2800 meters among some other things.

My question is: What's the most efficient way to build up your VO2 max in your opinion? HIIT or long distance cardio?

I'm currently shedding a lot of weight by being in a high protein/med fat/low carb diet at a 300 cal deficit. Would creatine monohydrate aid in building up endurance or will the added water weight just lower my VO2 max?
    2800 meters so you are doing air force/navy?

Quick and to the point: Running as fast as you can makes you breath as hard as you can (i.e. forced breathing) which increases VO2 max. For this specific distance, i would recommend 60/120s. SPRINT for 60 seconds, then walk to 120 seconds. Do 4-6 cycles of these. To get the max benefit, you really need to SPRINT and give it your all. But fair warning, if you are not wanting to contemplate suicide, you arent giving it your all. But also, you PROBABLY wont be able to start of with 60 second sprints. Start with 30/60s instead. Cut those in half at the beginning if you need to, but just TRY your best to add in another cycle or increase your spring time EACH day. What i mean is, I myself (if i could actually sprint without my foot going numb and rolling my ankle so bad i could never walk on it again), i would need to start with 15/30s (spring for 15 secs and walk for 30) and would have to increase it weekly to 20/40s and move up accordingly. This REALLY helped my 2 mile run time in the army. One hard as fuk to remember tip for springing (well, running in general) is to remember to breath IN through your nose and OUT through your mouth. In that order. This helped me because I had to REALLY concentrate on keeping that cycle, which helped me keep my rhythm and kept my mind off how much i hated running for time. It also helps deliver O2 to the muscles more effectively and bump out O2 and waste

But also, throw in some long distance once or twice a week just so you can get that endurance benefit as well.
    Last edited by tank2003; 05-23-2018 at 01:38 AM.

cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) cheeseNmills is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    2800 meters so you are doing air force/navy?

Quick and to the point: Running as fast as you can makes you breath as hard as you can (i.e. forced breathing) which increases VO2 max. For this specific distance, i would recommend 60/120s. SPRINT for 60 seconds, then walk to 120 seconds. Do 4-6 cycles of these. To get the max benefit, you really need to SPRINT and give it your all. But fair warning, if you are not wanting to contemplate suicide, you arent giving it your all. But also, you PROBABLY wont be able to start of with 60 second sprints. Start with 30/60s instead. Cut those in half at the beginning if you need to, but just TRY your best to add in another cycle or increase your spring time EACH day. What i mean is, I myself (if i could actually sprint without my foot going numb and rolling my ankle so bad i could never walk on it again), i would need to start with 15/30s (spring for 15 secs and walk for 30) and would have to increase it weekly to 20/40s and move up accordingly. This REALLY helped my 2 mile run time in the army. One hard as fuk to remember tip for springing (well, running in general) is to remember to breath IN through your nose and [b]OUT[/i] through your mouth. In that order. This helped me because I had to REALLY concentrate on keeping that cycle, which helped me keep my rhythm and kept my mind off how much i hated running for time. It also helps deliver O2 to the muscles more effectively and bump out O2 and waste

But also, throw in some long distance once or twice a week just so you can get that endurance benefit as well.
    Combat Support Engineers, the 2800 meters need to be ran under 12 minutes which should roughly correlate to a VO2 max of around 50

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll start adding the sprints into my routine and watch my breathing more carefully. How often do you do these? Twice a week?

Originally Posted by cheeseNmills View Post
    Combat Support Engineers, the 2800 meters need to be ran under 12 minutes which should roughly correlate to a VO2 max of around 50

Thanks a lot for the advice, I'll start adding the sprints into my routine and watch my breathing more carefully. How often do you do these? Twice a week?
    Do you know your VO2 max right now? At LEAST twice a week but i would shoot for 3 or even 4 depending on what your max is right now

Do you know your VO2 max right now? At LEAST twice a week but i would shoot for 3 or even 4 depending on what your max is right now
    It should be somewhere in the 40-45 range. I had it tested about two years ago and it came out at 44, that was after training endurance for around 2-3 months. I've lost nearly 40 lbs in weight and quit smoking since then so I'm hoping to shoot past that mark this time.

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Sup tank, how's the M.S. going? Just graduated last Saturday so it's finally 100% official.

Here's a blogpost on anterior pelvic tilt I wrote up. Did my thesis on the subject. I also added google documents to a 8 week program with the goal of correcting it.

https://wordpress.com/read/blogs/142063492/posts/3

Goal is trying to get published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning now. Will keep yall posted and link it it goes well
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Last week I was lifting heavy bags of dried fruit, and the way I was had to lift them my wrists were bent in ulnar deviation.

Now for the past week I’ve had some pretty sharp pain around the bony protrusion of the radius in the wrist (not sure what that part is called) whenever I do both radial and ulnar deviation. Also, every night if I fall asleep on that arm when I wake up my wrist will feel tight and I feel a ligament or tendon slipping over that bony protrusion.

Haven’t lifted in a few weeks but next week I’ll be back at it and I’m afraid of making this pain worse, or just my lift sessions not going as well.

Wut do?
    Follow my IG @kaseyx_music and listen to me on Spotify

Buy my sticker: kaseyx.bigcartel.com

Originally Posted by jesusxchrist View Post
    Last week I was lifting heavy bags of dried fruit, and the way I was had to lift them my wrists were bent in ulnar deviation.

Now for the past week I’ve had some pretty sharp pain around the bony protrusion of the radius in the wrist (not sure what that part is called) whenever I do both radial and ulnar deviation. Also, every night if I fall asleep on that arm when I wake up my wrist will feel tight and I feel a ligament or tendon slipping over that bony protrusion.

Haven’t lifted in a few weeks but next week I’ll be back at it and I’m afraid of making this pain worse, or just my lift sessions not going as well.

Wut do?
    So it hurts in both in both deviations at both styloid processes? And you are sure that the grocery bag lifting is what triggered it....

It sounds like you have a minor sprain/strain. Fractures are usually caused by blunt forces or impacts while the sprains and strains tend to come from twisting/bending/rolling (ankles)...that sort of thing. I' sure you knew that though
    -Does it hurt to palmar/dorsi flex?
    -Hurt to Supinate/pronate?

I wouldnt be TOO alarmed about the tendon slipping over the bony landmark because a lot of joints make that popping noise that way. The patellar tendons can do that over the patells, and there is somethign called snapping tricep syndrome, its more serious though especially for bodybuilders because of the muscle mass. But anyway, its not the ligament because that would hurt like a mother fukker and ligaments int he wrist are so weak that they would tear if they were mobile enough to get caught on anything.

But it sounds like a sprain, but, the nearest ligaments are slightly ABOVE where the styloid processes are

jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) jesusxchrist has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    It was when I was working in a food factory as a temp lifting 30 lb bags of dried fruit repeatedly lol it wasn’t grocery bags brah

But

-Does it hurt to palmar/dorsi flex? - No
    -Hurt to Supinate/pronate? - No

From that pic I would say it’s my RCL that is the area of pain. I only feel the pain on the radius, but both deviations cause pain in the area.

Also I tried doing some DB curls in my room to see how they’d feel and they definitely caused pain in my wrist.
    Follow my IG @kaseyx_music and listen to me on Spotify

Buy my sticker: kaseyx.bigcartel.com

Originally Posted by jesusxchrist View Post
    It was when I was working in a food factory as a temp lifting 30 lb bags of dried fruit repeatedly lol it wasn’t grocery bags brah

But

-Does it hurt to palmar/dorsi flex? - No
    -Hurt to Supinate/pronate? - No

From that pic I would say it’s my RCL that is the area of pain. I only feel the pain on the radius, but both deviations cause pain in the area.

Also I tried doing some DB curls in my room to see how they’d feel and they definitely caused pain in my wrist.
    Well bro, this is beyond my scope, but i still think its a sprain. Try getting a splint, some NSAIDs, ice and rest